Beyond #asics262: life after Target 26.2 for sub-3:30 runner Malcolm

Comments

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    Wow Tigger that's brilliant! Well done!
  • Well done Tigger. Wish you all the best for it. You had better feature in the video again, don't think they did one last year as they couldn't find anyone to top your enthusiasm and RRR's pink socks.....
  • Ok so sometimes I just don't get running. I haven't run since last Saturday's parkrun. I've done less at the gym, had hardly any sleep all week and had a cold. Woke up feeling tired but still managed to get out and do the parkrun. And finished with a time of 19:37 which is my best since October. Maybe I just went into it with low expectations so just ran it relaxed but who knows! The mystery of running, eh?
  • Well done Stan, there lies the magic of running, completely unpredictable!

A laboured 21.32 today getting overtaken by your students. A very crowded and frustrating start, a girl stopping dead in her  tracks and running BACKWARDS to pick up her dropped phone, directly in front of me. I may have taught Kaia her first swear word. Said girl wandered off into 'Wonderland of music', running all over the path in front of me for the first two km. I may have dusted her on the first hill in a hissy fit.

I might be turning into a grumpy old man. Of course I am far too young for that. If it wasn't for the good craic with the runners after the run, I would consider a quieter more buggy friendly parkrun.

• Thanks all for your lovely thoughts about auntie & work.

The funeral was a bit of a family implosion with some atrocious behaviour so I ended up making a short unscripted speech, just like she would have done!

There have been further rumours & disclosures at work, the latest is that I am so fab I may be retained in the role, but in favour of close colleagues. I'm not going to speculate until I hear the facts.

Saw my GP upon my return, and my anomlous red cell size has come down a little, am having more tests on Monday for B12 and folate deficiency. He is certain there's nothing seriously amiss but tells me they will remove the whole lymph node cluster at the London on 15 December, no needle biopsy.

Managed ParkRun in 24:41 today easily enough, still have such limited lung capacity that's actually not bad.

I hear you all on 10Ks - I'm more of a fan of forever pace than 5K pace, but at least that's shorter lived, and for some reason my 10K times have been less than double my ParkRun efforts, so the 10K is a bit horrible.

Stan what a bonus going out not expecting anything!

I have a new phone my brother set up for me with contacts all transferred in & all don't laugh, but reading through jabout bootcamp just now created panic when I realised I'd had a couple of missed calls these past days from unknown numbers.

So the first one was an insurance accident claim thingy, and the other a mobile - have left them a message.

There is also er a Voicemail but can't work out how to hear it....this calls for the experts, I'll let you know but it's not looking promising!
  • PS Voicemail was a colleague!
  • Thankyou for supporting me in my quest for a sub 20 min parkrun last week image

your parkrun at Wakefield sounded fun Hans....maybe that's a course I can try in the near future. 

Congratulations tigger....remember if you need someone to come with you and support you im free!

well done Stan. I always find that you do better when you least expect it. For myself I think it's because I don't waist nervous energy and I don't go off to fast. 

Come to york parkrun hans.

hope the removal of the nodes goee ok RR please let us know how you get on. Sorry to hear that one of your messages wasnt RW.

i didn't hear anything either but my application involved me trying to convince them that they needed a sub 3:15 category!

• I did clowne half marathon today. Had a funny calf so I wasnt going to run, but there was a physio opposite the start with his door open so I asked his advice. Apparently my calf was ok, just alittle over used. Not sprained. He taped it up and said I would be fine to run. Therefore I had a plod round and finished my slowest ever half in just under 1:53. The hills were much more pleasant at this pace!

calf was fine and actually feels better than this time yesterday...so the physio was right. 

• Nice one Sarah!

Funny about your application - I could never get 3:30 in a million years, but have gone sub 4 x 4 times, so mine was a bit like that too, less explicitly however!
  • MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Stan - wow, great parkrun! 

Hans - you need need to get the buggy horn and cattle prod accessories. I believe they are available at most branches of Mothercare.

reikirabbit - sorry to hear you didn't make bootcamp image

The funeral sounded....well...interesting. Atrocious behaviour? Oh dear. Glad you got through it ok.

Good to hear that the doc doesn't think you have anything serious. Must be a big relief.

Sarah - well done on getting through the half. Look after that leg of yours though! 

Sorry you didn't make it either. To be honest, I think you were a bit stuffed from the start. You've already gone sub 3:30 so that instantly rules you out of that category. So you'd need to have entered for sub 3. 

Next year you'll definitely be in line to go for the sub 3 category!

My foot problem isn't going away. Have I reached the end of my golden spell of injury free bliss I wonder? 

I can still run on it and in fact while running it feels fine for the first 3-4 miles before starting to moan. Afterwards is when it hurts more. Still think it's tight shin muscles so going to go to work on them this week.

• Thanks guys!! Sorry for those that didn't get in! 

Stan yes was rather a 'Tigger's day out' video although didn't really help me much! Well Done you with your parkrunning!! 

Sarah So glad Clowne went well was worried about you and the weather wasn't the best here!

Hope the foot is better soon Malcs x

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Cheers! Hoping to get out for a little jogette today. 

Only a few days to go for you now. Bet you can't wait!

• Malcs how did the jogette go?

My knee is at the level you describe, not to be ignored, and indeed it's the anterior tib that seems to be tight and tender.

Are you bathing the foot in epsom salts or anything? Always helps I find.
  • MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

reikirabbit - that pesky anterior tib! 

At least you're pretty good with getting treatment, self administered or otherwise. I'm improving on that front in that I'll now do more stretching and rolling but bathing in epsom salts is a foreign activity to me image

Jogette went well thanks. 3 miles in about 25 mins so a decent pace and no pain, just the feeling that there might be at some point - sure you all know what I mean image

I deliberately stopped at that point and it felt fine. However as it cooled a bit of discomfort crept in. I reckon that says quite clearly that this is just muscle tightness. The problem now is easing that tightness out. If I can't manage it by next week by using my various torture devices then I'll be making an appointment with the physio to exchange hard cash for a severe beating image

May try a secondary jogette today to see what happens.

What's your plan for the knee?

• Malcs .. you are an inspiration!

I've never posted on the forum before but having got a ticket to this years #asics262 bootcamp I decided to check out last years finalists. To be honest I didn't read all 3902 posts!! What a lovely and interesting thread this is though..

I'd dearly love to go sub 4 so not quite in your league but running on that dodgy calf was impressive. Well done you!

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Thanks chris! I don't know about being an inspiration though image

Well done on making bootcamp!

You say not quite in my league - what you really mean is not quite in my league yet!image  2 years ago I was struggling to get off the 4 hour mark. With the right training you'll be amazed what is possible. 

How many marathons have you done and how did you get on?

• Hello all!  

Hows it all going? Sorry I keep on vanishing in and out of here... What can I say, building a business from scratch is really exciting, but does take me away from the forum... my old desk job used to leave me hours available to be on RW forum!! image

I've had a month of parkrunning, and raced each one, 3rd lady at harlow on the 8th, 2nd lady at Dulwich on the 15th and 1st lady at Colchester last weekend.  I was hoping to visit another one this weekend, but I think I'll stick to Colchester as a lot of my clients are planning to run there this weekend.  I wont be racing it again though, too much in a short space of time, especially as 5k isn't what I'm focussed on!.  I will try and catch up with y'all now xx

• Malcs, thanks for de-lousing the kids next time... I’m planning on visiting again just before Christmas, and will probably do Brockwell... the 20th, you keen?

Hans C, Its fun doing a bit of parkrun tourism isn’t it?  Now there are more in the east, its actually a possibility without paying a silly amount of money in accommodation to do a free run...

Stan, I think parkrun is a strange beast... I managed to do 21:01 in Colchester last sat, which matches my pb there, set in July.  This was after staying up past 1:30am watching Greys anatomy and drinking wine, and then oversleeping so I woke up at 8:20 to get to parkrun, I need to leave home no later than 8:40 to get there for the start, and just made it!  Well done on your awesome time!!  Sometimes the rest in your legs has more benefit than the detriment of being tired/under the weather.

RR,  Glad that the Dr doesn’t think its anything serious... hope it all gets sorted soon x

Sarah,  Well done in your parkrun even if you didn’t get the official time of sub 20!  I can’t believe I exactly matched my pb from July!!  What a difference between us if your slowest ever half was 1:53!!!  Mine was 2:24.. but that involved drinking wine at Bacchus!!   My first half marathon was in 2008 – Royal parks, I did it in 2:15 and swore I would never enter a race that far ever again!

Tigger, I’m sure your 2nd visit to bootcamp tomorrow means you’re a shoe in to win the competition!! Sub 4 here you come!!!

Chris, Welcome, and good luck at bootcamp tomorrow.  Definitely stay on these forums, and like Malcs says. YET, is a crucial word.  When I first joined these forums my marathon pb was 4:33.... now its 3:39 and I’m going for sub 3:30 in London

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Not sure about the 20th Angela but we'll see! 

Good to hear the business is going well. 

• Tigger, best wishes for boot camp, I'm jealous! i was probably too honest in my application..... Wanting to combine marathon training with ultra traing was always going to be a difficult sell! 

• oo is it bootcamp again today!?  I thought about entering again this year but didnt get round to it in the end....

Cant believe that was a year ago and everyones still on here!

Good luck to all bootcampers, i loved my day out last year was great! image

• Hope you all enjoyed Bootcamp - I saw the 4 hor group on Twitter, jealous not! Hi Chris I think I might see you this morning [club 3.5 champs?]

Well what a week. Had a storming 800m x 6 track session on Tuesday, returned home to numerous texts & voicemails confirming a complete and indefinite reprieve work wise, so I get to carry on until next time.

Had a run on the Greenway [& was allowed to sneak across a closed bit at Olympic Park] on Thursday, however knee was not loving this.

Yesterday was strength work with deadlifts and squats, plus some kind of mental heavily resisted abduction of left hip, and during this my GP left me a message saying the latest results show no vitamin deficiencies or blood cancers, so all now awaits the lymoh node biopsy on 15th.

The plan for the knee is to carry on with Tui Na, and MAT. Apparently everything is doing what it should, so the pain is a mystery, however there is considerable weakness in left hip & glutes.

I'm going to have a bath before I go out to the race this morning, and Malcs I use heat in the form of hot water bottles, wraps, Chinese plasters and lotions [Wood Lock is ace] on anything that isn't a cut or bruise, i.e where no bleeding is involved, heat gets blood moving.

Angela are you building a coaching business?
  • Hi Reiki,

I like that you're doing DLs and Squats- heavy strength work has made me a much more sturdy runner image  Glad that the blood results were clear.

Yes, i'm a personal trainer and see people locally, but the next phase is to build the running coaching into online run coaching, so I can help more people than just those who live in Colchester.

• Glad to hear things seem to be on the up for you Reiki. Must be a relief with the blood test results. Hope the biopsy results are clear too.

Have actually had a week getting near to 20 miles. Which is the first time I've done that in ages. Parkrun this morning went ok. Was hoping for a PB. However when I turned up I heard the words alternate course. So I am blaming my time on that however it 2 seconds faster than last week. Think I may have put too much pressure on myself as it felt a lot easier last week.

Angela how much are you going to charge for your coaching? Want some help to get under 3 hours. You'll have your work cut out!

Malcs are you an Asics262 institution now? Will you be at Bootcamp until the year they finish the competition? Did you get to have a goody bag too? Though you'll probably have enough of those Asics blue water bottles by now....
  • Hello everyone, against all the odds I have a club place for London so the first thing I thought of was to ask Malcs about core and conditioning, anysuggestions Malcs?

Last time I tried following a youtube video and practically ruptured myself image

welll done on those times Angela, I am going to target getting into top ten in our parkrun, I think it may be possible next year.

Good luck with the biopsy Reiki.

• Hi stan, prob best we have a chat via email as there are a few different packages- if you PM me your email address I can send you the Info.  You're doing Manchester marathon, right?  a great race to go for the sub 3 image. Weather conditions were the best for marathon runniNg last year- about 12 degrees and a little drizzly.

wow Mr. P you are a lucky man, gettIng a London club place again!!  Which parkrun do you do? And what position are you coming at the moment?  Colchester was exceptionally fast with First Lady coming in 19:07 but I was pacing someone from my running social group who just wasn't fit enough for the time she wanted- very frustrating!  

• I am in the fiftie at the moment, but if I get near 3:30 I will be prolly in sub 21 shape which on a lucky day will get me in top ten.  Now I write it looks a bit improbable though, I will have to go back and look over the resultsimage

• Evening!

Thanks for the good wishes, Bootcamp was amazing!! Great to catch up with Malcs, RRR and Ady too xx

• Angela this sounds great - I was in receipt of coaching just like this once, 3 years ago, although we were able to meet too, at workshops and suchlike.

Thanks so much for the support everyone.

I did OK in the [2nd claim] club 3.5 mile champs yesterday, despite many dogs on the course. Treated it liek a park run and, with a long sprint at the end to hold off a girl I overtook too soon, came in at 27:26.

So will try for sub 40 at Perivale 5 next Sunday.

Did an early 6 around the Olympic Park this morning before Junior PR, and was amazed to discover a new way in really near my house, only to be apprehended by a French secuirity chap asking me if I worked there because I was on a costruction site.

Told him I had followed pedestrian signs and he said 'yes but those are for the workers'.

So there you go.
  • Hi Reikki, great to hear work getting sorted..and you had a good running week!

Mr Puffy - yay, a club place! yes, fully recommend lots of core work. Not just weights, I'd look at something like pilates or yoga as well. and lots of core body work. I have a little routine I do at home (although not nearly enough, need to increase frequency!)

Tigger - when do you hear back if you 'won'?

Angela - I can always give you a testimonial for your online coaching image