My #asics262 Journey to Paris: Sub-5 Gareth

Comments

• Yes but lots of parkruns have an extra Christmas day run. image
  • Ahhhhhh - cannot see me going on XMas day for a run. Christmas Eve and Boxing day maybe but not Christmas Day. I can hear the dedicated runners on this forum all tutting under their breath.

• But my local one is very near and I don't have small children any more so it's slightly easier for me!
  • MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Oooh M&S eh - posh! image

That's great Gareth - look forward to seeing you in a week's time. They have a nice cafe there for a drink afterwards.

• Hey Gareth, hope trainings going well. I've enjoyed reading your detailed thread so far and i'm sure you'll have no problem getting under 5 hours in Paris.

I'm using the My Asics App to train for the Bath Half at the moment and your plans not too different to mine, although the long run is longer. I'm 3 weeks in now and i've really noticed the improvement already.

Can't believe you get a lie in with a young child, mine get up at 5 every day!

Enjoy your experience

Jon

• Malcs: Yes I've been there a few times for a walk with the crew but never for the ParkRun.

Jon Marshal 4: Monday was okay - a bit too fast for what Sam recommended. I need to teach myself to slow down. After two years plodding along at my one pace getting slower is tough. I know I have to do it as I will never sustain my 'plod' for 26.2 miles. The circuit training last night was tough. Very tough - but I do believe it helps with my core development and stamina.

Different to the plan but I had to take a rest day today instead of tomorrow as it's my wife's birthday today so I've swapped the two days.

I've not really got used to the MyAsics App yet - when is the Bath Half? Maybe I should get up there for it. Would have to go the night before - any spare rooms going?

Yes - Gwion (my boy) is brilliant at staying in bed on a weekday yet wakes between 6:30 and 7:45 on a weekend. So plenty of time to get over to the ParkRun. No excuses.

• Just found a link to a video on YouTube (via Facebook) so I thought I'd share it here. Some bits brought a tear to my eye. Great video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6F7T1EGSoMQ#t=206

Sorry if you have seen it before.

• You mentioning Bath Half reminded me of a question I was going to ask you Gareth.  Has your coach specified any races as part of your training? 

I'd offer you a lift up to the Parkrun on the 28th but I've gotta be away sharpish as I start work at midday that day.  My next few shifts after this Saturday have fallen nicely tho so I will also be at Llyn Lech Owain on Xmas Day, New Years Day and the 4th Jan.  Will also be marshalling on the 11th Jan as I want a rest day before the West Glam XC on the 12th.... hope to see you there on at least one of those!

• Morning Bill - yes there are some races in there. I've not had two minutes to look for them yet on the dates that have been suggested. Busy time of year in school. We break up for Christmas Holidays tomorrow so will have more time to sit and research races.

Don't worry about a lift on the 28th. I'll be there bright and early. Got to remember to print out my barcodes now.

• Day 4 of training and tonight will see a 4M steady run at a pace of 9:50 - 10:30 - hopefully the weather will be a bit better tonight than last night.

Will check back in later.

• I went out for a run at 10:45 last night - by the time I ran passed your house Gareth the rain had cleared as had some of the clouds and it was a dry, moonlit, starry night.  Never ran that late before but converting for 5 night shifts in the run up to Xmas - decided its a lovely time to run!

• Gareth, I know what you mean by finding it difficult to run slow. I'm not used to it either and it feels a bit like I'm cheating!

Bath Half is 2nd March but I think its sold out - although I'm sure you could use your celebrity status and they would let you in! I'm sure we could find you somewhere to stay, I help to run a backpackers hostel with 210 beds!

Hope the weather isn't to bad for your run tonight

• Jon - Thanks for the offer. We'll see how it all goes. Regardless of the weather I have to get out there somehow.

• Bill: You should have knocked the door. I think I was still up at that time. Do you know which number I am?

• Yeah I know which is yours Gareth... but seriously do you really want someone dayglo orange clad idiot knocking on the door at 11pm asking if you fancy a run??

If your looking for a decent half marathon in early March, the Llanelli Waterside Half is a good one.  Dunno if you did it last year but it starts and finishes at Parc Y Scarlets and is a good, flat route too.

• Evening All,

Training done for this evening. 4Miles at steady pace which Sam had noted as 9:50 - 10:30min/miles. This was the first time I have ever run with a pacing watch.

Here are my split times:

• Mile 1: Average Pace: 10:07
    • Mile 2: Average Pace: 10:05
    • Mile 3: Average Pace: 10:00
    • Mile 4: Average Pace: 10:03
    • Overall Average Pace: 10:04min/mile

Other data that may be of interest to someone:

• Average Run Cadence: 173spm
    • Mac Run Cadence: 181spm
  • Highly recommend any Christmas Day Parkrun, I'll be doing one, before going to work!

• Thanks Paul. Not sure the misses will let me out on XMas day.

• Great to see so much local knowledge on Gareth's thread! So, no excuses for not finding a few races to schedule in now, eh Gareth? Or there's always the Dorney Lake Race your Pace one with the rest of the crew. It's a laps race, which isn't the most scintillating sometimes, but it is dead flat so a good chance to reassess marathon potential and progress...

• SamMurphyRuns: Now that term has finished I will have time to sit and find some races. I'll get them over to you asap. I've no idea where the Dorney one is but I'll take a look.

Training Update: Day 6 - Due to the weather last night I moved my 3M Easy run from last night to this monrning. So Day 5 became Day 6. Running slower was extremely difficult. Today's pace was meant to be 10:30 - 11:30. According to my watch I averaged 10:53 so I guess it worked out. Running up hills seemed a lot tougher at a slower pace. Is that meant to be?

Tomorrow sees the end of the first week with a 9 miler at very easy pace of 11:30 - 12:00 m/m - not sure I will manage that. The 9 miles will be fine by the slowness of it will be tougher.

I'm afraid that's it for the forum today until tomorrow. Christmas is looming and things need doing. So enjoy your Saturday people.

• newport have a half marathon 2 nd March if that helps......image

• Hi Welshgje.

I,ve been enjoying following you,re progress so far.Hope the long run tomorrow goes well.Remember to embrace the slowness, its all about getting time on your feet at this stage and race day is still well in the future.I,m sure Sam will give you plenty of days where you can unleash your speed demons.image 

I am going to try and follow your plan for the madrid marathon which is 3 weeks after paris.So hope you dont mind if i have some Q+A with you.

• Seren nos: Thanks for that. Something tells me I have an ASICS Training Day on that weekend so will be travelling. I'll check my emails.

born to go slow: Thank you for your kind words. I hope the run goes ok as well. I'm sure it will be okay after a day of getting ready for Christmas.

Besides my 3Miles today I had to do 3 x strides which was pretty cool. 5 seconds and one pace, then another 5 at faster and so on. I went up to 20 seconds (so 4 x change of pace) and then walked back to the start. Did this 3 times. Have to say people were looking stupid at me. image I enjoyed it and I hope I got the instructions right.

Good luck with your Madrid Marathon. Ask away - I'll answer everything I can with the limited knowledge I have. How are you getting on following my plan so far?

• Hi Gareth

Good work so far! So, remember I said that the description of the how the pace should feel is just as important as the pace guidelines.... I think 'very easy' is described as 'effortless, could do this all day.' So bear that in mind - and if you find that the pace set is too slow then just report back after. The pace guidelines are based on your 5km time and (moreso) your half marathon... so you may have just got fitter since then and they're too slow. A bit trial and error involved at first!

Enjoy...

• Thanks Sam - I'll let you know how my 9m Very Easy goes tomorrow. I have a feeling I will not be able to slow down that much (11:30 - 12:00 is the pace).

Maybe as time goes on into the 9M I will get that slow but I'm not sure.

Anyhow - best to see how I get on and I will report my weekly averages to you tomorrow night.

• Hi Welshgje- sounds like all is going well for youimage

I am planning to run the London Marathon on 13th April but also considering doing Brighton the week before if fitness allows! I am always looking for local South Wales races along the way! I have entered the Llanelli Half on 2nd March, well placed in training for Paris.

I am looking forward to following your progressimage

• My first race is the lliswerry 8 miler end of January near newport.....totally fast...I am targeting it for a PB and it will make sure I keep on training over christmas and new year...

• Hi Welshgje

The strides sound like good fun, looking forward to having a go at them.

I,m just following your progress at the moment I wont actually start doing the plan until the 6th of Jan so will be 3 weeks behind you.

Last week was my first week back to running after taking a break off for 3 months,so i plan on doing about 15 easy paced miles a week up till then.

Merry X-Mas to you and your family and everyone on the forum

• Hi Gareth!!!

Just dropping by to say hi! How are you doing with your training? I hope good!! I am back in Spain now. It is great to enjoy some holidays and be able to run at 12 pm rather than at 6 am or 8 pm image How are you doing with the new Garmin? I am very jelaous image. I left London before it arrived!!!

Have a great day!!

• seren nos: Thanks for the info about races. I'll look into them over the xmas hols.

born to go slow: Cool. Good luck with the plan. Good luck with the marathon. I didn't start week two today as I have a sore hamstring. I've been speaking to Sam and Sarah about it and am resting it. RICE is the new buzzword. As I write this I have an ice pack on my leg. I also have my compression tights on.

isabelaobos: Hi there. Thanks for getting in touch. I was going to text you before xmas to see how you were getting on. Not sure it will get through if you are in Spain. The new Garmin is lovely and has helped me this week to stay on track. How long are you out there for?