Options

Beyond #asics262: life after Target 26.2 for sub-3:30 runner Malcolm

Comments

• Options
    MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

PC - if I hadn't sneaked a look at the Paris thread I'd have still been squirming. Gotta hand it to you though, that was a good one!

What's most annoying is I was fully aware of what day it was and had even contemplated a prank on the kids this morning. Just goes to show that when you're so into something you can become a bit blinkered. I was done like a kipper! image

Better watch your back in Paris, I'll be out for revenge, muah ha ha ha haaaa!image

reikirabbit - wow, 782 people, that's very impressive!

I went to look back over my past ones to see what I'd done in terms of splits. I was quite surprised to see that I did do one in 2011. That was in London too and in the heat so I'll make sure I log that one in the memory come Sunday.

My splits over all marathons (in mins) have been: +24, +6, -2, +7, +7, +50s, +6.

I hit the wall in the +24. The +50s was last April when I got everything right and did my PB. The last +6 was York where I was very undertrained.

Despite there seeming to be a pattern of a 6 min positive split I don't think I need to allow for this. On all those runs I had issues of one sort of another and apart from York they were all run before I learned about carbo loading and sorted my in race nutrition out.

SupermanRuns - lol, we used to have a Betamax! image

Steve - ha ha image  My money is definitely on Roger now then! Do we get to use the lifts on the Tower?image

Oh no, you didn't strain it again on Sunday did you? Have the cramps eased at all this morning?

That would have been brilliant to have you run with me on Sunday!

Don't worry, I'll be sticking at 7:45-7:50 pace. I'm quite happy to save it for the second half. Thinking back to that -2 min split I did in London it felt amazing to go down the Highway past Tower Bridge and for once not feel totally destroyed. I quite fancy having that feeling again image

• Options
    chickstachicksta ✭✭✭

Thanks, DS2  image  

I'm sure you can get another negative split in Paris, Malcs. Believe in the Hand of Godimage

• Options
    MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

DS2 - many thanks, pretty excited myself, can you tell? image

I don't know about following us, I'll check. I was able to register to have text updates sent to Mrs Malcs so there obviously is tracking available.

chickadeee - you have to be joking, surely you have to be confident? You've trained so superbly well. You will nail it for sure.

Oh I certainly believe in the main de dieuimage

• Options
    DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

malcs/SupermanRuns - When I was at school there was a kid whose dad was always really unlucky. Then at the time the video interest took off there was all this talk about Betamax being the better option over VHS (some of the older ones will know what I'm talking about!!).

Anyhow, said bloke decided his next business venture would be a video shop and it was the great growth industry. He got in early so it looked a sure fire success!

Unfortunately, and this summed him up......................................

The shop was called ...................................................................

wait for it..........................................................................................

'Simply Beta!'

• Options

Haha that one really got me going!! I was about to check the marathon website image

David and I will be supporting and waving a red/white Harpenden Arrows flag. We'll be at 6.5km Reuilly-Diderot, then cross to the half way mark. We'll leave there in time to see our 3hr runner at 36km where you enter the Bois de Boulogne. I will stay there until our 4hr runners have passed through, whilst David heads to the finish.

We'll look out for you (all). The yellow top should be easy to spot Malcs! What are others wearing?

If anyone manages to find out how to track then please let me know - I have searched and failed.

I'm not sure we'll make it to the pub afterwards - we are staying in 17e at Ternes and I think the other Arrows will be meeting up near there, but I have noted where it is and will get over if I can.

Stay well and enjoy the taper!!

• Options
    DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

ArrowsLou - I'm so jealous. Would love to be out there supporting!

• Options
    MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

DS2 - oh no, that's just tragic!

I remember my dad buying Betamax because it was the better system. I also remember the big sell off at the local video shop when the writing was finally on the wall. Such a sad day image

ArrowsLou - brilliant, I'll look out for you too! image

The paris web site says there's an app where you can track runners. However, it doesn't appear to be available on the store yet (for iPhone at least)

http://www.schneiderelectricparismarathon.com/marathon/2013/us/r6_applicationOfficielle.html

• Options
    MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

I'm going to do a trial run in the kit today. It arrived too late to try it on Saturday but I think this is a blessing in disguise as there will be fewer people around. I'll feel a bit conspicuous in bright yellow!

• Options
    NayanNayan ✭✭✭

Good idea Malcs - "nothing new on marathon day."

• Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Hi Malcs!

Sorry I've not dropped in for a bit.  Iv'e been very busy workwise, going through Uni interviews with Miss Minni and been on a rollercoaster with my own running but holding on by my fingertips!

How excited are you???? The past 4 months seems to have flown past.  Without a doubt you're on for a biggie in Paris and rumour has it that your marathon might be pretty good too!

• Options

Malcs Nothing says 'We had Betemax' more than a yellow running top with white/blue & lime lacing running shoes....image

DS2   'Simply Beta'  imageimageimage   You just could not write it......

• Options
    jenfjenf ✭✭✭

imageimageimage Love it! nice one LesChamps,Mr P and Trigg.

• Options
    MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Nayan - absolutely! 

Minni - blimey, you've had it all on! I can imagine having a child going to uni is a huge thing, I found it bad enough dealing with the secondary school thing.

Sorry to hear you've had some up and down running - I knew from Twitter that you ran better recently so that must give you some how are you more confidence. How are you feeling about London?

Ha ha image yes something big is on the cards whatever happens. I'd prefer to be celebrating afterwards instead of drowning my sorrows but I will be going out there and giving it my all. Excited doesn't even start to cover it image

Thanks for the post - really appreciate it!

SupermanRuns - if only they were still going, I could be their poster boyimage

Jen - don't encourage them!

• Options
    DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

Minni - I know what you mean about uni visits along with work and marathon training. I really expected to be back on the Sub 3;15 thread but have limited forum time and by the time I post on here.............well you know the rest! I do keep lurking there from time to time though.

Has your daughter selected now? What course is she doing?

SupermanRuns - your post was the first time I had pictured all of those colours together. Very psychedelic!!!

Malcs - thanks for the app link. I'll do my best to get it downloaded. Is the race on UK TV?

Jen - do encourage them!!! How are the legs today?

• Options
    MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

DS2 - hey! Don't you encourage Jen to encourage them! 

It's on Eurosport 2 from 7:30 am. Look out for those psychedelic colours in the crowds image

• Options
    Mr PuffyMr Puffy ✭✭✭

Hmm Freemers, I think I've aggravated it tbh image

All will depend on the Physio's opinion I guess.

I don't know what I'm doing yet, I might nip over to Manchester to watch the race there, but I'll be tracking on my phone Malcs if I do.

One thing I remember is pretty soon after the race you can type in your number and see a video of yourself at various points on the course.

I do like the idea of Steve running alongside holding you back image

• Options

What is opposite of a pace maker?? 

A remarkable show of belief that the coach is prepared to run to slow the athlete down......Malcs this will go down in history. image

Minni Hope all goes well.  

• Options

Malcs, best of luck in Paris,the trainings all done now just put those months of planning into action imageimageimage

• Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭

DS2 - It's not as simple as that with the Uni.  She appears to have chosen the most competitive of courses with each Uni only having between 12 - 20 places.  She's had a rejection from one, is on the reserve list for another two and still has the interview to go for the other. Each interview is a day long with loads of preparation needed.   She is also doing 4 A-levels and a distance learning course. image  Thankfully she hasn't inherited her mother's partying addiction!

To be honest this has affected my marathon training a bit.  Not in getting the miles done but just in the mental preparation.  We are both very stressed with it all!

Malcs - Yes things are looking up now.  The above coupled with some illness and too many niggles has made this the a hard campaign.  But, hey, its only running...! image

• Options
    FreemersFreemers ✭✭✭
    Malcs - have you started obsessing about the weather forecast yet?

Mr P - oh no! I really hope that isn't the case. When is your physio appointment?

Minni - it seems so much tougher for uni places these days. Can't be an easy time for Miss Minni or you.

Got my final tempo run done today - 7 miles with 4 @ MP-10secs. It was one of those days when the pace felt quite easy....hopefully I'll have one of those in 12 days time as well!
  • Options
    DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

Minni - I feel for your daughter and you! One or two of my daughters friends have hit the same barrier and are having to jump through hoops to get an offer. Incredibly tough on them at a time where they need to be putting there all into the exams!

Freemers  - you are looking so comfortable!image isn't it lovely when you have those days. let's hope marathon day feels the same!

I have marathon fever - can barely be bothered to work today!

• Options
    Yey for Eurosport!!
  • Options
    DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

I had a nice easy 4 mile recovery run last night. Legs felt a little sore at first but soon eased up. Today I'm meant to be doing intervals but no time during the day and tonight I'm off to football. I sponsor Dartford FC in the Conference Premier and they are playing Luton tonight who are walking away with the division. They are bringing thousands of supporters so need to get there early to park!

I will take today as a rest day and do the intervals tomorrow morning. I'm sure it won't make too much difference at this stage!

• Options
    MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Mr P - I assume you're still icing when you can?  I hope you get some good news from the physio.

Ha - I can see Steve appearing with a set of baby reins image

SupermanRuns -  opposite of pace maker: pace braker? image

SupermanRuns wrote (see)

A remarkable show of belief that the coach is prepared to run to slow the athlete down

"Athlete" ? Why thank you image

Martin - many thanks. How is your taper going? Not long now until GWM! 

You might see Jen when you're there - she does marathons in her sleep nowimage

Minni - wow, is it one of those niche courses then? I can see why you're stressed!

I don't want to stress you further but the inherited partying addiction will most likely kick in *after* she gets to uni. Sorry to mention that image

I know you're not as well prepared as you'd usually like to be but I'm sure once the gun goes off in London you'll have enough in you from previous great campaigns to make up any shortfall from this one. 

Freemers - obsessing about weather, moi? You're damn right I am! image It's a freakin' scortcher here today. If it's like this on Sunday I will quite literally melt!

Am I allowed to agree with DS2 again? If you're running MP -10s and finding it easy then you are most certainly in a fantastic place with just the run in to go. Remind me, what's your target for London again?

DS2 - I'm struggling too but I have stuff I need to get done. Not a good week to be busy but then again maybe it is. 

Well done on the easy 4. You are dead right, the timing of your intervals doesn't matter a jot. 

Have a great time at the footy! 

• Options
    MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

TODAY'S SESSION

Week16 - Tuesday

Intervals

4M of 1M jog, then 12 x 200m at mile/5km speed (in approx 45-50 secs) with 200m (or 1-min) jog recoveries, then 1M jog

So the last interval session has been and gone. I've discovered a new love for speedwork on this campaign and so I was quite sorry to see it go.

The main reason for this has been the sheer variety of sessions that Steve has mapped out for me. I don't remember many of them being the same. When there was the odd repeat there were either more reps or I was at the track and doing them slightly differently.

The weather today has been scorching. Sun out, blue sky. I went out around midday so it was a great opportunity to test out the race day kit in warm conditions. 

I didn't have any problems and the vest was really good - very light and thin. No chaffing but then it was only 4 miles. 

Steve suggested I ease off on the speed for this one and just run marathon pace so I happily obeyed instructions. I didn't find the pace a problem but it felt like more of an effort than a tempo run as I kept having to slow down between reps.

Splits were a bit uneven and a few were slower than MP but I'm not too bothered about that.

Legs felt really good after the rest. There wasn't the slightest issue from the calf. No pain, no hint of tightening. Again, it was only 4 miles but earlier in the campaign it was starting to tighten after just a mile or two.

I have to say it's great just to breeze through a run like that. Another nice confidence boost.

Run Summary: 4.3 miles in 35:50 including 12 x 200m reps at MP

Splits: 54, 58,59,58,   57, 59, 56, 58   59, 54, 55, 54

• Options
    DS2DS2 ✭✭✭
    Nice one Malcs! That sounds absolutely perfect!

Going into the race niggle free will be an amazing feeling. You know you are really well trained and only the calf issue was hanging over you. Fantastic news!
  • Options
    FreemersFreemers ✭✭✭
    Malcs - I have 3.12 in my head as my A target. Not sure why, probably because that's 7.20 mile pace and I like nice round numbers! Also it gives me a few minutes cushion for the sub 3.15 which has been the aim all along. I'm going to pick up a 3.15 pace band at the expo and just try and move slightly further inside that each mile...and then just hang on as long as I can image
  • Options

Malcs, just popping on here to wish you the best of luck for Sunday. Hope you smash through 3.30! 

• Options
    DS2 - Can't believe you sponsor Dartford FC. Back in the 80's & 90's I used to watch Dover Athletic regularly, when they were big rivals with Dartford. Think Peter Taylor was a Dartford player or manager back then! He eventually came to Dover, before moving onto England!

Malcs - I have been working in Northern France today, it was VERY warm this morning. Fingers crossed it cools down by Sunday. I am back there tomorrow so can give you another weather update then!