Jeff Galloway approach to R/W/R London Marathon 2014 -Help!

Comments

• Hi all, well I got to the end, slow but proud!!

I settled on 30/30 as my ratio, but didn't want to start using my timer from the start - partly to save watch battery, and partly to enable me to drink up the atmosphere.  And I had an idea of pace I didn't want to go faster than (14m/mi average, no less than 13:30 for any individual mile), so I started out counting 80 running steps (which is about 30s) and then walking until the pace got back up to 14.

I had a 4 minute wait for the loo at mile 4, loo again (but straight in) at mile 8, and for the first 10 miles averaged 14:20.  I'd got to about half way when I started feeling tired, and around mile 15 my legs were tight. I panicked slightly, as I wasn't sure that I could keep going for another 11 miles. Also, my Garmin was showing me as having run further than the course markers said, I guess because I wasn't sticking to the blue line on account of dodging round other runners. Perhaps RWR makes you do that more.

About mile 15 I decided to abandon watching my pace and just concentrate on doing RWR at the ratio I'd decided, so turned my alert on.  From about 18 it felt quite tough, and it was increasingly hard to start running when my Garmin went bip, but I did it.  I turned the timer off as I came past the Houses of Parliament, and ran the majority of the last km or so, finishing in 6:42:13.

I was tired, of course, and very stiff - but not that bad later on after a shower, and today I feel remarkably good!! Could I have gone quicker?  I think it's safe to say I could have done, but the main thing is that I wanted to finish, and finish running and smiling, and I did.  It was warm out there - I caught the sun despite wearing factor 30.

So, a week or so off running (but with plenty of gentle walking and stretching, and a swim if I can manage it), and we'll so where we go from there!  My Garmin reckons I ran 27.43 miles.

• What are you folks using for timing your intervals?

(I've done some RWR just checking my stopwatch - this works fine, but constant clock-watching really takes the fun out of my running. And I certainly don't want to be doing it on runs of 1h+ !)

Hoping the answer is something cheaper than a garmin ... :-/

• Well done all.

Still in London as we are celebrating hubby's 60th. I'll write a proper report when Iget back to my computer, just to say I really enjoyedthe race. I ran very conservatively as I'd had a shocking week: anemotional retirement and a terrible cough were not good prep.

I did a slow, but v comfortable 5:52:39. I loved every minute of it. It actually felt easier than my even slower 26 mile training run 2 weeks ago. Ihave no aches and pains at all today, just a bit of stiffness in my hip flexors. I can still skip up and down the stairs! My only injury is sunburn!

Believe it or not I did a negative ratio 10/30 and then 15/30 because I was so tired from my cough and lack of sleep. The only issue I had was the beginnings of cramp in my right quad in the v last 200yds going through the park. It went when I relevelled my pelvis.

Can't wait to do it again and improve my time. Will put adetailed report on tomorrow.

Would have liked a quicker time but there will be many more chances to do so.

Ps daughter did 3:40 and sun in law 3:56.They are both doinga good version of the John Wayne walk, absolute cripples. Liz says I am far too well and mustn't have tried hard enough. Lol
  • barbara and chris - fantastic!! 

Chris - so glad the cold didn't stop you from doing the marathon, and you still got sub-6 which is fantastic.

My legs are also fine today, yes a little achy but I can walk fine and go up and down stairs with no problem. My knees and hips are all fine image

I stuck to 20/30 ratio all the way. I'll post my report with splits in a bit!

• right, attempt at race report:

got up early, porridge, coffee and internet. Then run stuff on, sun cream and walked the half mile to the race start, chatted to a few random strangers while waiting and off we went. There was a half mara running at the same time, but probably only around 400 people altogether. I set off and quickly settled into my run/walk following the garmin beeps. It was warm and the first loop was fairly sheltered from wind. I think I ran the first mile a little fast (12:38) but managed to settle into a 13 min/mile pace. to make the 6 hour cut off I needed to average 13:44 pace, so was happy with 13 min miles and it felt ok. Had a gel at about mile 4, and OH and the kids were waiting for me outside the apartment at 8.5 miles with a banana. walked a little while I ate the banana and off up the other loop (it was a figure of eight course - had to do everything twice). The wind picked up which made things a bit tricky. Passed OH again at 12.5 miles, was handed another banana by OH and passed by the start/finish area where the half marathoners were finishing image mentally hard, but also good to know I was more than half way. I knew I was the last person at this point because everyone else that had been behind me were doing the half (we had chatted as we passed). Carried on, reached the end turning point at about 17 miles and knew that there wasn't a great deal left, but then it mentally became hard, because I knew that I had come a long way but there was still a long way to go. I knew OH and the kids would be there at mile 21.5 and this is what kept me going. Went past the finish area again at 21 miles, tough to go past it, and the guy following me on a bike (can't think of what they call them - back marker?) asked if I though I would finish in the cutoff as after 6 hours that is it. There were 5 miles left and I was 4:45 hours in, so I said I thought so. I had managed to keep up the running segments all the way even though I was slowing now and pace had slipped to around 14 min miles, but average pace for the whole run was around 13:30. Youngest lad was holding my banana out and OH took a photo image Off up the last loop - a pretty desolate area of the course and in the wind again. Finally reached the last turn point and knew that there were 2.5 miles left, I was going to finish and hopefully within the cut off

• ....just kept going, everything was starting to hurt, eventually got to where the kids were waiting to accompany me to the line, OH was waiting at the finish line. Lovely teenager pointed out that he was walking at the same pace that I was running, I pointed out that I had done 26 miles and I was entitled to be slow. Ran all the way to the finish! 6:00:55 (garmin time, not sure what chip time is yet) was handed a good bag with juice, crisps, chocy bar, a bottle of water and a little trophy as a finisher's memento. I was last but i made it! Emotion overcame me and I shed a little tear

a very very slow walk the half mile back to the apartment, everything hurt. Funny how the adrenaline had kept me going through the race but as soon as I reached the finish line it became almost impossible to move. OH had done well and brought to the finish line a litre bottle of choc milk, which I sipped as we walked back slowly. Up the 6 flights of steps to the apartment - that was painful!! Got OH to help me get shoes, bra etc off and got in the shower. Funny how even my arms and shoulders hurt and getting undressed seemed impossible.

OH and the kids went to get ice cream

• now, going to find the splits from garmin...

• so, I did 20/30 all the way. I just thought I needed a negative ratio because I had done 30/30 for the half marathons I have done recently and didn't think I could keep that pace going for the full marathon. There were a couple of times that I didn't hear/notice the garmin alert and I ended up running through the walk section, and a couple of times I walked through a run section if I was eating a banana!

mile 1: 12:38.4   mile 2: 13:09.6 mile 3: 12:57.3    (had a gel at about 3.5 miles) mile 4: 13:14.2 mile 5: 13:13.2 mile 6: 13:10.7 mile 7: 13:05.8  (another gel) mile 8: 13:40.1   (went to the loo) mile 9: 13:15.5  (got a banana from OH at 8.5 m) mile 10: 13:43.5 mile 11: 13:34.8

mile 12: 13:39.2 (head wind from here to about mile 17)

another banana from OH at 12.5m

mile 13: 14:06.8 mile 14: 13:21.5 mile 15: 14:01.3  feeling it now so another gel mile 16: 14:01.3 mile 17: 14:10.2  another gel at 17.5 m mile 18: 14:03.7  out of the headwind mile 19: 14:12.6 mile 20 14:28.2   feeling a bit sick and tired mile 21 14:23.5 mile 22: 14:17.8  another banana from OH at 21.5m mile 23 13:58.0  turning point and back into the headwind mile 24: 14:30.5 mile 25: 14:14.2 mile 26: 14:15.5 last bit: 03:27.8 (garmin said total ran 26.27
  • oh damn, formatting didn't work - going to try to edit!

• can't edit so trying to reformat here:

mile 1: 12:38.4  
    mile 2: 13:09.6
    mile 3: 12:57.3    (had a gel at about 3.5 miles)
    mile 4: 13:14.2
    mile 5: 13:13.2
    mile 6: 13:10.7
    mile 7: 13:05.8  (another gel)
    mile 8: 13:40.1   (went to the loo)
    mile 9: 13:15.5  (got a banana from OH at 8.5 m)
    mile 10: 13:43.5
    mile 11: 13:34.8
    mile 12: 13:39.2 (head wind from here to about mile 17)
    another banana from OH at 12.5m
    mile 13: 14:06.8
    mile 14: 13:21.5
    mile 15: 14:01.3  feeling it now so another gel
    mile 16: 14:01.3
    mile 17: 14:10.2  another gel at 17.5 m
    mile 18: 14:03.7  out of the headwind
    mile 19: 14:12.6
    mile 20 14:28.2   feeling a bit sick and tired
    mile 21 14:23.5
    mile 22: 14:17.8  another banana from OH at 21.5m
    mile 23 13:58.0  turning point and back into the headwind
    mile 24: 14:30.5
    mile 25: 14:14.2
    mile 26: 14:15.5
    last bit: 03:27.8 (garmin said total ran 26.27

• Hi, I've been following this thread sporadically for a while now, and just want to say firstly well done everyone on your marathons, absolutely incredible work!

I've done a run walk strategy myself for long runs since a fast runner (by my standards) told me walk breaks made them faster, and I found the same thing to be true for me. On long runs I've done 2 mins run, 1 min walk sometimes 3/1. However after reading your posts I tried a 30/30 strategy, and even did a 10/30 section (inspired by Chris) just to see how it felt (I loved it). I ran 18 hilly trail miles, at an average pace of around 12:30 min miles, after having 5 weeks in which I've run a half marathon once and no other long runs at all (injury image aaaand, I wasn't wrecked afterwards. My hips didn't hurt (first time ever), I didn't feel sick, and I even went out for dinner that evening, able to sit up the whole night and everything lol. 

So I really want to thank you all for this forum. It's given my running a new lease of life, and helped me discover how running long distances can be a pleasure. Plus given me a way to complete the marathon I'm signed up to in 3 weeks (Neolithic trail marathon) without having to drop out AGAIN through injury.

I'm doing my first ultra in July and this is absolutely perfect for it.

Hurrah for RWR!!

• MC what do you use to hydrate?  Water or a sports drink?  Really interested at how much you eat.  I drink lucozade and eat jelly babies-probably about 1 per mile.

• when I say sit up the whole night I mean, sit in a chair, not stay up until dawn! That would be epic for me.

• Many congratulations all on your results yesterday. Well done Chris on that sub 6 hours. 

I decided to stick with 4/1 which I did throughout other than on 2 occasions where I did a 5/1 and a 3/1 as I didn't hear the bleep and during the final mile I ran as much as possible with a very short walk. 

I hadn't really decided upon a plan but knew I wanted to be about 2.30 for my first half. Preferably at least 11 min miles. My first miles were a little too quick and I kept telling myself to slow down. I felt very emotional crossing the start line and when I thought about the day ahead. Seeing all those people cheering and clapping was such an amazing feeling. I Hi 5'd children. ( not sure how you spell that) and took in my surroundings. 

It was difficult in those early stages stopping to walk. I made sure I pulled in to the side and put my arm up.....not sure if anyone knew what I was doing but I seemed to avoid any disaster. 

After just a few miles I felt a niggle in my right calf and had a little panic.

i had planned on seeing my daughter and other family members at around the 5-6 mile mark. I scanned the crowds but they were not to be seen. A little upset that I may have missed them. Somewhere around this time I took my first gel Sis. At 8 miles I decided to take 2 paracetamol that I had in my belt. At this stage I really was beginning to doubt I could actually do it! 

Then I heard this massive shout from my niece and then my daughter....I turned and ran back to give my daughter a hug. My nephew managed to take a couple of photos of the moment. It gave me a real boost. All self doubt went and the niggle in my calf maybe due to the painkillers but I was back in the game!

I'd only run 2 more miles to hear my daughter shout again, my grin was getting bigger. I was then running along the Highway expecting to see my youngest son and members of my running club anytime soon, when who should I see but my oldest son running on the opposite side of the Highway nearing the end of his run (3.15)

( to be continued, time for bed) 

• great job everyone. You've all done fabulously well really impressive results and more importantly you got round safely and had a good day. 

• Lainey - I just drank water. Most races I do there is only water available. I did drink quite a lot, but I normally do. I find bananas easier on the stomach than gels - I had taken more gels out with me but couldn't face them. I really didn't want to hit the wall, and I didn't.

runtothetrees - welcome and good to hear from you. Good luck on your marathon, hope you will pop into here and let us know how you get on

littlemissactive - how can you leave us half way through???? looking forward to reading the rest of your report

• Well done all it is so good to read all the reports. Well, it seems that most of you simply feel good after the run image That was the first goal: finishing happy and willing to run another one. Mission completed I guess image

• Marathon Miinie and RunningMax, yes it was a fantastic day. I finished happy, strong and as soon as I crossed the line I wanted to do another. image yes my legs are sore today but my training had been very minimal. The big positive is that my knee caused me no problems whatsoever and seems fine today.

continuing ......further along the highway I then saw my youngest son and members of Stafford harriers. I gave him a big hug and off I went. My confidence high. Think I did half way in 2.29. I took another gel somewhere around the next few miles. Gels have sometimes upset my tummy so I had decided to try and not take too many.

i had Lucozade at every station, ran through every shower to try and cool me, I ate jelly babies, cake and a Jaffa cake handed out by the spectators. Not sure that's a normal marathon approach but it worked! 

I then caught up with a fellow club member who had passed me early on, I tried to give her encouragement and stuck with her for a while before I lost her in the crowds. 

At mile 20 ish I met another club member who was struggling and we ran/ walked together for a little while. At this point I took a Sis gel with caffeine to give me a final boost, whilst being aware I may hit the wall!!!

Another mile or so and there was my daughter again yelling at me! 

At this point I felt so good, I was running well and my confidence high. I had been prepared to change my ratios but as all was going so well I stuck with the plan 4/1.

I could feel my legs starting to cramp and when I took a bottle of water in the final mile I thought I was going to have to stop but I managed to keep going. 

Crossing that line in 5.05.37 was so amazing. I wasn't sure I would say this but it really does work this run/ walk. 

I already have a place in Berlin. Before London I wasn't sure if I would do it but yes I will and can't wait after a well deserved rest. I want a sub 5 hours now! 

im not going to post all my splits but my first miles were 10.50, 11.00,10.49,10.46 I then stuck to 11-12 min miles. Mile 24 was 10.31, 25 - 11.09 and 26 10.28. 

Just to show I did finish as strongly as I started. 

Once again many thanks for all your helpful advice, sharing your experiences, hints and tips. Very well done to you all. We are now Marathon runners. image

• littlemissactive - brilliant report, and great to see that you maintained an even pace right up to the end!

• Beware! Long report ahead!

I actually managed to sleep, which I was surprised about, but got up had a shower and the breakfast I usually had pre long run-weetabix with banana and toast. Said goodbye to my girls (husband and son asleep in another roon!) and headed off on the DLR.  Getting to the start was no problem-just followed all the hundreds of others with a red bag!

I dispensed with my bag, went to loo and grabbed a coffee and then just sat on the grass watching the race coverage.  Eventually I ambled along to pen 9, and we waited…and waited.  Eventually we got going, and about 18 minutes after the start I finally crossed the start line.

My plan was 30:30 RW ratio but thought it might be worth running the first mile or two to avoid the crowd on the road.  However I soon realised that slowing down may be a better option as the crowd’s cheers and everyone’s excitement meant it was so easy to go off fast.  So I very quickly settled into my 30:30 routine.

My nutrition strategy was Lucozade and jelly babies, and hydration was drink when I needed it.  But I was conscious of the warm weather and making sure I drank enough, but not too much.

I was happily trotting along and then we merged with the red start and I think they must have taken longer to get through as the 4.30 pace bus passed me!  Then I was thinking “Cutty Sark” as the first landmark would be coming into view.  That came and went and the miles clicked away and I turned a corner and it was Tower Bridge.

It truly took my breath away and it is as good as everyone says.  That gave me a boost and I knew I was on for a further boost as my family were around miles 13-15.  I was fine apart from needing the loo and saw a port a loo and queued.  For 15 minutes.  I was so disappointed to lose so much time and it really broke my rhythm.  I struggled to get back into it and was down and then saw my dad and brother.  It was fab to see them and gave me a lift and then about 500 yards later (round a corner so they didn’t know each other was there) saw my husband and children!  That was lovely, but the next few miles were the hardest mentally.  Physically I had sore bits but nothing too bad or that lasted too long.  Even though I knew the RW was working, I thought I should walk!

Hitting 18 was great as I thought that’s 8 miles-I did an 8 mile run last week.  Then I saw husband and children at 19, and despite hearing what people said about the last 6 miles (and never gone above 19 in training) I was looking forward to 20 miles and felt strong.  And that feeling continued!  I told myself at mile 23 depending on how I felt I would either keep going 30:30, walk if struggling or try to run more if feeling strong.  I ran more.  The last few miles were a joy!  The Embankment was unbelievable-so much support (the crowds were sensational the whole way round-vocal and generous) and the fact I was running seemed to garner most of it, and as I was so happy at nearly finishing and felt so strong I lapped it up. This wasn’t just a figment of my imagination-in the results it stated in the last 7.2 kms I was passed by 4 runners and I passed 242!

Turning into the Mall was wonderful and crossing the finish line was emotional.  I had done it.  Not the time I wanted, but I had finished upright and smiling!  A wonderful, wonderful day!

• Lainey, what a brilliant report - that brought a tear to my eye. Amazing passing so many people in the last few miles

• Fantastic report Lainey. 

45 passed me and I passed 1071 in the last 7.2k. All testament due to run/walk. 

• LMA-brilliant report!  I would love that time!  Just shows you R/W works for quickies too.  I definitely want to do another marathon!  My legs feel great.  A little stiffness but I am managing stairs, driving and I am thinking when shall I do a run, LOL!  I genuinely thought I might struggle to get to parkrun on Saturday and would probably volunteer, but I can't wait to run!

• RunningMax thanks for looking out for us.  It has meant so much when people said they looked out for me on the tracker.  Thank you.

Barbara, I wonder if I saw you at all as I finished a few minutes ahead of you.  I was lucky as I felt stronger from mile 20 onwards.  Well done you for keeping going.

Mmmatt I do use a garmin, sorry.  Why not check out app store and see if there are any interval timers you can download to your phone?  I have to admit when i found the interval thingy on my garmin it was so much easier than continually looking at my watch!

Chris-well done you.  Doing while not feeling great is so brave.  And a fabulous time too.  And a negative ratio.  Wowzers!

• Just want to add my congratulations to you all, you did amazingly well and its been great reading about your journeys to the big day. Truly inspiring

• cealceal ✭✭✭
    I shall be on here tomorrow with my hearty congratulations and comments. But I have the grandchildren here at the moment and time is in short supply. So please excuse my absence at this important time.
  • eek I am now sorely tempted to do a local marathon in October!  Help!image

• Grrr!!!! I have just lost a really long post I was doing. Now need to make lunch, so annoying

C

• Okay here goes again.

Max – Thanks for encouraging us and keeping track of us on line. It made me feel like I was part of a proper team, being followed like that. Niamh (said as Neeve, granddaughter) was also tracking us with my husband and she said I disappeared for a time around 13 miles. They were worried I had had an accident or something, but all was well, just a gremlin in the tracking system.

LMA – So impressed. Brilliant time and done in 4/1 as well. Really glad that despite your original scepticism, you feel it worked for you and actually helped you be faster and stronger at the end. Very impressive that you passed 1071 people in the last 7.2k!! Really enjoyed the report.

Can’t wait to see how you do in Berlin.

Mathschick – Well done, it was great to read your story, inspiring.

Lainey – Well done too. I agree running along the embankment was really special, the noise was positively deafening. You passed 242 people in the last 7.2k too, so you did good. Shows you were still going strong to the end.

Barbara – Well done for keeping going to the end. I was also worried sick about wanting the loo, but was fine for once. I think nerves before the event sorted that one out. You can waste so much time queueing…… as you proved.

Runtothetrees – Welcome. Glad you have tried out the short segments and found them useful. My son-in-law runs Ultras and uses R/W all the time. Enjoy your up and coming events and let us know how you do.

Marathon Minnie and Booktrunk – Thanks for your interest and support, it really helps.

Ceal – Thanks for your support and helpful advice too. It is good to find people who can do really good times being so open minded about different approaches. It encourages people like us to have a go.

I am so grateful to Jeff G for his training and race advice, as you’ll see when I finally sort out my report, he pitched it spot on for me. I can’t wait to see the results of working with him for another 12-18 months, as I’m sure my times will improve through consistent, well matched training, unimpeded by injury.