Options

Ridgeway Challenge 2014

1235»

Comments

• Options
    T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Great report, Shawk.  A good read.  I like to see reports on relevant threads such as this one and they are much more likely to be read and be of later use as a resource of information.  Not everyone trusts links on open forums. And not everyone can be bothered to set up and maintain a blog. 

The TRA, for whom this race is their flagship event, do not seem to have a strong following at all.  I would agree this race is the best long ultra out there for runner support and general friendliness.  The organisers go out of their way to assist runners who do not have race crews, including transport to and from the nearest railway station.  They are not in a position to transport back to the start as some e.g. Centurionrunning do which might be off-putting to some. When I have run this I take the train to Tring and return home from Swindon.

Hope everyone else on here who ran this got on OK?  booktrunk?

• Options
    T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Excellent blog and photos, though, Richyla.  Your experience sounds amazingly similar to at least three of my R85s!  Glad you could keep going.  In 2012 I was going even more slowly and eventually had to stop at the beginning of the badly rutted section with only 2 miles to go.

Sounds like you went off very quickly, perhaps too quickly?  Even on my 21hr completion it was dark well before Goring.

• Options
    shawkshawk ✭✭✭

Yep, nice read Richyla and congrats for making it to the end. I would be tempted to agree with t-rex re pacing if you were aiming for a cut-off finish then goring before dark suggests you may have pushed yourself too much early on. Last time out I arrived at goring after 10pm and was still a wreck by the end - though I guess if you didn't have the issue with your leg then you'd have been a lot more comfortable in the end and we wouldn't be writing this. How is the recovery going?

I passed booktrunk just after Princes Risborough and she was in a bad way, the injuries she had were causing problems so I assume she (rightly) called it a day soon after.

• Options

T-Rex - yep I remember thinking of you at the turn off point with your rhabdo.  

I was pretty pleased with my pacing to be honest, I'd really gone out slowly, just went over the top at one point near Uffington which was a big mistake. 

But it's a long way and lots to learn.  I reckon you could run this every year and it would be different ie weather conditions, how well training went etc.  Mine had slacked off with the summer holidays, I knew it and paid for it.

But I loved it!

Regarding recovery:  I'm moving about anyway, just don't ask me up for a cheeky 20 back on the Ridgeway at the moment!

• Options

Btw T-Rex - how many times did you run the Ridgeway?

Shawk - if you want, you could send your report to Tim Mitchell, he said he was looking for race reports/blogs to publish in his TRA Magazine?

• Options

Fantastic reports Richyla and Shawk, loved reading those image

• Options
    T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

2009  21:46

2010  25:56 (helping somebody)

2011  24:37

2012  DNF at mile 83

2013  23:50

I do want to get somewhere near or better than my 2009 time at some point, but don't know when that will be.  Want the rhabdo threat to have disappeared before I attempt it.

• Options

Great report Shawk. I was absolutely gutted not to reach the start line but all being well I'll be there next year.

• Options

http://hrhalanbutlerultrarunningloony.wordpress.com/

Ridgeway Challenge 2014 All round great value for money and well worth the £50 entry fee read my Blog to see for yourself and to get a taste of how enjoyable it was image

• Options

Already entered for 2015 too image #lovethisultra