Beyond #asics262: life after Target 26.2 for sub-3:30 runner Malcolm

Comments

• She was eliminated from strictly...arguably the best dancer so far but perhaps people didn't vote because they assumed she was in the clear.

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

I don't think anyone will be making assumptions in this competition. It's going to be an incredibly tight in all the categories. This is much bigger than Strictly anywayimage

Remember you are allowed to vote daily!

Karen - despite the nerves and the tension and having to battle with people that you like and respect, I hope that you've enjoyed the process. Whatever the outcome please do stick around!

Hoping for more improvement in the foot when I step out today. Not sure I'll feel anything though due to the cold - it's nobbling outside!

• You're allowed to vote daily?  oh, didn't know. (goes to vote again).

My 18week plan officially started today, so 7m with 2 at LT managed on a very nippy morning. Not quite to plan, but close enough. image Happy how it's starting.

• Happy training everyone. It was fresh outside earlier!! Isn't it funny how we are all happy when our spring marathon plans start.
  • Hi Malcs. Being competitive I always relish a battle. I do usually like to play nicely though, except on the rare occasion i.e. when I am suffering from PMT image XX

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

lol - we'll let you off for that one Karen image

SupermanRuns - absolutely!

Rachel - great start! 

I managed a little 5 mile progression, 7:50, 7:30, 7:15, 6:55 then 8 to finish. Foot felt a bit tight to start but was fine after so pretty pleased with that.

Must....not....push....too....hard....this....week image

• oops,, hadn't realised i could vote daily, extra votes now done for Tigger & SMR... will remember to get one more in before tomorrows deadline!

• That wouldn't have been my first guess at what a Pixie Lott situation was, didn't know we could vote daily either, got one more each in.

Hurrah for the foot Malcs.

I did a pyramid session yesterday that I had to bring forward from Friday due to one of my teeth having an overuse injury and requiring immediate interventions. Strangely there was nothing amiss until the check-up reminder card arrived.

So after Perivale 5 on Sunday [40:16], my 20 week VMLM assuming build-up also started on Monday, with a 3 mile recovery run, very nice.

Things have gone mental at work, I set up 6 events yesterday ; concept, insurance, staff, ho ho ho.
  • Certainly looking very tense. Really hoping that Tigger and Superman progress through... Have been casting my votes. Just gutted I haven't been in the computer room to make the school kids do it too...

Seems I haven't posted on here for ages but have been out running. Foot all fine now so looking forward to Manchester training 18 and a half weeks to go....

Have entered a few races too

28th December - Clitheroe 10k (the line up for this looks very fast - 3 years ago a Brownlee turned up)

22nd Feb - North-west half

22nd March - Wilmslow half

19th April - Manchester marathon

4th July - Greater Manchester Swim (sneaking a swim in like Angela)

Glad to hear your foot is better Malcs. Chickadee hope you get good news next month and I echo everyone else's comments on your positive approach.

Did I see Jenf post a while back? Has she also joined Twitter?
  • MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

reikirabbit - cheers!

Ooh, does this mean that your job situation is looking better now if you're still setting up events?

Well done on Perivale and congrats on starting the 20 week build up - exciting! image

Stan - great to hear the foot is all sorted!

Mine is improving thanks - not quite there yet but I'm just so glad I can still run.

Mixed news from the competition. Tigger sadly didn't make it. However SupermanRuns did! 

So gutted for Tigger. She put so much work into her campaign. 

Yes, Jenf is on Twitter! Not sure for how long thoughimage

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    So pleased to see Superman get through. I'm sure his thread will be very entertaining. image
  • What is it about the 3.30 category? It always gets a good character to follow! Well done superman. Gutted for you Tigger but hey you've got a little bit further in the competition. Next year yeah? Looking forward to following the sub-3 guy, Thomas. He has a lot to take off his marathon time
  • MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

SupermanRuns will be awesome! 

Stan - both Tim and Thomas have big chunks to knock off their marathon PBs but their short speeds definitely indicate that they can do it.

I think there are loads of people in this kind of position so it's a great opportunity for RW to show how you get over that hurdle.

Nobody can argue that they've picked the easy options this year which is another bonus. I'll be following both of them with great interest.

• Malcs - not sure I agree, the sub 4 winner should smash her PB, her half mara time is the same as mine.

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Ruffles - sorry, should have been clearer - I was only talking about Thomas and Tim image

• I just looked at Thomas, you're right that's a HUGE target, good for him.  I think Tim will be aces, his shorter times suggest so.

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Both can do it. Tim definitely can - he knows he can. He just needs to sort out that last 6 miles. 

Thomas has a great half marathon so the speed is there. It's a huge jump though from near to 3:30 to sub 3 at marathon distance. The difference between running at 3:30 pace and 3:15 pace is big enough. But Steve will get him there I'm sure. Going to be really interesting to follow.

• Ruffles I think Amy has the chances of getting sub 3-30....

And Malcs you are right, 2hrs 37 for 20 miles says I will get there, time to address the last 6 miles. I have been promised the Shoulder Chimp book Holly Rush discussed at Bootcamp for xmas about mentally being stronger. 

• Superman - you might have to trip her over at the end if she looks set to beat you...image

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

I asked RW to change the thread name so that it doesn't clash with the new ones that are about to start. 

It's Tim's turn now and I don't think it would be right to have both our sub 3:30 threads bobbing around next to each other causing confusion.

We can still keep this thread going but I wonder whether it might be better to draw it to a close and all jump on Tim's thread instead?

What do you all think?

• But we'd be in withdrawal before tim's is set up... don't know if I could handle that!!!image

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Ha image 

I would imagine Tim's thread would be set up pretty soon. We were told to start our own last year and that was the day after the announcement. Definitely before store day. I'm sure we won't have to wait long.

• image looks like everyone else has migrated anyway... perhaps I can use this thread as an archive for elephant pictures. . . 

https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpa1/v/t1.0-9/10849900_10101000629677269_2737108393055828281_n.jpg?oh=29c8ab16fc440be3d1117dd67a3bd4cc&oe=5542C2BD&__gda__=1427141291_b375aa51b64b3de41d32caaed640096d

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    Loving the new title Malcs! image
  • MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Thanks! image I didn't pick it though.

I wanted to go with something understated like "Beyond 3:30 - one man’s quest to show that even an ageing bald guy with a fat arm can run reasonably quickly for a decent amount of time without dying”image

I think their suggestion is better.

Angela - elephantastic! 

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    I forgot about your fat arm!
  • MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

I've tried to forget but it's just there, hanging at my side as a daily reminder. The doctors say there's nothing more they can do image

• I bloody hope the fat arm is not something that gets handed down to the next generation of winners!!! imageimage

No news on thread yet from RW towers. Had a few emails but nothing on that. Neither have we been asked to not post. But if I recall Malcs there was an extra few days between comp closure and Store Day?? 

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Just don't go near that body composition machine - you may find out things that will haunt you for the rest of your life! image

I think comp closed on the Tuesday for us but threads went up on the Wednesday. Store day was then Saturday.