The 2014 Ironman Training thread

Comments

• I write my weekly schedule on a post-it not and stick it to the front of the fridge.

although this week I didn't write oneimage

But so far its been

Mon. .. 1.20 hr on bike

Tues     1 hr run

wed   1 Hr turbo (sufferfest) then  25min on dreadmill

Swim in the morning and maybe another session on the turbo

• GraemeK wrote (see)
    Plan is in a ring binder with each week on an A4 sheet inside a plastic wallet. Colour coded for each sport. Phone is a bit advanced!

colour coding, nice touch! I'm liking your work image

• Hofmeister Bear wrote (see)
    GraemeK wrote (see)
    Plan is in a ring binder with each week on an A4 sheet inside a plastic wallet. Colour coded for each sport. Phone is a bit advanced!

colour coding, nice touch! I'm liking your work image

Although the problem is that most pirates are only allowed to use crayons...... 

lets be honest.... its all prep for an Ironman on my 100th birthday
  • Avalaf I shall wave out  the window image

• AvalafAvalaf ✭✭✭

Will I see you from Kents hill?

• No .... but you might hear me    image

• Esio

It might depend on your background. 

If you are a fish/swimmer then do the competitive swim.  Otherwise thw beginner program may be more than enough.  I found swimming an hour really tiring at first and the fink swims start at 2k++

Start at 2-3 30 min swims and build one of them to an hour.  Then feel free to inc another

Feel free to do the competetive bike program.  Its tje safest place to add volume of rraining.  Just dont get divorced.  Also remember thers 28 weeks to go and you want to be puring 10 weeks out not bored/burnt out.

Running.  Depends on your background.  If you are a novice runner go easy.  If you are an ex marathoner then inc the volume a bit so maybe the competeive may be ok.  

If you have the tike / enthusism then building the volume up to some big weeks may be ok.  However watch the intensity as you do it...(fink does a fair bit of z3,4stuff). hard intervals plus big volume is tough amd you should take your time to get there.

• Week 2 is a disaster.  Got a mare of a cold so rhe entire week is a write off.

However does mean i am resting the knee which is probably a good thing.  Anyone have a spare as i am fed up with this one

Shuffle b the missus is training more than i am -but i think ive infected her so her weekweek is also blown out the water image

• This forum on an android phone is a disaster

Esio - to put it into perspective i did regular 15 hour weeks for my first IM with bigger weeks towards the end.

However i had been running for about 3-4years, swimmimg badly for 1-2but biking for 15 years..... i was reasonably fit so coped with the volume ok.  I struggled in the last 10 weeks as i started buolding fromn november .  Its a long time until the end of june so build into it

• Swimming for me last night. Rubbish. 

Hadn't been in a couple of months, and it really showed.  I couldn't relax my breAthing so everything was very laboured.  In the end, I managed a warm up followed by 10 x 100m splits.

Disappointed with myself for being lax with it recently, but if has shocked me into making sure that I don't neglect the swimming in future.

On the plus side, tonight is my run night, so back to something I know I can do. 

Magna - that's some impressive nutrition training you're putting in!

• Avalaf/Meldy, unfortunately im not often in MK during the week as working away im afraid, sods law innit image

OC - I thought you were always purring?

• Just want to say hello. Going to hopefully get the Paris marathon under my belt this April and then aim for IM 2015. Hopefully on a slightly flatter course than IM70.3UK, I was expecting it to be hilly but not as hilly as it was! Bike course was tough, tough, tough.

• Cake wrote (see)

Bear you can fit a few on the mni malt loafs in a bento box and still have room for 10 fags and a lighter.

Lee which half you doing again next year chuck?

I'm doing The Vit image  Are you doing it?

Welcome James!  You'll get some good tips from this lot, so stick around image

• Boot camp yesterday morning and spin last night but slept in for my morning swim this morning...bugger!

Hi James - Bonne Chance with the Paris marathon.

• I've pretty much followed OC's advice on the swimming...

"Start at 2-3 30 min swims and build one of them to an hour.  Then feel free to inc another"

I am following Fink, and am now comfortably up to 2 x 1hrs a week, but haven't yet got close to completing one of his sessions, and instead cut them short at an hour, rather than carrying on and making it a 90 min session.

I am however finding that I am slowly getting more of his sessions done, and feeling slightly less knackered at the end. I'm also finding that some really light gym work on shoulders, arms, chest and back is helping with my pace...

But, its fair to say that my swimming, in terms of pace, power and technique, is at the less attractive end of the scale! image

lets be honest.... its all prep for an Ironman on my 100th birthday
  • Thanks for the welcome guys. Will be popping in and out looking for those gems of wisdom to store for 2015. Might have to keep this from Mrs C, not sure she would be impressed with the training regime!image

• Magna Carter wrote (see)

But, its fair to say that my swimming, in terms of pace, power and technique, is at the less attractive end of the scale! image

I've been compared in the water to an octopus receiving an electric shock, but 6-8 months ago it was a brick in water so that's progress

• The life guards now know that I'm not drowning, I'm in fact swimming..... well I think they assume

• At least you don't need armbands. I used to love wearing armbands in the pool... in the street, down the pub...

• GraemeK wrote (see)

I've been compared in the water to an octopus receiving an electric shock, but 6-8 months ago it was a brick in water so that's progress

HAHAHAHA, that is a brilliant visual!!! image

• OC thanks again for all the detailed advice.

My background is all running based having done marathons and a couple of ultras in the past few years. From this I hope to have a relatively good endurance base.

Swimming I basically started from scratch 6 weeks ago not being able to crawl with my head in, now after a couple of lessons its improving but still a long way to go. I am just managing to do 100m before I have to grab a 30 sec breather, I find the snatched breathing so alien its like running whilst breathing through a hosepipe. I do manage to keep this up for an hour though 2-3 times a week.

Heres hoping it will improve with practice.

As for biking, it has always been a social thing for me not at all quick but going out with mates on a saturday morning. Have done 1 century last summer which I enjoyed but like I said very sedate pace.

Anyway after your advice I am thinking intermediate schedule with a little more cycling thrown in. The finite plan doesn't start until mid Feb as I am doing Wales so plenty of time to tinker and decide, cheers again.

• Getting the weekend training in early with a 45 min run tonight followed by early morning swim and 3 hour ride tomorrow.

The rest of the weekend sure to be a right off as xmas party season kicks off fri and sat nights out.

Ouch!!!

• Esio

i got some good advice if your face is in water you should be breathing out a lot of people (me) subconsciously hold their breath then rush the exhale before trying to cram in more air, i didnt even realise i was doing this until i had a lesson now as soon as i turn my head back into the water i start a smooth steady exhale and suddenly everything became s lot smoother and less puff/panty

• Cheers Ridgeback I'll concentrate on this tomorrow

• One other thing Esio - take as long as you need to breathe, there's no need to snatch a breath in training, slow the recovery phase of your stroke as you take your breath.

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • Easy paced 10 miles tonight. Felt pretty bollocksed throughout most of the run, and putting this down to the fact that I'm still fat adapting, as only a week and a bit into cutting out carbs and it is really beginning to tell.

At least I could breathe though, which is an improvement on last night's swimming.

• and just to add to what the others have said, dont take a huuuge amount of breath, take a nice gentle breath, move your arms once or twice whilst gently exhaling (I prefer to 'whistle') and then turn your head for a breath.  If you think that you are snatching a breath then it is likely that is what you will do.  Unless you are doing some sprint sessions then it should all be a nice and calm pace.  You are just moving across the water not going for a depth plunge record   image

• No training this morning got up and feel like crap so rest day for me 

Xmas office p!ss up tonight so that should sort me outimage

• Done 2 pool sessions already this week was actually enjoying them nothing structured yet just concentrating on getting my stroke (if you can call it that) dialed back in