Sub 3:00 - Paul Davey - Please Vote For Me - Asics26.2

Comments

• Paul is closing the gap, so hopefully can catch up over the weekend...

Can even recall seeing a thread from the guy currently in the lead!?!?

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    I'm sure you can find 8 mins by the spring.

Do you ever do "time on feet" long runs?

By running for as long as your target time but at a lot slower pace. It really helps mentally to know that your body can run for that amount of time.
  • Hi CBW! No, I don't think there is a thread from the lead guy so surely that's doesn't bode well image.

Millsy - I hope so! I've been trying for a few years now (to go below 3.50 and then they changed GFA to 3.45). I had a year off marathon's this year as I felt I needed a break but I'm doing Manchester in the spring. Long runs, yes, I'd always do up to 22 miles but I'm not sure I do enough, far enough out. All my marathon training I've told myself has been solid at the time but on reflection I'm not convinced I've ever done the 'time on my feet' bit enough to warrant a better time and you're completely right, it's the mental side and having the confidence. 

If Paul gets in I will definitely follow his training closely and then hopefully I'll be inspired to keep mine going too! image Might even convert me back over to RW forums from being a bit of Fetchie for some time (only really for the training log I hasten to add). I hope that comment doesn't get me 'virtually' shot image

• Wonder what RW would do if the lead guy did get the most votes, but didn't interact on the forums? Would he be in breach of some conditions of the competition...?

Lets hope it doesn't come to that and Paul sweeps past him in the voting totals...

• Blimey! A sudden flurry of activity while I've been out! I went to the track session at my club tonight, although a tree had been blown over and was covering lanes 7/8 on the top bend. Luckily they'd put cones out, cones making everything much safer.

thanks for the support Vici, Chewie and Millsy, it'd be great to have you follow my plan if I was selected. Sounds like you’re not far from GFA Vici, more time on your feet is probably what’s needed like Millsy said.

• Hi Paul,

Congratulations on getting through to this stage! This was the hardest bit for me last year! What year did you run your marathon? All your other PB's suggest your capable of running sub 3, are the other PB's a lot more recent, over the last 6-12 months? Good luck.

• Hi AW,

Thank you and congratulations for last year! Do you have any marathons planned for 2014?

I ran my marathon PB in 2012 when my half time was 1:26:57, it's now 1:22:18 (at Birmingham this year, which certainly isn't an easy course!). My other PBs were all run this year as well.

Back at work today so finally been able to ask my colleagues to vote!

• Your in a similar position to me last year (a fair bit quicker over 5k though!) so think if you get through you'll gain a lot from being part of the comp and hopefully bag that sub 3, you've certainly got the speed!

You have my vote anyway.

I have a GFA for London so will run there this coming year. I've not run London since 2008 and really looking forward to it.

• AW, thanks for your vote and the support, much appreciated.

Good luck at London, is 2:45 an aim for the future?

• Definitely an aim for the future, may be a stretch for this April but will see how the next few months go before setting goals.

• keep me posted AW, it'd be good to get your advice along the way, if I'm selected!

anyone racing/running this weekend? I'm away for my other half's 30th Birthday celebrations somewhere in the Cotswolds.

think we'll be at Cheltenham Parkrun tomorrow, come say hello if you're there too image Might wear my Boot Camp t-shirt image

• Hi Paul, my goodness this is proving to be a tough race, I enjoy your posts, I too have a Border Collie;0

• also voted PD. Met you at boot camp in sub 3 group. Nice genuine unassuming guy. I saw how fast you flew past me on the track so am certain 3 hrs is in your reach. I am routing for you all the way and hope to bump into you at some local races.

• Best forum thread imho is the Snowdonia thread - been following that for several years now and the forumites on there have given me more encouragement and advice to get round that mountain (and many other races) than they'll ever know image.  Love the banter on RW threads, and would be interesting to follow Paul's thread .... though couldn't even imagine running sub-4 in a marathon, let alone sub-3 image.

Running with your dog is the next best thing to running with club mates, so definitely got my vote on that score image

• Roger, good to see you found the forums - it sure is close, I think it's gonna go right to the wire!

Superman, always good to have the support from a superhero! Thanks! And Good Luck in your cat!

Doppy - great to meet you at boot camp, I'm sure I'll see you at one of the XC races or in the summer road racing league next year. Thank you for your vote, keep me posted on here if you plan a sub 3 attempt next Spring! 

Stilldreaming - if I get round Paris (or whichever marathon I decide to run in the Spring), in one piece, I think Snowdonia will be next choice purely for the scenery and experience. I do a fair bit of walking in the fells around there so it'd be great to run in the marathon. I have a few friends who did it every year and love it

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    Do you have a back up plan for the spring?
  • Just voted for you goodluck you should be capable of sub 3 with that half time with a good effort.image

• Millsy, possibly Manchester as I have some friends doing it and I know its a decent course. Although I went to watch the inaugral race and the weather was horrendous.

Leslie - many thanks!

Vici, are you ok?

• ahhh.....finally home after a weekend away for the other half's 30th birthday. Excellent time in the Cotswolds and even managed a short gym session and swim at the leisure centre on site. Pooch was pleased to see us after her first experience in a kennels for a couple of nights.

Very chuffed to have passed 1200 votes, thanks to everyone that has voted for me. Not long to go now!

Think I'm gonna pop out for a short leg stretch with the dog now!

Anyone raced this weekend?

• It is very close good luck image

• Sorry, I'm not sure why I posted a couple of full stops image

The gap appears to be getting bigger image. Let's hope you can hold onto the lead now as long as people keep voting. When does voting end? 

• I have a funny feeling that it will make no difference as to who has the most votes. Runners world probably know who they want regardless. However I am pleased to see you out. in the lead Paul. I will be aiming for sub 3 in VLM in April so will be following this training plan closely

• thanks Flo Po!

Voting ends midday tomorrow I believe. It has been neck and neck since the start with Roger but I appear to have opened up a gap this morning. Perhaps it will come down to whoever has the Farah style 400m kick at the death!

Glad to hear it Doppy, is London a week or two later?

• 5 Good followed by 5 bad

1. Always having a spare t-shirt for DIY, gardening or to sleep in
    2. Food, everything, lots of it, all the time
    3. The incredible buzz from running a PB, which lasts for no more than 24hrs as once a time has been achieved it quickly becomes ‘not fast enough’, or do I need to enjoy the post race afterglow a little longer?
    4. The sociable crowd – take boot camp for example, you’d never have guessed that the majority of these people had literally just met. So much to talk about.
    5. The brightly coloured clothing, wearing a uniform for the majority of the time I get a real kick out of wearing luminious t-shirts and go faster coloured trainers. Bright trainers for racing definitely helpimage

1. Queueing/using portaloos before a race, horrible, just  horrible.
    2. Not spotting the flyer that had been hidden under your windscreen wiper and is now flashing across my windscreen every few seconds with the wiper blade.
    3. Heavy breathers – always seem to be a step or two behind me and I somehow end up sychronizing my own breathing with them, argh!
    4. ipods in races, might be a touch controversial but it’s dangerous, there’s so much to think about and concentrate on during a race
    5. Out of control dogs, when they either run towards you and play chicken until you have to jump out the way or when they run alongside you and you end up hopping and skipping in a bid to avoid snapping jaws around your calf.
  •  

wow! My closest rival has suddenly amassed around 400 votes in an hour.

Should make for a close finish tomorrow.

• AGree with most of your top/bad 5 there Paul.

One of my pet hates is people shouting at me when running. Idiots driving past in cars thinking it's funny.

Another one is dog mess on the cycle path where I run - PICK IT UP YOU DIRTY PEOPLE (for want of a nicer word).

Where I don't agree is iPods in races - I like running with music. I also use it as my tracker but hopefully Mrs WelshGJE will buy me a Garmin for christmas. I was so impressed with what I saw of them in Bootcamp.

As for the dogs - I run straight through them if they are off the lead. I am a big believer that on public footpaths they should be on a lead - ALWAYS. Get out of my way dog because I'm coming through.

GJE

• Is there any truth in the rumour that you are in fact a Fetchie???