Options

The 2014 Ironman Training thread

Comments

• Options
    Avalaf wrote (see)

In desperate need of some motivation, no training last week and not a lot likley this week.  Will start next week.

Have you booked any races for next year yet? ...Nothing like good old fashioned fear to keep you training.

• Options
    Plaziescouse wrote (see)

Hi Guys and Girls

Just wanted to say hello as a newbie to Tri.  I have no running/cycling back ground but have decided to enter Wales IM.

Please be patient with me if i'm asking the dumbest questions or saying the stupidest things.

Keep low, move fast!

Dude trust me you won't be asking the dumbest questions or saying the stupidest stuff. Will be obveious once you've met some of us why. Welcome. image

• Options
    Bumble bee wrote (see)

Hi Pudge - I have been Paleo for around 4 months now and it does get better honest.image

Although funny enough I did 38 miles yesterday and there was no ill effects, but I do take a banana on a ride with me and have it half way through just in case - also if I am going on a ride then I will eat a good meal before I go so that I have some energy in the bank, yesterday was an omelette with spinach and tomatoes, the time before was salmon with stir fried veg (I know its in the morning, but every little helps).   Also as my security I will take some clif bars with me, but I haven't had to use them yet!  Good luck - it should get better over the next couple of weeks and you will feel you will have more energy.

Thanks BB. I've been out this morning, similar route and distance, and felt like I was about to end up running on empty again, only this time halfway through my ride (I.e. much sooner than last time).  I had a couple of gels with me as an emergency but held off using them, and actually the 'drained' feeling passed after 10 minutes or so.

What I have found, and tell me if this sounds familiar, is that my heart rate has been going at about 10-15bpm quicker than normal the last couple of times I've been out. What I mean by that is that when I'm cycling at, say, 20mph on the flat, my heart rate would generally be 135-140, but recently it's been up near 150.  I don't feel like I'm working any harder or anything, so I'm wondering if it's part of the process of adaption. Or, more likely, I am just overthinking things.

Anyway, around two and a half hours in the bag for today, and might even manage a short run tonight too, while my kids are at their school disco. image

• Options

To be honest Pudge, not sure about HR when I first started it I was fairly unfit and getting back into it so my HR would have been higher at that stage and I took it that I was just really unfit! image  But I know a few people over the last few weeks that have started it and were very fit and the second week they were very lacklustre and really weak, but now they have loads of energy.  I think its just your body reacting to eating really clean.

Hope it gets better soon, but I have to say I have found it easy to stick to, and don't really suffer on 2.5/3 hr rides, I seem to have a second wind.

Keep up the good work I am sure it will get better! image

• Options

Have you every had a pair of shoes that make you smile image

http://swimsweatandgears.com/2013/12/10/have-you-ever-had-a-pair-of-running-shoes-that-made-you-smile/

i did did and had to retire them today image

Been replaced with a boring black pair but I'm sure they will do the job just as well.

• Options

Been getting it done but no pool this week yet gonna rectify that tonightimage

• Options

I have a nice new shiney Garmin Forerunner 10 to motivate me running , i am not much of a gadget man binned the HRM years ago but this could be funimage

• Options

I love the gadgets, especially my Poolmate.

• Options

After reading Finks training plans I am considering attempting the competitive schedule. Not at all that I class myself as a front of the packer, but that I feel I have the current fitness, commitment and time to cover the necessary training.

Am I mad to attempt this for my first IM? Or do you think I should reign myself in and start with something slightly easier?

I really just want to give myself the confidence on the start line that I have done all I could and prepared to my best.

Any advice greatfully received.

• Options

Well thats the cottage booked for Wales 2014, what am i thinking? HAVE I BIT OFF MORE THAN I CHEW? who knows but its done now. Anyone else feel like this?

• Options

Exactly trotter, my general feeling is massive excitement at what is to come. But every now and then I think what the feck am I doing.

Can't seem to think of anything else 24/7.

• Options

Esio if thats what you think you are capable of go for it for my first i quickly swopped to the intermeddiate when i realised my endurance base was greater than needed for get  uou round BUT at the end of the day your first IM is all about getting to the start line fit and healthy and then getting across that finish line

• Options

Trotter/EsIo thats how it should feel first time image Be prepared to put life on hold and bore your loved ones shitless for 6 monthsimage

Crack the first one then let the obsession overwhelm you resistance is futileimage

• Options

Afternoon all.  Just caught up on the thread to see how things are going. 

Also, it has helped to rein me in.....I was swithering about whether I should just sign-up for IM Western Oz next year, which was in the plan I made a few months ago. 

At the same time though, I also promised myself I wouldn't attempt IM again until I was much slimmer and much fitter.  As much as i'm making progress, i'm nowhere near my goals, so after taking stock of my goals, and after reading this, what with the thought of all the training that would be required next year, has knocked some sense into me, hahaha.  I'll stick with the planned half IM and worry about IM for another year.  Phewimage  I'll continue to follow the thread to confirm i've made the right decision!!!

Good luck with the training everyone image

• Options

keep up the consistency Leeimage

• Options

trotter and esio - I'm in the same boat. Esio your comment on 24-7 rings very true! image I'm just trying to soak in as much information as I can and enjoy the first year as much as possible. The things I find daunting are the amount of information there is with regards to training - what type of sessions I need to do, how many, how long, how intense etc - and the fact I know zip all when it comes to things like bikes, plenty of time to sort that though.

• Options

Yeh i agree its all i think about at the min, and yes my partner is bored already but she is backing me all the way. I have managed only 60 mile on the bike up to now, can i  double it by then? any comments would be helpfull. i have got a few people saying i cannot do it but i am confident i can

• Options

This is training related but to do with nutrition...When did they start making banana Malt loaf and why didn't somebody tell me? (nom nom nom)

• Options

trotter - if you're doing 60 now you'll be fine, when is your IM? People go from very little to IM within a year, 60 miles is nothing to worry about.

Hofmeister - it's absolutely incredible, so much so that I have to restrict myself from eating it all within a day of buying it

• Options

trotter 2 - 60m at this stage is bloody good and a hell of a base to start from and don't listen to any negativity, it's infectious so stay clear.

What you should be asking is how do I get enough banana malt loaf strapped to the bike to keep me going...I may have to attach a panniers or small trailer and I'm only doing a half IM this year. image

• Options

Now that's an idea!.... banana malt loaf on the bike.... mmmmmhhhhh.

So, still completely on plan with Fink.... one question though.... is everyone else starting to up the training volumes constantly hungry?

Today, I had a bacon butty from the staff canteen( after porridge before leaving for work)... I then had a 3 course christmas lunch... only I'd forgotten it was Christmas lunch day, and still took a packed lunch....  which of course I still ate.. and have just got home and eaten a huge plate of spaghetti and meatballs.... and in 3 hours, i'll be hungry again.... sod the money for bike gear, running shoes etc...its going to be the extra grub that costs!!!!

lets be honest.... its all prep for an Ironman on my 100th birthday
  • Options

Bear you can fit a few on the mni malt loafs in a bento box and still have room for 10 fags and a lighter.

Lee which half you doing again next year chuck?

• Options
    AvalafAvalaf ✭✭✭
    Hofmeister Bear wrote (see)
    Avalaf wrote (see)

In desperate need of some motivation, no training last week and not a lot likley this week.  Will start next week.

Have you booked any races for next year yet? ...Nothing like good old fashioned fear to keep you training.

Have signed up to Bala and IM Nice.  If I hadn't read that dastardly Fink book I wouldn't even be thinking about starting my training before new year.  New plan, 27 weeks, 6 4 week periods, followed by 3 week taper sounds good to meimage

• Options

Nice effort MC !!

Sounds like a plan Avalaf ... I tend to read the plans and go and have a nice little lie down

• Options
    AvalafAvalaf ✭✭✭

I tend to write my plans, then go have a lie down, wait a week and rewrite themimage

• Options
    AvalafAvalaf ✭✭✭

I'm in MK once a week now, I really should drag Barlos and others around out for a drinky.

• Options

I am there at this very minute ...  MK that is, not with Barlos  image

• Options

anyone else diarise their training schedule on their phones and PC's, set to remind so it nags you into doing it, or maybe create a huge fridge magnet of it? 

• Options
    Plan is in a ring binder with each week on an A4 sheet inside a plastic wallet. Colour coded for each sport. Phone is a bit advanced!
  • Options
    AvalafAvalaf ✭✭✭
    M...eldy wrote (see)

I am there at this very minute ...  MK that is, not with Barlos  image

Me too, also NOT with Barlosimage