My #asics262 Journey to Paris: Sub 4 James

Comments

• Hiya James, sorry not been on here for a few days.  My sister was married on Sarturday and it was my fiance's 30th birthday so lots and lots of partying and family time.  I finally made it to 1000 miles today by doing a 10 mile run in driving rain.  I missed my 6 mile race pace run, so did 10 today with miles at 8:30, then 9:00 then 9:30 and cycling through them.  Was a tough run,but I think that was more because of the rain!  Do you know your total mileage for the year? I'm thinking of upping my goal to 1250 for 2014

• Happy New Year James, and everyone else on the thread! The rain is beating down outside, and not looking like it's going to stop, but will go out and some point for an easy run with my OH - our New Year's Day tradition!

James, would be great if you could send me your report on week 2 (stats/splits/what you actually did...). It's a bit tricky to keep track of by following on the thread.

I know you've been struggling a bit with the cycling - please don't worry about it - I only put it in there because you specifically requested 2 days a week cycling in order to fulfill your work commute - but if it isn't viable (and I certainly don't blame you in these conditions!) then you can replace it with other cross training options (eg swimming or the strength circuit, or we could think about adding in an additional easy run.

I am marvelling at you having LOST weight over Christmas! Very impressive image I don't think my scales will be saying the same when I climb on them tomorrow! But I did manage a 3-hr run in Devon with over 2500 ft of climb so I must have earned at least some of those choccies I've been eating...

• There was a question a while back about threshold and tempo (sorry to whoever asked it - I tried to do that 'quote' thing, but it hasn't worked.)

These terms are often used interchangably and there isn't really an official definition of what they are. For example, I've seen elite runners talk about doing a 20 mile tempo run, which, by my definition, isn't physically possible, since I abide by the Jack Daniels version (also used by coaches Greg McMillan, Martin Yelling) which is that your tempo pace equates to the pace you could sustain for around an hour under race conditions. For most, that is somewhere between 10k and 10 mile race pace. For the elites it is nearer to half marathon pace. It should feel 'comfortably hard'.

I do tend to do distinguish threshold from tempo, because I see the former as long intervals (such as mile reps) and tempo as a sustained effort. I'll set the pace a few seconds faster per mile for the threshold than for the tempo, as the brief recoveries between efforts allow for a little recovery, so you can work that bit harder. They both have a place in marathon training in my opinion. 

The classic pace guideline for tempo/threshold is 5-15 seconds SLOWER than 10k place. But, as I was saying on Gareth's thread in response to Seren Nos yesterday, advice designed for elite training cannot always be usefully extrapolated for us mere mortals! I find that the closer your 10k time is to 1 hour, the more similar your threshold/tempo pace should be to your 10k pace, if not exactly the same. So for example, if someone's 10k pace was 1 hr 2 mins, I would make their threshold intervals at 10k race pace while if there 10k time was 45 mins, I would make it 5-10 secs slower per mile than their 10k pace. (Or, just to thoroughly confuse those who aren't already... I might set them close to 10k pace but then give them very long recoveries between. It all depends on what they are training for and what their individual strengths and weaknesses are. That's why an individually tailored training programme is exactly that - individual!)

• Hi Ruth,

This is my food diary for the 31st of December and the 1st of January. A fairly eclectic mix of food.

31st December:

Breakfast – Bowl of muesli with semi skimmed milk

Lunch – Miso soup

Dinner – Spinach pasta and fresh pesto.

Drinks – 4-5 pints of water & 3 cups of black coffee with half a sugar.

Snacks – Smoked salmon sandwich on brown bread.

1st January:

Breakfast – 2 slices of toast with marmite and peanut butter – it does go well together.

Lunch – Homemade minestrone soup.

Dinner – Thai red curry, stir fried vegetable with cashew nuts, brown basmati rice

Drinks – 3-4 pints of water, 2 cups of black coffee with half a sugar, one cup of tea with milk.

Snacks – 3 slices of malt loaf.

Typical work day:

Breakfast – Bowl of muesli or a cinnamon and raisin bagel

Lunch – Salad with either a meat or fish preferably without a sauce. Baked potato or some pasta.

Dinner – Varies – meat & veg, pasta & salad – something that is quick to put together

Drinks – 3-4 pints of water, 3 cups of black coffee + half a sugar

Snacks – 2 bananas + 2 apples.

Hope this helps, look forward to hearing your verdict! 

• I am glad today has been a rest day - it would have been a full water proofs run if I had needed to go out. I can't remember the last time it rained like this.

Sam - thanks for your message. I have emailed you the run down of the week's activities with splits. Once I am back to work I would hope to pick the cycling up again, if the weather permits!

Stewart - thanks for your comment, I was really chuffed with Tuesday's run. Was one of the best in a while!

Angela - You have been busy! I hope your sister's wedding was a huge success and your other half's 30th, you must be partied out. What a few weeks. Congrats on hitting your 1000mile mark, that is impressive going. Mine finished at 971 miles, will def be higher this year as last year incorporated loads of bike work rather as well as the running. Not sure what my realistic target would be for this year? Will give it a think. You'll be good for 1250!

• Thanks James!! Yes I did a bit of cycling this summer as I did ride London Surrey 100, don't enjoy cycling anywhere near as much as running though, so I hope that will make getting in some extra miles on my feet easier- I am signed up to do 4 marathons this year image. do you have any racing plans after Paris?  Do you think you'll be doing multisport in summer? Or sticking to the running?

• This is what this week currently looks like as I have had to make a couple of changes as I am in charge of the children for the next few days!

WEEK THREE w/c 30 Dec (approx 30M)
    Mon 6M Easy Run

Tue 6M of 1M jog, then 3 x 1M or 1600m at 10km pace (approx 7.20), with 400m in 3 minutes jog recoveries, then 1M jog

Wed  REST

Thu 5M progression run – starting at slower than 9 minute miles and each mile faster with last two miles above 8 min mile pace.

Fri REST

Sat 6M easy

Sun 13M  (First 7M very easy, last 6M easy) 

Is that the sun I see in the sky?image

• Thanks for the explanation about the threshold/ tempo confusion-that was me- I think the problem is that terms are used so differently by different writers.

• Happy New Year James and well done on the training over the Xmas break.  I ran Tues' interval session on NYE and I found it really tough!!  Having done very little speedwork for a while, I found it hard to maintain a 10k pace.  I don't think running into the wind helped though (or all the mince pies).  I think your speed sessions are going to be the most beneficial to follow as I find those the hardest to plan.

I looked back at my training diary and realised I only ran 370 miles in 2013!!  I think I cycled far more though as I trained for, and cycled London to Paris and took up swimming.  I think 2014 is going to be a much bigger run year!

Keep up the good work!

• James.do you get a warm up and cool down mileage to go with that 5m progressive run......

I did my long run today.......11.5 miles.faster than i normally would as I did it with my hubby as he was off work.......He ran slower than normal and i ran quicker a s a compromise image

• Hi James

Thanks for sending week 2 over - am aware that the mileage was made higher by substituting a cycle for a run - equalling 33 instead of 27. Similarly for week 3, it becomes 36, not 30. This isn't necessarily a problem but it is quite a considerable hike on to what you were doing prior to the programme (which is what led me to set the mileage fairly low). Do you feel happy with this additional mileage? Or do you feel you are doing considerably more running than in a while? Any fatigue, niggles? You could 'compromise' by substituting any bike rides that aren't viable with a shorter run, perhaps? But I know you start back at work next week, so if if it's just a matter of these last 2 weeks, then we can just leave as is.

• Well today's progression run was pretty tough. I think my route was badly chosen as the later half of the was mostly up hill. Bad planning, a fleeter route would have been more forgiving.

WK3 D4 - Progression run - 5m + 0.5m warm up & cool down.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/423315783 

Have also been left in charge of the twins for the next 48hrs... I can hear them crashing around upstairs as I write this. Not sure which is harder, training for a marathon or looking after 2 year old twins. Full credit to my wife who does this full time!

• Sophie - good to see you back up and running. My training plan left little room for putting my feet up. Has to have been one of the busiest and healthiest Xmas and New Year in a very long time! I have not really done much speed work in the past but as a young lad I had concentrated a lot more on shorter distances. Therefore, the speed sessions suit me quite well.

I wouldn't worry too much about last year's mileage, your running wasn't the main focus because of London to Paris. I got my mileage from training for the HIM and running to work (a bid to cut down on petrol).

After April, I will look to a few Olympic distances over the early summer and then possible the Castle Triathlon Gauntlet at Hever Caste later in Aug/Sept. Will keep the running going as it is my favourite discipline and the easiest to do without loads of kit!

• Seren - I took a .5m warm up and cool down either side of the session today. It actually was nearer 1m cool down as I felt it needed to be a bit longer.

A good long run today. Probably the best day to do it this week judging by the forecast. Think I may get gown away on my 13m on Sunday.

Mrs Carroll and I don't run together, i'd love to but she has never been keen. She came to running a little later than I did and is still building confidence  in her ability. She shouldn't worry, she ran a 1hr 10k and the Richmond Women's run in October. I was there to support and was really impressed as it was her first competitive run, ever. 

• Hi Sam,

I am more than happy with the additional mileage, fatigue hasn't been an issue but my feet have been somewhat sorer than usual. Middle toe on left foot has been tender at times. Not stubbed or anything like that. This isn't anything new and doesn't cause any discomfort whilst running, just after. Has been better the last few days. When you say a shorter run, how short are we talking and at what sort of pace? I aim to be back on the bike as of next week, the day may need to be flexible but I will aim to have at least one cycle on a weekday. The only thing that will stop this is the weather, in which case I would put in the short...run.

Jimage

• I was running a year or two before i got my hubby to start running.it only took about 4 months before he was quicker than me......but he will run with me on the occasions that we get a chance......

you managed a pretty fast last mile again today.you speed is definitely good......image

• and working is defintley easier than looking after toddlers. I had 3 in 3 years....and one of them was extremely hard work. (still is image).....I used to work one day a week to get a rest....

•  

James Carroll 78 wrote (see)

Hi Ruth,

Typical work day:

Breakfast – Bowl of muesli or a cinnamon and raisin bagel

Lunch – Salad with either a meat or fish preferably without a sauce. Baked potato or some pasta.

Dinner – Varies – meat & veg, pasta & salad – something that is quick to put together

Drinks – 3-4 pints of water, 3 cups of black coffee + half a sugar

Snacks – 2 bananas + 2 apples.

Hope this helps, look forward to hearing your verdict! 

Hi James

Could you give me a little more of your weight history? you really do not appear to eat very much unless your lunch and dinners are very large? It  would  perhaps be  better to eat a larger mid morning snack and afternoon snack and perhaps reduce lunch and evening meals as you may struggle as training progresses leaving large gaps of times between meals.

You do have enough energy at 5pm or do you feel like you really badly need food towards end of run? What time of day do you typically run at? what time is your lunch  and what time is your evening meal...just trying to figure out your day a little more so sorry for all the questions!

• Hi Ruth,

weight history, that is quite interesting. Up until 2010 I lived in Dubai and lived a life of eating and drinking well. I was exercising at the time but mainly weights, vanity was as an issue when spending a lot of time on the beach. In July 2010 I moved back to the UK weighing around 90kg. The December of that year I hurt my back in the gym and decided to move away from weight training for good. Best thing I ever did. That is when I began to run and swim as an alternative. By December 2011 I was nearer 84kg. In July 2012, I decided I was going to compete in the Ironman 70.3 in June 2013. During the following months I dropped to 78kg up until the race. I have since fluctuated between 79kg and 80kg.

With regards to eating, lunch is never huge but I do tend to eat a large dinner at around 7pm. Probably too big if I am honest. However, I get up at 5:15am most days and do my training then, so all wrapped up by 7:15am. I will then eat breakfast after that. I have never felt desperately hungry during morning training. I am not great at training late in the day. As a teacher I find myself on my feet an awful lot during the day and the thought of then training when works end is never appealing. 

What would a mid morning and afternoon snack look like? I tend to eat fruit as it is always easy to pick up form the dining hall.

Does this help?

James

• There was a question a while back about threshold and tempo (sorry to whoever asked it - I tried to do that 'quote' thing, but it hasn't worked.)

These terms are often used interchangably and there isn't really an official definition of what they are. For example, I've seen elite runners talk about doing a 20 mile tempo run, which, by my definition, isn't physically possible, since I abide by the Jack Daniels version (also used by coaches Greg McMillan, Martin Yelling) which is that your tempo pace equates to the pace you could sustain for around an hour under race conditions. For most, that is somewhere between 10k and 10 mile race pace. For the elites it is nearer to half marathon pace. It should feel 'comfortably hard'.

I do tend to do distinguish threshold from tempo, because I see the former as long intervals (such as mile reps) and tempo as a sustained effort. I'll set the pace a few seconds faster per mile for the threshold than for the tempo, as the brief recoveries between efforts allow for a little recovery, so you can work that bit harder. They both have a place in marathon training in my opinion. 

The classic pace guideline for tempo/threshold is 5-15 seconds SLOWER than 10k place. But, as I was saying on Gareth's thread in response to Seren Nos yesterday, advice designed for elite training cannot always be usefully extrapolated for us mere mortals! I find that the closer your 10k time is to 1 hour, the more similar your threshold/tempo pace should be to your 10k pace, if not exactly the same. So for example, if someone's 10k pace was 1 hr 2 mins, I would make their threshold intervals at 10k race pace while if there 10k time was 45 mins, I would make it 5-10 secs slower per mile than their 10k pace. (Or, just to thoroughly confuse those who aren't already... I might set them close to 10k pace but then give them very long recoveries between. It all depends on what they are training for and what their individual strengths and weaknesses are. That's why an individually tailored training programme is exactly that - individual!)

• Today's run will now be tomorrow as I have had the children all day. Mrs C is back tomorrow! Hoooooray.

Easy 5m tomorrow. 

Purchased a lacrosse ball as a cheaper alternative to other massage balls for my foot. Has worked a treat! Have been rolling it under my foot regularly throughout the day, seems to have relieved some of the niggles. Will need to keep it in my pocket from now on!

Back to work on Monday after an interesting Xmas. Has been amazing but it a different way from Xmas' past. Being back at work will mean that the training will be more regularly in the early morn and fitting bike sessions should be easy, if the weather permits!

Have a great Friday night all!

• Sam: Does the 'Jack Daniels' version mean running fast with a glass in hand topped to the brim with JD, ice and coke? The object of which being to run at a good paste and not tip any? Sounds like a good method.

Thanks for explaining though - interesting to see if defined in text.

• WK3 D6 - Easy 5m - Mrs C is back from her break, normality can resume.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/424501396

• James, a good run today, have you got a  long run tomorrow?

• Hi Stewart,

Today's was nice and steady. This is what tomorrow looks like:

WK3 D7 - 3M  (First 7M very easy, last 6M easy) Going to run into London from where I live.

Should be a good end to some pretty grim training weather this week! Have you got your long run tomorrow?

• I do I'm doing 18 with 10 @ MP, the weather up here hasn't been too bad nothing like the SW of the country, hope your long run goes well tomorrow image

• hi james,

have decided to match you for your long runs ( can't come close for rest of week) so will be doing 13m @ mara pace. good luck for tomorow

• StewartC wrote (see)

I do I'm doing 18 with 10 @ MP, the weather up here hasn't been too bad nothing like the SW of the country, hope your long run goes well tomorrow image

wow that's long !! wich marathon are you doing?

• Lisa123Lisa123 ✭✭✭

Hi James just found this thread, took me a while image

I have very similar times to your PB's so will be following this thread with interest. I too am now into tri's following getting a stress fracture earlier this year whilst training for Chester Marathon which basically forced me into alternatives whilst I wasn't able to run.

I am currently following P&D 55mpw but am feeling that it is not quite manageable with my swimming and cycling as well, as already feeling shattered so may swap plans.

Good luck with it, and stick to the paces recommended as this was my downfall and cause of injury - trying to build endurance at too fast a pace!!

edited to say I have no idea why my smiley face still has a santa hat on!

• Hi James, good luck with your marathon journey! 

I will be watching and getting all the advice I can as I am also doing a spring marathon, London the week after Paris. 

you seem to have a lot of support on hare and a busy thread already. 

Thanks SamMurphy for confusing me with regards to the threshold/tempo runs. I am now not sure if I should be running my mile intervals slower than I have been?