Beyond #asics262: life after Target 26.2 for sub-3:30 runner Malcolm

Comments

• DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

Sticky/Angela - I did much of my training last year on a 0.9mile loop in a park including a number of 18+ mile runs. It certainly helped build mental toughness!!!

To be fair, it was right on the top of the downs and beautiful in the mornings as the sun came up!

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Blimey, it's all gone Walt Disney around here!

Where I run the people rarely talk to each other, let alone the animalsimage

Sam has very kindly provided us with an updated version of her strength and stability training exercises. Here's a link if you want to give them a try:

Strength and Stability Training Exercises

• OMG DS2 you are K K K Keraaazeee!!!  how could you do an 18 mile run on a 0.9mile loop?!?!  Didn't the garmin go crazy???

Freemers, you must not be a million miles away from me if you're in Suffolk...  Colchester's pretty much on the border- I bet we've probably done some of the same races.  What is your local parkrun?  Do you go to it?  We did a lot of our bike training around Suffolk, until I convinced my fiance that the Essex coast was flatter than Suffolk countryside.... Still couldn't stop him from stopping for ice cream thought!! image

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

I remember reading about Helen Skelton doing a 30 mile training run by doing laps of a football field. You'd be ready for a padded cell after that!

Time to bite the bullet and do this strength thang. I have promised to do more of this as I really feel it's something I've neglected over the past few years.

Currently I do two squats per day but that's out of necessity and usually includes a short period of sitting in between. Sadly, I don't think this can be counted as part of a strength training routine, in the same way as cider doesn't count as part of your 5-a-dayimage

Will report back on how I get on.

• Angela - I'm on the very northen bit of Suffolk, pretty much mid way between Ipswich and Norwich.  I go to Norwich as my "local" parkrun, which isn't that local (25 mile drive).  Which one do you do?

• Wow DS2, do you ever lose count of how many laps, or do you have a secret on how to keep track?

Malcs, thanks for sharing Sam's exercises! image Which ones did you do today, or did you do all of them?

I have less of 'land' animals during my runs. When I can see them away from darkness, mine mainly have wings: ducks, swans, geese, the odd heron that always really make my day!

• Thanks for the strength regime:  Will have a go at that. I currently do something that I got out of a triathlon book so it includes a few upper body exercises as well. Extra mileage means less free time so I probably need to be more running specific for the next three months.

My long runs tend to comprise mostly cross country footpaths with a section of between 5 and 8 miles along the canal.  I often do the canal section at a slightly quicker pace; sometimes MP, but more often 'steady'.

Whenever we visit my parents in Derbyshire I try to go for a decent hilly and usually muddy run.  Last time I was with my wife and dog and we got chased by a load of bullocks, which was quite exciting. 

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Sticky - no problem! I did all the exercises. Took me about half an hour. 

The single leg balances were a nightmare. Can't believe how bad I was at them - like Bambi on ice. I had to give up on the 'looking from side to side' bit because I was all over the place.

The dips I also struggled with but the whole thing was a challenge if I'm honest. I'm going to turn this in a positive and see this as me having huge potential for improvementimage. I'll definitely be making this a regular part of my plan.

lou - being chased by the bullocks is one thing but being caught by the bullocks is a far more painful experience (I'm regretting that one already - I'll get my coat) image

• Most animals I see is roadkillimage  I do swear at them when I have to do tempo work... 

DS2: blimey, but a 0.9 mile loop over 18 miles is proper hardcore. Only a treadmill can be worse!
    The hard winter last year (I live in Germany - it's fcking freezing over here) meant that on occasion I had to stick to a 1k stretch of road that was cleared and I ran that up and down, up and down. But never 18 miles of it ...

Enjoy your rest, Malcs.

This page has turned into a mahoosive Asics ad ... not sure I like it. Oh bummer, I probably get banned now for writing that :-/  

• DS2 - I know some people on other threads who have done there lsr's on the TM, at least they don't have to count laps.

• the enduroman triathlon events have the run course at 1.1 miles...........so when i got off the bike in the double I had to do 48 laps......and it was off road and hilly.........luckily i didn't have to count as half way into the night I was hallucinating badly.......lucky it was all away from cars

apparently i was seeing animals everywhere from black dogs to hedgehogs to cats. infact I had to be stopped form going to stroke my imaginary cats as they were in the middle of a lake

• Seren - So what's next on the bucket list, deca-ironman. I think that would send me round the bendimage.

• yes the key part of the Thursday session was to hit marathon pace - the rest of the session it doesn't matter too much what pace you hit and the times given were just a very rough guideline. ie best to run 10 minute miles for slow bit and 8 for fast section rather than 9s for slow bit and 8:30s for fast section!

Slowkoala - yes probably doing London - 31st in a row - missed 1983 but have done rest - and currently should be in sub-3 shape as am lot fitter than when ran 2:59 2 years ago.

I did first sub-3 in first marathon in 1976 and if could do in 2014- would be a 38 year span between first and last which I think is British best though haven't broken three every year - ie had a few too many niggles in 2013.

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Seren - that's very impressive. So you're saying there is a healthy alternative to hallucinogenic drugs? Why has nobody spoken of this before - is there some sort of catch I'm missing?image

Steve - wow, that is some record! Quite hard to fathom. That was a real bummer about 2013 but you have to be pleased you stayed in good condition for all the other years. Mind boggling stuff!

Quick question for you re. my schedule for Sunday. It's 3M inc hill session or circuit. What should the hill session or circuit look like? I haven't done anything with hills before, well nothing structured I mean. I don't live in East Norfolk so I have of course run up and down hills before.

• Ideally a circuit could be anything over 800m and have one or two ups in but a safe and reasonably gentle descent in if you are going to do a continuous effort and you work the ups and flat at slightly quicker than race pace and relax on descents and let hill take you.

alternatively if you can find a hill of a minute length or more - start with 4 short efforts (say half hill in 30 secs and jog back) and then six longer ones of minute plus at faster than 5k pace but controlled and jog/walk back down and then can finish with two shorter more dynamic ones.

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Thanks Steve. How steep should the hills be ideally? Are we talking gentle inclines or something fairly steep. I have quite a few around here of varying steepness.

That said I'll be in Wales when I do this session - may only have a choice between steep and very steep image

• Malcs - I have been running your marathon training schedule this week to give my training a bit more structure. Although still undecided to if I am actually going to run a marathon at the end of it, in the spring? However there is a marathon virtually on my doorstep at the end of March. The Only downside is it's 9 laps of Dover seafront and pier, so could get a little repetitive. I ran the 8 miles steady today, before I went to work and will take a rest day tomorrow, as the wife is at work tomorrow and I've got the kids all day!! Think training will probably be a bit of a struggle the next few weeks for me, what with Xmas and children school holidays and work.
  • Malc.....we do hills well in walesimage

• Santa Simon wrote (see)

Seren - So what's next on the bucket list, deca-ironman. I think that would send me round the bendimage.

no chance for the deca but some friends have found a flat part of the country so going for 5 ironman in 5 days in summer...will be interesting to see which day my body gives up on image

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Sean - excellent stuff, you know you have to run one, go sign the papers right now! image Although maybe give that Dover one a miss. 9 laps would be tough mentally. How about Brighton? Not sure if there are still places left but I've heard it's good.

I know what you mean about the schedule. I think I'll have to get my sessions done early doors so it doesn't interfere with other plans. 

Seren - what?!! Did I read that right? 5 ironman (men?) in 5 days? That is totally bonkers surely?

Yes, you certainly do do hills well, and rugby too - I'll be doing both while I'm down (watching rugby, not playing!) 

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

TODAY'S SESSION

Week1 - Saturday

Long Slow Run 

8M easy at 9mm pace in 72 mins.

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

SESSION REPORT - Wk1 Sat (run 5)

The weather was pretty damn miserable today but even that couldn't dampen my enthusiasm ahead of the first long run of the campaign. Ok, so 8 miles isn't that long but I love long slow runs of any length.

It went really well. I found the second half easier than the first. I think that's a good sign? My pace varied a bit but then so did the terrain. Splits were:

9:01, 9:10, 9:05, 9:13, 8:58, 8:40, 8:56, 8:53

I met a guy I know from school who also runs. This is the 3rd time I've seen him when I've been out running and each time it has been at exactly the same spot (and no, that spot isn't outside his front door). Very strange!

Question for the group, is there any generally accepted way of warning someone walking ahead of you that you are approaching? Several times now I've managed to scare the living daylights out of some poor old dear as I've run past (this is on a quiet footpath not the high street). 

I've tried sniffing and coughing but most times they don't seem to hear. And when I pass they totally cack themselves, literally jumping in the air with fright. I'm now really worried that one day I may actually kill someone.  

Today, having used up my supply of phlegm with no response from the potential victim I was seriously contemplating taking a detour. Maybe I should get a bell or a horn? Any suggestions would be most welcome.

• Seren - Wow 5 ironman in 5days, your a gluten for punishment, and an endurance machine. Will that be quite literately 1 a day for 5 days, or will you do all the swimming first, then all the bike and finally the 5 maras?

Malcs - Similar to cycling, I normally shout 'passing on the left'. But sometimes all they hear is the left bit, and move to the left, which can be hairyimage.

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    I have that trouble as well Malcs. I usually go with this process

1."Excuse me" at normal speaking volume

2. " Excuse me" slightly louder

3. " EXCUSE ME" a lot louder.

It's then that they looked shocked and say "ooh, no need to shout!"

On a couple of occasions I've had to stop and explain myself to them, making the point that I did ask quietly and politely at least 2 times to get past.

Sometimes it quite fun to scare the hell our of some people especially when they are ignoring you.
  • I normally shout morning out as i approach......image

Simon.its the one a day for 5 days.so get up each morning and have a gentle swim to unwind.......or something like that

good splits malcom

• Blimey Steve, that's an impressive record of London marathons! Good that the training seems to be going well for 2014.

Malcs, I normally shout 'excuse me' like Millsy but they don't usually hear and it can sound a bit dramatic if you get really loud.

Well done on your session today. I had a bit of calf pain after doing a tempo run yesterday but leg felt fine this morning (I smothered it in Tiger balm over night!) so I did a timed mile with my running club in the park. Managed 6:08 which isn't a PB but just relieved not to have the leg pain. I really wanted to go sub 6 mins this year but will have to leave that until next year.
  • Malcs wrote (see)

Couldn't be more fitting Minni image

Dunno, it looks a bit big to me

/members/images/473351/Gallery/tshirt.PNG

• Sticky - I did VLM and ride london 100 this year and left the bike training mostly until after the marathon (though I ride about 90 miles per week year-round, to get to work).  That was fine for me.

What is this TR24?

Steve - that's an amazing record!

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Hahahaha!!!! Very good! 

• Sorry minni I had to borrow you some legs from my mate Dave.  Hope you do not mind