Options

Beyond #asics262: life after Target 26.2 for sub-3:30 runner Malcolm

Comments

• Options

thanks image. Good luck everyone! Sooo exciting! Let the carb load commence... 

• Options
    DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

Good luck Nayan, Angela and SupermanRuns - be the best you can be!image

Looking forward to all of the reports! As much detail as possible please!

• Options

image Hopefully will be able to collect my thoughts in the 4 hour car journey home, assuming doing so doesn't make me car sick,  hope I will be able to get a twister ice lolly up north... That was the best thing after halsread last year!

• Options
    NayanNayan ✭✭✭

Likewise. Good luck everybody

• Options

Hey Malcs

Wishing you the very best of luck … not that you need it as you are going to be BRILLIANT!! You'll love the course and the support is brilliant. Remember you're not allowed to stop and walk … Steve will be watchingimage

Have an amazing time. Can't wait to hear how fantastic you've been and how much you've enjoyed it. You've put the training in … the race is the fun part. AND you get a medal at the end.

• Options

Hello Malcs... I did not join the discussion but I have been following this thread religiously and what a journey it has been. The training, the tips and sheer banter has been amazing and inspirational. When you get to the startline in Paris I have no doubt your performance will be excellent. I just want to say - Good Luck and that I will be rooting for you.

• Options
    DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

Thanks RRR - Three of the four have got me at 3:15 and the other at 3;19. I'm sure I'm not in that shape! I think your recent half was similar in time to mine 1;33 (ish). What time are you targeting at London?

• Options

Thanks RRR  Two of the 5 I have checked are over 3.30, three are under. Its the latter for me.

Cheers for the support DS2

• Options
    DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

'tis a pleasure SupermanRuns. I know Malcs really values and appreciates the support you have given him throughout the process. I'm sure you will go under 3;30!

The support we get from each other is the most important part of the forums. Make sure you all stick around after the marathon season is over. That includes you, ini Ekwo. What is your running background? Are you doing a spring marathon?

• Options
    chickstachicksta ✭✭✭

Good luck guys! May the Force be with you on Sunday image

I have niggles image some of which are taper-madness but at least two are to be taken seriously  image   resting today which is just as well as it's been raining all day ...

• Options

Just dropping in to say good luck Malcs and anyone else doing Paris

• Options

Best of luck Malcolm - go for it dude!

• Options

Wow, that race predictor has me 3:10 worst case, based on a 1:29:51 half. I don't whether to go for comfortable sub 3:30 or all out, potential fail for close to 3:15. Ah, the joys of taper madness. 

• Options
    DS2DS2 ✭✭✭
    Runbikecat - you are in the same place as me. I ran 3:19 comfortably on a hilly course last year off a 1:30:44 half. But I'd done loads of long runs and was confident of holding it together.

How many long runs over 16 did you do? I've only done 5. Last year it was nearer 15!
  • Options

I've run 8 over 16 since mid-December. I ran 3:34 Lochness marathon, which is an undulating course, in 2012 after only 2 20 mile long runs and around 30 mile average running per week for about 8 weeks. 

This is the first time I've almost religiously followed a 16 week schedule. Half thinking I'd rather push it and fail than breeze a slower time and wish I'd pushed it. I usually do better at endurance than speed and ran a 1:29:51 half a few weeks ago. 

Decisions, decisions.

• Options
    DS2DS2 ✭✭✭
    It's a difficult dilemma. It's getting the balance right but I think you have to commit to a time that is stretching and see how you feel a few miles in. Setting off too fast will be a disaster but a minute or two on the safe side on the first half can be made up in the final miles.

I'm still not 100% sure of what to do. Will let you know once I've decided'
  • Options
    MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭
    PC - thanks! I know it was starting to sound like a farewell. It wasn't supposed to be image

I hope that I'll see you at the photo. Fingers crossed!

Luckily I know enough French to be fooled by your little game! image

Angela - good luck with the camel filming and have a safe journey up North.

RRR - ha ha, I know - he's always watching. Probably a good thing!

Thanks for all your help with pre Paris hints and tips, very much appreciated!

Ini Ekwo - that is so nice of you to say. I have a tear in my eye reading that image

Are you running Paris too? If no which marathon are you training for?

DS2 - absolutely right. Tim has been a gent from start to finish. Hope he gets a great result on Sunday.

As usual you have your inspirational speaker hat on! Very well said image

Are you doing a last long run this weekend?

chickadeee - oh no, what's wrong? Sending healing vibes your way !

Weedy - thanks so much! Hope to finally meet you and the rest of the Paris gang on Sunday - so excited!

KR - cheers! You lot have come up in conversation more than a few times so far on the trip. I started following the competition the year you all did it so to me you were the pioneers. Still can't believe I'm a part of this.

Runbikecat - I can feel you struggling with this. Really don't know what you should do. Such a tough one.

Dd1969 - thanks! image
  • Options

To the Malcs gang, an ordinary person setting an extraordinary goal and achieving it with blood, sweat and tears is inspirational. With the right mind set and support, anything is possible.

Carpe Diem to you all over the next few weeks, especially Malcs on sunday. When my moment is fulfilled I hope to let you all know. 

Think this red wine is making me maudlin.

• Options
    MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭
    What a day. Been to the expo and got my number which is the main thing. Had a bit of an issue with the room keys not working but sorted now thankfully.

Will report more tomorrow.
  • Options

Run bike cat, I would suggest 1:42-1:43 at halfway which should still feel comfortable and then see how you are at 15 - if you feel very easy then up the pace to 7:45s then see how you feel at 20, if suddenly worse then even slightly over 8s will get you well inside 3:30. if you feel at your limits but still in control keep the 7:45s going and you will have a sub 3:25 or faster. If you still feel great at 20, then push on even more and get a time in the low 3:20s. You may be capable of faster but best to make sure you can break 3:30 comfortably.

A lot of people may have times in the mid 3:30s - think they are much much fitter, set out for  a time around 3:15, which on paper looks possible but they suffer and end up with another 3:30, none the wiser what a sub 3:30 feels like or whether they would have done had they been more controlled.

Malcs would get a A plus for his meal tonight. The same control in Sunday with his running should mean no problem with the target,

• Options
    MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭
    Hans C - what a lovely thing to say image
  • Options
    Mr PuffyMr Puffy ✭✭✭

Bonjour bonjour! Visions of all the Asics team eating like sparrows then raiding the minibar for crisps and chocolate.

glad you got the collection out of the way Malcs, what's the plan today? I expect RW will want the usual abs photo for the magazine at some point image

loaded up the app ready for tomorrow, have a great day today!

• Options
    DS2DS2 ✭✭✭
    Malcs - glad you are all there safely! How's the weather looking?

Doing an easy 5 today and a slow 12 tomorrow and then pretty much the same as your final week. Are you doing a couple of miles today?

Runbikecat - I'm going to try to follow Steve's advice. I was thinking that I could attempt to go a bit quicker having run quicker last year and if it didn't go to plan it wouldn't really matter, but I'd sooner make sure I have a positive experience so I stay motivated after to carry on. 1:42/3 at halfway is the plan! Settled! Until taper madness kicks in again and I lose the plot!????

Hans - good words! Marathons are emotional and so is the training! I don't think anyone could understand that until they train hard for one. So many ups and downs and just toeing the start line in shape to go for the time you set as your goal is an achievement in itself.

Have a great run everyone running A marathon this weekend!
  • Options

Hi malcs, I've been following the thread since the beginning, but went back to lurking when my training started to nose dive (if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all;-)) I did a 16 mile race two weeks ago and did 7:50 average splits, but didn't feel that easy. Despite having run 11 previous marathons, this one feels like the biggest unknown somehow - I just can't figure out what kind of form I'm in. Weird.

ANYWAY, what I wanted to do was to wish you a great weekend in Paris. I hope your race is both enjoyable and fast, and you get the time you're hoping for. you're an entertaining writer and it's been fun reading about...dare I say it?...your journey!

good luck and enjoy. Can't wait to read your race report image

• Options
    Hi Malcs, hope I'm not too late to wish you all the best for tomorrow. (I was on Sarah and Minni's forum with you last year.) I've been following your amazing journey and agree with the others that you will absolutely smash it. Just remember your forum supporters as you go through the Bois de Boulogne, it can be pretty miserable running through there.

And good luck to Angela and Mr P. and all the others on here with their marathons.
  • Options
    Mr PuffyMr Puffy ✭✭✭

Hello Dotty!

• Options

Thanks Steve and DS2, I think that is what I will go with. As I train on my own, I always get a bit carried away at the start and think I can maintain a pace that is just too fast. Realistically just over 3:20 is what I think I can do if I am sensible. 

I'd really like to get a PB, but way back when I got it, it was my 3rd marathon of the year and I'd built up confidence over the first 2 so I knew I could maintain the pace.

I just have to remember this won't be my last marathon and I really want to enjoy this one. London has something special image