Beyond #asics262: life after Target 26.2 for sub-3:30 runner Malcolm

Comments

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭
    Thanks so much everyone. I met Triggg and Marcus in the pen beforehand and we stuck together for 7 or 8 miles but my calf started to play up and my heart sunk. Decided to stop and stretch which sadly meant losing Triggg and Marcus as well as over a minute in time.

The game changer came shortly after when Steve joined me. What a superstar! Got me back in the game, helped me focus and pulled me along. It was hot and I know that without Steve I would have dropped off the pace for sure.

He ran all the way to mile 25 with me. That's a week after a double calf problem himself. He also got water for me as well! But of course he was never going to tell you that because that's the kind of guy he is. Total legend in my eyes and this is a joint result that I proudly share with him.

Triggg I'm so sorry you had problems later on. I really found it hard and although the clouds came in later it was still very humid and a lot of damage had already been done. You did brilliantly to battle on. I can't believe we didn't see you - did you stop for a beer?image

I saw Marcus at the finish - he came in at 3:38 and was quite rightly elated! Walked to baggage with him hen ran into some of the Paris thread guys, which was brilliant.

Nayan - awesome result in your first marathon, really pleased for you!

Sorry I didn't see you ArrowsLou!

I know how Angela did, I'll leave it for her to tell you image

Not sure how it went for SupermanRuns.

Apologies for being brief but I'm just back and need to get sorted before dinner. Plus it is truly crap typing on a phone! image
  • jenfjenf ✭✭✭

looking forward too full race report!  you did us proud!! image SO pleased for you x

• Congrats Malcs! Enjoy the celebrations. Are you allowed to eat whatever you want now?image

• DS2DS2 ✭✭✭
    Brilliant stuff considering the problem. I thought you may have had a problem early on because you weren't where I expected at halfway. That is fantastic mental strength to pull out a negative split.

Steve - above and beyond and all that!!!

Looking forward to everyone's report. Well done one and all.
  • Malcs!

Brilliant running! And especially with a calf problem!! Wow!! Well done! Knew you'd be FANTASTIC!! Yep agree - Steve is a superstar! Have so much respect for him.

Have a brilliant evening tonight celebrating!! image
  • Malcs

Sorry to hear calf caused some problems but you did I,  you broke the 3.30 with a problem and in humid conditions (times nearly always affected in hotter temperatures...). Agree that Steve is a special coach. Well done and enjoy this evening!

• DS2DS2 ✭✭✭
    Enjoy tonight Malcs!

Sub 3:15 is in you without a doubt. To run Sub 3:30 with the humidity and the calf issue is excellent. I'm looking forward to seeing where you go from here!
  • PC -PC - ✭✭✭
    Well done Malcs.

I'm from the Paris Forum although I'm a muppet there are many dedicated runners. It was extremely hard today, the best runners were 10 minutes behind schedule, 20 mins extra for the good ones, 30 mins for the slower. And 1 hour for the muppet. On top of the conditions Malcs had a problem with his calf, 3h29 is an excellent time and it shows Malcs potential.

I finished in 5h15, i had a brilliant day. The support was great and i chatted with another brit during the long death march so the time passed quickly. Met loads of friends from the forum. Sadly i didn't see the man himself.
  • chickstachicksta ✭✭✭
    Steve, you legend!! Fancy pacing me around.Boston on the 21stimage
  • Hi, congratulations Malcs. Hopefully you're taking all the positives out the day as you achieved your goal...I'm sure you can go even faster in the future, but for now you've nailed it: you're a sub 3:30 runner. Well done image
  • Woop Woop!!! Well done Malcs, what a fab achievement!!! to fight thru with those calf issues shows real mental strength- now you've cracked 3:30 you'll start chipping chunks off, just like Minni says,

i have had the best weekend ever, first filming a camel 5k run world record attempt- they came in at 25:30 when the previous record was 31:00!!! 

Then today, a completely sleepless night, but Manchester marathon ended up starting around 8:20s which tailed off around mile 20, but ended up with a 38 minute pb (since last may in Halstead) of 3:39:53. I was aiming for sub 3:45 for a London good for age / kept thinking of all you on the forums and my dad's final days this time 2 years ago to give me strength- first marathon where I didNt stop to walk once image

• Well done Nayan!! Didnt realise this would be ur first marathon! What a superstar!! 

• I've been following this thread for ages but too much of a wimp to declare my hopes of a sub 3:30 in case it went pear shaped. Thrilled to report a PB at Brighton 3:28:40 & the icing on the cake 1st VW55. Congratulations Malcs, awesome time considering the calf problems & weather. Thanks for keeping us entertained with all your posts.       image

• Mr PuffyMr Puffy ✭✭✭

Great day all round! What an advert for your services Angela.

I went for my last long run today, 12 miles at mp, boy it was bad!  Luckily I remembered all my previous crap last long runs so it wasn't too depressing, though from four miles in I was preparing to defer. 

It was 22 degreesw hen I got back to my car, I'd been feeling a bit nauseous, and need to think hard about strategy for Sunday. 

I watched Paris on the TV, hilarious how people just meander ontot he course and follow the leader on bikes!

• DS2DS2 ✭✭✭
    Fairy clogs - amazing!

Mr P - I did the same run and felt about the same as you! Still can't decide about strategy but feel like giving it a good shot rather than be conservative.
  • Nice one Malc, great result under tough conditions!

• Well done Malcs! Really pleased for you. How's the calf tonight?

And what a fantastic PB for Angela. 38 minutes, wow. Not far off a B.Q. either.

Mr. P., sounds like you had the same run as me today though I didn't quite hit marathon pace. Hopefully it will goes as well for us next week as it did for the guys on here today.
  • Well done Malcs. I am so pleased for you. A sub 3:30 in those conditions is absolutely brilliant. Huge well done. 

• RoundmanRoundman ✭✭✭
    Superb effort Malc! That is a great result in the conditions you experienced. Well done!!
  • Nice one Malcs and you even had your own personal water carrier!

Gave me goose bumps when I read what you wrote about coach Steve.
  • NayanNayan ✭✭✭

Thanks Angela. Well done on the PB

• Yes, well done Angela, you must be very chuffed image
  • FreemersFreemers ✭✭✭
    Malcs - yay!! You did it - so pleased for you, especially given the calf problems. Hope you had a good time celebrating image

Angela - wow, fantastic PB, you must be ecstatic image

Nayan/Triggg - good runs from both of you too.

Last run in double figures yesterday - 12 miles. Pretty windy but a nice run.
  • Malcs - great time well done. Well deserved - your energy on this thread has been fantastic.

Andrea - well done, super quick - hope you enjoyed Manchester, we got lucky with the weather.

I came home in 3.55.55 - 40 minute PB couldn't be happier and a negative split.

• Well done Malcs- awesome result, especially all things considered. 'nuff said image

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

malcs - so pleased for you.  Very well done but a shame about the calf problems.  Take some time off and get that sorted then we'll be seeing that sub 3:15 in York.  Mind you, you've got 10 laps of TR to go before then.....

It has been a great journey for you over this past 4 months and you've done a top job of keeping everyone in the loop.  We all felt we were doing it with you! 

And also anglea. Whoop, whoop.  I was as excited to hear your time yesterday as Malcs.  You're another who has worked really hard and given the training your all therefore very much deserve that great PB.  Well done.  Did I also hear you're doing London on Sunday...... 

• Malcs - Wow! You did it! You did it! Even with the calf problem and all - you did it! Congratulations! And a very big well done!

Malcs, DSC2 - I am training for a marathon - the Milton Keynes Marathon on the 5th May. The plan is run a sub 4-hr marathon. So far the training has gone well.....