Looking for experience

Hope some of you guys might have advice.

Has anyone had a stress fracture in their feet? If so was it sudden and acutely painful or was it a gradual thing that progressively got worse? I have had a pain in the ball of my foot around the third metatarsul which came on following a run, but not during it. Post run it got progressively painful just to put weight on that foot. I have been resting it for 5 days now and am contemplating running again as it seems a lot better. Do I risk it?

Comments

• Yes, I've had 5 of them, and yes, it was a sudden and acute sharp pain followed by a throbbing ache that lasted for days.

Pain under the 3rd metatarsal sounds like it could be Morton's neuroma. Then again it could be a bone bruise. Have you been icing it? That's always treatment number 1 for injuries.

If it's not hurting now I would test it very gently. Stop running immediately if you feel pain and get yourself to a doc for an x-ray.
  • Hmm, I had a pain like this, third metatarsul, it would come on suddenly after about 10 miles and go after about 15 ... I was marathon training so ignored it.

Then I changed shoe brands and ... it went. Very strange.

Could be worth checking the insole of your shoe - you could have a ruck in the insole, or a little stone underneath, which is causing a pressure-injury.

Apart from that - do as Ironwolf says! Rest! Ice!
  • Thanks guys.

I didn't run today as I have a heavy cold so that is a weeks rest for my foot now which can't be a bad thing. The pain came on following a 7 mile run, which was the day after a very intense cross country race in Spikes which give little or no protection.

I am starting to go stir crazy and I will be running tomorrow cold or not. My foot seems fine walking around. Today I pushed a pram about 3 miles.
  • Definitely sounds like a stress fracture to me. I still get the pain now and then as I don't think I let it rest - also being a woman, I don't think wearing heels helps. I'd say rest it for at least two weeks - also try aqua jogging to give your feet a break every so often.
  • Ran today. Foot seems ok. Surely this doesn't fit with a stress fracture? Perhaps it was some sort of bruising (I hope).