My #asics262 journey to Paris: Sub-3 Roger

Comments

• Great to hear your running is going well speedy goth and Steve. I managed my 16 by 200m today, found a little stretch of road with traction/no snow, not flat mind, but all went well and I didn't get run over or slip on any ice so all is good. Then about 5-6 hours of skiing so all in I am getting some good exercise/altitude training with lots of hill training. 

• Where are you Roger? Sounds exotic. 

• Today's plan was ruined by ice, so just 12 very slow miles for me. Yah boo sucks. 

• I was running well yesterday on hills but today was poor at parkrun and can't blame it all on the mud - think Roger is in ski resort
  • Plenty of tough hill reps for Roger then! 

It looks icy out again today, so I'm betting this morning's Woodlawn Fun Run will be run on the beach rather than on the paths. Once again, no tempo session is likely to be possible. Ah well. It's only week 1 and you can only work with what the weather gives you! I suppose I could go to the gym instead, but the treadmills only run for an hour so I'd have to stop and start anyway. Besides, the beach will be a good workout.

• I saw a result for Woodlawn and saw it was a high quality women's race and looked like it was road. I did very slow 11 miles today but no excuse of ice - just felt awful and did it just to get some miles in.

• Hi, sounds like the weather is aweful in England, you guessed it I am lucky enough to be in the French alps for some skiing. Forgive the infrequent posts, the wifi here is terrible, even when I do get on it often won't let me post?? I had a day of on Christmas Day , I had a headcold ( never usually get sick, so a bit of a surprisesaw snowed all day Christmas so when I woke up on Boxing Day it was white out, poor visibility and the roads I found were all covered in snow, I also was still not feeling great, so I skipped it. Today I found a beautiful snow covered footpath to the top of a mountain, bit loose underfoot, like running on sand, 13.30 min/mile uphill and I think 8.00s coming down, then a great big French dog tried to bite my hand off, then if you had been there you would have seen some speed work. Still worth it for the beautiful views from the top as the sky turned crimson, that is what running is all about, awesome, awesome, hopefulily I can do it a few more times while I am here. Later

• Steve - yes, they managed to run it on the paths. The tide was in so they had no choice. They went around in a van throwing sand down for a good hour beforehand and it really wasn't too bad at all. So I attempted marathon pace. It came out a little too fast at 6.40s but the effort level was rather too high. I didn't know there were any results, I was under the impression it was an untimed fun run, but I did spot Aly Dixon there.

Roger - altitude training, nice! 

• Hi Roger, 

Congratulations on your selection. Sorry I was unable to attend bootcamp and introduce myself in person. I am Ruth the Asics Pro Team Nutritionist and I am here to answer any questions about nutrition and running! I will be on the forums a couple of times a week (usually Sunday or Monday and Thursday or Friday. Look forward to hearing from you when you are back in the UK.

Big hello to Steve and the usual suspects...looking forward to all the posts.

• Hi Ruth

CC2 - yes Dixon ran but was well beaten second woman. the result I saw was sent into AW and had top 8 women at 20:32 so guess you must have been ninth or tenth?

Roger - good you have got some running in and hope the headcold clears up.

The weather today was windy but not that bad that they should have cancelled all the trains around London and struggled to get to the Serpentine 5k today but not as much as I struggled to run fast - first mile was 15 seconds slower than my cross-country race last week.

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

I think you'll find Aly Dixon was using it as a paced run rather than a race hence being well beaten.image 

• That's my excuse too Minni! There was a woman right in front of me, so no higher than 10th. Today however I was 1st lady at Newcastle Parkrun. I was aiming for HMP and it came out at 6.28s. I'm getting used to the course and the wind there so now I know where I need to put in a spurt to make up for the exposed bits into the headwind.

• Good parkrun cc2. I ran to my local parkrun (4 miles) then planned a MP run. Misjudged my run there and got to the park to see it had already started by 1.5 minutes , but managed to weave round others to average 6.45 pace; so I guess it worked out ok in the end. Then 4 miles home took it to 11 mile for the day.
  • MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Speedy - yes the course is better when you know it. I always hate the bit towards the end of mile two where there's a slight incline and the path's not ideal then you tend to hit the wind just after. 

Nice one today. I see one of my club mates was 3rd lady with a pb and two of our guys were something like 2nd and 4th.   

20 bagged for me today. 

• Knight Rider - I've made that mistake before too! Like you, I tagged on at the end and weaved my way through, which isn't such a bad thing if you're incorporating it as part of a longer run, as it helps you keep the speed in check!

A good hills session this morning for me, and a steady 12-miler on the menu tomorrow to finish off week one of my programme.

• well done on parkrun win CC2 and good mileage Minni and good sessions Cookbox and KR

I did 16 as main run at reasonable pace for me and then extra 3 mile jog to get to gym and back - wasn't too tired considering did a parkrun and 7.5M cross-country yesterday - consider them both paced as per Aly Dixon rather than actually raced!

In my parkrun matched my christmas day time to the second though ran it differently and well over 2 minutes down on my best parkrun there.

• 18.56 for me today, which is the furthest I've run since mid-October. By the end me legs were killing me, but I'm blaming all the ruddy stairs we went up from the quayside to the Sage after 15 miles for that. 61 miles for week 1.

• Phew wifi signal, it is great to catchup and read how everyone is getting on, I'm jealous of the races, I love racing, looking forward to met league on my return. My running is a bit limited to snowed paths and lots of incline/decline, thick snow yesterday made the run a bit like running up and down sand dunes, but with freezing cold, still I am just glad to be getting out, I did about 7 miles only in 70 minutes with massively varying pace from 13- to 7 min miles. Still fun and beautiful views, ran over the mountain and through the pretty alpine villages the other side, a little Tarmac was a refreshing change. I will be interested to see the stats when I download my garmin on my return;) chat again when next have signal. Not looking forward to the big drive home.

• Hi Roger, travel home safe and will catch up later on in the week/when you are home.

Have a good new year everybody.  

• Roger

Hopefully you can catch up properly on the forum with what you have done etc in terms of training and eating when back in Britain.

I did a hill session today with training group of 20 - just about missed the rain but poured as we stopped and got wet on bike ride home. Very steep hill and pace very slow but felt strong except in last 40 metres each time of 10 x 80-85 second hills. Looking forward though to returning to track next week.

• Happy New Year everyone, I hope you are all feeling fresh and strong today. I will definitely get down my traing when I get the chance. Diet has been..... French, lots of white bread and cheese. Not been calorie counting! Sweets all day to keep me going, I know not good sorry Ruth. I will get better when I am back home. To a great years training and racing everyone. Peace love health and happiness
  • Home at last, I am downloading the garmin as I write this, My program has been messed up a bit due to being in the French alps, so I battled with the spead work and the longer runs. on a plus side, I got in runs on almost all the days, I got a LOT of hills (mountains) in and it was at altitude, so that has got to count for something. Thanks for keeping the thread going while I was AWOL with dodgy internet connections etc. For those of you keen to see what training  I have been up to you can hopefully see it soon an http://connect.garmin.com/dashboard  look for RogerReid.

• RUTH MCKEAN wrote (see)

Hi Roger, travel home safe and will catch up later on in the week/when you are home.

Have a good new year everybody.  

Hi Ruth, Thanks for making contact, I am home safe and sound thanks. I look forward to picking your brain a lot over the next few months

• Welcome back Roger, and a happy new year to all.

Roger, just curious if you've got many/any races lined up during the course of your training programme (or perhaps that's actually a question for Steve, I'm not sure...!)? I've got a 10km this Sunday which will serve mainly as an indicator of where I'm at and how much work is still to be done! But I assume you'll be looking at at least one HM somewhere along the line...?

• Hi Roger

Would be  interesting to hear about your previous marathons and your nutrition... what do you eat/drink  before & during a marathon.  Has there been any bad experiences of food during races etc?

Ruth

• Roger was looking at some races last week and definitely has some cross-country but not sure if he has entered the road races yet. It is a reasonably good idea to run a 10km to get an idea of fitness at this early stage - later on they do tend to compromise mileage but one is probably a good idea as a break from the mileage. Certainly Roger will aim for a fast half-marathon in March.

I did a slow parkrun in wet and windy conditions and got soaked getting there and back almost annoyingly, today was almost springlike and sunny and mild but this looks an one off day. Did a grass session with small group - was moving ok in short bursts but didn't feel as strong in endurance terms as Tuesday hill session.

• RUTH MCKEAN wrote (see)

Hi Roger

Would be  interesting to hear about your previous marathons and your nutrition... what do you eat/drink  before & during a marathon.  Has there been any bad experiences of food during races etc?

Ruth

Hi Ruth, my 'previous' nutrition plan
    hydrating for at least 2 days before.

Pasta the night before as well as a zero hydration salts

Morning of the race. bowl of porridge 2.5-3 hours before race and sipping hydration salts.

15 mins before race sip half a bottle of lucozade sport.

Race after 40 minutes take a high 5 isogel then another high 5 energy gel every 20 minutes. so usually 7 gels. i prefer these as they are less glupy thick and sweet. VLM i felt really acidic, legs  felt heavey from 20 miles, I think this was due to a bad taper, holiday, and not eating so well.

water is tricky, depends on bottles or cups, i usually have 2-3 sips every mile if they have stops that often.

• Hi Roger,

Thank for putting up your food schedule for a marathon - really helps marathon virgins like me.

• My Planned races:

Met league 8k cross country race 11/1/14

Watford half marathon 2/2/14 hilly hard training run

met league 8k cross country 8/2/14

Reading or bath half 2/3/14

Paris marathon 6/4/14