The RW Forum Six - The Pitch Thread

HERE IS YOUR CHANCE !!!!

Have you been shunned by Asics?

Stuck in a training rut?

Got a marathon place and can only run round the block??

Busy busy busy and no time to train??

I have six lovely mentors all lined up and chomping at their Mizunos to get involved

All you have to do is to tell us why you should be given the prize of the millenium

YOUR PITCH

Should not threaten to harm small animals
Should not send people to sleep or need a screen break

It will contain your hopes for a marathon time
It will contain your marathon entry confirmed
It will contain a brief running history of recent times and pb's

We would love to hear all about YOU, strengths, weaknesses and limitations

---------------------------------------

This thread will close at Midnight on 22nd December and then Kittenkat and her esteemed Adjudicator(s) will cogitate the pitches and we will then announce the LUCKY SIX on 28th December for a cracking start to someones New Year

Asics 6??  As they said on Channel 4 ... thanks for the warm up     image

Comments

• Sorry for the cut n paste from last years thread but .... get pitching !!

• Is that your pitch Minni ??

• She's got my vote. Short and sweet. 

• Get spreading the word guys n gals .... no harm in a bit of spamming in this case  image

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

I'll get it on twitter and facebook. image

• Err umm, errr maybe! squeezing a couple of marathons in between a couple of ultras. Not sure if that means my training will be a bit screwed up and i'm a bit slowwwwww.  Not exactly the pitch of the century.... Oh and i'm injured and out of running for a couple of weeks.

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    I work for a massive company, if I get everyone to vote for me does that mean i win?
  • right here I go.......

was lucky enough to be picked for the forum 6,  3 years ago...with the help of my brilliant mentor I managed to smash by PB by 28 mins.( it had taken me 4 years to take 8 mins off )......and the icing on the cherry was I went sub 4image

2 days later I broke my big toe and my running stopped and never got going again properly as I was focused on the bike and going longer and longer....

so fast forward to now and I started concentrating on running after IMW and am starting to get some good improvements....

I am thinking of getting back to sub 4 standard and even go for GFA 4:50.......looking at the rock and roll marathon

ran a 24:43 5k in training this morning.seasons bestimage

• Good to get the ball rolling Seren, thank you image

• Oh and I forgot to put any times.......

i think I have failed at the first hurdle.

current marathon time 4:36:59 want around 4:20 signed up to Milyon Keynes 5th May and LochNess 28th Sept.

have 3 ultras between them booked. That's it for my 2014.

• i'll get writing and be back. . . 

• Its all about the pitches guys ...  sell yourselves  image

• That's my weakness, selling myself!

I'll do my best. . . image
  • MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Just tell it as it is MM image

• Seren Nos - please could you describe what type of poster you are and what we can expect if you have your own training thread.

• I vote for all of the above. Does the final selection partly depend on what mentors there happen to be and what their experience is?

• What the hell, might as well ...

I started running 5 years ago, but have never been a racer as I'm not competitive and just run for my own enjoyment and health.  Have only ever done a local 10 k a few times, PB for that 55:46, but never had any desire to run a marathon.  I think I've always felt it was beyond me. 
    This year, however, I made it round the Outlaw.  The 'run' took me 6½ hours but it planted a seed, and made me think that I actually could do 26.2, and put in a decent effort.
    Had a massive falling-out-of-love with running after Outlaw, scaled things right back and have started to build up gradually again.  I was convinced that I'm a 10min/miler, but the big surprise has been that, having started to use Chrissie W's interval sessions, I've taken 45sec off that pace.
    I think my biggest limiter is psychological.

I've entered the Loch Ness Marathon (September 28th)

Stubborn old mare seeks mentor to get her round her first (stand-alone) marathon in 4:15/4:30

• Lol Max ...    .....   image

Literatin, the usual format is the same as the Asics times, the sub 3 down to the Just Finish, thats not to say that we would rigidly stick to those times, its a rough outline

The final selection is down to selling yourself, showing that you are motivated and committed

• Nursey, you could have got bonus points for mentionning your fabulous mentor for Outlaw   image

• Maxpower North West wrote (see)

Seren Nos - please could you describe what type of poster you are and what we can expect if you have your own training thread.

I am a mouthy cow .... who talks too much and i will bore you with the intricate details of my training but will miss out the info on bowel movements

• Deep breath, here I go!

I'm an asics reject from the sub 4 categoryimage.  Having jumped on the forum to drum up votes and heard about this, I think it would be great fun to try to beat my asics counterpart in the Paris marathon, which I'm entered in.  I think the competitive edge will be fun and I bet I'll thrive off it.

I've been running for about 5 years but seem to have magically become quicker in the last year, which I put down to triathlon training and developing a bit more of a can do attitude rather than holding back. 

PBs are 5k 21:22 (probably never to be repeated!), 10k 48 (I think I can go quicker but don't often run this distance), half marathon: 1:45:25 (this Oct) and marathon 4:21 (VLM last year).

Smashing my half marathon PB by 13 mins in Oct was a huge boost for me and I did it without a real training plan.  I'm hoping that means I can get under 4 hours with some room to spare!

Pick me!image

• Great idea Meldy. Looking forward to seeing how this develops.

• Is the "prize" that you get on-line mentoring on this forum?

• Hi all,

Would like to throw my hat in the ring as a very new runner with a place in the Edinbrugh Marathon and Reading Half confirmed for next year to aim at.

My running career is short but I have been well and truly hooked and my biggest problem is finding a plan that suits my current (limited) progress and has enough variety to keep me on my toes.

Last year a friend was doing the 5k every day in December and I joined them for my first run in probably 20+years.  I managed 3k and then walked the rest but weirdly I really enjoyed it.  In May I discovered a local ParkRun and have run much more regularly ever since.

As with a lot of people I ran far too fast and far too much to start and ended up hobbling round my first 10k race and on crutches for 2 weeks afterwards.  In an effort to understand how to do it properly I came to these forums and got some great advice about how to build up properly.

Now I run much more sensibly and have had far less health problems plus I have completed 2 half marathons which I never would have thought were in me.  Plus I have started to eat more sensibly and lost over 1.5 stone this year with more to come.

My times

5k 24:04

10k: 57:44

Half Marathon: 2:04:03

Marathon time:  Probably around or below 4:30 according to the predictors.  Bit hard to tell as dont feel I ran either of my half's particularly well.

My biggest limitation is that I have found I struggle for motivation without a target to aim for (hence next years entries) and a plan to run to but as I have never attempted anything this big before I would appreciate the support of a mentor.

Thanks for reading this far image

• The Grinch wrote (see)

Is the "prize" that you get on-line mentoring on this forum?

It most certainly is .... if you look around the Spring Marathon section you will see that quite a few of the threads from recent years are still going  image

• Dont forget if you are at the pointy end there is room for you too ...  !!

• OK, here goes,

Like Ruffles i am also an asics reject but from the sub 5 category.

No small animal threats from me - i love 'em image

would love to break 5 hours for a marathon (4:30 would be a dream!), and i would love to do it at Paris, as then my motivation will be to try and beat the sub 5 asics winner (for a bit of friendly competition!), however unfortunately i have not yet secured my entry as i am waiting for pay day! (its 113 euros!)
    If i dont get in to Paris, then I will be entering the North Dorset Marathon instead which is a month later.

I have definite unfinished business with road marathons as the last time i did a road one was at London in 2012, when i was so underprepared i ended up dragging myself round in 6:18 (yes i know practically a walk, but it was for charity so hopefully that makes it acceptable!)

I've been running since early 2011 when i was just about managing a mile, and increased from there. Over the last 3 months my weekly mileage has been anywhere between 18 miles and 35 miles depending on if i am training or not.
    I run my local parkrun regularly and have marshalled a few races too. image

I've done 3 off road marathons this year:  day 3 of jurassic coast challenge; Giants Head Marathon; and Purbeck Marathon and got my currently best time of 5:46 in the last one, and considering the hills, i think i could be in with a chance of getting under 5 hours on a flat course!

my other race times are:
    5k - 26:42
    10k - 59:34
    10 mile - 1:35:18
    half - 2:16:28

race time predictors put my expected marathon time as anywhere between 4:15 and 4:41 depending on which of these race times you use, but the longer i go, the more the predicted marathon time goes up, so clearly i have a lot of work to do in the long run department.
    I have no trouble with the mental side, as my sheer bloody mindedness means i dont quit if i can still walk, but the physical side needs training and assistance, as a tend to lose a lot of oomph in the later stages!
    Hoping i havent bored you, thanks for listening image
    fingers crossed image

• I NEED MOTIVATION!

I'm a 3:23 Marathon runner 2009. Needing to get into the 3:10 bracket??

I have new P.B's this year in the 5 and 10k's with 20:04 and 41:39.

Lacking motivation as there are no running clubs near me!

I have entered a few marathons next year and the first one is Lochaber in April.Also doing Edinburgh in May and an Olympic length Tri in July.

I know I am capable with the right help and pushing.

What do you guys think? Possible?

Rich.