Jeff Galloway approach to R/W/R London Marathon 2014 -Help!

Comments

• mathschickmathschick ✭✭✭

ceal - cornwall is lovely, haven't been there since 2001 though! I have at least got a new job so only have to put up with the stresses of the current job till 23 July, then the summer off till I start the new one in September. Just hope the new one works out, it is a girls grammar school so the kids are great, just all depends on management and I am really bad at judging that on interview, but the head did seem very nice and there seemed to be a relaxed atmosphere in the staff room

• cealceal ✭✭✭
    mathschick

Oh you are a teacher, that must be such hard work, you have my respect and good wishes for your new post. You need Chris on here to give you advice on how to judge a school by its cover! Not sure where she has gone. Now she has retired I expect she is being a real gad aboutimage

thanks ceal, I do like my job but my current school is going down the pan, leadership is weak which ends up with them putting so much stress on classroom teachers it has got to breaking point for me really. I am hoping the new school will be different as I had got to the point where I wanted to stop teaching altogether - and I have only been teaching 7 years!

• cealceal ✭✭✭
    mathschick

I have heard that story so many times from teachers and in fact some do give up their vocation.

Off for another run along the sea front at Penzance. No hills today, my legs are already saying thank goodness for that!
  • booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭
    Ohh meant to say did a 31.5ish mile r/w (4:1 ratio) last Saturday in 6:47 it felt good image
  • cealceal ✭✭✭
    booktrunk

COR, great respect earned.
  • Wow booktrunk amazing. I am finally surfacing after a v hectic few weeks. Son-in-law did the Hardmoor 110 Ultra last weekend and we were up there supporting him. Daughter ran in support for 14 miles on Saturday and 22 on Sunday. I joined them. For the 22 as well. It was hard work but really enjoyed it as the torrential rain had stopped by Sunday morning and the sun came out. V muddy and slippy and slidey and some deep ravines to climb in and out of. Will put some pictures on later.

C x

booktrunk - wow, well done

Chris - well done to your son-in-law. I really can't imagine doing that kind of mileage. Well done to you being able to join in too

I am starting to get better now, just in time to go back to work on Monday! Typical. Oh well, I'll start running again on Monday too

• Mathschick

I saw you messages above about work. It is pretty tough in education at the moment. I don't know the ins and outs of your school's situation but many heads are feeling very under threat at the moment because of the new Ofsted regime, you are only as good as your last set of results and if your school falls into requires improvement then your job can be on the line. It is almost like being a football manager now. As you teach a core subject, you will be feeling the pressure because of the impact your subject can have on floor targets etc. Even good results may be viewed as not good enough in a relatively affluent area. Hope things are better for you in your new school.

Sorry folks, for talking work. image

Ceal,  I am back with the programme now will post properly later. Hope you are running well.

thanks Chris

our head let it slip that he is training as an Ofsted inspector, so reading between the lines he is preparing to leave......

• Booktrunk

Just looked up your profile and am in awe of what you have achieved over the last few years. Am I right in that you are going to do "The Wall" in a few weeks? I would be really interested in knowing how it went/what it's like etc etc in a bit of detail, as I have my eye on it as a potential race next year. Russ's ultra last week really inspired me, although not sure I would want to do 110 miles in one go. The night running is something I'd find hard, especially when it goes on all night and then all the following day too.

• booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

Chris Hob: thanks image yes i'm doing the Wall three weeks today *gulp* 

if I don't do a sensible report here give me a nudge image I'm guessing / hoping around 17/18 hours.

i'm doing 4/1 r/w from the beginning image 

• What mile pace will that give you? Russ aimed for a steady 15 min/mile (it was 110 miles -well to be precise 112 in the end) but it was all off road and I think The Wall has some road in it, if I remember rightly. Is 4/1 slow enough for that distance? What is the start time and cut off/ Sorry for so many questions, but really interested.

Also, tried to look back about London? Can't find the right page and my memory is useless. If you did it, how did you do?

Good to read about someone who has come on as far as you with R/W/R

gosh booktrunk, good luck. It does look like a great one to do, I am sure you will be great image

• booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

Chris:

I'm hoping to do around 7.8 / 8 km per hour for the first four hours or so, so 12 to 12:30 minute miles then around 7.4-7.5 km per hour for the next four hours, so around 13.5 min miles

Then after that it's just do the best that I can, I am thinking around 15min miles and just seeing how long I can keep that up for image 

I averaged 13 minutes per mile in my 31.5 mile run last Saturday. Ran 10km in 59min last night, including a 8:20 mile, and did 14 miles today (r/w) in under 12 minutes per mile image 

• Hi Guys,

Quick question, how easy is it to increase your walk/run splits? Is it easy to say start with 30/30secs and then up it to 45/30secs?

HI Elise

I would say that if you are going to do that, then try it on a shorter run to start with and see how you find it. For shorter runs you would probably want a different ratio to longer runs anyway. Though Chris may have more info as she knows more about it than me

• I agree with mathschick. Just see what is comfortable. Also, when showing the ratios we usually show the run bit first so we are all talking about the same thing, not just sure what you were meaning as you put walk/run and then 45/30.

For longer runs (say over 13 miles) I tend to use a negative split R20/W30, for recovery runs 30/30, in my half marathon in March I used 60/30 but in London, because it was my first marathon and I wanted to just enjoy the occasion, I stuck to a negative split. All this though is personal choice, and dependent on your current fitness and the pace you want to run at the time. The shorter segments give you better recovery and put you at less risk of injury so 60/30 could also be 30/15 as it is a 2:1 ratio. Either of these would give you faster recovery than say 2min/1min or 4/2. 

Hope this makes sense.

C

• Hi again Elise

I have just looked at your profile and this is definitely the way to go for you. As a beginner it will make it all so much more fun and manageable. Have you had a look at Jeff Galloway's website. There is a lot on there. His book The Run-Walk-Run Method (2013 edition) would be an ideal read for you too. You can get it on Amazon. And remember that for you a long run will be much shorter than for an experienced runner, at the beginning a mile is a long way.

Not sure what you know about this method, but the walk bits are not meant to be speed walking. Think what pace you might walk to the shop for a sandwich in your dinner hour and that is about it, not a dawdle but not fast either.

Good luck with your training and keep in touch.

• Booktrunk, you are amazing. Jeff Galloway always says it is better to start slowly so there is something left in reserve for the end. Are you using R/W/R from the beginning? Some of the off-road stuff in last weekends Ultra made it very slow for them from the startimagecrambling down screes and over rocks etc.  The weather was appalling on Saturday, both day and night and the ground was a mud bath , it was lovely when I ran with them on the Sunday though, thank goodness. Are you likely to still be running after dark? At least it will be around the longest day.

This may be of no use to you, as you may have heard it all before, but here are some of the insights from last weekends Hardmoor 110. Russ said he learnt several things from this Ultra. He only had two pairs of shoes and they both got very wet and couldn't be dried in time for changing at the checkpoints. His feet got very soggy and sore. A number dropped out because of "trench foot". One fella's feet looked like white jelly, I felt so sorry for him. Anyway, Russ says he would have taken more pairs of trainers if he could. He changed his socks and put talc on his feet at every checkpoint. His friend who did the Marathon de Sable at Easter actually taped his feet up this time and said it really helped him not to blister etc.

Russ took 2 head torches with him for the night run, one for his head and one in his hand. He says they always slow down massively in the dark when off road. He felt that his stomach was much better this time as he only ate real foot and not gels and sports drinks, on Ultras they make him feel queasy, he says he feels like he's over dosing on sugar if he's not careful. He reckons that you go that slow, eating real food is not an issue. If I remember anything else he said, I'll post it on here.

All the best for the run. I wish I was up to doing it too.

Oh and what was the Ladybower like?

C

• Some pictures from last Sunday when I was supporting Russ and Ian on their Ultra. Liz, my daughter also supported (and did 14 miles the day before in driving rain)

/members/images/425963/Gallery/1521897_870314772985355_1852821287529685489_n.jpg

Four of us ready to run the last two sections of the Hardmoor 110 (which was really 112!)

/members/images/425963/Gallery/10409220_10152507176990362_6765013706265011307_n_1.jpg

Ian and I running into the Scarborough checkpoint

https://scontent-a-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xaf1/t1.0-9/10372293_10152507176850362_213817717092786427_n.jpg

And I wonder why my legs got tired

W

https://scontent-b-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpf1/t1.0-9/10365945_10152507176610362_5514160681304026490_n.jpg

• I was nearly falling over on the last photo!

https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpf1/t1.0-9/10303365_870315686318597_3069243684316730001_n.jpg

Russ at 100 miles

https://scontent-b-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpa1/t1.0-9/10437343_870315032985329_5643423591185425128_n.jpg

Russ with his finisher's medal at 112 miles (NOT 110!!!!)

• Just to confirm how well Russ and ian did. There were 61 starters for the Hardmoor 110 and only 33 finished. Amazing feat. They started at 8am on Saturday morning, ran all day and night and then on the Sunday too. The pictures are from the Sunday.....hence the sun and not driving rain.

C

wow, Chris that looks like tough terrain!! Massive well done to him (and to you for the bits you did!)

• Thanks for the info Chris image
    Great pics by the way!!

So if my Half Marathon is Feb 2015, should I do the JG program twice, or do each week twice (if you see what I mean?!). Was thinking of doing the program twice and up the RunWalk ratios on the second time?

• I'd do the full thing once, have a bit of a break and then start again with distances about half as long as what you finished the last one with. This would maintain your level of fitness, but like you say, your mile pace should improve and with it the ratios. 

• Thank you Chris image
    Did just over 3 miles yesterday and didn't find it too hard... Had to walk through a couple of the last 10 run segments, but other than that, I was pleased with myself!

• Elise - that is great. Don't push it, just enjoy it and it will all come together. So yes walk when you feel the need.

C

• Did my first proper long run since London today, 15 miles. Wanting to get back into proper training again now. Onwards and upwards. Did 30/30. Tired but fine.

I did 10x200 intervals on Tuesday. I have not been able to pace myself at all when doing 800s so JG gave me some workout to help with this. He asked me to do them on a track, which was fine, especially now I've retired and can do them in the day time. He told me to walk 200 as a recovery in between, so 1 set used a circuit of the 400 metre track.  I to first aim for 1:15, then 1:12, then 1:10. And final if I was able do any that were left in 1:08. I was not perfect but it really helped as I could roughly judge my half way time. Will try it again next week. Really enjoyed doing them.

• booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

Sorry been busy, I'm 90% sure I'm doing r/w from the beginning, am slightly tempted to run the first hour, but I think that's more out of vanity so think I should stick to r/w.

going to have a gps in my rucksack, but not on my wrist, so will not really know pace or anything I'm setting watch to show r/w time and that's it my whole race will just be about the next 5 minutes. It might go gloriously wrong image but I'm going to play and live no further than 5 minutes ahead at any time. Be it mile 1 or mile 68'image