Jeff Galloway approach to R/W/R London Marathon 2014 -Help!

Comments

• booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

Oh Chris, Ladybower is lovely, you can make a 5, 10, or 15m loop depending on if you run the bottom part 5m, top part 10m or all of it 15m and there is around 350m of elevation in the full lap, so around 1100ft image so it's a real workout. Mainly on Tarmac, but with some slightly stone trail bits thrown in for fun. 

• Thanks booktrunk. I think I'll look it up. How far did you run in Ladybower and did you get a time?

The fellas are now recovering well from their race, although they tend to both do the man thing and pretend they are better than they really are. Russ's friend Ian was concerned that he had a stress fracture in his ankle/lower shin. He had skidded on some scree early on but he kept going, down the top of his foot and up his shin went red and inflamed. Anyway, the hospital think it was just a strain, although not sure if they just Xrayed or whether they scanned it. Anyway, having categorically said never, never again.........they are now looking for their next challenged. LOL.

• booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

Chris: Did 50m around Ladybower last September in just under 12 hours.It was also really hot that day and I struggled, couldn't keep any food or drink down for the first 35m so it was a bit of a horrendous slog. 

This is going to be my first R/W event. It's going to be fun to see how I go, and how many hours before i change to 3/1 image and if at the end i'm doing 2/2 or 1/1 image or even 1/2 image actually to be honest still running a third of the last few miles at 69 miles i'd be happy with image

• Book trunk - I'm surprised you weren't completely put off Ultras with that experience. I'm sure strategically using R/W is much better than just crawling to an enforced walk because of exhaustion. I would definitely R/W right from the beginning. Just let them all pull away and then start reeling them back in when they start to hit burn out.

If you are covering ultra distances you may conserve more energy by retaining the ratios, but reducing the segment size eg 4/1 could be 2/30 and 3/1 could be 90/30. You would still cover the same distance in the same time. Similarly, 1/2 may be easier at 30/1 or even 15/30. I ran part of London using that.

Are you okay with changing your watch alerts when you are tired? I use a clip on Gymboss (from Amazon), it's the same thing as what Jeff Galloway sells. It is v easy to adjust on the run, once you have been out with it a couple of times. It has a loud or soft sound, a vibrate mode or combination alert. I clip it to the neck of my t-shirt. Works a treat for me.

I did 3 or 4 over 20 mile runs for London but v little else. My average monthly mileage from Christmas was only 79 miles. I was up to my eyes with work, but Jeff still got me happily through the marathon, and I mean happily. I could skip up and down the stairs the next day. My daughter said I hadn't tried hard enough. She was probably right, but, unlike her, I didn't look like I'd been in a motorbike accident afterwards, Hehe. I have now got a solid base to work from though, and not a hint of an injury since I started last Nov. so onwards and upwards, ready to start attacking PBs.

by the way, I keep getting v sunburnt on my long runs, do you or any lurkers on here know what sun screen is best. I'm trying to find something that doesn't clog up the pores and affect the sweating mechanism and won't run into my eyes.

C

• booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

My milage has gone up quite a lot since i decided to try to go for it a bit more seriously.

2012: My first year of running around 460M

2013: First full year of running 936M

2014: So far 6/6/14 i've done over 660M running and another 190M hiking.

• Booktrunk

It's great how the body just strengthens and wants more as you go along. Big mileage for you this year, impressive. You can see it in your improvements. How do you fit it all in? I'll probably do somewhere between 900 and 1000 miles over the year, as my weekly mileage is starting to rise, because of my growing confidence in the RWR stuff keeping me uninjured

• Oh heck, monthly mileage was even less than I thought - an average of 73 per month. My long run weeks had higher mileage than the others, but evened out it's less than 20 miles per week. Very low for doing a marathon

• mathschickmathschick ✭✭✭

booktrunk - is it this weekend? Good luck

yes, it is lovely round ladybower - haven't run round but have done walks round there

• So I went for the 30 minute run today doing 30/30 splits and all was fairly ok... (found it a bit harder today for some reason), but after 25 minutes I got this terrible stabbing pain from the bottom of my ribs down towards my belly button on the right hand side image Felt a bit like a stitch but about 10 times worse! I actually couldn't even walk and had to sit down until the pain eased and even then, I couldn't carry on the last run segments. Never had a stitch as bad as that before (assuming it is a stitch?). Anyone got any tips?

had you had enough to drink? Sometimes I get a pain like that when I am too dehydrated - tends to be during normal everyday life rather than when exercising for me as I always drink a lot when exercising. It was warm today

• booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭
    Not yet maths image 2 weeks today.

booktrunk - a couple of weeks to taper then?

started doing longer runs so 7 miles run/walk today doing 30/30 - went in the late afternoon after the storms had cleared, it was hot and humid but really enjoyed it. 

• cealceal ✭✭✭
    booktrunk

You have an excellent mind set in relation to your pending Ultra. I do not have the experience and knowledge that Chris has about run walk run. But I am quite an experienced runner and in my opinion you should start with your run walk plan, don't let vanity get in your way. I know in one of my 2 marathons I ran the first 5 miles too fast and once that happens one doesn't get it back. In fact the same happens in all races whatever the distance.

Chris.

Fab family photos. You will very soon hack your pace. But you do have to take into account the weather, if it is windy on the track it will be difficult to obtain an evenly paced interval.

Elise,

It does sound like stitch that you suffered from. It can indeed be extremely painful. I have run the odd race with an occurrence of it. I find if I raise my arm up on the side of the stitch, it can make it moe bearable. Stitch is like a cramp, nothing to be feared but not very nice nonetheless.

It was very humid and warm yesterday. Well it was here down in the south. In fact this morning it was 35c on our patio, which is in full sun at 7.30 am.

I have been doing most of my runs as a run/walk over the last week and finished the week yesterday,in conditions similar to that of the Amazon Rainforest, but cooler along the tree lined trail which we ran along. We did 13 miles (nothing like as long as the runs of booktrunk and Chris) but a long way for me! This brings the weeks total to 28 miles, I may pop put later this morning for a gently 3 miler.

I am busy next week so will find it difficult to fit as many miles in as this week.
  • Ceal and Elise

I agree with you Ceal about Elise's pain. Because of her medical history she has done v little physical activity, so it is all new to her body, her diaphragm and chest muscles are probably all in a bit of shock with what she is asking them to do. Just a case of gently does it, I'd say.

BT

I agree you should do RWR from the beginning, but I think we are preaching to the converted on that one.

Ceal

how is the training going? Picking up speed?

booktrunk - yes, I also agree with the others about starting off with the run/walk. Before I did my marathon someone said that is it the walk segments in the first mile that are the most important and have the most impact on the rest of the race, then the ones in the second mile etc

been out on the bike today, very warm and windy but great fun

• cealceal ✭✭✭
    Chris

Each magic mile I do is faster! Each 5k run (only run, no walk) is a little faster but my run walks seem not to get any faster! I am hoping that this last 13 miles which I have done with my husband will be the last long run that I do. I will make 8/9 miles my longest. I, personally, don't want to run a marathon or a half! So I think until I settle into a routine I won't get much faster. I am also following this 30 day routine of some kenetic exercises which are very good but are also at the moment making my legs tired, but I know there will be a benefit.

If anybody is interested here is the link

http://www.kinetic-revolution.com/30daychallenge/
  • booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

R/w today 11.8km so about 7.25-7.3m in 1:25 never looked at the pace just ran and walked according to the beeps.

i am now doing all my weekend running as r/w and all my weekday running as purely r. It's a good combo that seems to be working. Taper time now image 

• Thanks for confirming the stitch. Went out for a 30 min R/W today and felt it pulling a bit about half way through the run, but thankfully it didn't materialize into a full blown stitch! Was quite warm out there, but thankfully the route I ran was quite shady image

Thank you all again for your help!

• Hello all, sorry not been on here much lately and my running has been difficult so not much to report. I'm struggling to run 4 miles and I have been trying to convince myself that it's still recovery from VMLM but I can't believe it's taking this long!! I have Herceptin every 3 weeks for breast cancer. Until 28th April I had it IV but then it changed to Subcutaneous, I am now questioning if the change has affected my running. Time will tell. Looking at my training times on my watch I ran 5.5 miles on 27th April at 10.12 pace on a hilly ish route, since then every run has been slower and shorter 10.30 ish and really having to push myself with legs like lead! I see my consultant mid July so if no better by then I will be discussing the treatment. 

I bought the Marathon you can do it book today (2nd hand from ebay) looking forward to reading it. I've a place in Berlin at the end of Sept. 

just a a quick catch up with your posts.....

mathschick good luck in your new job. 

Ceal your holiday in Cornwall sounds great. Pleased you managed to get some picturesque runs in.

Chris, well done to your son in law and family on the Ultra. The pics are great. Not an easy 112 miles! Fantastic that you were able to join in and support along the way.

booktrunk what an amazing couple of years you have had. Good luck with The wall.

I've been trying to run continuously and failed but think I will try a run walk tomorrow and see how that feels. I was injured pre London so maybe my fitness has just deteriorated badly! 

I'll see how the next few weeks go.

• cealceal ✭✭✭
    Littlemissactive

Could it be the warmer weather that is making your legs feel like lead when you run? Certainly when it is warm like the last few days one's HR will elevate quicker than in cooler weather and make one feel tireder. But if course it could be the change in your medication. I would recommend that you stick to run walk run at present which will allow your body to recover quicker thus hopefully enabling you to train more often with legs that are less tired and with more energy.
  • Thanks Ceal, I must admit I do struggle in the heat at the best of times so yes that is a possibility. I will add the weather to my run analysis and see how it goes. 

• cealceal ✭✭✭
    Magic mile done yesterday, 8.02 mins. That is 3 or so seconds faster than a couple or so weeks ago. Not much, but they all count. Plus it was 25c yesterday. Although the trail along which I did it was nicely tree lined, so it was cool in comparison with our garden. I had a mile warm up first then the magic mile followed by 2.2 miles run walk, 4:1. This was 5.2 miles in total for the day.

wow, great improvements ceal

I haven't really done any proper magic miles, maybe I'll have a go later image

• LMA

heat does affect me so that I can end up feeling weary, but throw in the medication and who knows. I agree with Ceal, just take it steady for now.

Ceal - your long runs are mainly for endurance, so I wouldn't worry. You could change your ratios a bit, but if going long isn't your focus I wouldn't worry. The times that matter seem to be improving, so as a training package, what you are doing seems to be working. My view, if it's not broken, don't fix it.

C

• cealceal ✭✭✭
    Chris

Thanks for the confidence boost! I can confirm that the longer distances are just for endurance no other reason.

This morning is very warm again here down in the south, 25c again, I am not complaining. However, running can be quite taxing when it is so warm.

I ran 5.24 miles, av pace 10.25 min milling, run walk 4:1.

My legs are pretty tired from starting to follow a 30 day exercise schedule

http://www.kinetic-revolution.com/30daychallenge/welcome-to-the-challenge/

The exercises change every 6 days. The first section was mainly dynamic stretches for running muscles and I found them to be beneficial. The section I am working on now targets strength and core. I am finding them quite challenging, however, I do like a good challenge even if my legs were all of a tremble this morning after today's efforts.

I think the combination of running and doing the daily the exercises will be hard. But I will have a good go.
  • Wahyay! Up to 8 miles! This warm weather has made it a bit more er...challenging. Heat rate goes right up! I've noticed that one bit of me aches one week, that goes and then another part aches the following week. I'm wondering if this is the body adjusting bit by bit to the running? Bit of an ache on the ball of my foot and forums suggesting metatarsal might be the cause. I'm going to see how that goes, may disappear as the other niggles have. So impressed with run walk though - I've never run that far before!

Leigh - I find that when the balls of my feet ache it is normally because the cushioning has gone in my shoes and I need new shoes - could be your normal everyday shoes as well not necessarily your running shoes causing this problem!  Well done on building up the mileage though. 

• Ceal, well done on that magic mile! I've not done one of those, maybe something to try.

Leigh, how great that you are progressing so well with run / walk. 

• Cheers Mathschick, you could have a point there re shoes. I walk to work in a pair of trainers that are a thousand years old (roughly!) Thanks for flagging that.

Leigh - the thing with the shoes is something I have had a problem with all my life, before starting running, and a new pair of shoes has always sorted it image

nice 5 mile run/walk for me today