Beyond #asics262: life after Target 26.2 for sub-3:30 runner Malcolm

Comments

• My mum has just written me a note excusing me from the body composition machine! image

• Malcs and SupermanRuns avoid fat bits with compression gear. I have been accused of a fat ego once or twice. Not sure if compression gear would sort that though.

I could be Malcs stunt double for the slow motion shots in a marathon documentary. Bald: tick. Ageing: disgracefully. Fat arm: prosthesis.

Sorted!

• SupermanRuns wrote (see)

My mum has just written me a note excusing me from the body composition machine! image

imageimage

• How do you get a fat arm anyway?

love the title, rolls off the tongue...not!

"Tempo" run tonight, what a mess! went to bed late after running club christmas dinner plus a hectic day at work. I put my foot down for the last third of a mile to make it 7:57mm average over the run but it was bloody hard work.

who is your coach Tim? 

• Steve has been announced as the coach of sub 3 and 3-30. I believe thats the same as last year.  

• Oh yes we all gave him some good tips last year as I recall.  Joking apart it was fantastic how he took the time to engage with everyone, not just his competition duties as it were.

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Hang on, hang on! I wanna see a copy of that note super skiver! And I want a copy of your own handwriting to compare it to as wellimage

Steve is a legend, he'll get you to sub 3:30 for sure!

Hans - lol, I like your pitch, you're hired! image

Mr P - I believe a fat arm is acquired by years of neglect and under-excercise. That's what they told me anyway. There were a few sniggers.

So what are the views on migrating to super land when it arrives? Or would you prefer to have two homes? That's fine but no expense claims pleaseimage (little bit of politics)

• A bit of a soggy morning but I managed to roll out of bed and get in 7miles easy on the way to work.  And it's free breakfast morning, so the bacon and sausage has gone down a treat!

Congrats Tim (do we just call you tim now?) ..and commiserations Tigger. Next time!

• Rachelcgen You can call me what you want....image

Finally Sam Murphy is my coach. I know I announced it as Steve but its been changed. In fighting over me was appreciated. image

And unlikely!!! 

• Congratulations SupermanRuns, commiserations Tigger!

Sam is fab, and very skilled in interpreting the individual.

Looking forward to the new threads, however have grown attached to this one, unless you'd rather fade Malcs? I refer your revised title though!

Yes work is back on until next time, anything could happen. People are very stressed, I'm not as bad as I have more serious matters to concern myself with, like whether I get a VMLM place, whether to do York again or try Berlin, etc.

After a cracking track pyramid on Tuesday & Speedfllex Wednesday, I had a strange out & back session on Thursday [one of Sam's Threshold specials, very fun down to Wapping via Limehouse Basin, butI only got back 7 seconds quicker, and most of that was a sudden gust of wind that dropped me 50 metres down the road right at the end.

Yesterday I had a mad adductor session, Tui Na also, but my foot, yes foot, hurts again! What's all this foot transference thing?

I had an email yesterday [bit late] reminidng me that I *won* an Adidas 26ers bootcamp at London Marathon Store from 10:00 today, It's not realy a bootcamp - a 3K run, & will miss Park Run, but decided to go along as Liz Yelling, Steve Way, and Scott Overall will be there.

Could be fun.

I discovered you can register for SPOTY & vote online [for Jo Pavey obviously] : http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/sports-personality/30172271

Might also find myself voting via every mobile & landline I can get to.

Have a fab Saturday all.
  • Reiki, the hip to foot transference thing, I know that, that's my usual. Issue is all in how the hip is badly put together, first symptoms are always the side of the foot. 

• Rachel after that threshold session this morning where I may have slightly exceeded my usual pace as you do when literally running alongside Liz Yelling and Steve Way my achilles hurts a bit too.

I may have to steep my feet for a bt shortly.

Really glad I went though, what a blast, and they had actual salmon after the run as well as loads of fruit nit just but including the usual junk. Awesome all round, Steve and Scott are lovely I need them to pace me.
  • Malcs, permission granted for Greenock Parkrun! I'll see you there. It sounds like a nice one as well.
  • Morning, ten easy miles yesterday, I am really trying not to use gels or sports drinks this year and see how it goes.  I felt a bit sick after last week's run, so I left off the chocolate milk and had a cup of tea and some bread with peanut butter and felt fine. 

• Morning, parkrun cancelled yesterday due to heinous amounts of black ice. I was devastated and resorted to a bacon and egg roll in the cafe to cheer myself up.

To work off said bacon guilt I did 11 miles today at 8m/m average. Few big hills in there too. 1h30 no water and no gels.

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

SupermanRuns - Sam is awesome, she totally nailed it with Ady. Can't wait for you to get started!

Reikirabbit - that's great news on the work front. And wow, that bootcamp sounded fantastic! I'm mega jealous!

Re. the thread, maybe we wait and see how things unfold.

Gingermagic - fantastic! And I thought my days of a 'magic' Christmas were long goneimage

It's a lovely setting along the esplanade with amazing views across the Clyde estuary that you can distract yourself with as you're trying not to vom. Mostly dead flat except for a short hill at the end which you turn back on 3 times. 

Look forward to seeing you there!

Mr P - ten miles - nice going!

Hans - nooooooo! It's amazing how big a part of the weekend Parkrun has become. I hate it when I have to miss it. Glad to see you got out anyway. 11 miles at that pace is very impressive!

• Malcs - Not sure I would even class F1 as a proper sport, let alone a team sport. Isn't it just sitting down and driving, albeit at a ridiculously fast speedimage

• It looks lovely Malcs, I'm looking forward to it! Trying not to vom could be a problem aye. But nothing will cure a wee hangover more than a run in Greenock in December!

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Sean - lol, is this a new Christmas party game? You put your reply from one thread on another and we all have to guess where it was supposed to go?image

Gingermagic - ha image It'll certainly blow the cobwebs away. If the wind is low it's quite a fast course but if it's up then it'll be a bit more of a challenge.

I think I overdid things last week thinking I was on the mend. Things are still not quite right with the foot. I now also have a re-emergence of the issue I had last year that kept me out most of the summer. I certainly don't want that taking hold again!

The good thing is that I have no pain when running, it's just after when everything cools that the trouble starts. My theory is that I had tight shins, this then led to an over stretching of the ant tib tendon and that's taking some time to properly heal. As a result I've altered my gait and that's overworking the muscles on the other side hence the re-emergence of the pain I had last year.

Need to be careful I think so only slow short runs for now. 

I have my eldest at home this morning. Unspecified illness. Unable to speak coherently enough to say what's wrong. I have so far ruled out leprosy and the plague but it could be a long day if I have to use a process of elimination to get to the bottom of this. Wish me luck! image

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    Malcs - I feel for you. My daughter is home from Uni to 'look after' me and my son is complaining of feeling ill so is off school today. So much for a couple if weeks with my feet up!!

What's up with the foot? Have you had a diagnosis?
  • MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

lol gotta love 'em image

How are you getting on? Are you still on crutches? If so, how long until you get to fully weight bear?

You can't be feeling sorry for me! I've had the best running year of my life and you've had what surely must be your worst? I think all sympathy needs to go in your direction!

No official diagnosis. A few weeks back I got some pain during an 8 miler on the top of the foot where the anterior tib tendon attaches. That's improved but it's not healed fully yet. However, I think it's throwing other stuff out. I'm still running - maybe I should be resting?

Going to try and get physio this week. I thought it was improving so hadn't bothered. That said it probably wasn't sensible to do flat out 400's last Thursday image

• Malcs Hope the foot heals up soon, what is the prognosis?

Minni / Malcs I was looking after my youngest at the weekend. I found back to back Top Cat episodes, Fireman Sam and Frozen worked a treat. Not sure if this approach will help either of you?  

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    I'd definitely rest it for a week or two. You'll benefit in the long run ... see what I did there?!!image

Yes still on crutches which is hard because it's not actually that sore. But if I do to much it lets me know. Physio starts next Monday and I'm assuming they'll have me down to one crutch then. Stitches out next Tue so hoping I can get into the pool after that.
  • MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

I'll let you off with that one Minni as it's the season of good willimage

Rest is not a word I like hearing but you could be right. Thing is it doesn't hurt while I'm running which makes it hard not to go for a little trundle.

I'm sure it'll be great to get off the crutches and more importantly to start the rehab. Good luck with the physio. 

SupermanRuns - thanks for the suggestion. I'll put that to him but as he's 12 I suspect the thought of Disney may make him feel worse image

Great to see your thread is up and running!

• Cheers Malcs - you know myself and IT aren't the best mix lol.

Think my brain is still a bit fried from taking the kids to the X-Factor final at Wembley on Saturday and not getting home until two in the morning, and then getting up at six to go to work image  

Day off today though and did x9 Yasso 800's earlier today. Slowest was 3:27 and fatest 3:15.

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Blimey Sean, you're a brave man. Bet the kids loved it though.

Nice 800's btw. 

I went against Minni's good advice and had a little jogette yesterday. 4 miles comfortable. No pain from the foot/leg during and it actually felt better after than it did before. 

I reckon there's probably some knots or tightness in there somewhere so physio booked for tomorrow.

Really want to be 100% fit to start following training with Tim and Tom (if I can keep up!)

• I absolutely love the Yasso's. Something about them makes me smile even when they hurt. Great running Sean

Malcs Hope there is no pain today.....

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Cheers SupermanRuns!

I did do a little 4 miler yesterday and it was fine again during but tightened after.

Saw the Physio today and it's as I suspected. I'd gone at it a bit too hard post York and tightness in the shin has put some strain on the tendons resulting in an overuse injury. 

I should really have rested and taken care of that more but instead I went back to running hard before it had healed enough and my gait has altered and I'm overcompensating on the other side of the leg. It was all tight up the outside. 

So it's been loosened off and hopefully now if I take it easy things should slowly return to normal. 

The advice was run gently on it if you feel that helps otherwise rest and do loads of strengthening and stretching.

• Hope the foot gets better soon.  Am booked into a physio next week to look at my tight hip and back.  I love it when you get a new injury! Didn't see it coming at all, normally it's my ITB band.

So is the next goal sub 3?

When you were a lowly 3:59 PBer and followed Ady's thread, did you follow most of his plan or use another one?  Sam's plan for Tim starts with much higher mileage than would be good for me given how lazy I've been of late.  Am starting to realise that a marathon PB isn't just for Christmas (and by that I mean runners like me that train for a Spring event and then spend the rest of the year slobbing around while basking in the PB glow)

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Isn't that annoying Ruffles! That's exactly what happened to me. I was flying after York. Had 2 weeks rest then a light week but must have still not been quite recovered enough and bang, injury hits. So frustrating.

You're definitely doing the right thing looking at early treatment though. One of the hardest lessons I've learned.

Next long term goal has to be sub 3 but alot will depend on how my short speed develops. Sub 3 is 6:50 pace! That's my current HM pace so I know I can do it but for 26 miles? That'll be very tough right now. 

I didn't follow Ady's programme no. I kind of made up my own based on advice taken from there and from other forum gurus like Minni and DS2.

I would highly recommend the programme Steve gave me last year. You're right about Tims, it does start high on the weekend miles because he's already at that stage. Last year I was more or less starting from scratch having been injured most of the summer and done minimal training for York. 

The plan is still on the 262 Training section. Here's the direct link to the pdf:

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/news/images/asics/ASICS_TRAININGPLANS_Sub%203.30.pdf

Weeks 6 and 7 are muddled in the midweek. I'll let you know how that needs to be corrected. 

You can see that you start with just 8 miles on the first weekend then 12, 13, 14 so it's a steady build up.

That programme is so much better than the one I cobbled together.

Btw. I don't think it's too bad if you've had a lazy autumn. At least you'll be fresh. Better that than over tired I think.