The 2014 Ironman Training thread

Comments

• Cheers for all the advice OC I will probably give spin a miss then on that advice, can't say I was particularly drawn to it anyway. 

As for HR zones I will certainly look at the website with the tests. Just ran for an hour keeping HR between 145-155, thinking that was Z2. I don't know if I could go much slower to drag that any lower.  

• 4 hours out riding reasonably fast on Surly Bugger things were going great until the last hour on a monster hill out of the saddle and the circ clip on my pedal failed pedal comes off the spindle and i hit the cross bar cue an hours worth of gingerly riding up hills on the saddle trying to keep the pedal on  .

I am now walking like John Wayne but speaking like Joe Pasqualeimage

a

• No change there then Max   image

Bloody Crank Bros pedals thats the second lot to bust on me,  i brought a couple of pairs in a sale switching back to good old bombproof Shimano SPDsimage

• Thanks mouse and others for the advice. Yes I am defo only working in z1 &z2. Think I found the first week hard as doing a workout every day except Monday found that hard I am sure it will be better this week will let you know. Looking forward to Monday rest.
  • MandMsMandMs ✭✭✭

had a swim video sessions few weeks back and have been practising technique three times a week to try and look less like  Drowning.  Turbo session in morning before work.

• Had a reasonably good ride yesterday for the most part, a couple of hours out on my winter hack covering about 37 miles or so.

However, the last 3 or 4 miles were pretty awful.  I've now been 'paleo/low carb' for a week, and it really caught up with me towards the end yesterday.

I never normally take any food or gels with me if I'm out for 2 hours or less, and I don't generally feel that I need it.  Yesterday though, I felt so bombed out after an hour and a half, and I was glad to get home when I did to get some food down me.

I was expecting to feel this way I guess, but just hope that my body starts 'adapting' sooner rather than later.

Rest day today, so the most energetic I'll get is walking down to church to watch my daughter sing in her Brownies carol service.

Day off work tomorrow though, so hoping for good weather as I'm planning to get out on the bike again.

• Hi Pudge - I have been Paleo for around 4 months now and it does get better honest.image

Although funny enough I did 38 miles yesterday and there was no ill effects, but I do take a banana on a ride with me and have it half way through just in case - also if I am going on a ride then I will eat a good meal before I go so that I have some energy in the bank, yesterday was an omelette with spinach and tomatoes, the time before was salmon with stir fried veg (I know its in the morning, but every little helps).   Also as my security I will take some clif bars with me, but I haven't had to use them yet!  Good luck - it should get better over the next couple of weeks and you will feel you will have more energy.

• timebikes - sorry, I'm still fretting on your behalf about being knackered after just 4 days worth of base training on the Fink plan.  That's really rather worrying.  You said earlier that you'd done 67 weeks base training since entering the race, spread over how many weeks?  What's your history?  Have you done any long stuff before?  I'm wondering if you've got a cold coming or something.

*tries not to put on Mum hat*

• Hi Mouse

Its 67 Hrs i have done before starting the plan, spread over 10 weeks approx,My history is couple of yaers of Tri, Before that mainly cycling sportives, But been injured for last 2 years on and off, And lastly i have come out with a stinking Cold last week which has now cleared i got a good session in Sat and Sunday and feel great today..Think it was pressure of starting a program and doing a session every day and the cold that made me feel so bad... Thanks for the concern will keep you posted!

• Right, now I'm getting somewhere....

6 or 7 hours a week is probably more than the very first week of Fink, so it shouldn't have come as a shock to you but in your post above, there's the big reveal for me.  Don't train with a cold!!!!!! You big nelly.  Rest! I don't care what week it is.  You're more likely to do yourself harm than good if you feel poopy and trying to train on top of it. 

Seriously, ultimately you know your body better than I do and I'm sat on a computer out in the ether so what do I know about how ill you are... but just listen to the messages your body is telling you.  Week 1 of Fink should not have been tough.  It's about establishing routine at that stage.  If you have a cold and you're finding it very hard, it probably is too much, you should probably be resting. 

Fink is a long plan at 30 weeks, many plans are only 20 weeks.  Don't be afraid to rest if you are ill.  Resting is what most athletes find the toughest to do.

• 1.25km swim this morning and in the gym tonight for spin and boxfit (boxfit will come in handy for the xmas shopping trips). Swim and an hour long easy run tomorrow.

I'm following the Tim Ferris (4 hour body) diet as it's always worked for me and the weight just falls off plus looking forward to the treat day keeps you going...yummo!

• Yeah you big nelly   image

• The only problem with that is my body is always telling me it needs bacon sarnis and lots of beer...did I say problem?!

• Ahh now you see when we say listen to your body you clearly need to ascertain if it is lying or not  image

• Thanks Mouse, Sorry i will rest next time im feeling unwell i promise... As its my 1st IM i am bit nervous and want to train as much as i can, But i do understand its quality over Quantity will defo listen to my body in future!  thanks again for the advice.

• M...eldy wrote (see)

Ahh now you see when we say listen to your body you clearly need to ascertain if it is lying or not  image

Do Garmin or Polar do a watch with a lie detector on?

• I don't think so Mr Bear but I think Marks and Spencer, Levis etc have just such a device on their trousers.  Called a 'waistband'.  If the button doesn't meet the buttonhole, your body may have been telling fibs....

Timebikes - the biggest problem with first time IM athletes is that they train too much and/or too hard. 

• Good point well made M..o.use, but I'll give M & S a miss, except maybe for food and underwear but that's just common sense. image

• Hi Guys and Girls

Just wanted to say hello as a newbie to Tri.  I have no running/cycling back ground but have decided to enter Wales IM.

Please be patient with me if i'm asking the dumbest questions or saying the stupidest things.

Keep low, move fast!

• Plazie ... whatever the question, you wont be the first or the last to ask it   

Welcome aboard  image

• Does shaving your legs make you go faster on the bike or just make you look faster? Or a fetish?
  • maybe if you shaved go faster stripes on them. image

• According to Boardman a go faster stripe right down the middle is the way to go

• Hi Plazie,

Welcome   glad to hear you doing IM wales i only live 30mins from Tenby, I will be there cheering you on!  Good  Luck.

• AvalafAvalaf ✭✭✭

In desperate need of some motivation, no training last week and not a lot likley this week.  Will start next week.