Sub 3:30 - Malcolm Barbour - Vote for me - ASICS262

1111213141517»

Comments

• To be honest I cant really remember Malcs. I have a feeling I set it up after my first run on the first official day of training, so the day after store day.

Have fun shopping at the Asics store by the way!

• DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

The real danger for new marathoners is that they often make such incredible progress at the start and it's easy to get carried away and do too much or run through a niggle.

For those that don't get injured they will probably smash their targets!image. I think Steve Loves Bacon would have gone well under 4 hours if not close to 3:30. He was young, talented and really capable. Love to see what he can do if he can get it right over the next year or so!

For us old guys, we have to be very careful and running fast has additional risks!

• I remmeber they did it last year differently....they use to set them all up so that they all had the same formet  in the title so it was easy to spot and find the,......but then they seem to change things most years........

I have to admit you need the title to be easily identifyable from all the other sub 3:30 's that have been kicking around

• no point in setting it up until the coach is ready and engaged.........remember the year they had Bud and he didn't realise that he was expected to interact on the forums ..the winners who had him were basically on their own for a few weeks until they got steve to take over his as well as his own.....

that was a big mess up and Bud got all bolshie when people were asking where he was.......someone in RW forgot to inform him what was expected from the forums..

seems like they have done the same with the winners this year with a number of them saying they will try and post if they have time..or that they go away on business and can't access the internet but will run.....

we demand to know what you are doing 24/7image.well at least once a day pleaseimage

• Afternoon Malcs!

Does this mean I can finally come back off twitter and camp here instead. Think they're sick of me over there with my 'Vote Malcs' tweets all the time anywayimage

Congratulations!! You're going to be fantastic!!

• Congratulations Malcs! Hope you enjoy your journey and I look forward to hearing how you're getting on!

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

They did mention the forums at bootcamp but it's such a packed day that it's easy for things to get lost. I was lucky because I knew what happened last year. I'm sure once we all speak on Saturday everyone will be fully informed about what happens next.

I'll certainly make sure that the forums are talked about. I'm sure they will be though.

RRR - ha ha image sorry to make you an outcast. You are more than welcome to hide out here until the dust settles. Thanks for all your help, you were a lean, mean tweeting machine!

Feral Bob - many thanks! Please do pop in from time to time or preferably more regularly! Forgive me if I've already asked but are you doing a spring marathon? Or are you saving yourself for the Cheddar Gorge challenge?

• Malcs many congratulations you so deserve this good things come to those that wait.I look forward to following your thread

Twinkle

• You are forgiven! Luckily i was fortunate enough to get a ballot place in the London marathon as a back up to the Paris extravaganza so i will be training hard for that image

I have also entered the Green man ultra in Bristol for something completely different, will be my first ultra so into new territory for meimage

Whats next for you guys in the Asics262 programme?

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Twinklestar - thanks very much indeed, so nice of you to say!

Feral Bob - fantastic! First London for you? Either way you'll love it. Actually that reminds me, now that I'm doing Paris I'll be free to come up to London and support everyone! image

Wow - Green Man is 46 miles! Are you nuts? Ah, sorry I forgot, yes you areimage

Funny you should ask what's next because I was about to say that we've been told to set up our new forum threads! This is where we'll be reporting on progress all the way up to the race itself. 

Then on Saturday we're at the Asics store in Oxford St. to get kitted out and meet the coaches and the rest of the team.

So without further ado I'm off to setup my new thread. I'll post a link back here once it's done but I'm sure you'll find it. 

• Feral Bob Great news on London, keep us posted on the training along the way, no doubt you are aiming to "smash' sub 3.30 image

Malcs You have only gone and changed your photo, gone all RW Corporate on us, do all the winners have to do it? I want orange Malcs back image

• yes first London, was the second time of trying in the ballot so i count myself pretty lucky as i know it is a long shot, really looking forward to it.  I will be running it with a mate who supports the charity CRY (Cardiac Risk in the Young) as a mate of his died at the 2011 Bristol half from an undiagnosed heart condition.

We have done a couple of Bristol halfs and i did Snowdon this year trying to raise awareness for CRY so all good image

And yes i think i have got one or two screws loose but havent we all? imageimage

Will be amazing if i can complete the Green Man tho and gain my "woodwose" title (see the website, its all very mystical image)

Enjoy the Asics store !! I will have a look for your new thread when its up and running and keep track of the training etc to try and help keep me on track!

Good luck image

• Cheers SupermanRuns will keep you posted, im off out on a Green Man countryside recce on friday as well, first of many, so if i am off the forums for a while its because im lost in the countryside surrounding Bristol  image

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Great stuff Feral Bob - you will love London!

SupermanRuns - yes, we've been asked to change to match our profile pics for the competition. The orange will be back after April.

The new thread is up:

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/forum/spring-marathon/my-asics262-journey-to-paris-sub-330-malcolm/270562.html