My #asics262 Journey to Paris: Sub-5 Gareth

Comments

• it will help with recovery but nothing to do with lactic acid......

maybe they were mixing up 2 different recovery activities and merged into one fact.good splits there image

• Sam - I have no idea. I'm doing it because Ruth told me to. Just reporting back what I was told.

Seren - Thanks.

• Just been back through this thread and Ruth said 'after long and intense runs' re. consuming 600ml milk. Which is what I would have advised... I don't think she meant after every single run. She will enlighten us, no doubt, when she comes back on Thursday. image

I totally agree milk is a great recovery drink - I use nesquick powder in milk as my own recovery drink after a long run. But it's questionable that one needs any kind of recovery fuel after an easy 4 or 5 mile run. To my mind, it's just taking on calories you don't need....

• Hiya Sam - thanks for clearing that up. Milk stopped for now until further notes from Ruth.

Watch went a bit odd tonight but here are the splits for the run tonight. Really odd, but it has given me mile splits (+ a few extra measurements - really odd).

Wednesday: 6M of 1M jog then 4M at half-marathon pace then 1M jog

Current HMP is noted as: 10:14

Average Pace for this run was: 10:18/mi

Splits were: 11:10, 10:03, 9:59, 10:16, 10:06, 10,19 - Mile 2, 3 and 5 where a bit faster than they should have been with Mile 4 was about right.

Very happy with it.

Here endeth Wednesday's training. Rest day tomorrow. Even though I took a forced one on Tuesday I could attend a circuit training session tomorrow but the plan says rest. So I will. 

Next run is Friday with 4Miles.

• SamMurphyRuns wrote (see)

I have severe doubts that milk can help reduce the amount of lactic acid in the body...! In fact, lactic acid is continuously recycled through metabolism, so it's not as if there is a 'set amount' in the body anyway. Sounds like an urban myth to me image

Myth!! I totally agree with Sam. The reason milk is so good is the type of protein in it and the amount of carbs. It is recommend that in recovery from hard sessions or very long sessions you have 10-20g of protein with whey in it (milk has this) but it also has the carbs so it is a perfect recovery drink! About to phone welshgje for a chat as only meant for the milk to be taken on hard or prolonged runs so will go over this on the phone as easier to make sure we are getting things right.

• Just come off the phone with Ruth. Great conversation. Thank you.

• Just spoken to welshgji...very nice chapimageimageimage 

and we discussed the milk so he will be having 600ml of skimmed milk and a banana as his recovery snack after long weekend runs and his intense interval sessions and after easy runs  his regular dinner.

I also discussed that he should increase his morning snack as he is hungry at this point (I noticed his food intake gets heavier as the day goes on and I would rather he spread his meals more evenly). Another important area is that he might not eat from lunch (before 1pm) until 8pm with a run within this time frame. If he leaves' such long gaps in his running this may well effect his motivation as he will get tired easier/ take far longer to recovery from sessions and the perceived effort for his main sessions and long runs will seem much harder (you don’t need that when training for a marathon!) his immunity and injury risk (training tired) may also increase.

So the plan is:

Fruit & cereal at breakfast

Mid-morning- jam sandwich (he loves this) and piece of fruit or low fat yoghurt or rice pudding (150-200g pots) instead of fruit for variety. (Ideally have a different type of fruit from breakfast to add variety as well.. the more colours of  fruit and veg  in your diet the more variety of vitamin & minerals  in diet) or have the other snack mentioned as pm (below) if want the jam sandwich before afternoon run.

Lunch – usual but try and avoid crisps and instead replace with one slice of malt loaf when want something extra! (extra carbs...better than the crisps in marathon training).

Mid-afternoon – if having early tea then yogurt & banana  or if running before tea (having later tea) then jam sandwich & yoghurt or large banana, yoghurt and slice of malt loaf (if know having jam sandwich as am snack then have the banana, yoghurt & malt loaf instead) more these snack are good before training but leave the time you need as an individual to avoid tummy probelms etc

Dinner-  watch potions

Supper – if  have a later dinner  should not need anything else before bed (as will have a more substantial pm snack) but if early dinner then chop fruit & yogurt into a bowl or have a small bowl of cereal.

Let me know if not clear and good to speak.

Ruth

• This all sounds brilliant Ruth. All I need now is Victor to sort out my head image

I'll start the changes from Monday as we will have been shopping by then. Hope that is okay.

• was trying to find something witty to say but feeling....nothing came to mind!

anyway there has been some talk of gels so just posted the following up on isobels' thread.

Lots of queries regarding gels so thought I would post further information on the different gels . There are other options for sugar during a race when not wishing to use gels  ! Sugary sweets is the next most popular and can work just as well.

So what type of gel??...well many are much the same and most often it is the taste which dictates which one you those  but there are 4 main differences (even within same brands):

1. How much carbs is in the gel? Some gels have more carbs per gel so this might suit those that would rather take more carbs in one go rather than taking a gel more regularly. However some may find the higher carb content and hence higher sugar content more difficult on the tummy.
    2. Is it an isotonic gel? This is  one with water already mixed within the gel and hence you don’t need to drink with it to maximise its absorption, these gels are described as something between a drink and a gel but they will also be heavier to carry (as have more water in them).
    3. An energy gel: a thicker consistency /more concentrated in mouth & you need to drink with this; around 150ml (plastic cup full) or more of water with it.
    4. Caffeine or no caffeine? If you are going to use caffeine... how are you going to mix this up, so you do not have too much caffeine which may actually spoil your race from stomach problems  or just making you feel “odd”. Most, if not every brand of gel, does a caffeine gel and the exact same gel but without the caffeine. However the decision if using caffeine is how much you need to use to have a good effect. These gels range usually between 30-50mg of caffeine but some used more heavily in cycling have 100mg per gel (CNP cola gels, these may be useful for those that what a bigger boost but you may only use say 1-2 of these in the race and use other non-caffeine gels for the rest of the race).

For those that have not yet figured out mid-race fuelling plan then as a suggested start guideline can I suggest you aim for 30-60grames of carbs per hour without caffeine.

For those wishing to use caffeine gels suggest no more than 3 x your body weight ( if you weight 75kg then aim to take on no more than 225mg  overall).

There are lots of other gels but I have just picked out three brands which always appear to most common but others do the job.

• Powerbar:Powergel and powergel fruit (some real fruit juice added) with 26/27grams of carb per gel but need to drink with this, no caffeine in these.
    • If you want one with lighter consistency then powergel hydro also 26g of carbs but no water needed but also has 50mg of caffeine.
    • Or as an alternative to a gel powerbar do the powerbar shots (sweets with 5 g of carb per sweet and these have caffeine in them). These sweet suits those that like to drip feed their fuel in the race (so rather than consuming a gel 2 per hour you are taking a sweet every 10minutes or so. A portion of these also have 75mg of caffeine.

• Or there is science in sport brand: 
    • GO gels (isotonic ):  with 20g of carb per gel, no water need with these  or can but the same gel with 75mg of caffeine per gel and can buy with or without caffeine (50mg  caffeine per gel).
    •  Or Highfive brand: Isogel (23g of carbs with or without 30mg of caffeine) or high five. Highfive energy gels with or without caffeine (also 30mg of caffeine called energy gel plus) and same carb 23g but the energy gels you need to drink with as thicker consistency.

Still not figured out how to use tables on this

• Continued from above...image

If using jelly sweets: regular jelly babies have around 4g per sweet and giant jelly beans around 4.5g per sweet and smaller jelly beans  just over  1g per sweet. You are still aiming for 30-60g per hour (note some can manage on less than this – around 25g per hour) but as a start aim for around 50g.

• What about those Dextrose sweets you can get from leisure centres and Tesco. I love them.

• A rest day yesterday so back on the road tonight with 4 miles at a steady pace. Steady pace based on Sam's notes for me is: 9:50 - 10:30

Whoops. I've made a mistake and thought it was 9:30 - 10:30. Oh dear. Still never mind - even better.

Here are my splits over 4.19miles : 9:34, 9:12, 9:26 and 9:37 with a final 0.19 of a mile of 9:02 (lol).

Average pace over the 4.19miles was 9:26/mi

So a big mistake but weirdly enough it was no issue. Whether it will affect my parkrun tomorrow remains to be seen.

• Just thought I'd mention on here that I've been approached by a Welsh TV program which is on S4C (the Welsh Channel 4).

Basically they are offering to run a feature on me. This is basically what the email said:

• Interview with you in school – see you working as a teacher and then a brief interview with you
    • Have our fitness reporter come out with you for a run when training to talk to you more about your story – why did you start running, how do you feel about with the weight loss and so on.
    • Have an interview with someone from the Runner’s World office in London to explain more about the competition
    • Then we could come with you to Paris to film a ‘follow-up’. Don’t panic we would not get in your way. Of course this would be broadcast after you completed everything.

Of course I have approached Runner's World about it as I realise I have to cover their requirements first, but it's quite exciting - and again good advertising for Runner's World and Asics. Hope they say it is okay.

• welshgje - sounds exciting, which programme is it?

Interesting info on gels, I have use SIS gels for years, but just started trying the caffeine gels. I did my LSR of 13.5 miles yesterday before work as I have to take my oldest daughter back to Uni in Nottingham this weekend. The LSR took 2hrs31mins, I uses one caffeine gel after an hour and then took a normal gel after 1hr45. Was quite hard work fitting this in before a day at work, feeling quite tired today but pleased to have done itimage

Good luck with your weekend runimage

• Week 4: Day 6 and my schedule had me running a parkrun with a 4-5M warmup/cooldown.

The good news is that I ran the parkrun the bad news is I didn't run much more afterwards to cool down. It was too early for a warm up but I did do some drills. I had the Edmondson troops with me so couldn't get out early enough to warm up.

So I decided to push myself during the parkrun and aim for another PB. My previous parkrun where I was paced my jenf saw me clock a PB of 28:02

Today, my Garmin clocked me at 26:24 whilst the official parkrun time was clocked at 26:42 - so another personal best of 80 or so seconds. Over a minute off. I'm absolutely chuffed with that. The splits according to my watch are:

8:36.9; 8:29.5 and 8:31.0 with an average pace of 8:33min/mi

Weather was good with no wind. It was a gorgeous cold, sunny day.

Really enjoying my running now (I always have but never this much). The improvements I feel I am making are amazing.

• MadWelshWoman: It's Heno/Wedi 3/Prynhawn Da

Not sure which one it will be - all the same. Filmed at Tinopolis in Llanelli.

• jenfjenf ✭✭✭

Great parkrun Gareth! I was obviously holding you back last week, lol. 

It was a perfect running day today, I did my long run along the coastal path, it was fabulous image

• jenf: Thank you. It was indeed gorgeous out there. I saw your 'snack' on Facebook. Great run.

• welshgje.........

they might ask you probing questions like how on earth does a teacher get time off in school time to do bootcamps and races abroad.....when parents are being fined etc if they take their kids out of school...or are you lucky and work in a private schoolimage

they are looking for houses in my street to be used to record for a couple of days for a programme for sc4...no way........it was bad enough just one person coming to interview my son in english and welsh a couple of years ago.....I had to tidy the living room image......no way do i want to spring clean the whole house

• seren nos - they might indeed ask that. Quite simply I don't get paid for the days I have off. I take them as unpaid leave.

• welshgje wrote (see)

What about those Dextrose sweets you can get from leisure centres and Tesco. I love them.

Evening welshgji

Yes, they do a similar job but they only have 3grams of carbs per sweet  so you would 7-8 of them per gel. You could drip feed them! 

Could you list all your race plans between now and Paris for me?

Maswelshwomen:

How did you find the caffeine?

• Hi Ruth - thanks for that. Ahhh so the gel is better than the Dextrose sweets. I love them sweets and can demolish a packet without any issue. I think they may be lighter for some people than a gel.

• Morning everyone. A bit later than planned but here is the Week 5 training plan. I cannot believe we have reached Week 5 already. The improvements I am seeing are amazing and it's one hell of a buzz.

• Mon: Rest
    • Tues:  5 M easy
    • Wed: 4m of 1 m jog then 6 x 2 mins at 1-M pace, 2 min jog recoveries, 1 mile easy 
    • Thu: Circuit training
    • Fri: 3M steady
    • Sat:  Rest
    • Sun:  12M very easy

The only change I have to make this week is Friday's 3M Steady. I'm moving that to Monday. I cannot run on Friday but have setup a running club in school (part of the school deal allowing me to go to Paris). This is now a weekly thing.

The only other change maybe pace - but I need to chat with Sam about it.

One final change - my actual blog has now changed to www.running-geek.co.uk

• Hi Gareth

Congrats on the parkrun PB - AGAIN!! Great to see you making such swift progress - and hope that you can see the benefit of having a week off the long run now and again image I was thinking, if you are resting on Friday instead of Monday, you might want to do your long run on Saturday and have Sunday as rest day. This will prevent 2 rest days in a row, and also, since you haven't done a long run in week 4, will bring it forward a bit AND give you more recovery prior to the fairly intense week 6? 

I'm reviewing your paces today (just awaiting your feedback report from week 4 for a bit more info to help me do this...)

• Hi Sam,

I'll see how it goes with the Sat/Sun swap. Not sure what the plans are for the weekend. I cannot see a problem with it.

Just sent over the splits and pace times via email.

I see the mileage starts going up in Week 6. Looking forward to staring to push myself further now. The first four weeks have been enjoyable but are getting comfy. 5k and 10k are getting easier by the week. Okay 12.5 is still tough but I'm looking forward to getting out of my comfort zone.

Longleat 10K is the next run I have in February and I'm trying to sort out the half marathon today.

• OK Gareth, so here are the revised pace guidelines. As with James, please do let me know how they feel in relation to the descriptions next to them. I've put week 5 down again, as the new paces affect Wednesday's session and since you did 12 miles for last long run instead of 11, I've increased the weekend long run to 13 miles. If you want to stick with 12. 5 that's fine.

REVISED Training pace guidelines

Very Easy                  11-11.45 Should feel as if you could do this all day. Effortless!
    Easy                           10-11 Should feel comfortable. Can chat quite easily.
    Steady                        9.20-9.50 Still comfortable but slightly more breathless and less chatty!
    Threshold pace            9.00-9.15 Challenging but controlled effort. Can get short phrases out. Breathing should be hard but controlled, not ragged
    Speedwork                7.30-8.30 min mile depending on length of rep. Tough. One-word answers only!

Current HMP            10.14
    Current 10k pace     9.34
    Current 5km pace    8.36
    Current predicted 1 mile pace: 7.42 (giving speedwork guideline of 8-9 min/miling, depending on length of rep)

Long run goal pace 11.-11.45 for LSRs and 10.15-11 for pace practice/improvement.

WEEK FIVE (approx 24M) 

Mon Rest 3M steady
    Tues 5 M easy
    Wed 4m of 1 m jog then 6 x 2 mins at 1-M pace (ie. 7.40-7.45 per mile) with 2 min jog recoveries, 1 mile easy
    Thu Circuit training
    Fri 3M steady
    Sat Rest
    Sun 13M easy

• Good grief I,ve only been gone for a few days.

New 5K PB,s, faster training times.

Is this still the under 5 hrs thread ?

Brilliant stuff, keep it up image