My #asics262 Journey to Paris: Sub 4 James

Comments

• Seren - Ha ha ha. I love a cooked breakfast. I am not whether they will help me shed the lbs however! My easy jog yesterday was too soon after a cup of tea and didn't feel great!

• I usually have to wait 2 - 2.5 hours before running after any food. Drink is not so bad but food is a nightmare.

• It's the sloshing sensation that I can't handle!

• Ha ha! I've hardened to it now. I usually have tea and peanut butter on toast on Saturday mornings about half an hour before take my group session for 70-80 mins! I think my body has just accepted it now image

• I always have sausage and bacon sandwiches pre race.......but a full cooked needs a few more hours to digestimage

• It's the sloshing sensation that I can't handle!

• James - Yes my long bike rides are normally between 50-100m, but that one was for charity. Porridge is good for pre run food. Settles easily, and doesn't 'slosh' , and doesn't upset the stomach, and plenty of carbsimage.

• Best of luck James. I've had four attempts at a sub four which came in at 4:57, 4:37, 4:19 and most recently 4:02 at the York marathon in October.

I'm doing Brighton in April and am determined to do it this time - used the my-asics plans in the past but really like the look of your initial 4 week schedule so may try to follow it.

• I had toast with jam and cheese, a cuppa and a mouthful of beef stew and a dumpling before run club tonight. Did 5x4mins at faster than 5km pace. With loadsa warm-ups n jogs home about 7.5miles in all. Looks similar ish to ur sesh today james. How did it go? I kinda love running in the rain!
  • Simon62w - I more than likely east breakfast after my morning training, have done for years. I catch myself out when I have to change my time of training, for example on Monday afternoon.  It is then when I get caught out with what I've eaten. On longer training days I will often have a bagel an hour before, this tends to sit will and provide a bit of sustenance.

Stephen - Thanks for your note. You have done well to take a significant amount of time off your PB on each race. I would be fairly confident that you could hit the sub 4 mark this spring. Have you run Brighton before? My wife and I were considering running it together in 2015, especially as it is her home town

EastEndJogger - I don't know how you can eat as much as that before you go out running, you must have an iron stomach in comparison to mine. I was in bed by 9 last night, training + end of term left me fairly weary! Yesterday's training session was great. I didn't settle into the correct fast pace straight away but did get there eventually. I enjoy the interval sessions, I enjoyed sprinting whilst running at school so these sessions satisfy my need for speed! Garmin had a mind of its own last night which hampered the start!

• Folks, just a quick update.

My mum and brother are going in for a kidney transplant/donation today at Guy's hospital London. I will be on and off my thread during the next 2 days, very much to keep myself from overly worrying and making a nuisance of myself at the hospital.

Training will still continue as normal, rest day today.

• Best wishes to your family

• Hi James, congrats on getting through and good luck with the training!

I'll be following your thread and training with a keen eye as my times are pretty similar to you, just have never been able to transfer it to a sub4 marathon..yet! I tried your interval session out last night and was pretty tough, deffo not feeling very fit at the mo. I've taken the "off season" concept from triathlon a little too far..!

Anyway, best wishes to your mum and bro. Try not to worry image

• James .hope the family are all ok.   thanks for letting us know.

i won't have a go at you if you do disappear for a few days nowimage

did my speed sessions this morning which was a quick 3 miles in the middle of a 6 mile run.   wet and miserable out but feeling better for having done it

• XX1XX1 ✭✭✭

Hi James, hope all goes well for you and your family, and enjoy your rest day image

• DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

Best wishes for your family James!

The renal people at Guys were magnificent with my Dad a couple of years ago and along with the vascular surgeons gave him another couple of years we didn't expect him to have - for which we shall always be gratefulimage

They couldn't be in better hands!

• James - All the best for your family over the next few days.

• Team sub4. Thank you for all you kind words. Procedures are still going on as there was a delay in my brothers transplant. My mum is now in recovery and shaking of the anaesthetic.

Tomorrow WK1 D4 - Swim or Cycle. I am planning to take the bike option. The weather looks fairly good. I will either go for a 2hr road cycle or take a 1.5hr mtb. I am swaying towards the mtg as it is a good stress reliever and the change of terrain and pace gets the body working. Will be looking to head out over the North Downs.

Once again, thank you so much for your support today.

Jimage

• Have fun on the MTB........I have just ordered one for the new year.I am a bit of a wuss on the road bike so not sure how the MTB will go but I love off road running so should enjoy the cycling......

hoping that the delay isn't too long for your brother....

• James, sounds like you are relieved to have started training and to know what you need to do for the next few weeks.

I'm enjoying reading your thread and firmly believe you will be well under 4 hours in Paris.

Wishing you and your family the best over these next few days

Jon

• Both my mum and my brother are back on the ward after an intense 24hrs. Not quite out of the woods by any means, however the donations and transplant both went well. I know they would both want me to crack on with the training and not spend time worrying, so here we go.

WK1 D4 - cycling - i will head out around lunchtime and plan for a 1.5hr mtb cycle. I have identified a route that takes in a few decent hills; ascending and descending. The trail will be fairly easy going so I can keep a decent cadence without the fear of having to get off and push.

Diet wise... Have cut out a lot of unnecessary dairy products from my diet, especially the cheese.

Will be back on later.

Have a great dayimage

• You can't cut out cheese at christmas time James...........hope the weather is as lovely there as here...........

got my long run in.only 10  and shouldn't really have gone with my manflu........but it was a gorgeous morning and i missed my long run last week so just needed to get it done......just went slower than usual for that distance.........

• Glad all is well.  I just got a MTB to vary my cycling a bit.  Plus there's lots of great trails in Bristol and Wales that I feel obliged to check out.

I think my training will start with your week 2 as the new house and work/client xmas parties have taken up this week, and have knackered me out!

• What an amazing afternoon to cycle!

/members/images/650939/Gallery/Thurs_cycle.jpeg

• WK1 D4 - the cycle was amazing. I am sure I won't be saying that after every training session. The ride up to the North Downs was hard work, the mud was thick and nearly had me off a few times. Once up, the ride back was great. The ride was just under 1.5hrs. The distance was just over 14miles. Was hoping for more milage but the terrain was a lot tougher than I had anticipated. last night's weather had left a quagmire across much of the route.

Mrs Carroll would not let me through the front door until I had removed all muddy items of clothing. I wasn't wearing much at the end of it. Even the rucksack had to go into the washing machine!

Being able to throw in some cycling into the train gin programme is a huge bonus.

Sophie - The trails in the west country are fanatic form what I remember, I did some trial running and cycling down near Wells last year. The were some ferocious hills on the Mendips. The off road running I particularly enjoyed down that way. You will love being out on the mtb. It adds a new avenue to explore, especially during winter training. Exciting about the new house, are you actually in yet?

Seren - I am impressed you made it out with the flu; did it kill or cure? The weather has been fantastic here all day. Surprising since it was so grim last night. Whereabouts are you based? Do you mix up the day of your long run or do you try and keep it mid week? Cheese is my achilles heel. 

News from the hospital has been positive today, which is a huge relief.

Jimage

• Good stuff.

Yep, there's lots of good terrain here.  We only moved here in jan so still lots to explore.  We move into the new house mid Jan so we're making the most of it being empty to do as much work as possible.  My other half thinks am shirking to go running.  It's a good job I've entered Paris to I have to train, ha!

• Good XT session James! Shame you didn't post a picture of your mud-splattered self! The fields and footpaths round here are ankle deep in mud and water now - off-road running is a bit laborious when it gets like this. I don't mind cold but wet is a bit tedious. Bright sun today though - going out at lunchtime with a friend for easy run as I have the very important and world-famous, er, Christmas Pudding Dash to do tomorrowimage

• i slipped on a bit of ice yesterday during the run but apart from that it was lovely.rest day today.........

James.I always do my long run midweek but have to vary the days depending on what I am doing..........

saturdays is park run and hubbies long run and i try and do my bike on the sunday unless i have a cross country race....

I am forever having to change sessions around as things happen......

I did spend 3 hours in the supermarket doing the christmas shopping.that must count as cross training........image

hope that you have cleaned all the mud away by now.image

• Evening all, 

have had one of those days when you never seem to stop until you sit down to have your evening meal. 

Today is WK1 D5 - Steady run - was an ok session, didn't feel like I had the legs as I have done on other days. I think the mtb session yesterday was more of an exertion than I had planned for... I blame the mud. Still picking it out of my teeth.

/members/images/650939/Gallery/photo.JPG

I know Sam had said show us a picture! Standard self shot from yesterday!