Options

Sub5 - Gareth Edmondson - Vote For Me - ASICS262

Hello,

My name is Gareth Edmondson and I’ve been chosen as a Sub5 finalist for the ASICS 26.2 Runners World Paris Marathon Challenge. There are 4 of us in this category so I’d like to wish every one of us the very best of luck.

You can vote for me here: http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/target262/sub-500-finalists.aspx

My story is a simple one and maybe one that others can relate to. I started running in October 2011 after visiting Marks and Spencer for some work clothes. I was a 36” waist in jeans but needed 38” waist in smart trousers. Never having worried about my weight before I suddenly realised that with a 1 year old son I needed to be fitter and healthier if I was to run around after him. I walked out of Marks and Spencer and vowed to start running. That evening I went out and struggled to run half a mile. 

I’d read that people give up in the first two weeks and vowed never to do that. I haven’t and am proud of my achievements so far. I decided to log everything using an app on my phone and started blogging sporadically at http://www.indigo-cube.co.uk - I try and keep the blog updated.

I run for enjoyment. I strongly believe that every mile is a mile - be it super fast or super slow - it’s a mile. It’s fitness.

Since starting running I’ve lost two stone in weight and am currently 13stone 2. All down to the running and a better diet.

During the day I am a teacher. In fact I head of an ICT/Computer Science department at a comprehensive school in Swansea. I have told the pupils about this competition and I hope that some see this as an inspiration and take up running. I run during my lunch times and can usually fit in a 5/6k with time for a shower.

I’d love to go further in this competition. If you guys vote for me then it would be appreciated. I know there are others who will be competing for your votes so I’m sure you will all make the right decision.

I can be reached on Twitter: @welshgje or on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/gareth.edmondson.73

Thank you. Any questions - please do ask away.

Gareth

Comments

• Options

too much info in one post...we  are lazy and will just not bother reading if its too difficult.....keep it simple.........

what kind of poster will you be and what  would you bring personally if you had your own thread

• Options

I’m sure you will all make the right decision.

Already made mine.

• Options

Shwmae Seren,

Ahhh I can cut it down if you think I should. DOn't be lazy - it's a good story and not too difficult.

Poster - dedicated. Once I get my mind one something I follow it through. I use several forums and live on my computer (due to my job) - so always have it open. You won't have to wait long for a reply.

Personally - Again, dedication.

Thanks for the pointers.

• Options

just experience.....if its more than a couple of paragraphs people just scroll down.......on this kind of medium people do not like reading essays.image

one plus point is that you have responded quickly image

• Options

Hiya Seren Nos - Now with that name, I'm interested in where you are based.

Gareth

• Options

south wales valleys image

• Options

Ahh that doesn't give much away. I could say that as well. I'm in Brynaman. Lovely area. Welsh speaker?

• Options

doesnt it mean night star, or something?

• Options

@MaxsMum - Yes Seren = Star / Nos = Night.

@Flob - Okay. Thanks for that. Wow - what did I say? 

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=pfft

• Options

Morning all,

Feeling great today - still cannot believe I am a Finalist for the Sub 5 group. It's such a weird feeling. I mean - a local marathon would be cool but to get the chance of running the my first marathon in Paris is just amazing.

Thank you to anyone on here that has voted for me. I promise that if you get through you will be rewarded with a good run.

Gareth

• Options

Since I started running I've always used Runkeeper to track where I've been and what I've done - along with the blog it has kept a useful diary for when I feel down or have lost my mojo.

Anyway I thought I'd fire up the ASICS App today and create a plan. Based on my times so far this is what it came up with: 

"Our prediction is based on your profile as a 38 year old male who can run a Half Marathon in 21:14:42." - the App has me at 4:45:59 - 4 runs a week at an Average pace

I'd take that for now.

Gareth 

• Options

Well done Gareth, you're winning so far Damn You! image

• Options

Just voted for you when I started my app said about the same time but now it is saying 3.33.43, just go with it if your a little faster so be it,

All the best

Craig

• Options

Yay!! Go Gareth!! I am routing for you buddy image xx

• Options

@MaxsMum - We are all winners for getting to bootcamp. Maybe us Sub5 people should meet up anyway in the future and run.

@CraigJenkins - Cheers Craig. Really appreciated. My Half Marathon target was 2:30 so 16 mins off that was a bonus. Hopefully the full will be faster as well.

@CharlieZBrown - Thanks Charlie. Exciting times. Good luck to you as well.

• Options
    welshgje wrote (see)

Since I started running I've always used Runkeeper to track where I've been and what I've done - along with the blog it has kept a useful diary for when I feel down or have lost my mojo.

Anyway I thought I'd fire up the ASICS App today and create a plan. Based on my times so far this is what it came up with: 

"Our prediction is based on your profile as a 38 year old male who can run a Half Marathon in 21:14:42." - the App has me at 4:45:59 - 4 runs a week at an Average pace

I'd take that for now.

Gareth 

I've started using the Asics App too Gareth - but only for the Bath Half at the moment. I'm considering entering Manchester Marathon and following the training plan for the "sub 5 athlete."

Anyway good luck with the voting and I'm sure you can get well under 5 hours

• Options

@jonMarshall4 - Thanks Jon for the post and encouragement. I'm sure with the proper training and leadership I will indeed get well under 5 hours.

Best wishes and good luck to you in your races.

Gareth

• Options
    DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

You got my vote Gareth - good luck!

• Options

@ds2 - Thanks DS2 - really appreciate it.

Gareth

• Options
    seren nos wrote (see)

just experience.....if its more than a couple of paragraphs people just scroll down.......on this kind of medium people do not like reading essays.image

one plus point is that you have responded quickly image

Oops, I did just that! image I read the first few words, then scrolled down, or rather, I 'speed read' the rest! Felt guilty, so I went back and read what you wrote properly!image.

I too also started using myasics, and now I'm a convert!

Good luck!

• Options

@stickyxmaspud - It's a fair point. Nobody said to us how much to write but gave us an example of last years posting - which was fairly long itself. So we took what we were given and worked with it.

Thanks for going back and reading over it. I hope it won you over.

Gareth

• Options

looks like whatever you are doing its working!

• Options

I'm going to decide who to vote for by asking one question and the person with the best answer gets it.

What's you favourite Star Wars character ??

• Options

@flat footed : You know what - that's a tough question. Having grown up with the films and been an avid fan since the start (and owning several copies of the videos/dvds and blurays - including gold and silver video sets) I really struggle to find my favourite character as they all hold a place in my heart.

When I was younger I wanted to be Luke (didn't everyone?). When I got older I wanted to be Han and date Leia. With the hair on my body now I could almost be Chewie. LOL.

I certainly wouldn't take a character from the prequels. Except maybe Darth Maul who didn't get enough screen time.

If I lose your vote then so be it - but I simply cannot give you my favourite character as they all mean so much to me.

Gareth

• Options
    LOL Gareth, your answer to flat footed is very diplomatic image love the Star Wars movies as well but anyway I actually just wanted to wish you luck as well, not that you really need it as it seems you know thousands of people anyway and my ones still need to wake up... lol .

Was nice meeting you at the Bootcamp and whoever will make it of us sub5 I won't forget the fun we had last Friday image
  • Options

Hiya lvi-kid

Diplomatic - nah I was just being truthful. I really have grown up with the films and still have a lot of the original toys. I love the Lego and am delighted that my 3 year old is finally getting into it in a big way. He loves the Lego Star Wars stuff on TV - but I keep him away from the Clone Wars and the films.

It was great to meet you too at Bootcamp - we did have a good old chunner running around that track especially during the pacing session.

• Options

There's no right or wrong answer W...Well unless you choose Jar Jar that is

• Options

@Flat Footed: Sorry - I hated jar Jar Binks.

Gareth

• Options

Nothing much to report this evening training wise besides a Power Circuits Session earlier and some canvassing on Twitter.

Sorry.

GJE