10 year old son 5k time - 20min 3 seconds

2»

Comments

• There is new guidance forthcoming from parkrun on safeguarding children, but essentially in most run briefings you'll be told that kids should run supervised to protect against that exact risk. CRB (Or now DBS) checks are unlikely to be introduced as it would totally cost ineffective.

The policy will largely follow UKA guidelines. http://www.uka.org.uk/governance/welfare-and-safeguarding/

That said, parkrun volunteers are usually in parkrun branded hi-vis but this may vary from event to event.

Marshals are encouaged to report suspicious activity if spotted and usually the community of runners know which are and are not official marshal points, and any runner is welcome to ask a volunteer to look at a map of such positions in advance, just speak to the run director (You can find out who that is by asking any volunteer).

Ultimately any parkrun is run at your own risk and responsible parenting practices should always be followed - but thats the same with any activity not just parkrunimage

• I asked my Grandad for his thoughts and he said in his day he used to jog 5 miles to school. It was uphill both ways and snowed most days. He said they were too busy living in the real world to deal with ... in his words ..... 'namby pamby elf and safety'.

Did I mention he is quite the Daily Mail reader as well and has quite strong views on immigration.

• and his is the generation where child abuse was most prolific because kids were not believed or listened too and had no rights.....

• He said in his days kids had respect for their elders unlike today.

• exactly.when in a care home or in a church.they had to say thank you after the adult abused them or they would have been in trouble

• Nose NowtNose Nowt ✭✭✭

Life would be so much better if we got a follow up on threads like this!

Have any of the "Is my kid the next Mo Farah" threads ever had a positive follow-up.  Would be interesting

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    I think the lack of a follow up tells you everything you need to know.
  • Nose NowtNose Nowt ✭✭✭

Just read on the Team GB thread (I think) that RIchard Nurukher (spelling!)'s daughter did a parkrun in 18.xx at 12yrs.  Not bad!

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭
    Millsy1977 wrote (see)
    I think the lack of a follow up tells you everything you need to know.

Not really. She came on here for some advice, got the advice, and said thank you. That seems perfectly satisfactory for her. The kid probably went to a parkrun and had a nice time, just like lots of kids do.

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    Fair enough, but if I had a 10 year old who did a parkrun in 20 mins I`d be right back on here to let everyone know about it.

But maybe thats just me.
  • I just hope his pushy mum doesn't get in the way of his enjoyment. 

• This 11 year cut off for Parkruns is terribly arbitrary - many 10 year olds are bigger and more mature than many 11 year olds (and vice versa).

I wish I'd had a more pushy parent for sport, martial arts or muscial instruments when younger - they encouraged me but didn't go mad when I wanted to stop.  Now I can't play the piano very well and really wish I'd kept up the athletics we did once a week in PE as my joints start to creek and I get out of breath trying for that elusive sub 20 5K.  I wish I'd listened when I wanted to quit an activity - "you may not like it now, but trust me, when you're older you'll be glad you kept at it"!

• It's good, but it depends on lots of factors.  How flat is the parkrun, how tall and well developed is the 10 year old.

My 8 year old is the shortest boy in his class at just 135cm,  School Year 4.  He runs 20:20 for a Parkrun on a fairly flat riverside out and back course in Maidstone.  I have seen 10 year olds who are 165-170cm tall.  Clearly 20:03 is not that difficult.

Sub 19 at 10 is rare and demonstrates exceptional talent.  19-20 is a good useful runner who would win a cross country race in his town and probably top 10 in the county championship.

Other than that it is difficult to compare times, courses.  Not all Parkrun courses are accurate and not all races are accurately timed.  If he is consistently running 20 and taking off 10-30 seconds every 3-6 months for the next 4 years then he is an exceptional athlete and could probably win the county level and represent England/UK at minor meets.

• Tim R2-T2Tim R2-T2 ✭✭✭
    Interesting.

20mins for 4.5k is 22mins for 5k. Pretty good that a 10year old can concentrate for that long.

I ran a 6k hill run through woods last week. Minimum age 13. There were kids running with us that no one knew.

What is the definition of 'with'. My local park run is 3laps. IF the adult and child were at opposite ends of the park they'd still be less than 600m apart. There's an awful lot of nonsense talked on forums when people don't use their heads.

I think the idea is that the parents and children must run in the same race and not just drop the kid off and go eat breakfast and read a paper in the cafe.
  • Tim.........listen to the instructions and read the website.........it is clear that they request that an adult runs with the children.not just running somewhere in the park........

no nonsense.....its very clear.whether you agree with that or not doesn't matter.that is what the organisers have requested......

would you like to be a front runner getting tripped up by a wandering youngster.......

they have a assessed the age where they believe the majority of children will be able to run safely

• Tim R2-T2Tim R2-T2 ✭✭✭
    "Accompanied"

It's a park open to the public. With dogs running off leads and other children running about.

At my last park run we had 30 BMFers running across 'the track' trying to get to their next open space.

When you run in a park run they are providing volunteers for timing and route measurement and setting out. That's all. What next? Disqualification for wearing an MP3 player?

Some people are taking park run far too seriously. That is not what it's aim is.
  • so you are saying that there is no need to stick to the rule as anyone can run in the park...but then they do not ned to take the numbers.......

if the organisers allow MP3 players so why would they be disqualified.....

parkrun is a great idea but will only work if those taking part follow the few basic rules......

like not running just 1 lap out of two and then going through the funnel to get a false time

of course those not taking part in the park run are free to do as they please..but if you are partaking then surely you are agreeing to the rules.....or otherwise just run on your own at a different time

• Tim R2-T2Tim R2-T2 ✭✭✭
    There are no rules.

There are a few requests.

It's a fun event. You can run with your pushchair, your dog, in fancy dress, whatever.

They request you don't wear MP3 players but if you must, take them out at the start and approaching the funnel.

The request doesn't even say you must run together, it says children must be accompanied by an adult. My interpretation of that is that you must not leave your child and expect the organisers to be responsible for them.

As far as I'm aware in law children are free to roam the streets just as anyone else is.

I've said on the forum before. If you want a proper 5k timed event with rules and regulations. Join a club.
  • The parkrun local to me has had a few issues with children bursting into tears and stopping along the course and the parent being too far ahead to notice, which has meant that other runners have had to take care of the child. 

You know giants, I'm not even 160cm..

MikeDuke wrote (see)

I have seen 10 year olds who are 165-170cm tall.