Earning a medal for a race I did not run

13»

Comments

• Mr I, my Saturday XC run mentioned above is done in Pirbright - Bisley Woods next to the Army shooting range. I reckon you have an even chance of a loose bullet winging its way past you, probably more if you wear some running tights.

• Thanks Annajo and Do 262, first time doing a marathon-distance run outside of a race which was a very odd experience and have to admit that for ultra training next year I think i will stick to organised marathons as the long-distance training runs - for company and motivation!  Although that medal will never truly be mine, it is a lovely reminder of a historic race been and gone and the challenge of the solo marathon.  It is strange to think that the marathon in the 80’s was a big thing and very few people could complete one (explains the low numbers perhaps), as opposed to nowadays they are quite common.  Aren’t all finisher’s medals simply a nice memento and nod to the achievement of the runner?  People do all sorts of things in memory and as a celebration of local history so I believe that combining running with paying homage to this marathon is a great idea.  I have heard of people running marathons then passing the medals on to their grown-up children once they have also completed the distance, or even running a race after inheriting a medal from a relative who has since passed away.

Anything to get people out running and training is all good i think.  Same reason I like the idea of parkrun freedom and online/virtual races. It makes a run far more meaningful and gives a much better sense of achievement when finishing.  ;O)  For those who do not believe so, let us agree to disagree image

• Thanks for following up Aizxana this has been interesting. I do feel a little cheated that if I read between the lines that you did a 26.2 based around the parkrun birthday instead of focussing on the original marathon route itself but that is just being picky. Either way it was something different so well done. 

• The real Mr I wrote (see)

I bought a Purple heart ....... anyone know where I could get shot at as I'll need a flesh wound?

Try running around Bristol dressed as a badger.

• Aizxana wrote (see)

It is strange to think that the marathon in the 80’s was a big thing and very few people could complete one (explains the low numbers perhaps), as opposed to nowadays they are quite common. 

Probably lots of people could complete one, it just wasn't as fashionable to do one back then as a (for want of a better term) fun runner.  Running was something you either took very seriously with a running club, or not at all.  The big city marathons (such as London) were starting to change that though.