Jeff Galloway approach to R/W/R London Marathon 2014 -Help!

Comments

• cealceal ✭✭✭
    5 miles seems to be the way to go today. I ran/walked 5 miles today too.
  • booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

8.5km so around 5.3 miles for me as well image around 55m hard work Garmin reckons it was 22 out there. Hot! Average heart rate was 133bpm, with the speed averaging at 6:33km 

• booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

Oh. i want to do a golden mile image but don't dare try before the wall, as will be crazy to pull something trying hard now. 

• It looks like we are all waking up again after our marathons.

And just to add to the day's total, I did 5 miles at the club last night. I finally plucked up courage to move up a group last night. Was s nice shade of red by the end. It was warm and sticky and this group don't regroup quite as often as my other group. It felt good though........especially when we stopped. Haha! Will go again on Tuesday and see how I find it then. There are 20+ in the group on a Tuesday so I'll see. It has got to help me improve.

C

• Glad to hear everyone is getting on ok in the heat!

Pleased to announce that I completed 4 miles on Wednesday, which is my furthest yet! No side effects to report either so I'm very pleased about that image Took me about 55 minutes.

Also did a 2 mile run this morning in 26 minutes 40 seconds which was quicker than usual. Loving this method!

• cealceal ✭✭✭
    Elise

That is great news.

Chris

Was that 5 miles with no walking breaks?
  • mathschickmathschick ✭✭✭

elise and ceal - well done image

• Hi Elise, you sound like you are in 'my boat', new to RWR and in a constant state of surprise as to how good it is! Nice to have a similar person to me on the forum.

• Well done Elise. Your experience and that of Leigh's matches how I felt when i came across this technique. It was a Road to Damascus experience for me when I finally found something that meant I could run uninjured.

Ceal - Yes it is without walk breaks when I run with the club, however.....

The group I was running with, stopped and regrouped about every quarter of a mile and it was quite unpressured pace-wise. The new group probably regroups about every third to half a mile depending on the terrain and they push the pace all the way round. So there are breaks in the runs. I still don't think they work as good as walk breaks though as the walks tend to loosen out the legs, whereas stopping and waiting can cause you to stiffen up if the muscles are tired. 

I like the company of the club though and running with others does push you on. I think it's just balancing needs. I would always do my long runs RWR though.

• cealceal ✭✭✭
    Hi Leigh

It is good to hear that you are taking well to r/w.

Chris,

Do you think you could still run 5 miles without a stop? If so I would be interested to know what the pace would be in relation to running the same distance run walk.

It was so very humid here yesterday, half way though my 8.7 mile run, walk. I though that I would have to walk all the way home, everything felt so heavy. But I was lucky, the clouds lifted and the sky lightened letting in a little breeze amongst the large trees which were linning the trail I was running along, and the heavy feeling instantly disappeared!
  • Trees? You have trees Ceal?! My route is in central London and I am dreaming of a trail lined with trees, birdsong and maybe a gentle stream. Of course there also needs to be toilets at key points on the route and a water fountain somewhere....image

• cealceal ✭✭✭
    Leigh

You have my empathies! You have parks!!!! for the birdsong!
  • Leigh, nice to have another Newbie to discuss things with image

Bad news I'm afraid, after Sundays run, my right shin hurt a little bit and by the time I went to bed, it was agony when walking. Yesterday the pain wasn't too bad until I bent down, but when I got home from work, it was really hurting again. Iced it and kept my leg elevated as much as I can, but I think I have shin splints image So disappointing as I was really getting into the plan. Hopefully I'm not out of action too long. It already feels better today as I haven't been on my feet as much!

Hope all is well with everyone else x

Elise - sorry to hear that image injury is awful, but make sure you let it heal properly and then start back slowly.

booktrunk  - is your ultra this weekend?

• booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

mahschick: yes image Saturday 7 am

oooh, good luck booktrunk, hope the weather is kind to you and it cools down a bit up North!

I haven't done anything for a week now due to another cold. I have a half marathon  coming up too, think it might be a bit of a hard one!

• cealceal ✭✭✭
    booktrunk had already started race. All best wishes winging their way over that way.

hope she is doing ok, pretty hot today

• cealceal ✭✭✭
    It certainly is hot today. It has left me feeling weary. No running, just gardening followed by my choir singing at a local village food fare. That was most certainly very warm. However, that doesn't even come close to comparing as to how warm it will have been for booktrunk.
  • I wish we had booktrunk's name or number to track her and will her along. Fingers crossed, as the weather is very warm. I had to cut short my long run yesterday, as I did not feel good. Not sure if it was just dehydration or not, but ended up wanting to throw up and was feeling dizzy. I got hubby to pick me up after 14.5 miles. Crazily, I was fine after 5 minutes sat down inside. Oh well. 

Ceal, I'm not sure about the continuous 5 miles. I do need to pick up my short runs more. RWR has been great for developing my endurance and keeping me running injury free but I do need to put a bit more emphasis on the speed work and racing to up the pace. The emphasis has changed a bit on my training with JG in recognition of this, it will be interesting to see how this goes. All through the winter the training focus was on getting to and through London without mishap. This was fine but everything I did was a bit one pace.

C

• Booktrunk

How did you do on your Ultra?

Chris

Hi Chris - I think she posted on her other thread that she didn't make it, but she did do something crazy like 56 miles before dropping out, and conditions weren't great - cold and wet I think. An amazing achievement even though she didn't finish

I did Clumber park half marathon on Sunday, a trail race, and as I seem to have been ill every other weekend, I hadn't run further than 7 miles since the marathon in April, so my pace was slower than normal, I struggled a bit and did a lot more walking that I would have liked. Still finished though image

• Thanks Mathschick Re Booktrunk's race. I tried looking on the other threads last week, but there were so many posts I must have missed hers. I remember being worried for her weather wise, at the time, but couldn't ember if that was because of heat or rain.

Trail races are always hard anyway, so well done for completing it. It suddenly struck me yesterday that it is only 9 weeks to GNR, which is less time than there has been since London, and that only seems 2 minutes since. 

I'm still plodding along nicely, although Jeff has just thrown a shed full of mile repeats in his latest schedule update. That should keep me busy. doing a local 10k tonight. It is still warm so will probably stick to 60/30 or thereabouts. Not a chance of a good time whilst it is this warm. 

I did a 5k Parkrun last Sat, for the first time since I start doing the Galloway stuff. I did it in 31:46. Last time I did it was 28 Dec13, as it happens that was the same day as I applied for e-coaching. I did it in 33:08 then so I have improved by over a minute. Not too unhappy as I have just concentrated on long distance endurance, not speed, since then. I would love to get below 30 mins, fingers crossed it will happen this year.

hope everyone is well out there. I have to admit with the world cup etc My posting on RW has been at best intermittent. Will try and improve.

• So when I started my running training about 8 weeks ago my heart rate was 66 and I spent a month doing long slow slow runs under 75% heart rate and since then I have been running without the HRM. Today when I put it on to do my run my heart rate was 52! I thought the reading was wrong at first but it does correlate with a blood pressure test and a gym reading in the last few weeks.

This running lark must be good for you then?!

• I take it that is your resting HR, Leigh. It just shows what some carefully planned work can do for your health. Well done you!

I had a similar surprise last week. My resting HR (as in don't move a muscle whilst laid in bed) was 62 or 63 depending on the day. I decided to take my BP the other day as I was due to go to the doctors and thought I'd see how it was. Bearing in mind I'm 61 next week, my BP was 111/74 but my pulse (sat at my desk) was 58. I took it several times in disbelief but it was quite insistent. So I was v pleased too. I presume my v slow RWR long runs are doing the same for me too. Hope it long continues.

C

• booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

A aargh hell this thread dropped off page1 Andi completely forgot about it until I got nudged the other day!! 

How did my ultra go! S***e imagedropped after 57m 

it was really hot, and I screwed the pacing up by going to quick to begin with. The m&s the breaks, I'm Esther disappointed, I got it wrong. I kept the r/w going pretty much for the first 30 or so miles, after that I was just struggling with the heat,  then in the evening I got really cold and started shivering and just could not warm up.

oh well image if it was my only ultra of the year I think I might have managed to slog out to the finish, but as it was one of x I just didn't have the oomph to keep going. So I just failed and wimped out with around 12 miles to go. 

• Have I got this right booktrunk, you dropped out after 57 miles?

• booktrunk

57 miles is amazing in the heat that weekend. What you did was still v impressive. I see on another thread that you are looking at doing back to back marathons one weekend, I look forward to what you think of that with interest.

c

• booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭
    Yes image

Just signed up to do them. So now thinking about how to run them.

I am not sure about running them very, very gently, or trying for 8/2 r/w.

Consistency is the key, I really want to be consistent I need to kick myself up the backside to ensure that I keep a consistent pace.