My #asics262 Journey to Paris: Sub 4 James

Comments

• Today's session was ok. The pace was reasonable, kept 8.13mmp. Felt better toward the end than at the start. Took a route that ended up being slightly longer than originally planned some probably abed up nearer 5m than 4m.

Trying to juggle a busy weekend so may go of long run tomorrow. Will keep you posted.

What are your plans for weekend training and racing folks?

• thats a fast pace James........image

i had a park run but as still got my man flu despite copious drinks of medicinal mead last night I was pleased it was a fancy dress one and my running club ran it together

bike tomorrow to finish my week 

lovely weather here today so hope you get it as well if doing your long runimage

• Morning Seren, the rather here is awful, rain, rain and more rain. The Christmas park run sounds like a good laugh today, even if you were suffering. Did you run as a Christmas elf or a reindeer?

Mrs C has made chocolate orange mince pies this morning, I have thanked her for helping support my marathon diet plan...

Today will be rest as was originally in the plan, therefore it will be long run Sunday. I am looking forward to it. The legs will probably thank me for not doing it today. Fingers crossed for some lovely weather for both of us tomorrow.image

• Morning James

Morning Seren

I did a parkrun this morning, a bit windy but dry-ish. Long 10M run planned for tomorrow morning. Hope the rain clears!

Mrs C's chocolate orange mince pies sound good....The boyf brought back ben  & jerrys last night, and dunkelbeer and wine. Can't wait for the Christmas celebrations to end! though I do have to ice the Christmas cake this arvo....

• Hi James,

Congratulations on making the final 5, and well done on the first week of training - great job!

I will be following your thread and plan, just with a 6wk slack (training for Edinburgh Marathon, which is at the end of May). I don't tend to post on RW, but thought that perhaps to inspire you I would post my times (pre-marathon):

HM 1.52

10k 48.20

Off those times I then managed 3.51 in Berlin this past September fairly comfortably (no wall, ran negative splits with fastest miles 21-24, etc.) - so I feel very positive about your sub 4.00 target.

Hope this helps and good luck.

• Evening, it has been a fairly wet and wild day here. Quite glad I am on the long run tomorrow rathe than today. So, the plans for tomorrow are:

WK1 D7 - Long Run - 10miles @ 9:30mmp - After a good rest day today I am feeling positive that I will be fresh for the run. Looking forward to it.

EastEndJogger - good to see you are out for the long ruin as well tomorrow. Good that you still have the legs after a parkrun on Saturday. I have had a very restrained day with regards to the chocolate orange mince pies. It hasn't been easy. Hope the cake has turned out as hoped!

paupau - thank you for your note, it is great to get reassurance that the sub4 is an achievable goal. I appreciate you taking the time to post. Sounds like you run in Berlin had all the variables correct! I hope I will be saying the same about Paris in April! Is the Edinburgh course fairly hilly? from visits up that way I seem to remember some good gradients, or it that just the castle?

Looking forward to getting out there tomorrow! 

• James.for sub 4 that long run is at quite a fast pace,.....will all your long runs be at that pace.or varied.......I wonder what the coaches ideas on long run paces are...Thats less than 30 secs slower than 4hr marathon pace isn't it....

• Hi Seren, my suggested pace for a long run is between 9.30 and 10.15, this was classed as a 'very easy' pace. The slowest of my suggested training paces. I will aim for 9:30 tomorrow, if it seems too quick and unattainable I will feedback to Sam. For this week's run it seems to be a sustained pace. This is not necessarily the same for all the long runs.

• Evening all,

I hope you have had the fantastic weather that Kent/South London has had. Blue sky and a fresh temp led to great conditions for a 10miler this morning.

This morning run felt great, took it easy as the training plan suggests. Ran the 10 miles at an average pace of 9:35mmp. Seemed comfortable and could have kept it up for a while longer. Will try and get the Garmin Connect information up. My ANT+ sensor is playing up so having trouble downloading the stats!

Asides from the training, I have spent the afternoon at Guy's hospital. The renal unit has done an amazing job of of getting my brother and mum back on track. Mum has gone home tonight and my brother will hopefully be home for Christmas. I simply cannot believe that he has been through a Kidney transplant and be able to consider coming home within a week. The surgeons and nursing staff that makes these things possible a truly amazing and I cannot thank them enough.

And so we come to the end of Week 1. I feel like it has been a pretty successful start on the road to Paris, I hope yours has felt the same. Next week is going to be the hardest week for most of us, less mince pies, Xmas pudding, gravy and especially the cheese. Champagne doesn't count, as long as we can still get out and train! Will be taking part in Dryathlon for January, get on board!

So tomorrow, WK2 D1 - Cycling (or swimming) - will see what the weather holds and decide weather to take the road or mtb in the morn!

Jimage

• James seems like youve had an incredible week.  The doctors aNd staff at guys are incredible.  Can't fault them.  they gave my dad some life prolonging surgery when he had terminal cancer, and the nurses afterwards were so friendly and caring we were moved to bring them gifts and cake when he was discharged!  I hope your mum and brother continue their recovery well and that you can all have a fantastic Christmas 

i'm In Essex and the weather has been quite nice here.  I was out for a. Easy 6 miles today and will do 8 tomorrow.  I actually quite like running on Christmas Day, but won't be able to fit It in this time unfortunately...   Would be good to connect on garmin image. Does your plan have a Christmas Day run?

• Morning guys and gals,

havign a change of training pan today, will be taking a 5m easy run rathe than the cycle which I will now switch to Fri or Sat.  Weather would have made for a dangerous cycle, whereas a run in the rain isn't quite so perilous! 

Angela - the team sat guys have been fantastic, really couldn't fault the care my family received. So pleased to know they well be on the road to recovery for Xmas. On Garmin connect I am jamesc, location would be West Wickham. I am also on Strava if you use that app.

No Xmas day run for me. Wouldn't mind going out but I think Mrs C my have other ideas. We have highly energetic twin boys that will need entertaining! 

Jimage

• Interesting thread. I have signed up to do my first marathon in Brighton and my original goal was 4 hours (based on 5 half marathons finishing between 1:48-1:55) I am not following a specific training plan but have been doing 4 runs a week since beginning of September (tempo run 6-10 miles / intervals / long run 14-20 miles/ recovery run) Yesterday I completed my longest run to date, 20miles in 3:02 which is exactly the pace for a 4 hour marathon. I have never competed in 5k or 10k races but in training have achieved 21:40 and 45:25 respectively over the last 2 weeks. I would be interested in what people think a realistic time would be for me to aim for, and whether I should start to follow a specific plan or to keep with what I have been doing?

• James..very wise decision to swap sessions.....not a bike day.......infact i'm thinking that today might well be a rest day as I am just shifting the last of my manflu........I am running christmas day though......

I got a bit wet on the bike yesterday and stung by some hail in a strong wind.....but luckily only for about half an hour.the rest was just windy but dry...

so pleased to hear the good news from the hospital

• Daniel Crompton2 wrote (see)

Interesting thread. I have signed up to do my first marathon in Brighton and my original goal was 4 hours (based on 5 half marathons finishing between 1:48-1:55) I am not following a specific training plan but have been doing 4 runs a week since beginning of September (tempo run 6-10 miles / intervals / long run 14-20 miles/ recovery run) Yesterday I completed my longest run to date, 20miles in 3:02 which is exactly the pace for a 4 hour marathon. I have never competed in 5k or 10k races but in training have achieved 21:40 and 45:25 respectively over the last 2 weeks. I would be interested in what people think a realistic time would be for me to aim for, and whether I should start to follow a specific plan or to keep with what I have been doing?

Hi Daniel Crompton2

your 5k and 10k times suggest that your half mara time should be in the low 1:40 to high 1:30. The hardest thing I found when training for marathons ( ran Florence 2012 and Barcelona and London 2013) was the long run, struggled to get time for them.As your up to 20 miles already that is a big plus!. with your speed and long runs I think maybe you should pace for low 3:40s. My best mara time was 4:00:03 at Barcelona. And yes barely a day goes buy when those 4 seconds don't hurt me!!

• Good luck and well done james for paris.Running Manchester on 6 april and hoping to smash 4 hour so will be following your thread closely. good luck with training!!

• ashleigh....3 secs.........horrendous

• Ash - Hope you smash those 4 secs, and I'll see you at Manchester .

DC2 - For a sub4 mara your running your lsr's way too fast, as you should never run them at your predicted mara pace. Thats the sort of pace sub 3:30 runners use for there lsr's. With over 12wks still til the race and doing 20's already at that pace, you don't want to leave it all on your training runs, I think you need to back off your lsr's in my opinion, unless you want to smash sub4.

James - Good news Re family for chrimboimage

• its a tough one3 as if DC2 is doing his runs that fast and is fully recovered enough to not affect his mid week runs with the speed on the tempo and intervals falling short ....then maybe he should be looking at a faster marathon pace......

I would be tempted to slow them done a bit for a few weeks and then do a half asap to see how much you have improved......

your first marathon is hard to judge.....I know so many people off the sub 4:30 thread who had a sub 2 hr marathon and did the long runs and failed to get sub 4:30......

I struggled for 4 years to convert my 1:55 half to anything faster than a 4:26 marathon.....but was finally rewarded with a 1:49 half and a 3:57 full

• Morning all,

after an evening without power we are back up and running. Glad my roof is still in place unlike some others along the road!

Daniel - your times were very similar to mine until I ran a half marathon more recently. My 5k and 10k times were not reflected in my HM time that was just over 2hrs. It was a bit of a skewed time as it had been at the end of half ironman early in the summer. Since then i have bought it down to 1:46 which I am sure you could get close to.

Keep asking the questions on this thread as there is a huge amount of experience floating about. Not mine though, I can update you with how my prep is going!

Ashley - those 4 seconds must haunt you! I am sure Manchester will be kind on the 6th, I hope Paris will do the same for me!

Seren - I may well be running on Xmas day if I am not back from the inlaws at a reasonable time today! Quite fancy it, before I am put to work in the kitchen. Weather has been so grim down here over the last 24hrs!

Simon - Such good news from the hospital, wasn't expecting it. a great Xmas pressie for us all.

Jimage

• Yesterday's run - WK2 D1 - Easy 5m at 9:10mmp. Knees felt a little stiff but a rest day tomorrow will hopefully help that. The wind was great on the way out but on the return leg it felt like I was attached to a bungie! 

• Just a reminder of this week's sessions:

WEEK TWO w/c 23 Dec (approx 27M)

Mon 5M EASY

Tue 5M of 1M jog, then 10 x 200m (or 45 secs if no track access) close to mile pace (each rep in approx 48-50 secs), with 200m in 90 second jog recoveries, then 1M jog

Wed REST (after all, it is Christmas!)

Thu 5M of 1M jog, then 3M at half-marathon pace, then 1M jog

Fri Cycle

Sat Rest

Sun 12M very easy (ideally off-road, just on grass/trail is fine)

J

• James, we're connected image. I made the mistake of running yestereday morning, before the storm had taken hold down here, but not fully over a cough I had and I tried to do speed work... Bad idea, had to cut the session in half and now prescribed myself bed rest aNd turkey preparation for the next 2 days... I may not even run on Boxing Day image.  Annoying as I have a goal to reach 1000 miles run by the end of the year and am currently on 970.  30 miles in a week during marathon training is fine, but not if u take 2 rest days for illness and another 2 rest days because your sister is getting married... I might have to fit my runs in before the wedding day festivities... Or do two 15 milers on the 30th and 31st!

• seren nos wrote (see)

ashleigh....3 secs.........horrendous

Lol . I was saving myself for London 5 weeks after Barcelona and crashed and burned at London. Plus side first half and second half of race had a difference of 1 second

• Nadolig llawen

Park run done.    not my best time  as ran with family and we had already had a full cooked breakfastimage

• I hope you have all had a fab Xmas and enjoyed every minute of it! 

Back up and running...after a great day yesterday. 

Intended to run intervals on Tuesday night but end up falling out with my Garmin out on the street in front of neighbours. Never pretty. But none the less got out for a run on Xmas eve. Very strange looks from most people I past as they were obviously on their way to a pub or party, then there was me in my luminous orange jacket puffing and panting around Bromley. WK2 D2 - ended up running a split pace 6m. 1m at 9:30mmp, 3m at 8:30mmp and 2m at 9:30mmp (was meant to only be 5m but I once again misjudged my distance from home.

WK2 D4 - Today was therefore the interval session from Tuesday - It went much better than I though it would. Steady jog to the park 1m at 10:00mmp - needed to see how my body was feeling after the exertions of Xmas day. Felt pretty up for it. Ran a steady 1m at 9:30mmp then 10 intervals and recoveries. Speed work at over 200m at 6:20 - 7:00mmp then 2min recovery at av. 10:15mmp. The 200m intervals felt like they improved rep 5. The speed work seemed to flow more naturally, muscles obviously well warmed up by then. Recovery jog home 2m at 9:30mmp.

Was really pleased with this session, seemed to be one of the best so far.

Then got home and rustled up a recovery meal of bubble & squeak and cold roast turkey!

Hardest session of the day was without a doubt the walk round the block with two 2 year olds and their scooters!

Enjoy the rest of your Boxing Day folks, did anyone get any new gadgets etc to test out on a run today?

Jimage

• that walk with the scooters must have been painful...on the back as I seem to rememeber.......image

good work on getting out there.what were the individual splits for the 10 reps.....

i got my bike done today and running sunday a race.only 39 miles but it was lovely out

• I hope this makes sense for splits!

Split Time Distance Avg Pace                 1 :49.4 0.12 6:37         2 :48.4 0.12 6:30         3 :51.4 0.12 6:53         4 :48.7 0.12 6:32         5 :45.9 0.12 6:09         6 :50.2 0.12 6:44         7 :44.3 0.12 5:57         8 :46.3 0.12 6:13         9 :40.9 0.12 5:29         10 :43.2 0.12 5:48        
  • they seem nice and even James......and still strong at the end.image

• Hi James, glad you've had a great Christmas and executed a speed session on Boxing Day - impressive! We managed a group run with our club at 8am (we thought we'd get a half a dozen takers, but there were 18 people!) which involved racing around in pairs looking for polystyrene cups hidden in trees and on fenceposts that made up an anagram of the word mistletoe! It was fun and a lot less disciplined than a speed session! We're off to Devon for a few days now - packing the trail shoes and waterproofs!