Scotland

Comments

• skottyskotty ✭✭✭
    Skinny Fetish Fan wrote (see)

By rights todays news should mean that Independence would not get voted for .

why?

• aaaaaaahhhhhhhhh everyone just shut up about it - every single bloody news programme every single bloody day.  No-one I know (apart from one loony kid and one academic) have any intention of voting anything other than 'not a chance are you kidding me with this shite!'  But I am terrified they will stick Braveheart on the telly the night before - followed by THatcher the movie - followed by Alex and Nicola saying Scotland, scottish 20 times.

The main argument I have heard so far (from facebook people I don't know obviously) follows the marvelous logical path  of.......

We want freedom.... because.... mmmm ... THATCHER - OKAY!

f';ing scary

• Screamapillar wrote (see)

Colin McLaughlin wrote (see)

The Scots seem pretty hopeless about arranging their independence, frankly.

When we say they won't be able to keep the pound, we get called "bullies". How absurd is that?

If they want to be independent, they should have their own independent currency. Surely that's obvious?

They haven't sorted out whether they are going to be in the EU or not after independence either.  If they don't sort that out, Scots won't know if they will have any right to be in the rest of the EU or not after independence.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ 

If  they join the EU, and particularly the Eurozone, then the independence they voted for will immediately be lost. Very much looking forward to seeing the Troika descend upon Edinburgh and creaming off the top of people's bank accounts as in Cyprus. If they renege on their share of UK debt and consequently struggle to borrow from the market this is a distinct possibility.

• NessieNessie ✭✭✭

I watched Alex Salmond on Newsnight last night (the Scottish version) - his explanation of the currency issue was that although Osbourne was saying that Scotland couldn't be part of Sterling, it was still expected to meet its share of the debt, so none of the assets would transfer, but all of the liabilities would.  His call of "bullying" seemed a bit less silly.

But as Gymfreak says, despite polls, most of the people I know are planning to vote no.

I agree with SFF that the disruption that would follow if there was a separate currency should/would be a frightening prospect, but actually what tempted me for a while to consider voting for independence was Slimy Dave's love in last week.  "We want you, we need you, we love you - don't go".  *Boke*

• Did he really say "we love you"? Yuk!  imageimage

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Im totally confused by the whole independence debate now?

Surely if Scotland want to be independent one of the key things they would want is control over their own economy, yet if they keep Sterling they wont be getting that.  Neither will they be free themselves from being dictated to by UK parliament.

This is nothing more than an ego trip for Salmond.  How many years have the SNP been banging on about independence and this is the best they can do! 

Scottish people have the right to be independent if they want (and vote yes), but they need to understand exactly what they’ll be giving up.   That said its interesting to note that there are nearly as many Scots not entitled to vote as have been given the option, though if youre a foreign student you get a say.  The whole thing is bizarre and dangerous.

I hope they don’t vote yes but like a lot of others in the UK if they go, they should go completely, no sterling, no nothing, you’re on your own.

• skottyskotty ✭✭✭

Scotland as a newly independent country would have to apply to join the EU if it wishes to join, and any other existing member countries  - including the rest of the UK - are fully entitled to block Scotland from joining the EU if we want to.

it is being debated but the argument is that Scotland will be simply readmitted as an existing member of the EU.

Unless and until the newly independent Scotland is accepted as an EU country (if at all), Scottish nationals won't have any right to live or work elsewhere in the EU. They will be non-EU citizens, and can be forced to go home into their newly independent homeland should EU countries wish to expel them. Nor will they be able to trek across the border into other EU countries (e.g. England) in order to seek work as of right, and take our jobs, as they do now.

take our jobs. LOL!

They will be able to do whatever they like as they can keep a British passport if they want, opt for a Scottish one or have both. In the case of not being EU members I would imagine most will be pragmatic and opt to retain a British passport.

• skottyskotty ✭✭✭

Bouncing Barlist wrote (see)

Surely if Scotland want to be independent one of the key things they would want is control over their own economy, yet if they keep Sterling they wont be getting that.  Neither will they be free themselves from being dictated to by UK parliament.

yeah, you're right. better go with the Euro. image

• skottyskotty ✭✭✭

Assumptions, assumptions.

Nothing's been agreed on anything.

The status of a British passport in the hands of a Scot after independence isn't clear. They won't be British any more.

"The Scottish government intends to bring in a separate Scottish passport under independence, but says Scots would be free either to retain their British passport, or hold both.

Current UK Border Agency policy states that British subjects can keep their British passport, as long as the country in which they want to hold another passport (which in this case would be an independent Scotland) allows dual nationality."

• NessieNessie ✭✭✭

They won't be British any more.

Really?  I thought the independence proposed was from the United Kingdom.  Isn't Britain/Great Britain something else (i.e. the island).

(Genuine question - I'm really not clear on that one, and have never had to be)

• According to Wiki, Great Britain geographically is Scotland England and Wales as a land mass. Politically the same area is called "The Kingdom of Great Britain."

I suppose if Scotland became independent it might become "The Kingdom of England and Wales"

I'm not sure what the position is with Scotland regarding the monarchy. Would it still be a kingdom under Her Maj or a republic under the Commonwealth?

• skottyskotty ✭✭✭
    Screamapillar wrote (see)

According to Wiki, Great Britain geographically is Scotland England and Wales as a land mass. Politically the same area is called "The Kingdom of Great Britain."

Kingdom of Great Britain wiki:

This article is about the historical state (1707–1800)

• skottyskotty ✭✭✭

The United Kingdom

• Think of all of the paperwork ! NOOOOOOOOOO !!

You'll be doubling the admin - setting up duplicate systems and services all over the show.

Frankly I don't think important stuff like this should be left to the public - they can't be trusted. Look at the viewing figures for Splash! and IACGMOOH. We're idiots.

I'd let someone smart like Steven Fry, or Dara O Briiaiiaiaaaan or Toksvig sort it out.
  • So that, presumably, would have to become The United Kingdom of England, Wales and Northern Ireland?

• skottyskotty ✭✭✭

which presumably means scotland is still a part of Great Britain.

• Yes because there's no geographical separation - unless Alex has got some major engineering project in hand to float Scotland off into the North Sea image

Could Scotland be known as an "independency" is that a proper political term?

• Look don't give him the idea - he might just bloody try it

• NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    cougie wrote (see)
    Think of all of the paperwork ! NOOOOOOOOOO !!

You'll be doubling the admin - setting up duplicate systems and services all over the show.

Frankly I don't think important stuff like this should be left to the public - they can't be trusted. Look at the viewing figures for Splash! and IACGMOOH. We're idiots.

I'd let someone smart like Steven Fry, or Dara O Briiaiiaiaaaan or Toksvig sort it out.

We've got a fair amount of that at the moment with devolution, but it'd be a complete nightmare. 

• cougie wrote (see)

An Englishman, an Irishman and a half Dane - I can't see Al going for that one image

• Who is this "you" you speak of?

I think the only person who has posted on the thread in favour is Nick - who's English and might even be fibbing.

• NessieNessie ✭✭✭

I made no comment about whether I wanted or expected still to be British - I asked what the splitting of the union, if it happened, would mean in terminology.  East Germany and West Germany were independent of one another, but were all still "Germany" (sort of).  Great Britain, as I understand it, is the island.  If Wales and Ireland voted for independence too, would England be Britain, would Britain no longer exist, or would "Britain" be something akin to "Netherlands".

It's all semantics, I think..............

What I would like Scottish independence to mean, if you want it, is that you all get north of the border and be independent on your own in solitary confinement and get out of the sight of the rest of us, because we're actually rather tired of you. If you want a divorce then divorce and disappear please. Anyone Scottish can be deported to your new homeland.

If I thought for one second that all non-Scottish British people thought like that, I'd be first at Hadrian's wall with a pile of bricks and some cement.  But fortunately, I think most are actually rather nice people, as are Scots, and I am quite happy to be British/UK along with them.