Dear Runners World Scrutineers

Comments

• Mr I - but it is quite cold outside. image

• Okay, have to confess I just voted for someone because he was a friend of a facebook friend. But I did check that he'd done a proper forum thread first.

• I see they've just put a link to our 'vote for me' threads under our 'lovely' pics

• I find it a little disturbing that I am actually reading Mr I's post and nodding my head in agreement!!

• Oh Dear Xyloid, that is worrying. . . image

• I think the whole Asics Target 26.2 is a very clever thought out plan to get more people into running and therefor sell more running kit, it???s a big gain for very little investment, give 5 people a few hundred ?????? worth of stuff and gain a bus full of free advertising from the 5 chosen ones via a voting system etc. where the people who made it to voting tell everyone and there dog about the Asics branding (and not really know there doing it)

Say the 15 people who get to the voting stage tell 2000 people to vote for them, that???s 30000 people, what % of them people who don???t run and will start? And how much sales will Asics get from that, this will outlay the free stuff they give to the winners and more.

It???s a very clever idea for free advertising / promos and a very good opportunity for all runners

A win win for everyone I think (company get money and we get training help)

Role on next years comp, and the more that vote maybe there get places next time,

That's my 10p worth lol

A great Idea I think so get as meny votes as you can from anywhere
  • The real Mr I wrote (see)

Im not sure I really agree with all the regulars on here ...... ok slightly annoying some of the similar thread titles begging for support, but to be honest, we know its only till Tuesday (apparently) and at least its a little different to the 'Its cold outside and I lack motivation' threads on here.

I dont know, its kind of like a breeze of fresh air these threads, plus lets be honest, once the voting has stopped 90% of the people asking for our votes will disappear anyway (a bit like recruitment agents who are nice as pie to you when they are gettign you into a job, then once you're there you never hear from them again, even though they are taking a 15% cut of your money simply for forwarding a CV. Nice work if you can get it)

So not really a breath of fresh air as much as a waste of time then?

• ironmankin.......Of course its all a bid sales ploy.......

but do you or they really think that anyone who clicks on a friends voting page will be inspired to run.

I have voted for people for cooking things or dogs photos etc.can't say that at any time I thought i would get involved.was just helping out a friend or a friend of a friend.

I bet if they had a clever computer dept that they would see that 95% of those that were directed to vote from a facebook link would not actually vote for more than one person.they would not go further on this site than the one page they needed to put their vote on

• It's the time of year non runners are thinking I need to lose a few lbs before Xmass, they get a message on Facebook asking for a vote, and hay running is a good way to lose weight then have a look round the site buy some shoes and off they go,

Sounds logical and easy to me I may see it different to others but that's how I see it working

A very good plan me thinksimage
  • Seren Nos, you are so cynical in your old age!

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    Looking through the voting scores this morning it looks like some of those who are actually spending their time on the forums and interacting with the running community are getting less votes than those who have hardly contributed anything but are out there randomly face booking and tweeting everyone in sight.

This seems to go against BenRW's comment regarding people getting support from the running community.
  • There seems to be very few actually interacting that weren't here before ... many of the 'vote for me' threads haven't mustered a second page?
    It would appear most of the vote rigging and canvassing is happening off site, I suspect it is increasing initial footfall on to RW but I would very much doubt they are staying longer than a button press!

I'm for Maxs Mum and Malcs   image

• Yeah footfall is what it's all about but how many are actually interested in running?

Mandy and Dave from the school who is your mate off Facebook they voted and that funny bloke off twitter he voted

RW is this interacting with the forum like you wanted the entrants to do?

Not very thrilling anymore is it?

Do really care?

Did you know BenRW that we all interact on Facebook more than we do on here.

There's even an ex forumites group with hundreds of members. Because this forum is clunky, difficult to navigate and not fun like it used to be.

Shame this competition needs rethinking it's been manipulated by the entrants off site.
  • goldbeetle.....and the facebook group still has many more lurkers than posters just like here.........

out of the hundreds only about 25 post.....

and here there are 1000''s of post every day so not really a rival..

but the fact that apart from the bootcampers I haven't seen anyone new post on any of their vote for me pages is a bit worrying......hasn't seemed to have brought any new people inimage

• I think the RW pages need updating but i've been on other mag forums and thety're nothing like this one.  There's a huge amount of people sharing experiences which is lovely, asics comp or not.

The voting ends tomorrow midday so you can prob expect it all to quiet down soon!

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/target262/sub-400-finalists.aspx

• I've just found this vote. I work in IT in a school but have been off work for the last week so am able to say that I haven't used the 400 or so computers that are lying around the school or the 1000 pupils that have mobile phones etc etc. All good honest canvassing.

I liked the comment about encouraging other people to run with this competition. I really do hope that I an encourage the pupils in my school (and the staff) to get out there. Every Monday we run a club called CRAB (Cerdded, Rhedeg a Beicio - Walking, Running and Cycling in English) - numbers are low but if I can make a difference through this competition then good.

It's a shame the vote system can be rigged but shame on those for doing it.

Gareth

• Hi folks,

Been thinking about some of the comments. I found RW after a friend at work got into the boot camp in 2009, he'd not been on before and only joined RW for that reason. I'd started running, well kind of, in January 2009. He asked me to vote for him which I did. (He got in) Four years later I'm still here, posted a ton of cr4p on a multitude of running and non-running threads. My friend posted a lot in 2009/2010 for the VLM but pretty much bu66er all since, almost nothing in 2011, a handful of posts in 2012 and this year with the last being in May. 

So, supports the ' It brings others in ' side, and the ' Most people who come on purely to get the mara place don't do much afterwards ' side.

If reality matched intention I'd know I was dreaming
  • I suppose we all have to be careful what we say here in case we are accused of Sour Grapes. It's all good fun.

GJE

• Well I will sound like sour grapes now (I really don't care) - but I've been monitoring the groups and I've just seen one person jump 14 votes in less than 75 seconds.

Amazing

GJE

• I have privately expressed fears this would all end in tears and it looks like its coming to fruition.

• Wow - This monitoring is amazing - I'm seeing 25 votes added in less than 120 seconds.

Really flawed. Makes a joke of us honest people. Would love RW to comment.

GJE

• Who are you monitoring Gareth?
  • The real Mr I - No indeed there are no tears - but I had noticed irregular voting in my group last night. I decided to monitor it this evening to see if it happened again. Votes are being added a bit to quickly to be realistic.

5 at a time in some cases? C'mon - you know it.

If I don't go through then I will not cry tears. I'll just be happy that I entered it honestly.

GJE

• Maxs Mum - That isn't important but it's amazing to see happen.

GJE

• Dont forget Gareth that the statistics might not be in real time (I dont know if it is or isnt).

The result might be cached then updated periodically every few minutes. This saves a lot of processing and is commonly used amongst a variety of web interfaces.

So all might not be quite as suspicious as it looks.

• XX1XX1 ✭✭✭
    Ruffles wrote (see)

I think the RW pages need updating but i've been on other mag forums and thety're nothing like this one.  There's a huge amount of people sharing experiences which is lovely, asics comp or not.

The voting ends tomorrow midday so you can prob expect it all to quiet down soon!

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/target262/sub-400-finalists.aspx

What other mag forums have you been on?

• The realMr I - Nah it's pretty realy time. But 100 votes in 25 minutes is unbelievable.

• Gareth, think you might have something there. Just went to test the theory. Of the four candidates in the five minutes I was refreshing the page three went up by one, whilst the fourth went up by 15. 

Off to test the other categories just to check.....

If reality matched intention I'd know I was dreaming
  • xx1 i lurk around on triathlon220 and zest (which is closing). This is by far livelier.

welshgje friends have offered to cheat for me but I've said no, I want to know the votes are honest, though am losing so maybe I'll feel less pleased tomorrow! You'd hope people were honest but then maybe the people voting for them aren't. We'll see what happens.

• Mr I when I generously dished out my exploratory votes each counter updated instantly.