Options

Parkrun points competition

I'm having some vague thoughts about having a crack at my local parkrun's annual points competition. I'll have run something like 35 parkruns this calender year, although I did a fair amount of tourism. It's occurred to me that if I stick to one parkrun and average a 10th place finish, I might actually stand a good chance of finishing in the top 3.

Wondering if anyone has had a serious go at this? If so, how did it go and any advice? At the moment it's just a vague thought, and I've got 6 months or so to make my mind up. Think it's my only chance of winning some silverware.

Comments

• Options
    Tom77 wrote (see)

I'm having some vague thoughts about having a crack at my local parkrun's annual points competition. I'll have run something like 35 parkruns this calender year, although I did a fair amount of tourism. It's occurred to me that if I stick to one parkrun and average a 10th place finish, I might actually stand a good chance of finishing in the top 3.

Wondering if anyone has had a serious go at this? If so, how did it go and any advice? At the moment it's just a vague thought, and I've got 6 months or so to make my mind up. Think it's my only chance of winning some silverware.

Don't you win a £20 Sweatshop voucher or something?  Hardly seems worth it, for what is essentially a year long commitment.

The last winner at my local Parkrun never came in the top 5 in a single race.  He won it through consistency, turning up week in, week out, and finishing anywhere between 10th and 20th each week.

Might be harder to do that now though, as numbers at most park runs are growing and more runners turn out regularly.

• Options

Only in my own humble opinion, I would prefer it if you could have a maximum of 40 runs or something to count. so that it goes to the better runner rather than the guy who didn't go on holiday or whatever. 

• Options

I aim for a top 10 place at mine, just as a bit of fun. It's absolutely about consistency. I'll always fall out of the running sooner or later through having to miss parkruns but it adds a bit of interest while I'm there or thereabouts. Don't forget to volunteer three times - 100 points for each, but no points for volunteering after the three . 

• Options

I won the ladies prize at mine last year......by basically making sure I turned up as often as I could. However since I have about  25 First Lady across the lines in that time I thought I earned it image

• Options

Think I've only done 4 parkruns since (August)  you can get a bit fed up of it!

• Options

How can you check the points totals?

• Options

its only a bit of fun.....its to encourage participation in events...remember park runs are not races...

so i think its fine that prizes etc are given with bias towards particpation instead of speed.

the quick people have enough races throughout the year where they can win the trophies or prizes....

if you want to win a trophy and are fast just enter a race........

• Options

I'm third in the Wimbledon Common one this year with just December to go, and I never finish higher than somewhere in the 30s, usually lower than that and yesterday in about 80th. Rewards people who turn up regularly, which is fair enough. I'm never going to trouble the scorers at the sharp end.

• Options

parkrun is a non competetive fun event aimed at encouraging all to participate at all levels. The points award being a reflection on participation, ability and volunteering.

Have you considered targetting your local running club Grand Prix events?

• Options

If it's non competitive why is there points for the highest finish? Why is there a table. Ricardo de Cabeza 

• Options

just to add some fun for those that want it.to keep people motivated image

• Options

I like the scoring method, there's a saying that 80% of success is showing up.

I have volunteered occasionally. I've done course setup, which means you can volunteer and run. Have to get up early for that though.

I'll have a look at how the points competition pans out in the next 6 months. If I reckon I've got a good chance of winning by showing up about 40 times I'll probably go for it.

• Options

Parkruns are not races, but they are accurately measured 5k courses and the timings are also included in RunBritain Rankings, they do count.

I look on them as 5k time trials, love them to bits but cannot do as many as I would like.

• Options

People start at the same time time and are timed. Results are recorded. What makes that different from a race?. You're just being pedantic about terminology. 

• Options

no prizes and no medals .......image

• Options

I don't get that raceday adrenaline feeling from them. Probably why I run them so slowly.

• Options

I do literatin at most of them........but did one with only about 30 runners in and had no one in front of me that i could see and no one behind catching me.......my race adrenaline drained from me after the first mile and it felt like a training run

• Options
    WombleWomble ✭✭✭

How are the points calculated? I did my first one a couple of weeks back.

• Options

You add up the units , the tens and the hundreds and then you get a total amount

• Options

I'm always chasing my PB at Park runs and then looking at my photo on their FB page in the forlorn hope that they'll be a good one of me.

I may be naïve and easily pleased but I think it's fantastic that there is something that's actually good for you & the whole family, well organised and FREE!!!! I'm struggling to think of anything else that is...anyone? Maybe that's the point eh?! 

• Options
    Sussex Runner NLR wrote (see)

People start at the same time time and are timed. Results are recorded. What makes that different from a race?. You're just being pedantic about terminology. 

Well if you ask those that started parkrun off and those that organise them, they are not races, but timed runs.  So no, I am not being pedantic, just saying.

I was corrected once when I referred to a parkrun as a race you see image

• Options
    mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

Parkrun is whatever you want it to be. It's a race if you race it, training run if you take it easy or a walk in a park. Who cares what some else thinks?

• Options

I care what other people think because to me it's a race. If the new runner across the road asks me though, I say it's just a run and all sorts of pram pushers and dog walkers and even women do it. I wouldn't get up for a 3 mile jog in the park but I like that everyone does it how they want. But isn't that the same in any race? Apart from the rules are a bit slacker? (ipods, push chairs, dogs, kids all welcome) If there is a key difference between a "race" and a parkrun it's the all welcoming attitude.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Sussex Runner NLR wrote (see)

people who do a lot of park runs seem incredibly tetchy if you don't write it "parkrun" as one word, or if you dare to state it's a race.

Why publish results and rank them if it's not a race?

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Philomena wrote (see)

I care what other people think because to me it's a race. If the new runner across the road asks me though, I say it's just a run and all sorts of pram pushers and dog walkers and even women do it. I wouldn't get up for a 3 mile jog in the park but I like that everyone does it how they want. But isn't that the same in any race? Apart from the rules are a bit slacker? (ipods, push chairs, dogs, kids all welcome) If there is a key difference between a "race" and a parkrun it's the all welcoming attitude.

Most bizarre participant I've heard of, was some woman who uses 2 huskies to propel her along, carving a couple of minutes or so off her proper time.

Seems an odd thing to do, why not just turn up and have a motorbike drag you along on a skateboard. You surely either run it fairly or don't bother.