My #asics262 Journey to Paris: Sub 4 James

Comments

• James, I tried the speed session on Boxing Day too, I can't say it was easy after eating copious amounts and drinking way too much wine on Xmas day (we're going to try the dry Jan so am stocking up)!  It felt good to get out and run some of it off though.  I find it hard to track my splits though as I have a really old garmin that I secretly hope will die so I can buy a new one with all the bells and whistles but it just keeps going.....

Keep up the good work!

• did  a fun 5 miler with club today.but my legs felt dead,i have been thinking about doing entering a 5 mile race on sunday just for vets,,,,,,,,,to try and get a fast time but my legs felt so tired today.......not sure it is worth the entry fee for sunday

• Evening all. Had another day of combating technical malfunctions. Went to go for an easy cycle only for my 4 ride tubeless tyre to have blown. Pain in the backside for anyone who has ever changed a tubeless tyre. After many expletives opted for an easy 6miles http://connect.garmin.com/activity/420129323 . It was the best option otherwise I could have not ended up out at all.

Seren - a good cycle on Thursday, if the weather was as good as it was here I am sure it was amazing. Have you got over the flu now, probably the tail end of the bug adding to the dead legs + the weekly mileage you have hit this week. Surely you're not old enough to be racing vets.image

Sophie - Sounds like your Boxing day run felt how I though mine would go! The ways I get my splits to work is to create a workout on Garmin Connect and send it to my watch. I guess some models don't have that facility. Great when it works and I have checked my reps, infuriating when it doesn't and you end up sending garbage to the watch. I have managed the later twice in the last 2 weeks.

Sam - sounds like you have taken up a new form of adventure racing... Glad the splits get your approval. Enjoy Devon, probably need to add a canoe to the least of items to take!

Tomorrow is a rest day, although we are entertaining once again. My juggling act has definitely improved over this festive period! Sunday os long off road run - 12 miles - it is like a swamp round here. Should make for an exhausting session! 

• James ...hello and well done on your selection. Sorry I was not able to attend bootcamp and introduce myself in person (that will have to wait until January...don't listen to what others say I am not that scary....).

I do hope your mum & brother recover well and you managed to enjoy xmas with your twin boys, 2 is a demanding age!

I will be on the forums a couple of times a week usually a Sunday or Monday and a Thursday or Friday. 

Hello to everyone following James ...looking forward to all the posts. 

• Hi Ruth.....I have been told by the doctor that i have to give up the diet coke because of the caffeine..I don't drink any hot drinks......any ideas on what to drink that doesn't add on the calories........as water gets a bit boring

James when i started running in 2005 I was shocked to find i was already a veteran image

I struggle enough changing a normal tyre

• Hi- as an "inbetween" paced runner- my best marathon is 3:56- a couple of years back, now, and more typically I go at around 4:20 pace. I am training for a double marathon in april.

I have tried to work out the recommended paces for both you and isabel- and see if either set suit me, and I nearly died today trying to do a threshold run at 12.6kph (just over 7.35mm)-although those paces were calculated at the beginning, I don't see them used in that format in your plan-  do you ever actually do a threshold pace run? if so- how far is it ( I was pretty much finished after 1km!). It seems more like the "tempo" style runs are done at HMP- is that correct?

I am oficially confused.

• Seren, I drink a lot of water with lime juice in it (or lemon), adds enough flavour to get over the boredom. Elderflower cordial is good too!

• thanks rachel. i bought some lime for christmas.  sounds a good idea

Hope all  is well at home James....

as it was so icy I decided not to go and race a 5 miler today.was hoping for a PB but not wortyh the money with so much ice.

so went off road for a hilly 5.5 miler with my hubby image

• James how did the 12 go? Any1 any advice on trail shoes. I'm doing the rough n tumble 10 in a few weeks and apparently they're essential!
  • Evening,

another busy day, started really well with a solid 12 miles this morning http://connect.garmin.com/dashboard?cid=26615476

On and off road as the trail were so muddy had to be a bit creative in getting the mileage in. Kept an ave. pace of 9:35 which felt comfortable the whole way. Through in a fast 7th mile to spice things up a bit!

Feet feel like they have had a tough week! Even over Xmas I have managed to shed a few lbs which is always a bonus.

Jimage

• EastEndJogger - I have always run in Salomon - most of the winter season I will use these http://www.salomon.com/uk/product/speedcross-3-cs.html. They seem to be fairly indestructible and my pair I have now had for coming up 2 years. The CS version are waterproof, much more comfortable in our winters!

J

• Hi Seren,

everything is alright here but we have had a stream of visitors for the last 48hrs but have had a rest day on Sat which helped. Today's run was great, amazing weather, partly off road, perfect. Again ran it a ave pace of 9:35, seem to be comfortable around this for my longer runs. Feet do hurt today, feel like I have somehow bruised a toe which isn't particularly comfortable at the moment.

ps. I always drink water with a slice of lime or add a fruit tea bag to my water bottle. Some may think that is fairly strange but it keeps me drinking. 

• Hi Ruth, 

thanks for your note. All seems to be going well here. Have managed to control my diet over Xmas, which some may call a small miracle. I am a food lover but keen to drop my weight a bit for the marathon. Weighing in at 79.5kg at the mo, have lost over a kg since we were weighed 3 weeks ago, always great over Xmas.

I am always hungry which is a problem I have developed since training for the half IM last year!

J

• Hi Tricialitt,

the pace work came into my interval training this week. 10x200m intervals at mile pace. My splits are on a couple of pages back. I am sure this will be built on as the programme progresses.

J

• Adrian,

welcome. We can share our pain together! Do ask if you have any questions!

J

• Angela,

Have you got to 1000 yet??????

J

• Looking at the paces more carefully, it seems that "threshold" isn't meant to be the same as tempo- I always get this confused, anyway, I suspec that my tempo runs are meant to be at more like 11.7kph (8.14mm), not 12.7kph!- no wonder I felt a tad knackered.

Hope your toe is OK- are you using your new shoes for all your runs?- Is that a change of footwear for you?- if so, I wonder if they are a tiny bit small, if the are causing toe pain?

• James 

Would you mind posting a food diary for the next few days.. I know new year won't help but try and write your usual breakfast and variations of this, usual mid morning snacks, lunch, mid afternoon, dinner and before bed etc ...try and be as honest as you can otherwise my advice will not be helpful. I will be back on this Thursday but need something to start from and food diaries help me see what foods you like and a snap shot of your day to day eatingimage. Hope you have a lovely new year. 

• seren nos wrote (see)

Hi Ruth.....I have been told by the doctor that i have to give up the diet coke because of the caffeine..I don't drink any hot drinks......any ideas on what to drink that doesn't add on the calories........as water gets a bit boring

The PH of these fizzy drinks are about 2 and that means acid on your teeth - really really bad for eroding the enamel on your teeth so best to exclude from diet, you must be drinking a lot for the doctor to be concerned about the caffeine content? Would you have hot diluting juice or a no added sugar cordial to drink ...hot or cold? Water is the best but adding a flavoured drink with low sugar would be ok..... I think once you stop having the diet coke for a few weeks you may be surprised you want it less...give it a go.....  

• WK3 D1 - Easy run 6m ave. 9.01mmp. This may have been a bit fast but the weather was so bad I may have subconsciously been trying to get home quicker. The old feet seemed better, I am sure it is probably linked to breaking in the new shoes over the last few weeks.

Tricia - threshold is not sustainable for any long period of time, flat out for a short period over a shorter distance. I think same said this is this pace that you really can't hold any sort of conversation! Toe is ok. I have had this before, it feels like a bit of bruising but then goes again. I am sure it will come and go over the next few months.

• Hi Ruth,

what a couple for days to keep a food diary! what I will do is put things down for these two days but we out out for both days so the content might be fairly unusual!

What I will do though is also add a typical weekend meal plan and a weekday meal plan. The weekday is important for me as it incorporates a school dinner. We are well fed at our school with plenty of alternatives on offer. I would usually take the salad option. Will put this all down in my diary.

Have a great NY. image

• good long run james. was supposed do do 12mile run today but was so windy did 10.5mile @ 8:34 m/m. speeded up last 1.5 miles which lowered the average m/m.

what distance are you doing for this weeks long run?

• Ashley, the wind was tough going yesterday. I was ok for part of the run and then turned a corner and was hit by driving rain and strong winds. Not much fun. Glad I got my long run in on Sunday when the weather was great. This week's long run is 13m. First 7m very easy and the last 6m easy. Quite glad that there is a change of paced involved in this week's run.

• Today's run look like this for all you early birds.

6M of 1M jog, then 3 x 1M or 1600m at 10km pace (approx 7.20), with 400m in 3 minutes jog recoveries, then 1M jog.

Standing in the kitchen, it may be dark outside but I can still hear that wind above the children tearing around!

• your runs are definitely faster than mine James.9 min miling easy image.I wish.

and 3 miles at 7:20........no way for me at the moment..

if you keep injury free you are going to smash the 4 hr  and be running with malcs.image

• Morning,

have been feeling active today and squeezed my run in early in-between child care duties. So, today it was WK3 D2 - Intervals - I have to admit, i like these sessions.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/422142131

Seren - never having run the longer distances I just home I can sustain the necessary pace. Today's session felt great. Let me know what you think of the splits. Maybe be a while till i'm running with Malcs! I can always dream.

Jimage

• that is impressive splits there James.........I was pleased with my session yesterday where I did  a fast timed 5k in the middle of my 7 mile run.......24:21 was my 3 rd fastest 5k ever and the other 2 were 3 years ago when i was running well and got my sub 

but that meant 7:49 pace.....not the 7 minute miles you were managing image

• Great interval session James, and a sub 7 on the last, got to be pleased with that