Options

My #asics262 Journey to Paris: Sub-5 Gareth

Comments

• Options

Hi Gareth,

Sorry to hear about your hamstring, hopefully it will sort itself out over the next couple of days and you are able to train again soon.

Hope you enjoy the next couple of days anyway and have a good Christmas.

I'm looking forward to my recovery run later today and have a fast 5 miler to run tomorrow. I think I'll have a few beers after that though!

Merry Christmas

Jon

• Options

Morning Jon,

I've been icing and massaging my hamstring since the 23rd and it feels okay. Might go for a short run today to see how it goes - an easy one. I'm meant to be running off road today for 4M so might try that - softer surface, plenty of stretches etc.

Hope you had a nice day yesterday.

• Options

Hope the leg settles- have you got a foam roller? - I'd be interested what the professionals think of using one after your runs- I think they help iron out the stiffness- obviously not going to make a difference to a full blown muscle pull, but I think it reduces the stiffness that accumulates, and might prevent future problems.

Hope your run goes OK. I am training for a double marathon in april, so am already at reasonable distances ( 16miles today), - It was a lovely day out on the canal towpath- everyone saying hello, and much more friendly than usual.

• Options

tricialitt: Thank you. I've just come back in from the 4M off road (trotting track) run and it went okay. Meant to be an Easy pace of 10:30 - 11:30 per mile. A quick look at the stats tells me I averaged 10:39m/m over the 4.32mile distance. Went slightly longer to get me back to the car.

A quick shower later and the leg feels good. I thought I might be a bit sluggish after not running since Sunday and Christmas lunch yesterday. However it all went okay.

Good luck with your double marathon in April. It was indeed a lovely day out and it made the run around a track less monotonous that I thought it would be.

• Options

glad to hear the run went well and the hamstring felt ok.

• Options

Looks like the RICE did the job for you,good to see that you are up and running again.

I too am getting plenty of rice, but that is because i am holidaying with my inlaws who are indian and eat it twice a day. Still you dont want to leave the carbloading too late with marathon training.

Has Sam given you any specific weeks that she wants you to race on and does she want you to race 10k as well as halfs ? 

• Options

Yes - there are races in there that I need to add in but I've not had chance to look into where yet.

Once I get then sorted I will add them in. The first 4 weeks only has me running a ParkRun on a Saturday. However I've added in another one this weekend so I can run with Malcs.

• Options

Hi Gareth

Pleased to hear the hamstring is feeling better after a couple of days rest, and that the run today didn't irritate it. I often use a foam roller pre or post- training and think they can be really useful. But it might simply be that you had not been doing much running prior to starting the programme due to your circuits addiction!

I hope the parkrun goes well on Saturday - it will be fun to meet up with Malcs. I'll be down in Devon for the next few days so will check in when I get back to see how things are going. Enjoy the remaining festivities everyone!

• Options

Hiya Sam - yes it's feeling good but I'm still icing and massaging it. 4Miles today and a rest day tomorrow with the ParkRun Saturday if the weather holds up.

I"m supposed to be getting a roller in the new year so that will help.

Enjoy your time in Devon.

• Options

Welshgje - pleased to see the hamstring is okayimage I have a foam roller and find it very helpful. Hope you enjoy your rest day and Park Run on Saturday. Very windy in Swansea this morning, hope to do my LSR tomorrow morning when forecast is not so bad!

• Options

MadWelshWoman: Thanks for the message. Which foam roller do you have? At Bootcamp Sarah showed us several of them.

I'm thinking of getting a Trigger Point roller like this one: 

http://www.sweatshop.co.uk/trigger-point-grid-foam-roller.html - but will look around for a cheaper alternative. 

Maybe this one is just as good:

http://www.sweatshop.co.uk/sweatshop-src-foam-roller.html

Any advice welcome.

• Options

You can save yourself a few quid on the trigger point grid roller if you order it from Achilles Heel.

I dont work for them honest.Its where i got mine.

• Options

What's the advantage of a trigger point roller?  I bought one of the bog standard blue rollers like this one

http://www.physiosupplies.com/66fit-elite-foam-roller-blue-15cm-x-45cm.html

a couple of years back.  Been a superb purchase and has helped loads with various aches and knots etc but can't help wondering what you get for paying an extra £26 (other than overdraft charges)?

• Options

Hi Bill thanks for posting the link. to be honest with you i didnt do a lot of research into rollers before i bought one and i got the trigger point because it was featured on this website.

I havent used the 66fit roller but watching the video on your link my immediate impression  is that it a lot softer and pliable. Its also a lot smoother. I think the guy even says something about comfort and that is something you definately dont get with the triggerpoint TP.So i dont know if you get a deeper massage with the TP or not.

The TP  can be pretty sore to use at times or maybe i am doing it wrong, so i can see the advantage of the 66fit.especially if you are in pain to start with.

It would be nice to hear what others think

• Options

Evening Gareth

Congratulations on your selection and I hope your xmas was very merry.

I am  the Asics Pro Team Nutritionist and I am here to answer any questions about nutrition and running!

I will be on the forums a couple of times a week usually a Sunday or Monday and Thursday or Friday. It would be good if you could post what and at what time you eat over the weekend to get us started on discussing your diet in public....image

Hello to everyone following Gareth's journey. 

• Options

born to go slow: Thanks for that. £4 saving on Sweatshop prices. I've seen a few different models around through searching online. Some on eBay but not the same make. I'm sure you get what you pay for.

Bill: Does your roller lose it's shape at all over time? How long have you had it? I've just read the description and it sounds good and cheaper. I wonder if there is an online comparison somewhere? I'll ask elsewhere on the forum.

• Options

Good evening Ruth - I thought I'd reply in a post on it's own instead of adding you to the previous post. I wondered when you would get in touch. I should have guessed it would be the day after boxing day image Thank you for getting in touch.

Discussing my diet in public? Oh dear. image

Well I'll give you some information now - I don't drink most of the time. I admit to having a few bottles of Budweiser since Christmas eve, but that would be the first time I have had a drink since September. Once the box of 12 has gone then that will be it for a few months again.

As for food - I was 15 and a half stone and spent 2/3 months on HerbalLife - now regardless of what people think of the scheme (being a rip off/pyramid/dangerous/unhealthy) I did lose weight and it gave me the kickstart I needed. I am now 13 and a half stone and the weight it staying off. I feel lighter so am running more so I think it have me the kickstart I needed. I would move over to the HerbalLife 24 protein shakes. As a nutritionist I guess you will be able to advise/warn me about this stuff. image

Other food - my normal work day involves:

• Breakfast (around 7am): Toast/Marge and Jam
    • Breaktime (10:40) - Banana covered in yogurt
    • Lunch (12:40): Sandwitch / Crisps / Yougurt / Can of diet coke or bottle of water. Sometimes I will order a salad from the school canteen (usually a ham salad)
    • Tea (~17:30): Standard family meals. 95% homemade but partial to an oven chip when the shopping hasn't been done.
    • Supper: If I'm hungry around 9pm I'll have some toast or a crumpet with marge and jam.

My main vice if I am late from work is a chicken shish kebab with mint sauce, coleslaw and salad. This is quite rare - maybe two a month.

I drink decaf coffee and tea most of the time.

Diet is mostly based on meat (but not fish). I eat a lot of white pasta. Not enough fruit and veg. I don't drink enough water. We tend to stick to the same family favourites for our tea (curry, Bolognese, pasta bake, stir-fry noodles etc).

Saturday mornings is usually a treat with a bacon or sausage sarnie.

It's very difficult with a three year old and we want to avoid having to cook 2/3 different meals through the Asics scheme. We tend to eat what our son likes as it's a lot easier. We do eat as a family.

Sorry this is a bit waffly but I've been adding as I see.

This weekend is a bit of a weird one - I have two meals out. One on Saturday evening and one on Sunday lunch. I'll note them down here but they are not regular meals.

Hope this info helps. I'd love you to advise on any family based meals that would cover all of us here at home, not break the bank and be convenient - whilst being healthy and suite an active family. We are happy to trying new foods but it's tough with a 3 year old.

I now wait for the rest of the forum to dig into my morsels.

• Options

Thought I'd start putting my blog posts on here as well: 

http://indigo-cube.co.uk/?p=4890

• Options

Longleat 10K - anyone running this? 9th February.

• Options

Welshgje -I think my foam roller was from physio supplies, just a standard foam roller and it has been great. However, I do sometimes use a trigger point roller in the gym and this is good too.

The herbal life diet seems very popular at the moment, I might give it a try, but not sure if it is compatible with marathon training?

Off for my LSR now...have a good dayimage

• Options

Gareth - I bought my roller back in July 2010 and there is no difference in the shape to the day I got it.

• Options

MadWelshWoman: There is a HerbaLife product specifically for fitness dieting - It's called Herbalife24. I don't know much about it and don't want to advertise whether it is good or bad. The whole scheme is like marmite - people either love it or hate it.

A quick search through Google found this; http://performancenutrition.herbalife.com/en/ - seems a marathon runner might have used it (or is just paid to say she did).

It is also used by the Ospreys rugby region. Would they use it if it was proven to be bad? Again it could just be a sponsorship deal and they do not use it personally with their players.

• Options

Gareth- the blue "foam" rollers do eventually get squished- they had them at my gym for a while, and with that level of usage ( ? dozens of times per day), they looked a bit sad after a few months,but for a single person using one, I suspect it would be fine.

The very low calorie diets like herbalife will probably not be sensible when you are trying to build up running mileage- I'd be interested to hear what Ruth thinks.

I have never succeeded in losing weight whilst marathon training- I just stay at exactly the same weight- I'm sure my % body fat improves, and I think I look better shape- wise, but if I try to eat less, I am just flaking out with hunger , and unable to do much.

• Options

tricialitt: After a good chat with Malcs and JenF this morning I've ordered a trigger point roller online. Hopefully it will arrive before the new year. Need to roll.

In other news:

With JenF pacing me this morning I managed to knock just under 20 seconds from my best 5K time (which was 28:20). I clocked 28:02 at Llyn Llech Owan this morning and am buzzing (over 3.12miles). Thanks Jen - appreciate the help.

This was an extra run but was sanctioned by Sam in my plan.

The hamstring held up well at a faster pace. MyAsics App clocks my pace at 8:58m/m - never run that fast ever. 

Great to catch up with Mr & Mrs Malcs this morning and their son.

Week 2 Day 7 tomorrow is a 10Mile run sometime during the day.

• Options

well done on the PB.park runs are great for progressing on the 5k.  the more you run the course the faster you become image

• Options

Great stuff on the park run. Enjoy the 10 miler tomorrow- hope the weather is OK.

• Options
    jenfjenf ✭✭✭

Really nice to meet you today Gareth. image  The sun came out for my run home!

enjoy the 10 miles tomorrow at a nice slow pace! 

• Options

seren nos: Thank you.

tricialitt: Thank you. I hope the weather is too. I've not warmed up yet from this morning. I feel cold to the core. I actually feel rotten this evening.

jenf: Thank you. You too. Have ordered a roller.

• Options

Week 2 / Day 7: Supposed to be a 10Mile Very Easy pace LSR today but a night spent throwing up might have scuppered that one. Feeling lousy and full of cold/sickness.

Might swap my 3M tomorrow to today just to keep the legs turning and run the 10M tomorrow. But I've got all day and can go out tonight if I feel better. 

Not the best week every for training with me - first dodgy hamstring now sickness and feeling weak after a brilliant 5K yesterday morning.

Sigh.

• Options

Oh dear - nothing you can do but wrap up, settle down on the sofa, and wait until you are better. Don't fret too much, no one ever managed to get through the whole of a training plan without losing training days to illness/ injury- better to happen now, than 4 weeks before race day!