My #asics262 journey to Paris: Sub-3 Roger

1202122232426»

Comments

• I did London yesterday in 2:53:35. Big new PB which is pleasing but for my 3rd marathon attempt but a lesson about the dangers of the 26.2 distance. Training and prep races have gone pretty well, but was perhaps being pretty optimistic setting myself a 2:45 target. Ran the first half in 1:21:41, and did feel comfortable until mile 20 (there in about 2:05 giving myself 40 minutes for the last 10k) but the wheels came off big time at mile 21 without too much warning, had to go into survival mode to get to the finish over the last 5 miles. Finished badly dehydrated and suffering from heatstroke, and was treated to a little lie down in the medical tent. Whoops!

• Well done Cookbox, great to hear you had a good race and a really good time considering your setbacks. How are the legs today?

Well done Andy bye, a great time and wow 1.21,41 first half the second half must have been painfulThanks for letting us know how you got on. I really enjoy to post race stories as we can really learn from them.

Well done all I hope you are all happy with the result you got. It has been an absolute privilege and a pleasure being part of this community over the last 3 months.
  • How did everyone else get on?
  • Legs are feeling surprisingly good thanks Roger! Had a sports massage last night, and she said she would never have been able to tell I'd run a marathon the day before! Which tells me I obviously wasn't working hard enough.

As I've said, it was my first London marathon, so apologies if you've all seen this little feature before, but I thought it was pretty nifty:

http://www.runpix4.com/arace8/08/lon14/dge.php?

My proudest stat from my own overview: "Over final 7.2km, you passed 535 runners, and 1 passed you".

Congrats on the big PB Andy - although not the most comfortable of experiences! What do you think happened, not taking on enough fluid before/during the race? Or just a bit too keen in the first half? Like Roger said, it's useful to learn from others' experiences.

• Well done Andy V and Andy B & Cookbox.

Unfortunately, not the same for me in Manchester and came in 3.14.44.
    Was going well and through halfway in 1.30.10 and then to 20 in 2.18.34. But then hit the wall at 21 and the last 5 miles were very painful with cramp etc.

I'll have to see where I'm at in the Autumn to whether I do another marathon next spring. Going to work on my 5k, 10k and times over the next few months as I thikn that is key to any improvements.

• Sorry to hear KR, that was always what happened to me previously. I think Ruth's carb load made a big difference. As this was the first marathon I had energy all the way through and ran fastest at the end. How was your nutrition, hydration and perhaps you needed some electrolytes? I took one electrolyte tab the night before and one first thing on the morning to make sure I was hydrated and not going to cramp.

Don't give up. Think of it as a learning experience. Good luck with the speedwork
  • Had a brilliant and very enjoyable VLM with. 5 min PB at 3.13, so next year I'll start the long road of chipping away towards 3 hours.So good to hear everyone's experiences - lots of great times and here's to next year!
  • Cookbox wrote (see)

Legs are feeling surprisingly good thanks Roger! Had a sports massage last night, and she said she would never have been able to tell I'd run a marathon the day before! Which tells me I obviously wasn't working hard enough.

As I've said, it was my first London marathon, so apologies if you've all seen this little feature before, but I thought it was pretty nifty:

http://www.runpix4.com/arace8/08/lon14/dge.php?

My proudest stat from my own overview: "Over final 7.2km, you passed 535 runners, and 1 passed you".

Congrats on the big PB Andy - although not the most comfortable of experiences! What do you think happened, not taking on enough fluid before/during the race? Or just a bit too keen in the first half? Like Roger said, it's useful to learn from others' experiences.

I think combination of factors led to me hitting the wall. One of the main things I'm going to blame was dehydration as although it wasn't a scorching day it was fairly warm on Sunday especially when in the sunshine, and although there was no shortage of water on route for some reason I didn't feel like it was absorbing into body very well and just seemed to be sloshing around the stomach/making me feel a bit nauseous. Perhaps this was due to nerves, or perhaps not drinking enough on my training runs, so ill try and practice that more, but also in hindsight I wish Id taken an electrolyte tablet and stuck it in a water bottle to dissolve.

The other main factor was obviously the pace I was attempting which obviously stretched me a bit too far. I did feel (fairly) comfortable pretty much right until my legs went pop, but obviously not comfortable enough. I had thought I would get a few more warning signs, and reckoned on more of a gradual slowing, but that's a good lesson for me, and think in the future ill be better served by running more conservatively. I am not too put off by the whole experience and now its a few days later can still say I enjoyed it, but wouldn't want to repeat that last 5 miles.

• Miss Kovich wrote (see)
    Had a brilliant and very enjoyable VLM with. 5 min PB at 3.13, so next year I'll start the long road of chipping away towards 3 hours.So good to hear everyone's experiences - lots of great times and here's to next year!

Well done, great race 5 min is huge!

• Well my friends the time has come for another asics 26.2 runners world team to be picked. It was an amazing experience and I highly recommend it. Get your entries in make the stand out by being a bit witty and get to boot camp I will see you there!

Ps I have had 5 wins, 2 seconds, 1 third(1st vet) and 2 fourths this year on the back of the training and advice I received from Steve and Ruth and the team.
  • Well my friends the time has come for another asics 26.2 runners world team to be picked. It was an amazing experience and I highly recommend it. Get your entries in make the stand out by being a bit witty and get to boot camp I will see you there!

Ps I have had 5 wins, 2 seconds, 1 third(1st vet) and 2 fourths this year on the back of the training and advice I received from Steve and Ruth and the team.

• Enter now for the next Asic's Runners world Paris marathon challenge.

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/target262/