The transition between half and full marathon?

Hi all,

After undertaking ten half marathon. I've finally bit the bullet and entered into a full marathon - Edinburgh in May. I'm now starting to get a little bit daunted about how to go about it?

This year I've really stepped up the training (stretching more, eating better and doing other exercise sessions besides running) and have got my half time down to 1:21:51.

However, I've never actually run further than 14.5 miles before and on that day I got lost! I also struggle with taking the pace off in training, I've got better at this this year but I do still tend to struggle with not pushing things to hard in training.

I'm think of perhaps joining a club in order to aid with the training.

Anyhow just how bad is the transition? Can anyone offer any advise?

Comments

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

All depends on how you 'hit the wall' in the marathon. Everyone does, just for some they barely notice when they do.

At best you don't slow down, just feel like its more effort. At worse you stop stone dead and have lie down.

Weird event the marathon. It takes you beyond normal fatigue levels. Hard to train to cover it.

🙂

• It's perfectly natural to be nervous about running double the distance, but I'd say that if you're running a half in just over 1:20 then your a more than decent standard! To get to where you are over 13.1 I assume you've been able to sensibly schedule your running, so with the right advice stepping your training up to marathon racing shouldn't be a problem.

One piece of advice would be to join a club if you're not already a member of one, and see if there is anyone who is around your ability level for the half who has experience of moving up to a marathon, and pick their brains and possibly train with them. Most clubs also have qualified coaches who'll be able to give you advice as your training progresses, which would be much more valuable than reading an online training schedule or snippets of advice.

Above all, enjoy it - marathons are a great experience, and I reckon you'll do a great time at Edinburgh next year - all the very best with you training over the next six months.

• Once you get a few 20's done you will have more of an idea what its like and will have to slow the pace down on the long runs or it will exhaust you .

• SEdanSEdan ✭✭✭

If you can run a half in that time you should have no trouble finishing a marathon in a reasonable time. You must be doing at least 30 or 40 mpw already?