Spring Half Marathon Training

Comments

• Mungus - it's normally the park & ride!! +1 for the support though, the atmosphere is excellent! Do you run along the canal? A nice flat route!

• I'm a heavy user of the canal - I reckon I could be personally responsible for the depth of some of the puddles given my usage of that pathover the last two years. I prefer hills though but a flat route is good sometimes, especially as my marathon is going to be flat. Agree with you about the cost of Bath but since it sells out every year nothing will change there.

• I love running along the canal, apart from the odd rogue dog on an extendible lead you can pretty much zone out and admire the view.  It can be depressing doing an out-and-back though, so I try to mix it up a little bit.

• JR - Thanks, but getting out of the house for 30 mins for a quick run always helps my mood so I don't find it too much of a chore!

JR, Mungus and benignmurmurring - Sounds like you're all in the same neighbourhood.

Easy 5 miles this afternoon at 08:38 pace for a total of 43:24. Still feeling a bit sluggish but that's probably the final remnants of the cold and clearly nothing whatsoever to do with the extremely good curry, wine, cheese, port and sticky toffee pudding that I had for dinner with some friends last night.

Good running!

• Merry Christmas everyone and welcome benignmurmurring and Stuart , over eating, over drinking but still we manage to get in our runs.

11mls lsr on sat avg 9.11 and this morning in the lovely rain 7mls avg 8.00.

Hope we all have a good year with plenty of quality running and maybe some pb's.

• Hiya! Mind if I join in on this thread?

I (foolishly!!) signed up for the Edinburgh Marathon after completing the half last year... and am now into 'pre-training' for the whole shebang.

I'm really just hoping to survive, but there's a little secret ambition to manage in under 4 hours too! 

Given my history of being woefully underprepared I think I'll need a bit of encouragement and help with motivation for the training, and seeing what everyone else is up to definitely helps with that. image

• Gaz, a good run despite the unusual fuelling strategy!!

Kev - two good runs there, good pacing on your long run. 

Hi Pineapple!! Tell us a bit more, your HM time, what training plan you're following, your paces etc....

10 miles for me this morning @ 8:20. Building a bit more base in prep for speedier stuff next week! 183 miles for December.

• My HM best is 2:00:34 ... done on two 10km runs and a bit of random shorter other running.

My HM before that was done on even less training and a recently sprained ankle and was just under 2 and a half hours.

My base fitness from having a very active job (walking ~50miles a week) got me through those although I wasnt quick but I appreciate that a whole marathon is a bit of a different beast and I am absolutely determined to train properly this time!

At the moment I'm trying to do two runs a week, which is all I've been managing with work getting in the way. One shorter 6-7km at about 5:40 mins per km and a longer run of about 13km (8miles) at about 6:25.  I manage these fine, a little tired towards the end, but far from exhausted and there's no tiredness the next day.

After the new year work will settle down and I have a garmin training plan downloaded and ready to go mid-january, so I'm hoping to have the long runs increased in distance but keeping the pace roughly the same, and at least one extra run a week with faster stuff in there in addition to the shorter 6/7km.

I'm also signed up for the alloa half in march to hopefully give me a better idea of a realistic time for Edinburgh, and to be fair warning to myself if I slack off on the training again!

• Pineapple - my comments, hope they'll be of some use... Conversion of half to full is usually around x2 + 20 mins based the same training proportions. As you did little for your HM 4 hrs may be achievable if you stick to your plan!! Your race in March will be a good time to see where you are. Good luck!

As it's day 1 of 2014 what are everyone's running aspirations for the coming year?

Mine are:

1. Run for the full 12 months of the year - target 2000 miles
    2. A sub 3:10 marathon from 3:13
    3. A sub 1:25 HM from 1:26:3x
    4. A sub 40 10k from 40:07

Targetting the PB's for the autumn.

• Hi all, hope you dont mind me joining in?

My running aspriations this new year:

1. PB on 10k of sub 40 from 41.55
    2. Consistently run 50km per week (30 miles)
    3. Join the local AC
    4. Run Buxton and Bridgwater HM (and set a new PB?)
    5. Run 5 10k races and 2 HMs

At the moment I have only ever ran 1 race, all my other PBs are just running around the peak district or Manchester trying to set PBs with noone to race against!

• Jim, welcome!

Good targets there, think a sub-40 is def on especially as the above time was your first effort! A decent HM time looks in the cards too as long as you get a long run up to around 13-15 miles. A PB is nailed on of course!! I imagine you're used to some hilly stuff in the peaks? 

I do my week day running in Cornwall, that's pretty hilly too. love coming back to flatter Wiltshire at the weekends!

• JR thanks for the welcome. My Long runs are scheduled to increase by 2-3km a week till the end of Feb getting up to around 25km, which is about bang on what you have had said there. 

I ran my HM pb in Aug, with no breakfast, and fairly little training around Buxton. 304m elevation change, so fairly hilly and got 1:43. But I crashed big time afterwards, I couldnt do anything for the rest of the day, which ruined bank holiday monday, and my first run out afterwards I picked up a nasty ankle sprain in the first 5 minutes. Needless to say I learned from that mistake!

I am blessed to live in a nice part of the world. Plenty of gorgeous hills, and my Long Runs are always in the hills now, which takes away the boredom element. I am thinking of switching up the long runs to some trail runs on alternate weekends, still long, but probably slightly slower for the much steeper climbs. 

Cornwall is lovely, not been there since I was 14 (not including stag do). How many races do you plan doing in a year? I know you said you play Hockey and cricket, so I guess the summer months limit you somewhat. 

• My running aspirations are less race based. I don't know how I'll feel after my first marathon; maybe I will want go back to lesser distances and more cross country afterwards or maybe I will become a marathon junkie. Anyway I want my running to be about sociability, endorphins  and beautiful places as much as pbs. I might explore some halves and 10ks in different places and do some cross country relays with my running club.

A good day to reflect though. I'm really loving the marathon  (and half) training except that most of my routes are getting flooded image

• Jim - Seems like you're on the right track then. All year round really as hockey finishes in March and cricket starts in April! However, I'll probably be ditching cricket this year as working away from home all week and being out for most of Saturday isn't what I want. 

At the moment I have Reading and Plymouth halves booked, a 10 miler in Feb with some 10k's to be found for the summer months and then an autumn HM and mara.

Cornwall in lovely but I reignited my running in the winter and have experienced the worst of a coastal location...

Benign - That's what I like about running, all the goals are personal and not just the times. Waiting for the rain to ease before getting out myself - a good day to try out my Xmas presents....

• So looks as though you have around 10 races in mind, at varying distances and with a mara in there too! Be a while before I look at that distance. Mostly because I cant afford the time to train for it. Maybe when the children are a little older and the wife more agreeable... ha.

I saw that you brought some new racers. I thought about that, but the amount I have spent in recent months, I have to wait till march till wife will let me buy another pair. Soon adds up; Trail shoes, Road Shoes, various Cold weather clothes, Garmin watch etc etc. I thought running was going to be cheap!

Benign- There is so much to be said for just running in a nice place. Taking it all in. You talk about sociabillity, do you find there are many people that chat during races? Or are you talking about club running, or socials after? If you want a nice place do a HM, come to Buxton. Tough route, up hill, but gorgeous views. 

• Jim - think I'll settle on 8. Key races will be the ones in the autumn. Two weeks prior to my Mara I ran a 10k with 7 slow before and a couple afterwards after a suggestion from the 3:15 thread. This is where I recorded the 40:07. This def helped as Mara pace felt a lot easier. A good tip to pass on to the others who are running the this spring.

Know what you mean about kit. Now is a good time to buy. I managed to get mine a lot cheaper and am thinking about buying another pair of everyday shoe whilst they're a bit cheaper... Although the clothes usual last several years, although mine are a bit snug at present... Looking for comfortable by the end of the month!

• while I was doing my base miles, I havent really been concentrating at running at a specific pace. In fact I have just been trying to run at a conversational pace without looking at my watch, to check the pace. 

I find myself talking myself, reminding myself that a lamp post is grey and tall and other nonesense just to keep talking. I sometimes run with my dog and kid myself by telling her that I am much fitter ha ha. Do you guys talk to yourself too when doing this kind of training? Am I doing the base miles correctly by just running at a comfortable pace? 

Looking at the amount you seem to be running, I am sure the clothes will be comfortable in 2 weeks. 

• Sounds like you're running at the right pace but you may get some funny looks!?

7.1 miles for me tonight @ 7:50. Didn't miss the rain...

I really should read my posts back!

• Yea the dog looks at me as though I have gone crazy. noone else seems to be out when its tipping it down with rain!

• Everything on the left side, hip to knee down to foot, feels just a bit off. I'll test it out carefully on a club run tonight.

Whisky Jim - what do I mean by sociability and running? Hmm.. mostly the camaraderie between runners on club nights or whilst driving to races. Also those brilliant conversations that happen when you find yourself in a social situation with another runner and can just talk unadulterated running without boring each other. I love both lone running and running with the pack.

• Jim - know that feeling, back in Cornwall to be welcomed back with horizontal rain and a weather warning! Satisfying 6.6 @ 7:58!

Benign - hopefully all went smoothly with the run? Thinking about joining a club next week. All a bit intimidating and a bit clichéd (joining in January)

Anyone else running tonight?

• Welcome WhiskyJim! There's nothing wrong with talking to yourself, but if you start answering back and disagreeing then you may have a problem. I also run mostly alone, but that's simply because my work means that very often I can't plan from one week to the next.

JR - Nice run. Sounds like the weather's going to be rubbish down your way though.

A slightly frustrated 5k this evening in 26m28s. I had planned a 5 mile tempo run but hadn't factored in how dark it would be once I had left the village, which I need to do to get more than about 5k (my first attempt at evening running.) I'll make up the 3k by jogging to the local park and trying some strides before breakfast tomorrow morning, but I can see a headtorch in my future.

• Gaz - I use a headtorch 4 times a week. I have an Alpkit Gamma which is great and reasonbly priced. It has a rear LED for additional safety and from memory was about £15. There are probably some related threads. Also had a LED Lenser for Xmas, this is a lot brighter which I'll use for off road as there are some lovely trails here. Just waiting for them to drain! 

A positive from your run - at least you went!

• Hi guys, seems like you've all been keeping things going over the holidays. Welcome to Benignmurmuring, Stuart, Pineapple and WhiskyJim.

I make you right about the cost of kit Whisky. Been looking for a waterproof running jacket and there not cheap. Was walking past a Nike store the other day and I know they are not the cheapest but their prices were jaw-dropping for what I'm looking for. Think I'll get over to Decathlon this weekend.

JR - totally agree about the benefits of running shorter, faster distances and how they can make running longer distances at slower paces feel a lot easier.

17k this morning (just over 10.5miles) in 1:29:50. Heavy going at times despite the nice weather and felt like I was pulling a cart at times. Christmas excess I guess.

Go on to my marathon training plan in a few days time and want to ask you guys about your experiences using energy gels. Never used them for half maras and part of me is a bit reluctant to start now but I suppose I'd better. Hope this isn't a stupid question, but if you regularly take a sports drink during a marathon, would you still need to take gels? Also interested to know generally how you've got on with gels. Cheers
  • Neil,

My experience and a bit of theory (from memory so please double check). 

I believe the body can absorb about 60g of carbs per hour. The SIS gels I used were about 23g which would mean one about every 22 mins. As you'll have carb loaded you won't need this much. I used one every 5 miles supplemented with a few jelly babies (about 5g each). I didn't hit the 'wall'. 

I really only used them for my MP long runs and for all of my warm up races as it may be beneficial to test them at race pace rather than long run pace.

Hope this helps?

• All very helpful JR, many thanks. Was intending to experiment with gels in my long runs but taking them at race pace also sounds like a good idea. Will also check out the carb loading ratios you mention too.
  • Neil- Nike store is turbo expensive. I generally try and buy my stuff online, and then use google to find the cheapest price. I have very little knowledge on gels, so glad you asked. I use an iso drink when running on long runs over 90 minutes, and take a gel with me. Sip drink on way round and gel at half way. I carb up with porridge about 90minutes before a run. I never used to have breakfast before a run, but soon learned the error of that!

Gaz-I have also been looking at head torches, I want to run some short 9k trails after work. I have looked at the AlpKit and the Lenser, I really need to read more on it though, dont want to get a crap torch and do my ankles in. 

My training plan so far is working well, last week I built my base miles up to 40km, this week I am hoping to get up to around 45km. I have a 9km easy pace run to do tonight, and over the weekend I have a 17km long Trail/Raod run over the hills. 

• I didn't do my club run last night. I was distracted by the the thought of steak and red wine for supper. I feel really good this morning with no aches so I think it was the right choice. The iron supplies needed topping up and it was the first time I CBAd since my training started.

I use isotonic High5 or SIS gels on runs over 12 miles. I would definitely use at least 2 of them in a half marathon, one after about 40 mins and one 30 mins later (for a 2 hr half) The non-isotonic gels give me abdominal pain because I don't tend to drink much on a half, plus they feel so hard to swallow. Its essential to practice with them first so that you find out if they suit you and develop technique for taking them without slowing down.

I think gels will be even more important for the marathon, or at least some form of carb intake. And fluids totally essential. All of the training is also supposed to teach your body to burn fat better (therefore preserving carbs) so taking gels on every training run would not be a good thing as it would inhibit this process, so maybe use them just on the longer runs.

I found Matt Fitzgerald's "New Rules of Marathon Nutrition" really good, although a bit over-the-top obsessive.

• Just Running  - club running is great and you're fast enough not to need to be intimidated by anyone. Most clubs are really friendly and they can add a slightly competitive element to training runs that is great for speed.

• JR & WhiskyJim - When I complained about last night's cockup to my wife, she said "Oh, I forgot!" and promptly dug out an LED headtorch she meant to give me for Christmas. Might be a bit bulky, but I'll give it a go when I get a chance.

Didn't get outdoors today owing to a crap night's sleep when sprog #1 decided that Mummy and Daddy's bed would be much snugglier than his own and spent the night wriggling. I'm going to bump up tomorrow's LSR from 12k to 16k as I'm itching to go out for a good long one.

Good running!