Stour Valley Path 100km ultra - SVP100

2»

Comments

• SAFERSAFER ✭✭✭

I'v done it! Signed up and hotel booked. Now just need to get some training done!

PP: will get to convince you to head to SA after all!

• Good work SAFER!

The SVP100 2014 is now half full (75 runners), with just over 140 days to go. Make sure to sign up soon if there is anyone else wanting to join us later this year for this beautiful ultra www.svp100.co.uk

• If anyone would like to speak to me directly about the SVP100, I'll be running the South Downs Way 50 this weekend. I'll be wearing my green SVP100 t-shirt, with a Salomon hydration pack. Not sure about my race pace, it will all depend upon my knee (and recent snowboarding injuries)
  • I've just set up a community page on Facebook for the SVP100. Feel free to add yourself if you are a runner, volunteer, spectator: https://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/SVP100/

• I ran the section between Bures and Stratford last weekend and its now almost amazingly dry, apart from one short section along the side of Stoke by Nayland golf course which must be slightly spring fed. The fallen trees have also been moved, so its now in pretty good shape apart from a badly broken footbridge about a mile after Bures, but its easy to see and skirt. Very noticeable that the Suffolk side has lots of new gates, stiles and signs whereas Essex is quite poorly maintained.

• Interesting feedback, thanks Kevin. Sounds like the Essex council need to spend a little more cash image

• SAFERSAFER ✭✭✭

Three questions: 

Shoes: road shoes or do I need to invest in some trail shoes?

GPS: would any one recommend a GPS handheld device or is the path easy enough to follow using signs and a map?

backpack: any reccomendations on type, make, capacity of backpack? I have a kamelbak 1.5L with no storage so need to upgrade but not sure to what. Suggestions welcome.

• Hi SAFER,

You might also want to ask these questions on our Facebook group page:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/SVP100/

Regarding shoes, I'd suggest trail, unless it's been particularly dry throughout summer. 

It's always good to have a GPS as backup. I've used Viewranger on my mobile phone before. It's a free app, and the route can be downloaded here: http://my.viewranger.com/route/details/MjIwMTg= Just watch out for your battery life though.

Regarding backpacks, there are loads on the market. I quite like the Salomon range, but there are plenty of other excellent brands. Check out the Ultramarathon Running Store, and you can use your SVP100 discount code (you will have received the code in your registration email). 

• SAFERSAFER ✭✭✭

Thanks Matt. After I posted my questions I stumbled across last years thread,so picked up,some tips from there. I had already got view ranger so will use that with a spare battery on my phone. Thanks for the advice re the discount code will take a look. Cheers.

• SAFERSAFER ✭✭✭

Matt: see you may be in Richmond meeting up with the comrades folk. I was hoping to drop in to meet you and say hello, but I have a work dinner that night. We had a great evening last year in the same pub! 

• The bits of the route I've done so far are a pain in the arse to follow, quite frankly.  

• SAFER - shame you won't be able to make it down to Richmond. I'll definitely try and make it along though.

Peronel - what have you been using to navigate? If you are relying only on waymarkers, there are definitely a few points where you will struggle. We suggest the use of the gpx file (or Viewranger), or even a O.S. map to familiarise yourself with the route. We will try out best to mark it out on the day of the race as well.

• O.S. map and waymarkers.  With a map it's fine, but the markers on their own aren't sufficient.  I have seen Cavendish green from many directions!

• Agreed, the waymarkers are not enough alone, but they are pretty good in general. Hopefully drapers tape on the day will help runners, in addition to maps and GPS. All part of the fun of ultra marathon trail running

• Runners, the following Guide will be made a mandatory piece of equipment for the race day. Either download and print, or order online. If you have an older edition of the route guide (as kindly provided by the council last year), that will be suitable too: http://www.dedhamvalestourvalley.org/stour-valley-path/
  • SAFERSAFER ✭✭✭

This has to be the quietest thread ever! Is that because everyone is out training all the time? My Solomon S-lab 12 arrived yesterday. It could have done with a few setup instructions! 

• Ha ha...well, according to the SVP100 community page on Facebook, people are definitely training hard image

I also have a Solomon S-lab 12...great piece of kit, but definitely agree about the need for instructions.

• As you know, the success of any race is heavily dependent upon having a team of enthusiastic volunteers. At this point in time, with just under 60 days to go, I’m still looking for a few more helpers. As such, if anyone is able to spare some time on that date, please do let me know.

Full details for the race and volunteering details can be found through the following link:

There are a variety of roles available, ranging from driving a people carrier / minivan, helping at a checkpoint, to marking the route or sweeping, depending on how active you’d like to make your day out.

Many of the checkpoints and the finish line are all adjacent to country pubs, so it’s a great way to see some of the Suffolk / Essex countryside. The route passes through many beautiful villages, in addition to the Dedham Vale Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty, where the famous artist John Constable painted many of his best known landscapes.

Also, as we are holding the race on a Saturday, there are good train and bus services running.    

Many thanks in advance and I hope some of you can join me in the countryside on the 16th August. It should be a great day, whether you are running or helping out!

• Yes, not long at all. Very exciting image

• Has anyone got a runkeeper route of SVP I could look at? I plan to use View Ranger on the day (assuming the maps download en route?) but want to take a close look at the route through RK as I am more familiar with it.

• Hi CheesyRider. Watch out for the battery life of your phone if you are using ViewRanger on the day. It will be fine if you turn off all other data etc. and only use the app and GPS when you really need it...otherwise it will drain your battery in around 9 hours.

If you don't get an answer here, do feel free to post on our Facebook community site.

• Great race. Thoroughly enjoyed it Matthew. One of the best, if not the best, organised races I've taken part in. Love the t-shirt and medal too! Big thank you to all the check point station people and others we saw on route. Can't praise you all enough.

• Thanks ever so much BenjiBoyW, glad to hear you enjoyed it. If you get a moment, please feel free to share your feedback here. Many thanks and hope to see you again in the future: http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/events/ratingsall.asp?ugn=12827&sp=&v=7

• way2slowway2slow ✭✭✭

Can i too just say how much i enjoyed the race Matt - was brilliantly organised and didn't need to get a map out once it had been marked up so well image. Think the distance was maybe a couple of miles too far for me so will stick with slightly shorter stuff in future but would be more than happy to help out on CP1 next year if i'm needed (live in Northants so not just round the corner but think it's important to support fab races like yours). Hope to make it down for the marathon distance next year if it's on - it really is a gorgeous route to run!

• Thank you for the review BanjiBoyW, much appreciated image

Glad you enjoyed the race too way2slow. If you are happy to leave a race review through the link mentioned above, it will hopefully help us attract more runners in the future. We would be very happy to receive any help next year, and hope to see you at the Stour Valley marathon.