Beyond #asics262: life after Target 26.2 for sub-3:30 runner Malcolm

Comments

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

More to the point I hope Dave doesn't mind! 

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭
    seren nos wrote (see)

I normally shout morning out as i approach......image

This is the South East Seren - polite exchanges between complete strangers just do not happenimage 

Millsy - ha image  I like it. 

Slowkoala - many thanks! Good to hear the calf pain was only temporary. I know you wanted sub 6 but that's an impressive mile nonetheless.

Marrows - lol excellent image 

TR24 is short for Thunder Run All In 24, a through the night 24 hour race at the end of July in Catton Park. Teams of 1,2,3-5 & 6-8. Totally awesome - like Glastonbury for runners.

Minni - maybe we could get you one of those to run London in? 

• I don’t say anything when passing people. I was recently staying in Leeds, working, and decided to do tempo intervals around Hyde Park in the dark.  I went past a group of 3 student girls and they didn’t half scream.  I apologised, but was surprised they didn’t hear me wheezing along.

Seren - I'm tempted to have a go at a middle distance tri at the end of this summer, but long course just seems ridiculously, well, long.  Never mind multi irons - crazy.

Our club does two hill sessions on a monthly basis.  One is as Steve describes with 6-8 reps up a moderately steep ~400m section of road, which is done at about 5k effort with jog back recoveries.  The other, which we did this morning, is on grass with steep and undulating slopes.  Initial 4 easy 100m hills as warm up, then one set of 6 * 30m very steep sprints, then 4 sets of 4*100m sprints up an undulating slope with a quick jog back between reps and 3min rest between sets.  The reps are done flat out 100% effort and I definitely started to the slow on the last set.  Very hard but very satisfying.  Hopefully it won’t impact my LSR tomorrow – only 12 miles so should be ok.

• Great run Malcs - controlled and steady and encouraging pace.

re cycling I did the Ride London 100 last year and enjoyed it more than marathon and came a lot higher - probably did more cycling than would normally in summer as had running niggles. Haven't done much on bike last few weeks as got put off by car ploughing into my bike on crossing as he went through red light by about 5 seconds. Bike a write off but was lucky as only had badly bruised elbow.

re hills, I think you have to be careful so it's not too steep and you don't do too much flat out running. I did first hill session for a while Thursday and thought i was holding back a bit but hip flexor really sore next day and it affected me slightly in cross-country race today.

While it's good to get some speed into legs, the bigger picture is to prepare for the marathon and I don't think it's worth the risk of injury and controlled speed is better than flat out speed unless you are preparing to run a 800m race!   

• Good start to the campaign Malcs, so three miles tomorrow and the first week is done!

I did ten today, hard work after a week of heavy lunches. My own plan starts next week, so it will be run on Monday & tuesday, rest on Wednesday, run and marshalling our race on Boxing Day, rest friday and a long run on Saturday. Sunday we are going to Glasgow for the day so no running there.

• Very interesting feedback Steve.  I'll keep that in mind.

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    I think Steve's last paragraph makes a lot of sense.

I have suffered a lot less injuries over the last couple of campaigns by looking at the bigger picture. No point risking it all to go all out on one session if its going to jeopardise the next few weeks of training.
  • Thanks marrows and Steve for the view on training for both cycling and running at the same time, always useful to have personal accounts and experiences about these things!

Thanks Steve for the explanation of malcs MP run on thursday, I get it now, the MP bit is the important bit!

Can't wait to do more hills, been a bit limited due to lacking daylight, the hill I use is in a very dodgy area...Now that winter solstice is here, hopefully that will soon not be a problem! image

• Sticky. You could always used a disabled ramp and run up it 100+ times for your hill trainingimageimage

• Ha ha Angela! What are you trying to say! image Might have to change my name to StickyLoop-a-loop! image Haven't got a ramp, wonder if running up stairs very fast would do??

• Like the new name!! Haha... I don't think stairs are a good alternative- from my understanding of Steve's advice, you do want a slope that's not too steep.  Maybe if u get a long plank and prop it up on the first stairimage

• Just heading out to end my first week of training, was going to head early today but Xmas party night last night I have not yet given up the booze to aid training !!

Also still drying out after yesterdays parkrun in torrential rain.

Mr Puffy is that the Ayr Seaforth Turkey Trot you are marshalling on Boxing Day?

• Sticky - Go down your local multi-storey car park when it's quite, and use the ramps for your hill workimage!

Coach Steve - That must of been v. scary, and you were so lucky. I'm currently recovering from reconstruction of collarbone and ligaments due bike accident. Scally kids tied rope across a path at head height, caught me across the face, and bust shoulder when I hit the deck. Bike was ok thouimage

• at least driver admitted his mistake and he paid for a new bike. 

I ran a sluggish 16 today and felt previous days xc race

• Dd it isn't I'm afraid, about 250 miles south of there!

• That was a nice and controlled run yesterday Malcs. Excellent

Some scary bike tales on here. Simon is playing his one down ... poor guy was wrapped in plaster for weeks and weeks!

15 miles of hills for me. Question for those in the know: is 15 miles on a hilly route every 3 weeks ok or does it have to be more miles/more often? I'm running Boston in April which is supposed to be hilly. not sure me knees and quads could take much more of this :-/
  • Did my 8-miles today as my running partner was burgled on Friday night and the weather was 'somewhat unpleasant' yesterday, so I just did the 3 easy last night. Helped my hubbie fit her a burglar alarm this morning and then ran home across the fields and disused railway line. It was still very muddy and windy, so I took it carefully and slow, but the sun was shining and I enjoyed it. Week 1 done image

Rudy: I read that people focus on the uphill, but should be practising the downhill for Boston! It is much more undulating right from the start than I was expecting, so it was quite hard to pace. The infamous hills are not in themselves particularly steep, but coming late in the race is not when you want an uphill when you have been doing lots of downs. I intended running up and down a nice hill near me a couple of times at the end of every long run, but then had to work in Abu Dhabi and couldn't face a treadmill..

• Nice running Malcs. Nailing the schedule like an old pro at the moment. image

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Sorry - a bit late posting as we were packing and then travelling most of the day.

TODAY'S SESSION

Week1 - Sunday

Hill Session

3M including hills or circuit 

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Will be back shortly with a report etc. but I am being summoned to the card table image

• jenfjenf ✭✭✭

welcome to Wales again Malcs! At least you are not on holiday with Roger n Isabel !

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    Well done on posting on holiday, you are performing better than some of your counterparts.

I also got summonsed to the card/ wrapping table earlier. Just what I needed after a 3 hr run. Now taking it easier for a couple of weeks due to Xmas commitments. Will run when I can but without any real structure. Will be in Cornwall for a week so it will mainly be hill work.
  • Mr Puffy enjoy Glasgow its a great city and it is starting to get commonwealth games fever now with a lot of the venues near or completed already . which race are you helping at?

Slow 10k this pm ends week one here's to Christmas's week training !

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

SESSION REPORT - Wk1 Sun (run 6)

We were travelling to the land of Wales today. I don't know if we're unique but going away anywhere is always a stressful experience. It starts with the setting of a totally unrealistic departure time. We then have the packing, a challenge in itself without all the extra Christmas baggage. It also didn't go unnoticed that my kit bag was considerably bigger than normal too!

Anyway, we eventually got out the door, after two or three returns for forgotten items and to unplug the iron and switch off the deep fat fryerimage

Traffic was not great and we had to stop for lunch too so by the time we arrived it was getting dark. A quick hello to the inlaws and I was out the door.

I found a decent hill nearby (I was spoilt for choice, they are flipping everywhere). I started with a mile jog to warm up. After that I did as Steve suggested - 4 x 30 secs and jog back then 6 x 1 min and jog back finishing with 2 x 30 secs again and a jog home to warm down. 

During the session I was treated to some of Wales' other famous delights - wind and rain! However, it didn't spoil it. My hands were cold but the rest of me was boiling and I only had shorts and a tee on (still overdressed compared to most hardened Welsh runners.)

These sort of intervals are hard work even without the hills but I really enjoyed it. I felt pretty good throughout. The end of each of the minute intervals was hard but then I guess it should be. In the dark it was quite hard to check my Garmin regularly but when I did I was hitting close to 6mm pace at points which I was quite amazed at. 

Run stats: 4.5 miles in 37 mins. 1 mile warm up then 6 x 30 sec bursts pace 6:25-6:45, 6 x 1 min bursts pace 6:01-6:22. 5.5 min jog warm down.

There ends week 1. Seems to have gone suspiciously well. First time I've done a 6 day week so very pleased to have got through it without any major issues. 

Week 2 starts tomorrow with a rest day image

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Steve - thanks again for the advice for the hill session. I tried to keep the speed controlled today.

Can't believe you got knocked down, that's terrible!

How did the xc race go? 

lou - ha image I often wonder why people don't hear my puffing and panting as I approach too. Take it as a compliment that your bodily noises are not as loud as you think they are.

Hope your LSR went well today.

Mr P. - many thanks. Yes week 1 down which feels great. Hope you have a great time in Glasgow, have you been before? 

Sticky - I feel so lucky to be able to run in the daylight most of the time. I think people who run on these cold winter evenings deserve medals!

Angela - keep the hot tips comingimage

Simon - bloody hell, that's criminal what happened to you with the bike. Don't suppose there was any chance of catching who did that? That could easily kill someone. Really hope the recovery goes well. 

Ha ha image Love the idea of using a multi storey for hill training!

chickadee - many thanks and well done on your 15. That's very impressive doing that sort of distance up and down hills. I'm not qualified to answer your question but I'm sure Steve or some of the others will know.

ArrowsLou - well done on your 8 miles. Sorry to hear about your neighbour, that's really awful. 

SupermanRuns - many thanks but less of the 'old' pleaseimage How are you getting on? Training going well I hope!

Millsy - it was actually to play cards with the kids, I'm left out of the card writing as I am mostly useless but the wrapping is all still to come.

We played Newmarket - got totally trounced by my 11 year old. Luckily we were only playing for matches. I say 'lucky' but he now has enough firepower to take out a small village. Hmm.

Have a great time in Cornwall.

Dd1969 - well done and amen to that! Best of luck for week 2!

Jen - ha image Many thanks! It's good to be back. I will see you at the parkrun on Saturday! Really looking forward to it especially after how today went.

Hope your 10 went well today, I think it was 12 & 10 for you this weekend wasn't it?

• Where are you Malcs, I think you've said but I can't remgmber ?

They tried to organise a race in Liverpool in the Liverpool One multi storey car park, but it didn't happen.

Yes I've been to Glasgow a few times, mrs p did the glasgow half one year, her aunt lives in Burnside. This is a surprise visit, she has assumed we are going to watch Chelsea v Liverpool, so it could go either way!

• Malcs - Some nice fast intervals on the hills, enjoy your rest day tomorrow on your bike. The police were really helpful, but no, didn't find the scallys who did it. That was 3.5 mnths ago, so well on the road to recovery now. No cycling/driving yet, but at least I can run. 14m on the TM for me with 6m at MP this evening.

• Another good session malcs and a great first week and deserved rest tomorrow

xc race went ok thanks -  was first in my age group but they only awarded medals to first in 10 year age group and was 2nd M50 and quite pleased to beat overtake the third M50 past halfway, who was in my training group 40 years ago and went on to be much better runner than i ever was.

Chickadee - have done Boston twice and its quite tough and good idea to do some hilly runs but a few slower, longer ones on the flat won't do you any harm and 15 miles isn't enough to prepare for a marathon. Suggest a few 18-20s but they don't have to be on hills. Nb though Boston has hills, the fastest ever marathon was run there when the wind was behind.and it's case of getting up the hills leading up to 20 with something in hand.

• Malcs - well done on completing week 1. Only 15 more to goimage

I also struggle with how to warn people I'm about to pass them. If they have a dog, the dog usually hears me first and so the owner generally will see me in good time. Yesterday I had to pass a horse and rider on a very narrow bit of road.  I decided to slow to a walk to pass, said hello and we were on our way. I am very wary about spooking horses, even more than old ladies!

I managed 15 yesterday - had planned on a few more but am feeling like I have the onset of a cold (OH has it and I think unselfishly has decided to share)....my legs were feeling heavy after only 10, so decided to take a short cut home.  I don't feel too bad today, after getting on the First Defence yesterday, so will go for a few mies recovery before the wind picks up.  Then rest tomorrow, which will hopefully see me right for the parkrun on Christmas morning image

• Wow, Steve, must be an amazing feeling to beat someone who's thought to be a better runner! Congrats! image

Malcs, where in Wales are you? Very jealous of all the hills you've got there! I was on holidays at the Isle of Wight this year, it was a most enjoyable holidays as there were hills everywhere!

Simon, thanks for the suggestion, what a great idea! I'll make sure I run against the traffic up the ramps image!