Beyond #asics262: life after Target 26.2 for sub-3:30 runner Malcolm

Comments

• NayanNayan ✭✭✭

Not loading as such but shifting from more protein to more carbs I guess

• Malcs - Just looked back on my Twitter feed, it was The Lord Fetch Half-Marathon to Marathon converter that Sarah tweeted. Was only 17 seconds out for my predicted Marathon time last year!
  • Just to wish you the all the very best for Sunday Malcs. Have a great time in Paris and go smash that PB. 

• DS2DS2 ✭✭✭
    Malcs - I think I'm a deceptive runner. I always look more comfortable than I feel. I will be following Steve's advice. Probably aim for 1:43 at halfway, keep that pace to 20 and then see. I really intend to enjoy the whole experience of running London on my birthday. I don't want to blow up so will err on the side of caution!

Some great sport science stuff in RW this month. I think I might get down to Brighton Uni to follow there Marathon Support Unit thing!
  • Malcs

If warm (likely) just remember to start having sips of fluid early and continue.

The April Fools totally got me too!

• Mr PuffyMr Puffy ✭✭✭

Evening! I find the calculators a bit optimistic, my 1:38:25 recent half gives me 3:27 according to McMillan, I think 2x plus 20 minutes is more like it.

Well I went to the physio, all good image.

I felt daft really, I am completely inflexible, don't stretch enough etc etc. She said it was unlikely to be a stress fracture, and my knee is ligaments not cartilage. when I asked if I should run she said a definite yes. Just need to avoid all the colds etc and we'll be good to go image.

just a few days now Malcs, are you eating anything in particular before you go to Paris?

• Thought I would just pop on and wish you luck before you head off to Paris as I will probably not get a chance before Sunday. I hope you really enjoy it. Look out for all the fruit the French offer around the course. Pretty sure that it resembled a green grocers opposite the Eiffel Tower. I really hope you get a fantastic poncho to wear too...... think I still have mine from last year somewhere!

You've put so much training in so I am sure you'll do well. Look forward to watching your progress on Sunday. Shiny new PB time (no pressure)
  • Sean Richards 5 wrote (see)
    Malcs - Just looked back on my Twitter feed, it was The Lord Fetch Half-Marathon to Marathon converter that Sarah tweeted. Was only 17 seconds out for my predicted Marathon time last year!

Not sure I want to use this one, its got me down for 3.36. I will ignore ever looking at it and go with the others. image

• Good news Mr P

The RW calculator you quote seems to be over optimistic. That sort of conversion rate might work for a Paula Radcliffe type doing 140 miles a week as a 65 half marathoner can put two 68s back to back.

For more average runner with experience and lots of mileage then double half time and add 10 minutes isn't too much of a fantasy. I could achieve that at my peak.

For those more earlier in their marathon career and lighter in mileage then double half time and add 20 may be more realistic.

Malcs just has to to do double and add 30 minutes which is probably more realistic for those in their first marathon.

• DS2DS2 ✭✭✭
    That sounds far more sensible Steve!
  • FreemersFreemers ✭✭✭
    Hmmm....the best HM I managed before last year's marathon was a 1.36. So my conversion was double it + 4 minutes. Does that make me Paula-esque? I wishimage

I really need to sort out my HM time.....
  • Mr PuffyMr Puffy ✭✭✭

Yeah you're obviously not trying image

• FreemersFreemers ✭✭✭
    You're probably right Mr P image

Good news on the physio front BTW. And aren't most runners completely inflexible? My OH did a seminar once to a group of local running clubs, and was getting various people up front to demonstrate some stretching techniques....every one of them was shocking, even worse than me and that is saying something.
  • Malcs - I'm doing Brighton this weekend.  Only three days to go.

I've had problems with hip tendonitis since early feb so, I've been limited to 3-4 runs per week, but that has included half a dozen at around 20 miles.  

I decided to go with the 3:15 pacer.  I haven't done a HM recently as the one I scheduled was cancelled due to flooding, but I estimate that is around 2xHM+20mins. Could be a bit optimistic, but who knows.

• Good news on the injuries all round.

I'm a double + 10 girl, but seldom race a half as they're nearly always build up training runs.
  • Hi Malcs,

Just wanted to wish you the best of luck for this weekend before you left for Paris. You've hit all your targets and then some in training and prep races, your well prepared and ready to go!

Most of all enjoy the day!

• Malcs - thanks for sharing your training journey over the past three months. It's been hugely entertaining and I've been very impressed with your massive improvement.

It's time to cash in on all those hard training sessions at Crystal Palace...

Very best of luck for Sunday. I know you'll have a great race. image

• DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

it certainly seems that the girls convert better. It could be that they don't hurt themselves as much over the shorter distance (less ego/bravado maybe) or they are better at holding it together when the pressure comes on at the end.

Double + 4 is incredible..............or you DO need to sort out that half, Freemers!

For what it's worth I'll be more than happy with double + 20 this year because that will get me inside 3:27 which I would settle for! Last year I ran a flat 1:30:44 half and a very lumpy marathon (Halstead) in 3:19:06 which seems to be about double + 17. I know I was strong last year, though, and had done loads and loads of long runs!

• DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

Sorry, forgot to say, Lou, have a fantastic run at Brighton!

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Blimey - lots of posts! image

Mr P - jumping straight to you because that's absolutely fantastic news! image

Must be music to your ears! So pleased for you!

Not eating anything special here. The big feast starts tomorrow...TOMORROW! image

Jen - it will be a different race without your amazing support image

Love the idea of 'virtual Jen' though. I will look out for you on the big screens image

Great to hear your legs are feeling better. You've recovered very well considering what you've just put your body through. Quite amazing! Looking good for London!

Littlemissactive - many thanks, much appreciated! Good luck to you too image

Nayan - not sure if it makes much difference on the carb/protein front. I've just cut back a little on portions this week and tried to make sure I have plenty of greens and fruit. 

Sean - aha, thanks for that. Sarah was going to dig it out for us. It has me at 3:19 based on my half time. I'd take that image

DS2 - ha, well you were deceptively good at Spitfire then!

I think you're doing exactly the right thing. I have the same goal as you. Whilst I obviously want to break 3:30 it would be a tragedy to spoil the end of this experience by blowing up at 20 miles and crawling home.

Ruth - thanks, I will do. Spitfire was very warm so that served as a good reminder.

Stan - thanks so much! Ooh the poncho sounds great. I'll be disappointed if there isn't one now image

SupermanRuns - lol, that's standard practice no? Get a load of opinions then go with the one that makes you look the bestimage

Steve - when you put it that way it does help to give confidence. Knowing that it's twice my half time but with 30 mins on top really does help to reassure that sub 3:30 is within my grasp.

Freemers - wow, that is quite a conversion rate! 

lou - oh fantastic! How exciting! SupermanRuns is doing Brighton too!

Gosh so you'll be carbo loading tomorrow as well. How are you feeling?

I hope the tendonitis doesn't trouble you. Maybe it'll calm down a bit with you having tapered. Hope so.

reikirabbit - hope the taper is going well.

A.W - many thanks. I watched your montage video yesterday. Inspirational stuff! image

Rob - thanks a million. I hope so. The sessions at Palace were awesome. I'm sure they will make all the difference. All fingers crossed now.

• DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

This is it Malcs! As AW (hi Alex) has said everything has gone to plan, you have been exceptionally good in the sessions that count etc. In fact similar to how AW did last year and look how well he performed in Paris. I must take another look at that montage. What an amazing keepsake to have that is!

3:19 would be more than acceptable. if you go through halfway in 1:43 as planned you could run a 1:36 second half!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• marrowsmarrows ✭✭✭

dunno if you lurk on the sub 3 thread but CHarlieW has been preparing for the possibility of a warm VLM by dressing up in all his woollies for some runs! Hot weather is top of my list of potential marathon saboteurs right now.  I have been doing a milder version - over-dressing for the bike ride in to work, and arriving a sweaty mess.  Sorry office-mates.

Malcs - I've already downloaded the 'paris marathon 2014' app and declared you one of my 'favourite' runners.

• chickstachicksta ✭✭✭

Heat is the one thing I can't cope with. If Boston ends up being hot I will completely change my plans to simply get round and enjoy the atmosphere.

marrows: will look for that App image

• Good luck Chickadee - you'll have an amazing time in Boston. In case you don't know, there are masses of loos near the start, so don't worry about queuing for an hour in the tent area (like I did, but fortunately people in the wave after me let me in front image ).

I realised quite early on that it was not going to be a fast run for me, so relaxed into enjoying it and taking in all the atmosphere, high-fiving the guys at MIT and girls at Wellesley, reading all the posters, accepting sweets and trying to remember as much as I could. I am so glad I did, I even laughed at the chanting my name up Heartbreak Hill, and it was the happiest marathon I have done, despite how it ended. 

That said, if you want to go fast, it is so much easier when everyone in your pen runs at your speed, and the course thins out quite quickly, not like London. I just found it difficult to establish a pace in the undulations right from the start - it wasn't as downhill as I was expecting (and I hadn't trained enough).

• DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

I always thought I hated the heat but I think in many respects it is a state of mind. The last three marathons I have run have been very warm. Last year, because I was better trained, it didn't affect me even though it was in the low 20's.

Malcs is so well trained that the heat shouldn't have too much effect. As Ruth says, as long as he sips little and often he'll be fine. I have decided not to fret around the weather this year and I think any of us that have trained well need not get overly alarmed if we wake up to a warm one!

• DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

I need to think seriously about Boston ArrowsLou. I have a marathon running friend who has a place there and he's often said about joining him but family commitments have always stopped me. Perhaps 2016?

• FreemersFreemers ✭✭✭
    I'm generally OK in the heat - it's just not worth fretting about it as it is the one thing totally our of your control. Make sure you're well hydrated before and during the race.

Swapped things around so got my final interval session done this morning. 12 x 400m, all around 6.30 pace or a little quicker. Glad that's done image

Malcs - in case you're offline from tomorrow, i hope everything goes to plan on Sunday, and I'm looking forward to seeing the results! And, as Del Boy would say, mange tout, mange tout (pardon, le Francais n'est pas mon point fort...) image
  • chickstachicksta ✭✭✭

Thanks for your Boston insight, Lou image. Not sure if I did enough hills but I tried to incorporate regular hill work into my training. Started with shorter hill reps in December, did most of my long runs on a hilly route and last Sunday ran 7 miles at planned MP at the end of a 22 miler on the meanest hills that my area has on offer. Generally I prefer undulating over dead flat because it forces you to change your pace and you use different muscle groups for uphill and downhill. At least that's my theoryimage

Malcs: all the best for Sunday - may the Hand of God be with you. Guess you are travelling tomorrow?