Frowned on?

Comments

• Cake seems to be hill baiting us Southerners. Now there is a thought. North v South road hillfest. When I am mended, of course.

Sensible limit say 50 ish miles. I think we could put on a good show? I wonder if Smiffy would help make up a route?

Just a thought.

• Dusty already got the perfect route for you all lined up tour de france goes right past our house next year new roads and everything. If you fancy it.image

• Say between Sheffield and Holmsfirth? That's not 50 miles but I think that might put people off if said to Huddersfield or something? Took Steady up one of the hills via car the other weekend she can say how flat it is.

• Sad and cheerful! Bingo!

As for the hill climb fest... Sign me up!
  • Us it as training or wait until next years A races out of the way?

• Think we might have something here Cakey me laddo. Have you got anything further on the route you suggest? Including burger stop at the end. A decent one.  Plus metres upflat?

I've been to Sheffield, it was flat. image. Good travelodge.

Engineer could get to use his triple. Ha.

I won't be up to anything in early year certainly, but later on, very much hope so.

I have a route as well, roughly 50 miles.

Let's see if any more interest on this utterly hijacked thread?

• Cake, cheers for the hug.  Steady delivered it the other day image

Gypsy Hill ?

• Cake wrote (see)

Dusty already got the perfect route for you all lined up tour de france goes right past our house next year new roads and everything. If you fancy it.image

Cake, I did a couple of hills over that way earlier in the year. Did the climb from down by the reservoir up to Holme moss (radio tower) which I think is on the TDF route. then shat myself going down the other side and only hit just over 40mphimage

Good climb and has road markings with distance to top.

• I like hills.....and i drink triples not ride them.

• Cake wrote (see)

Say between Sheffield and Holmsfirth? That's not 50 miles but I think that might put people off if said to Huddersfield or something? Took Steady up one of the hills via car the other weekend she can say how flat it is.

I'll gladly be on 'Team north'. I grew up just outside 'uddersfield, so know the roads well image

• Just had a look at Holme Moss, looks fun, nice steady gradient a bit more than Box Hill, the 14% 3/4 of the way up might sting a little. Weather conditions look like they might be very harsh and windy so what it lacks in gradient might break a few heads. Long old schlep too.

Nice little warm up for us Southernersimage Though admittedly, none of ours are particularly long. But long enough!

Any more?

• Dustboy wrote (see)

Just had a look at Holme Moss, looks fun, nice steady gradient a bit more than Box Hill, the 14% 3/4 of the way up might sting a little. Weather conditions look like they might be very harsh and windy so what it lacks in gradient might break a few heads. Long old schlep too.

Nice little warm up for us Southernersimage Though admittedly, none of ours are particularly long. But long enough!

Any more?

Thy group o' sahthern cyclists will be completely beyten by wee northern cyclists. Tha should start trainin naw, ta sev enny furtha embarrassment.

• I have no doubt in my mind whatsoever that we will be utterly slaughtered by Cake in the post ride food frenzy having witnessed the master first hand.

As for the ride, you might need to put some hills in first....

Ee bah goom

And you spell embarrassment correctly.

I think it would be a brilliant day out, at both ends.

Might need a bit of southern support though, where are you all?

I have thought of a luvly route, toned down a bit for the northerners of course, but a fab ride, nonetheless.

• Loads of hills round there. I started from stalybridge and up one long hill before heading to Holme moss then league of gentleman country glossop and back to stalybridge. I did mow cop a few months ago as well, there's a treat for anyone wanting a hill... 1/4image

• I've got this Run DMC v Jason Nevins type image in my head ... cept its a load of pierights in yellow lycra ...

• Just uchoobed it, now that looks more like it.

Do all Northerners do it on a MTB with a 30/36 set up?

• Ah, Meldybabelicioustoptottiness.

Fancy revisiting Tootles loop with the Northerners?

• Dustboy wrote (see)

Just uchoobed it, now that looks more like it.

No and it's all weather dependant...up in the clouds! image

• The Grand Old Duke of York eh Dusty ??   image

• When and where dusty!  

Us lahndahnerrs can climb as well as go fast on the flats.   Them northern types dont undrrstand the fast bit on the flats image  they think thats the rest period - not the bit they are supposed to go hard on.

(I know a nice lady from yorkshire who rips my legs off on the hills i have ridden with her on..... i have never seen her pushing it on the flats..... but i suspect its the same story image  )    but shes a proper rider and not a pirate so we ahould be fine

• I would be up for this, date dependant.

• if we are comparing hills.there a couplke around me i can throw in image

• I see your silly empty headed english pimple hills, I blow nose in your general direction, your hills are a mole hill and your steep bits merely corbetts, now go away or I shall taunt you a second time. 

Pete

Inthehills

In scotland, but not from Scotland. 

• Cornwall is where it's at endless lumpinessimage my special hilly torture session loop has reduced grown men to tearsimage

• hah..... call them hills?... you lot know nothing.

You should try the Fens.... there are speed bumps so steep and endless that you get altitude sickness at their peak, and vicious downhill segments that last for seemingly seconds on end....  its a true test I tell you.... a true test...

lets be honest.... its all prep for an Ironman on my 100th birthday
  • seren nos wrote (see)

if we are comparing hills.there a couplke around me i can throw in image

Can we see a picture of your hills?

• Huge....tracts of land!

• Pete I think you hills might break them but we could have a england vs scotland thing going on to?

Blue Peter wrote (see)
    Cake wrote (see)

Dusty already got the perfect route for you all lined up tour de france goes right past our house next year new roads and everything. If you fancy it.image

Cake, I did a couple of hills over that way earlier in the year. Did the climb from down by the reservoir up to Holme moss (radio tower) which I think is on the TDF route. then shat myself going down the other side and only hit just over 40mphimage

Good climb and has road markings with distance to top.

That's where I'm thinking roughly. If anyone saw SPOTTY last night Hanna what's her name was filmed training on them.

Blue Peter wrote (see)
    Dustboy wrote (see)

Just uchoobed it, now that looks more like it.

No and it's all weather dependant...up in the clouds! image

Up and above the clouds. So when do you fancy? Will have to check with the missus that we arn't doing anything but we have prenty of spare bed space at ours and room for tents if needed. If you fancy it could time it for one of the local hlaf marathons or fell races? Fodder on the ride won't be a problem it's up north there is a gregg's on every street corner.

• If I wasn't already planning an oly and a marathon in september I'd see you at the start line...

http://www.handsonevents.co.uk/?page_id=20

..but probably not the finish line until much much later...