Spring Half Marathon Training

Comments

• Hi guys, hope you don't mind me joining the thread. Hoping to do my first marathon late April but looking to do a couple of half maras en route and get my PB down from 1:37:04 to under 1:35.

Kevin70, my 10k PB was 44:17 (flat course) when I ran my half PB (fairly hilly) last spring, so I reckon you can definitely get down to sub 1:40. Definitely agree with the other posters about gradually increasing the LSR. Tempo runs and intervals also really seemed to help for me.
  • Evening,

Hi Chimney & Neil - good to have you on board!!

Chimney - know you pain lugging some extra weight round too. Got back from holiday 6 weeks ago and was two stone over my ideal weight! I haven't got the positive of giving up smoking either... Lost 10 lbs so going in the right direction. At least  I'll be faster for the same effort when I reach my target. Have you done Reading before, first time for me?

Neil - I managed a HM PB from 1:32 to 1:26 when Mara training so I reckon you knock  some time of yours.

Kevin - that looks like a good mix to me and a good LR, reckon you won't have too much trouble in getting them to 13+ when you drop the pace a bit!

Good work Gaz, like it when the run feels like that. Enjoy your run tomorrow, weather looking pretty rubbish!

just done 4 recovery miles @ 8:56, weather awful - looking fwd to 14-15 tomorrow. 

• Hi JR, Reading was my first ever race in 2009, and was going to be my only race. I was only doing it to keep the wife company and do something to keep fit while I had an operation on my shoulder from rugby. 

Once I finished I knew I could do better.......

This will be my fourth. 

Hoping to join in with everyone's running reports soon, may pop out tomorrow for a couple of miles very slow, just to see how everything is doing and not to try my shiny new 620.....

If reality matched intention I'd know I was dreaming
  • Hi JR. That's a really good reduction in your half time, especially at the level you are running at. Do you think it was just the extra mileage on your mara program or did you also change other aspects of your training, i.e. more speedwork?

My second spring half is going to be the same one as I got my PB in last year so it will be interesting to see how the times compare. The first half, late Feb, is late February so I'll be well happy to run anything close to my PB.

Know what you mean about the weight loss. Managed to get about four kilos off in the past two months and it definitely makes a difference..
  • Sorry! Correction to above post. Meant to write that the first half in late Feb is very hilly!
  • Chimney - how was the run/new watch? Is Reading a PB course?

Neil - I think it was a combination of sticking to a 18 week plan and some base building before that of about 8 weeks. The tempo runs at HM pace certainly helped, these peek at 11 miles with 7 at HM pace. I think this was the first time I ran so much without a break. I have never been consistent runner much because I play hockey & cricket throughout the year.

15.2 miles @ 8:20 in the wind and rain. Last 0.2 in 6:58 so still had a bit in the tank.

• Good run that JR, especially allowing for the conditions. Got a 10k next weekend which is important to me, so did a shorter Sunday run today. 14k (11k at long tempo speed) 1:06:21 (50:26 @4:35 per km). Nice sunny day.

Thanks for answering my question. Sounds like you were really well prepared for both for the training plan and the race itself. Lot to be said for consistency and specifity of training. Tempo runs have really helped me too over the last year. I think they are also my favourite type of training run.

Chimney, I'd also like to know about your new Garmin as I'm thinking of getting one, although probably the 220.
  • Nice runs JR and Neil. How did the short, gentle run go Chimney?

A slightly wet and windy 12k  in 1:06:46 (a fairly steady 8:57 pace) this afternoon. Still a bit fast for an LSR, but I can work on that. Unusually, didn't see another runner out on the road.

• Nice running Neil, although I'm struggling to convert the paces in m/m... Think I prefer intervals, will start some in the new year.

Gaz, snap, nor did I! Yep, you're right, a good run but a bit quick. Think that was faster than your easy run during the week.

• Neither of you saw any other runners because you were the only ones dedicated enough to get out there in crap weather. Well done to you both.

Gaz, that's a pretty good effort given the wind. Not sure what to say about the pace. Are you following any particular training plan?

JR - sorry, always work in metric but will try to convert in future. Intervals! My least favourite - but they will have to be re-introduced from the first week of Jan.
  • TBH, I was probably still in bed when everyone was out...

think I will start with 800m followed by 1k, 1.2k & 1m reps all with recovery at 50%. Will break in my new lighter runners over the holidays.

• I got up to 9.3m on my long run on Saturday, nice and slow and also dry!  I'm aiming for 10m this coming weekend then going to take it easy the following week.

Everyone else seems to be going great guns, well done all!

• MandMMandM ✭✭✭

Another hopeful who would like to go sub 1:40 in Feb, currently training for Rome mara and hoping to use mara training to achieve my half goal, last year 1 did 1:43 so am hopeful that i can go below 1:40.

• Mavie and MandM - Welcome!

Neil - My bad running habit is going faster than I should for the type of run. It's a hangover from when I was ignorant of the value of different types of training session and would just belt out a few k's several times a week. I'm working on slowing myself down to avoid knackering anything.

I've taken a couple of different plans and bastardised them to fit my needs. It revolves around a weekly schedule of an LSR at the weekend and two shorter runs during the week: one an easy run and another tempo or interval session. Because of work and other sporting commitments I'd find it very hard to fit in more than 3 sessions per week (although I can manage it occasionally.)

My goal is to complete the Cambridge Half Marathon at the start of March, ideally in under 2 hours. My paces (see below) put me ahead of this, but it's my first HM and I do not want to injure myself on the way.

My paces are based off a 49:31 10k run that I did a few weeks ago. LSR = 10:15mm, Easy = 9:44mm, Tempo = 8:07mm.

• Hi and welcome to M & M and Mavie! 

Mungus - great run, at 10 you're building up that base nicely!

M&M - sounds like an achievable target to me, especially with all those xtra long runs you'll have planned.

Mavie, I think that sounds a bit extreme. I'm peaking two week before and cutting back  to around 10-11 the week before. The final week will easy runs with a few miles at race pace to get my legs ready...

No run for me tonight - had a massage instead, had a few sore bits but should keep me in shape for the next few weeks.

• Yep, welcome Mavie and M&M.

Agree with JR that your half target is definietly doable, especially with the extra mileage you'll be doing on the road to Rome.

Gaz, the reason I made the comment about the pace and asked about the plan was because this year I've been mainly following the Furman FIRST plan which is 3 runs a week; intervals, tempo and LSR plus cross-training. The LSR tends to be a bit quicker than what you might see in other plans so wondered if you were doing something like this.  

Massage for me as well this evening JR and a definite cutback week for me ahead of a 10k race this Sunday. Glutes feel a lot easier now.

• Evening all, plenty of posters now with some good advice going around and hopefully between us all we can discuss training to get the times we are looking for in our HM.

6mls tonight easy pace 8.48avg

• MandMMandM ✭✭✭

Did 10K last night on the Dread Mill, 10 min Wup followed by (4 min @ 4:20K pace 1min recovery walk) x 9, 10min Wdn, felt tough but manageable, seems i earned my rest day today. image

• MandMMandM ✭✭✭

Thanks Just Running for vote of confidence, yes there are a few 20Milers planned before the half and i hope they help the cause!

thanks neil jones 26 and GazMorris for the welcome!

• Good work MandM, sounds like a hard workout!

Easy 8k today at 9:13 pace for a total of 46:07 after first breakfast, but before second breakfast image. I'm noticing that once I run 8k or more, I'm getting the characteristic acetone smell of fat metabolism (aka ketone breath) and I'm not 100% sure whether this is a good thing or a bad thing at this stage. Certainly, I don't feel bad after a run.

• Been busy on here! Welcome Mavie, MandM, Kevin, Chimney and Neil - and any others I may have missed. Been away for long weekend which included Regents Park 10k on Sunday with my son - did 57:11 which is not the best for this year - went off too fast as usual  - must learn to pace properly - but a lovely park and a friendly bunch of folk. (son did 42:35 on v little training - oh to have young legs!)

3m recovery this morning in the sun, lovely!

• Evening,

Kevin - good miles & sensible pacing there.

M&M - I found the longer runs we're very helpful, although its nice to PB along the way but guessing your Mara is your main goal?

Gaz - good run from you too, again good pacing. Not sure on the fat burning question...

Annie - glad you had a good experience and it must have been an enjoyable weekend away. Did you get a good medal!?

After deciding to wait until after Xmas before starting intervals I promptly started tonight...

Plan was 1x0.5, 3x0.25 & 1x0.5 all with 60 secs rest inbetween.

2 mile WU followed by 3:07, 1:27, 1:26, 1:26 & 3:04 and then 1.25 mile WD for 5 miles @ 7:16 av. Not a bad 1st session.

long(ish) easy run planned for tom.

• Thanks Anniesophie and good run in the Regents Park 10k by the way. Know what you mean about the pacing in 10k races. It's very easy to go off too fast and not have much left later on.

M&M, how do you find the treadmill compared to running outdoors? I find it more difficult, both physically but particularly mentally. Do you have it set on an incline of 1% when you run?

Gaz & Kevin, you both seem to be going well.

JR - good intervals, nice and tight.

Ran a total of 10k (52:48) tonight, inc 6 x 400 intervals @ 91secs off 400m RI. Did 88, 90, 92, 88, 89, 93 so the third and sixth went a bit awry but an average of 90 secs per rep.
  • JR - I'm trying to get hold of a sports physiologist through some contacts to ask about post-exercise ketosis. I'll let you know what (s)he comes up with.

Neil - Thanks. I'm enjoying the running. It really clears the head before or after a day sat in front of a computer in an air-conditioned office.

Anne-Sophie - Well done to you and your son on the 10k. have you considered stopping the little blighter's allowance until he shows his mother some proper respect? image

I've got a business trip tomorrow, so I ran this week's 5k tempo run today at 07:34 pace for a total of 23:31 (still a bit too fast.) which gives me three days off before my 12k LSR on Sunday. Happy running y'all.

• Neil - good splits there too.

A speedy session there Gaz, no harm in that I would say just keep Sunday's pace easy. Looking fwd to the feedback...

On the subject of intervals - what are people's opinion on length? I think anything over 800m are more beneficial for me for HM training and a pace between 5-10k.

6.08 miles @ 7:52 m/m for me tonight. Had planned further but as the weather is not pleasant here I'm glad I went at all!

• JR good tempo session and well done for going out tonight..

Gaz pacing is always a problem on tempos for me..

Neil consistent on the 400s was it at the track.

Annie great time by your son.. have went off way to fast myself many a time and crawled to the finish..image

Hi Mavie and MandM..image

Was ready to go running tonight but running partner cancelled very windy.. so legs saved for club session tomorrow night 8 x 650 reps

• JR - The training plan I followed for a half back in the spring generally had interval sessions from 800m to 1600m reps, although occasionally there were some 10 or 12 x 400s, so I would definitely say that for HM training 800m plus intervals are the way to go with adjustment of paces depending on the length of the reps, for example 800s @ 3.05, 1000s @ 3:53, 1200 @ 4:44 etc.

Kevin - kind of. The park where I do a lot of my running has a narrow track and equates to 1200m (three-quarters of a mile) per lap. A wooden post marks every 100 metres, so it's ideal for intervals and tempos. Hope your club session goes well.

• I'd like to join in please!  I'm aiming for sub 1:30 at Sheffield in April.  Ran 1:30:33 at the Great North this year whilst training for the Yorkshire Marathon.

That's as far as my plan goes so far! Going to start training seriously again in the New Year and I am planning to join a club (although I've been saying that for over a year now!).

• Welcome W.A.T.H, you sound in a similar position to me. How did you get on in your marathon? I'm looking to join a club too but I said that after I completed VLM in 2011... Have you been ticking over over the last few weeks?

A question for you, as a couple of the other posters might be interestedWas that your first marathon and if so what was your previous HM PB? 

Kevin - did you get out tonight?

Neil - Makes sense to me. Think some pyramid session may also be useful, if anything they'll add a bit of variety. In a few weeks time I may try 1 x 600, 800, 1000, 1200, 1000, 800, 600.

10 mins of hail and a head wind added to the enjoyment tonight... 6.29 miles @ 7:39 tonight. Splits were 8:28, 7:55, 7:42, 7:38, 7:33, 6:53 & 6:46 for the last bit. First & last mile is the same hill and probably the same amount of effort!