Saturday 30th November 2013

..cause we'll be found out somehow.

Morning all.  Surprised but happy to start the thread today.

Heading for a parkrun today, looking forward to it.

Any other racing going on? 50K or otherwise!! image

Comments

• Morning donaldo - thanks for the thread start, I was trying to think of lyrics. Hope you have a good one at parkrun.

Go Els and OH!

Glad the dentist was ok Blisters - you're well ahead on the xmas prep, enjoy the weekend away.

What:               some time on the bike
    Why:                need some bike time
    Last hard:        13/20
    Last rest:          27/11

Lyrics - no.

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • good luck park and ultra runners!!
  • Good wee run this morning.  All on trails and pretty hilly, I was pleased with 19:15.  I'm going to call this a pb as it's my best time for a parkrun.  My middle mile was 5:57 and I haven't done a mile in a race that fast for about 10 years, so that was a bit of a milestone(!) image

• RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

All the best OH

Thanks for the cheering Dustin, much appreciated at the XC - XC Hants XC lge today, after my fall on Weds, was not going to push it so wanted to try for sub 7's all the way round...

So managed that with the splits looking like this - 6:47, 6:51, 6:44, 6:56, 6:40, 6:48, 0:42 for 6.12 miles and 171st place....

Did a very easy 27 min park run with Mrs RFJ this morning as well, 10m for the day

Take care

• Evening

Yesterdays lyrics were 'Smooth Operator' by Sade.

Terrible events last night with the helicopter crashing into the pub in Glasgow City centre.

• donaldo: good run by yourself today.

I'd about 5 hours of Christmas shopping...

• Evening!

Well run Don! (And RFJ as usual!). Wonder if OH had a good day!

Race report(s):
    Arrived at Hyde Park in plenty of time for the LFoM 5K yesterday: if I said that there were waves on the Serpentine it would be an exaggeration. Just! Reasonable warm-up and was feeling reasonable, if a little cold. Unfortunately the race was not on the traditional course, but the alternative course which I find tougher.

So I donned the Alehouse vest, as per pic, pinned on the number 27 and away we went. First k is largely uphill, plus congested, and within half a k i was sure I had gone off too fast: just told myself to try to maintain the pace for as long as possible. 4:29, which is quicker than anything seen in training for a couple of years. Then I seemed to be able to maintain the momentum, going through 2k, which was downhill, in 4:12, and then a section that had a bit of a drag in it as we started the second lap: 4:17 recorded.

I had noticed a guy from a northern club say that he would be looking for mid 22s for the 5k, and I had tracked him fairly well, in fact going slightly ahead of him at times. Just as we set off onto the next downhill I was cut up by another runner on a corner: I immediately lost contact with the runner I had had an eye on and started to struggle a bit. 4:27 for a downhill k. So, one k to go, which is normally quite a strong point, but couldn't lift the game, particularly as I took a particular dislike to an incline. Anyway, 4:26 for the last k, and 21:51 overall. Delighted! The A target had been 22:30, the B sub 23 and the C 23:20. Good progress since my last two 5ks which were both 23:40.

A few points: arms never got warm! Progressive consistent consistency is paying off! And I didn't throw the kitchen sink at it, which I know I could have done in the last 600 or so: that can wait for a more important day. Usually I can't walk, never mind, run, after a race, but did another lap as a warm down. And the legs weren't too battered this morning...

"Race" two: I don't have one for months then like buses, two come along at once! ot really a race, but pacing L62 coachee around a parkrun in 24:18 and a 80% WAVA. Far faster than I train at, so it was a decent session for me, after. And she can go far quicker if she would actually do all the running I set her, and if it wasn't so bitterly cold and windy: she ran  in tracksters and two long sleeved tops...and I wore more!

Lyrics: no

And Birks: last night in Glasgow puts all the above into perspective.

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Well done OH!image

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • weather calm and dry. Finished in about 7h. I was paced in by the sweeper, but was still well over an hour faster than Dirty 30, so well pleased. oh and they discounted the rivers - there were at least 4 significant rivers to wade! more later ...
  • Great to hear how it's all coming together Alehouse.

A tragic loss of life birks.

Glad to hear you made it round safely OH.

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • Well done rfj and oh. 

Alehouse, particularly enjoyed your report, bloody great, well done that man image

• birks - awful news - it was on our news here too.

OH - 7hrs - recover well!

rfj - you make it all seem so easy.

Alehouse - you are amazing! Great run, followed by another one - giving someone else a helping hand!

What: half an hour.

Why: 10,000m on the track on Sunday.

Not sure why - guess I must be crazy!