Jeff Galloway approach to R/W/R London Marathon 2014 -Help!

Comments

• Hello all,

I've been reading through this thread, and what an amazing and inspiring group you are! I'm training for the Yorkshire Marathon 2014, and have switched to a RWR plan from a more 'traditional' plan, based on the fact that with walk breaks I'm slightly faster than if I try to run the whole thing. I'm 36, still a little overweight and have been running (slowly!) for about 16 months, building from C25k to now (half marathon+ run/walking and continuing to build up to the marathon in October). I'm just wondering if anyone here is doing Yorkshire? I was a little unsure about run/walk at first, but reading what all of you have achieved doing is has confirmed to me it's the right way for me to go. I can't expect to suddenly be Mo Farah after thirty years of hardly any exercise. Wishing all of you all the best with your training and future challenges. Would be great to chat about progress on here too if possible.

Lisa

• mathschickmathschick ✭✭✭

hi Lisa I am doing Yorkshire too!! Really looking forward to it, although I am a bit behind in my training already!

• Hi there mathschick, I'm looking forward to it too in a terrified sort of way! Will you be doing run/walk? 

• mathschickmathschick ✭✭✭

yeah, definitely. For the marathon I did in April (my first) I did 20 sec run/30 sec walk all the way. I'll decide nearer the time what ratio I'll be using

If you haven't already looked at the Jeff Galloway website I can recommend doing so, I have one of his book the Marathon: you can do it, makes for good reading and has training plans in too

• Thank you. I've got the book but am following the Ultimate Marathon Schedule: Get You Round from Runner's World (under the subscriber's marathon training plans). It says it's based on the Galloway method. It says to run 5 mins, walk 1 min for the marathon, but it's obviously up to the individual really. I quite like run 4 mins, walk 2 but as you say will decide nearer the day.

• I recommend 2 minutes, as 1 minute doesn't give you long enough to do stuff easily drink, or eat some food or a gel if you want...

2 minutes just gives you longer to get yourself sorted, as of course you would try to eat / drink in a walk section to save wasting a run section.

• Thank you, booktrunk. I've been doing 4 mins run, 2 mins walk on some longer runs and must admit I agree re, taking on gels etc. I also think if you have a small sip of water each time you walk is a good plan as it keeps you hydrated without being too much. I've found in shorter races if inhale a whole bottle over a few minutes it's bloating and feels uncomfortable, so little and often seems better for me personally.

• I have a dodgy hamstring so want to go very carefully today, do did 2 hours r/w 4 min run followed by 3 min walk and repeat. Very different average heart rate only 120 did 15.1km in the 2 hours, so around 4.7 mph but was very gentle and easy, was a fun slightly different experiment. 

• Hi all

Sorry I've not been on for a bit, but had all sorts of random things on.

I agree with Booktrunk that trying out different ratios is quite good fun. This is definitely a thinking person's way to train. I have a slightly different approach to her because I am not as worried about eating too much as I currently only train for halves and marathons, whereas Booktrunk's thing is really in the ultra scene. 

I do variations on ratios but rarely do full minutes for the segments e.g. For my 800s I now use the ratio 3/1 but actually run/walk 45/15. The shorter segments definitely help to protect from niggles and injuries more. it's horses for courses so to speak, so you need to experiment and not worry about what the length of your run times looks to others.

I have not had a niggle since I started this approach 8 or 9 months ago. I am now running around 30 miles per week. I was not staying injury free on 10-12 miles per week before that.

So if I take Booktrunk's eg of 8/2, I personally would not run that for 8 mins as I would most definitely slow down too much during the 8 minute run, neither would I run 4/1 although this is still the same ratio. I may possibly run 2/30 but more likely 60/15. All the same ratio, but each has a very different impact on the body, and effect on average pace.

I R/W my long runs in negative ratios eg 20/30, 15/30 or 10/30, obviously these are all seconds. Booktrunk's version of this might be 2/3, 2/4 or 1/3 all obviously in minutes.  Depends on the needs of the job in hand.

I get over the eating and drinking issue by using a cheap Gym boss interval timer clipped to my top. I can change the ratios on it in a matter of a few seconds now. So if I need to eat, I can just change the segment size for 5 or 10 mins, and then drop them back to the version that's in seconds again afterwards.

So as an e.g. I'm trotting along at 20/30 and want a gel, I either break this into two tasks by taking one out of my belt in the first walk break and then eating it in the second; or I may change the segments up to 2mins/3mins for a couple of rounds. Usually I split the task across 2 walks of 30secs.

hope this makes sense.

glad to have you as part of the Galloway team, Lisa.

C

• And that's another good thing about RWR, when I need to eat or drink I just consider it a walk break, take my time, avoid choking as a result and then run again. Everything is so much more civilised in RWR!

• Thank you Chris, good to be here, lots of great advice and information. 

• Hi all

did my Magic Mile this week and got it down to 9:00 exactly. Was actually aiming for 8:58, but that will have to wait for another day. When I started back running last October, my best mile was 10:45, so something is working.

My Parkrun time was down this week too, I did it in 31:37, despite Saturday being my 3rd running day in a row. That was 9secs better than my July Parkrun, so it looks like things are quietly moving forward.

Oh and the weight is starting to drop off too.

got a 25 miler to do this week. Hope the wind drops off a bit. At least it is a little cooler now, though.

It's GNR time in three weeks on Sunday so getting nervous now. Hopefully I will improve on my February Blackpool time. I ran that race in a howling gale. I really want to set a PB,  currently 2:22, but I think that may be somewhat optimistic. We'll see. It is very early this year, so I hope it's not hot!

hope all you lot out there are running well too.

C

• Rainedonparade, how you doing?

• Chris well done on the progress that is brilliant. I feel like I have lost a lot of fitness but am still plugging away at it! I am currently on holiday in Switzerland so lots of walking as well as some running but won't have chance to do the long runs I should be to build up for York. But the walking will help with my endurance I hope

• I'm okay, thank you. Going my long run in a few hours, going fir fifteen miles today - we'll see! How about everyone else?

• Hi all

Mathschick - Glad to now you are still around. I'm sure walking in the 'little' hills in Switzerland will keep the muscles toned. Don't leave running too long though.

RoP - Glad to hear you are making such good progress with the long runs.

I did a 25 mile R/W a the end of last week. because I have got GNR on 7th Sept, Jeff G had told me to do 10/30 ratio to ensure I got round without over tiring the legs. Okay, it sounds ridiculously slow, but boy did I enjoy the run. It was just so easy. I barely got out of breath and apart from tired feet I had no issues at all. I felt so good afterwards that I was as high as a kite for the rest of the day. Who needs alcohol to have a 'happy Hour' or 2 or 4 or 6. I have never felt so good.

I ran a recover 5 miles at 30/30 on Sunday and really couldn't tell that I had done 25 miles 2 days before. My average pace was 12:25. I was quite pleased as this is just faster than my dream pace of 12:30 for the Chester marathon and would knock 22 minutes off my London Debut time. well I can dream.

Training this way has enabled me to make really solid steady progress. Okay when just running, I have appeared to have improved my pace at half marathon level or shorter a little more quickly. But then I have always and I mean always, overdone it and blown up. I have rarely lasted more than a few months without having to resort to cross training to nurse an injury across the start line. And even then, I have often failed to make the race. 

When I looked in my diary after posting last week I found I had miscounted how long I had been injury free. I came back from my last injury early in Oct 13, seriously started using the Galloway approach in Dec 13 and treated myself to e-coaching from Jeff G as a personal New Year's gift for Jan 14. I have not had a hint of an injury since. In 6 weeks I will have been injury free for a full 12 months. The last time I managed that was 1990!!!!

I am now in the position where my body feels strong enough to do a half marathon and full marathon within a month of each other and am confident that I ill enjoy them, run better than I have done in years and come out the other side fit to take on the next challenge.

x

• Chris what a brilliantly positive post! I have done as few run/walks while I have been here but not ass many as I would have liled. but in just over a week I have covered over 50 miles between running and walking and the walks have all been pretty tough. Last time we were here two years ago was the start of my bad knee injury. I am pretty sure that it was steep descent on a hike that did it so I am determined for that not to happen. 

When we are back at home I can build up the long runs again and maybe I will try that 10/30 ratio and see how it goes for me

• Thanks Mathschick.

Fingers crossed you will return with both knees intact. Are you back yet?

I've been reading up about heart rate monitor training (John Parker and also Maffetone) to complement/supplement the RW training, enabling me to have like a second opinion on my progress. Anyway, I hate the HRM strap that came with my Garmin so I have now bought a Mio Link bracelet that does the same thing. I'm told they are accurate, so we'll see.

i used my Mio today for the first time, having set my HR range using Parker's formula. He says 75% is right for marathon pace So that is what I set my upper alert at. For me that's no higher than 142bpm.

It was a rolling hilly 10 mile course, unlike the Chester course which I believe is flatter: but it's hills or nothing in the sunny Pennines. I set my interval timer at 20/30 as I guessed from my breathing on previous hilly runs that this would probably support a 75%HR run and then concentrated on the HR readings on my Garmin I.e. I ignored looking at my time/pace.

20/30 was pretty much spot on, except on the particularly hilly bits, where I had to take an occasional extra walk to keep my HR under control. 

Okay so this ended up slow - 12:55 m/pace. However, that pace would give me a 5:35 marathon, which would be a PB by almost 20mins in my second marathon. 

All good food for thought.

C

• cealceal ✭✭✭
    Hello all,

I do read this thread but haven't posted recently for this I apologise! I will start to do so again, starting Oct time, when I hope I will have got my act together again.

I don't really have much to tell you, I am just ticking along with much shorter runs than yourselves, I do admire all of you running the very long runs.

My agenda is different to you all, I am only interested in shorter faster running, but I am very interested to see where the run/walk approach will take me by taking a very different training schedule to that I have taken in the past. But I need to include some interval work, in order to take the next step forward in increasing my pace, which I will be doing from Oct until Dec inclusive.

Chris

I am very impressed with what is going on with you. All best for the race, I shall read about it!

All for now, see you all in Oct, but you can be assured that I am reading all your posts.
  • Hi

yes, we are back. Knees are ok, but yesterday I went for a run/walk, did 20/30 to keep it slow and easy and half way through started getting a pain at the bottom of my right calf/achillies area. I am hoping that the main problem is just tight calves from all the hill walking in walking boots, but it was getting worse towards the end so I walked the last mile. 9 miles altogether, so shorter than I would have liked given that I am 7 weeks away from York. I am doing plenty of stretching today and will maybe try to book myself in for a massage before going back to work

• cealceal ✭✭✭
    Chris

All best for your race, you are missed on the other thread and it has been mentioned. I think all would like to know how you are going right now.
  • VERY excited....have received a confirmed Charity Place for London Marathon 2015. Just what I needed to keep the motivation going. If all goes well and I make it to the start line I am definitely RWR on the day - apart from anything else why wouldn't you walk regularly to soak up the atmosphere?!

• Chris good luck at the GNR on Sunday image

Congratulations Leigh on your Marathon place

• Chris - good luck on Sunday

Leigh - brilliant news image

• Brilliant Leigh

mathschick - how's the running going. It feels really strange me not being back at work  this September. How's things with you?

• Hi Chris - I am good, have started at a new school this September so it feels a bit strange but in a few weeks I will have settled in and all will be fine. Kids seem brilliant and there is a really relaxed feel about the place. Running is ok, but I have a little calf niggle, well not sure if it is calf or achillies, no doubt brought on by all the hiking in the Alps over the summer, then ramping up the distances running because York marathon is looming. Fingers crossed it just sorts itself out!

• Hi all,

How did you get on in the GNR Chris? It looks an amazing event, I'd love to do it one year.

Mathschick - how are you feeling about York? I'm u to 17 miles and feeling terrified and excited all together. hopefully a 20 miler this Friday and then start tapering.

Hope everyone's running is going well.

Lisa

• Hi all I've just watched this lecture/Q&A session by Jeff Galloway on You Tube and the ought you might be interested.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQfOMrEEmF4

Rain - Sorry i hadn't seen you post. I did a very slow and quite disappointing GNR. It was very warm for running and very crowded on the day. Lots of people said their times were down. Anyway, I did it in 2:35, my slowest ever. It was a build up to Chester marathon, so we'll see how I am in that.   Saying all that I was 84th out of 230 F60-64, so maybe I'm just wanting to be 25 again. Haha C
  • hi all

Chris - I think it is impossible to do a good time at something like GNR - you just have to see it as doing it for the experience of the big race I think. Good luck for Chester

rain - erm, I am feeling very unprepared, I don't feel as fit as I did for the Welsh marathon earlier this year! Today I should have done the Nottingham half but have been under the weather all weekend so decided not to do it. What will be will be at York and I think I will be slower than at Llanelli but never mind!

• Mathschick - probably a wise choice today. I'm told it was really hot at Nottingham today and runners in the marathon were dropping like flies.

I'm not sure if I'm doing Chester next weekend. I've had a sub-talar joint lock (the bone that makes the foot move up and down) following GNR. I was fine during the race, then 2 days after my ankle swelled up and hasn't been right since, very uncomfortable, and can't move my foot properly. I think it was all the zig zagging around the many runners.

I have managed to do my training because of RWR but I don't want to limp around a marathon to end up with a long time off with injury. Gutted if I can't do it as there are supposed to be 10 of us doing it from the club, including my daughter. Grrr!!!