RunningRed Sub-4 with Brian.

2»

Comments

• Miles run this week 30.4! I should be pleased to be back on track but I think I've had a bad week. Did 14 this morning - 2.23 So there was lots of smelling the coffee - average pace 10.15 but I hated every minute of it .....possibly the weather, running solo ... It was a grim run and I never felt that I got into it.

Monday 5.3 slow - Wednesday 8 miles slower than it should have been. Parkrun slow but I had been out on Friday night so self inflicted slowness but still 26.48 minutes of effort. I think this week has been a slow week so I need a push

this week - 8 miles Tuesday, 6-ish Thursday ..... Might have a recovery run tomorrow depending on legs? Sunday half marathon ... Does this sound like a plan?

Red

• Red, know exactly what you mean about this morning! Purgatory for me too. Could've happily stayed in bed. Then after the first loop of just over 2 hours I was empty. But I was in company and we looked at each other - noone wanted to be the one to throw in the towel. We did another loop of just under an hour and it felt awful. Feel for you running solo.

You did it!! And this has been a good comeback week. I wish I was with you on the Barca trip. Keep it easy as you feel this week, maybe some fartlek thurs.

Enjoy!

• Miles run last week - 21.4...so a bit of a low mileage week.

Tuesday 8.3 miles - really good run average splits just under 9 min pace - really enjoyed it, def more in the tank at the end so I was feeling good about Barca half.

Planned Thursday run didn't happen, too many distractions and friends twisting arms. walked 6-8 miles on Friday. 3 days as a tourist is not a good way to prepare for a race. Sunday morning felt rubbish, very tired. Approached race in 4 Parkrun segments. 1st 5k awful - tired and thirsty, second 5k better with water on board. 3rd 5 k not bad and at that stage I was happy that I would 'scrape' sub 2. last 5 k bad as the sun was out and no breeze from the sea. Happy enough with the time taking everything into account - it could have been slightly better if I'd had a more positive approach at the start. I could easily have dropped out in the early stages! Splits were ok, 28,27,27,28

Legs feel okay today so I'll do club run as a recovery session. Run 8-9 on Wednesday. Park run on Saturday. 16 on Sunday - does this sound ok? I kind of feel I'm not improving, not getting any faster.

Hows your knee?

Red.

• Hi RED, sounds like the Barca weekend was a good one. That would've put me off though, the stay before the race instead of after. I couldn't relax knowing that the race was still to do.

Anyway, sounds like you have come thru it unscathed which is the point really.

To run faster, you need to train faster. And that means run slower too. The week needs some structure and some focal points. You have Saturday which will be tempo, so I would make Wednesday an interval/fartlek session session.
    This will get you running fast.
    I'm guessing it will be ~80mins?

So jog 20mins easy to warm-up, then run 10-8-6-4-2-1 minutes with 90s recoveries (either standing or walk/slow jogs).
    The 10min should be about mp, then increase the pace by about 10-15s per mile for each hard bit, something like:
    10mins @ 8:50
    8mins @ 8:35
    6mins @ 8:20
    4mins @ 8:05
    2mins @ 7:50
    1min @ 7:35

Should leave you with about 20mins jog cool-down

Each hard segment should be a little faster than the previous one, so by the 2 and 1min, you should be breathing hard!

• Oh knee update. I've not run since last Thursday, I won't be running today. Hoping to be right for Snake Lane on Sunday. I haven't been sulking though, been to the gym Friday and Monday!!

• Hope the knee behaved and you were able to run today? I had a bad day in the office run - all in the mind as I feel fine now! 

Miles run this week 31.7 - good runs this week 2, bad runs 2

monday 4 mile recovery run with the club, ran at the back 10-11 min miles. good plod. Chickened out of intervals but did run 8.8 miles on Thursday that included a quick Physio appointment to get my knee zapped. It's fine. First 6.6 miles 9.2min average and the 2.2 miles home after the Physio slightly quicker. Enjoyed the run, it felt quicker and there was more in the tank. Yesterdays  Parkrun so, so quicker than previous but I didn't feel positive so that's the 1st bad run - and I let someone overtake that I know I can beat.

The second bad run was today's 15.88 - I smelt the coffee as it was really slow 10-11 min pace. Head not in the right place as I started struggling after 6-8 miles. I had company from 9. Feel fine now which makes me cross as I should have enjoyed it - need to give myself a good talking to! 

plans for this week.

recovery run tomorrow - I'm leading and have planned a flat out and back - non stop for 30 mins... This way I can take it easy. Last run I'm leading until May.

Tuesday - the intervals that I avoided last week?

Thursday - 9 miles at 9 mins or quicker - I manage quicker splits on some sections and the last 2 miles are always the best even thou it's up hill

Saturday - long slow steady plod 16-17 miles and a big dose on positive thinking

need to start back doing more club runs as they help with running faster. Can't really run down steep downhills which is why I've stayed away but running with the club pushes me to run faster and I think it's what I've lost over the past month. If it's a really steep downhill I'll just have to walk and they'll have to wait!

Red.

• Hi Red, considering the knee niggle and the fact that you raced last weekend, this week has been very satisfactory I would say. Tiredness (physical AND mental) is a huge factor in training at this stage, and therefore you should make a conscious effort to eat/drink well, sleep well (try and get to bed a little earlier) and keep the stress levels as low as possible (I know this is tough when we are pressured 9-5). Try and run different routes (this is not always possible), even down to running your usual circuit the other way round. This can freshen your approach a little to combat the feeling of the "usual toil". 

As far as this week is concerned, hopefully you will feel a little more energised on Tuesday so yes, if you can tackle the interval session. Try not to battle the whole thing at once, it may be easier just to think of each hard segment as a run on it's own. Don't get hung up if the first 1 or 2 feel hard. The beauty of this session is that it feels easier, because it's shorter, but you will still tend to run faster naturally, even without consciously trying to.

Thursday, try and do 25-30mins of harder running in there. Ideally you would tempo (running at 10k-10mile pace for the duration), if not split it into 2 or maximum of 3 segments. This will in effect substitute your 5k parkrun.

Hope to see you at some point, for definite on Sunday. Well done with the organisation by the way.

• I'm not running yet. Had a lovely day out at the snake Lane 10 though. Watched the race, and then pub lunch. image

• Miles run this week 35.3... most miles for over a month and it's been a good week.

Monday club run lead by me 5 miles - supposed to be at recovery pace for me but it was quicker than intended

Tuesday 8.3 out and back slower than intended 9.3 average pace but I'm blaming the pace on Monday

Thursday - attempted intervals...set off too fast, couldn't maintain pace and then gave up - 5 miles overall average 8.3 min miles. 

Saturday - longest run since last April - 17 non stop miles. Pace quicker than it should have been Miles 1-8 average 9.5 min miles. Probably because I was running up and down the road through Bingley. Miles 9-14 10 min pace on the flat canal. Last 3 the intended attempt to pick up the pace 9.3 min miles. I didn't look at my watch so the pace was me "running" thinking it was slow as it felt ok - they only time I focused on pace was the last 3 when I tried to dig in! A completely different run to last week and I was solo.

feel okay - legs still talking to me and it was a nice morning for run ????

• Brian61Brian61 ✭✭✭

Hi Red, was good to see you this morning and catch-up. Hope the post race refreshments went down ok. Wednesday I am picking Mrs B up from Leeds Bradford Airport at 7.30. So unless you can start at 5.30 I'm snookered. 

• Hi Brian, I thought I might manage to leave work early but I cant so will have to miss intervals.

Proposed plans for this week -

8-9 miles tonight - 9 min pace or quicker if I can. Running with Jeremy who wants a 'slow' run so his slow should be my MP?

Wednesday - Intervals

Thursday possible club run/ distance TBC (Medium or short depending on route)

Saturday - Parkrun

Sunday - long run 18 miles will try and slow pace down with the aim of upping the pace for last 3?

Peco catering was a success, apparently the best spread of the season!

• Brian61Brian61 ✭✭✭

Hi Red, Congrats on the catering!!!image

Not to worry on the intervals front. I'm sure having had a go already you will be closer to the mark this time. Silly question.... do you have your garmin set to lap pace as opposed to current pace? If you have it set to lap pace and hit the lap button before every hard segment, I can't see how/why you could go wrong?

Great idea running with a bloke who is quicker than you. Test him. Tell him the pace you want to the second, and if he fails, poke him in the eye! Or maybe the hipimage

Sunday - yes make a conscious effort to make it progressive. Give yourself a reasonable chance by setting off slowly. Think of it as a 3 stage run, something like:

5M easy (maybe 10-10:30m/m), 8M moderate (9:15-9:45), 5M ~ MP (8:50-9:15).

This is only a suggestion. You might want to split it differently, according to the loops/route you have planned. Try and ensure you (at least) finish on a flat bit as your target race is flat. 

• Miles run this week 36.5 and it's been a funny week.

Monday 8 with Jez - 9 min pace. Was hoping for a bit quicker but tank a bit empty. He let me decide pace and apparently enjoyed "gentle" pace - that's when my foot could have gone in the hip.

Wednesday didnt run, didn't do intervals, chickened out. Bottled it.

Thursday 6 miles club run - good to be back and pace was good, apart from me not restarting my watch in the middle - 1st two miles 9 min pace up hill. Middle bit missing but I did push it., Last two miles 8.30 pace. Obviously there were regrouping stops but it felt like a good run.

Saturday Park run - 1 mile warm up at 10 min pace and then a PB! 25.46 Last PB was end Nover bet and closest Ive come to improving it was end Jan. Frank was pacing someone that I didn't want to beat me so the green eyed monster came out. Didn't realise I'd PB'd until I finished. Bit of a much need boost.

Today 18.5 miles - empty tank at the end so no turbo finish. Started off 3 miles bang on 10 min pace - next 3 are a bit quicker and then the rest are pretty much 10. - 10.2 Pace. Ran out of water as I wasn't expecting it to be as warm. Had over mapped the route so walked 1+ miles home. Yesterday's Parkrun will have had an effect and I won't be Park running the day before the marathon.Last weeks long run was a much better run - felt better and there was something left in the tank but then this marathon training is a roller coaster. Lady I was running with got second wind for last 5 miles but it wasnt happening for me.

this week - not fully decided. Can't really fit in club sessions which is a bit disappointing as I do think they help. Depending on knee I might run tomorrow evening. Can't run Tuesday as Im away with work. Run Wednesday after PM session. Thursday got Physio but will do some sort of run. Long run on Saturday, 20 miles 

Hope you were happy with yesterday's Dent time - you were tempted by the 8 mile warm up or Parkrun starter!

• Brian61Brian61 ✭✭✭

That's a decent week all told. Congrats on the 5k pb..... I think the mini taper would've helped there. Just try and keep the miles ticking by. It's not always easy fitting in the training, life does tend to get in the way from time to time. Try and do one session of faster running, ideally the intervals but whatever suits/you can fit in at the time.

My Dent run was a success in that I didn't end up limping. My knee held true, but to be honest, I didn't push the pace.

This week and next week should ideally be your biggest weeks, and longest runs. 

• Miles run - 36. I missed one of the runs I had planned.

8 miles Monday with Jez. 8 miles on Thursday and 20 miles yesterday.

I enjoy the weekday runs, the long run was torture and I nearly gave  up after 10 miles. But I did 20 miles, non stop and very slow 10+ min miles. It didn't feel as if there was anything left to posh the pace towards the end. But when I get home I feel fine so maybe it's all in the mind.

this week should be a better week.

Monday - 8 miles with Jez - he said he will pace me to do 8.3 min miles. I want the average to be sub 9 min miles. Some splits are always quicker but average pace is always 9 min miles.

run Wednesday - not sure what to do pace wise and distance

club run Thursday, Parkrun on Saturday and last long on Sunday.

Is there any point at this stage doing track/intervals. What's the best approach at this stage?

• Brian61Brian61 ✭✭✭

RED, Another good week and well done getting the 20 miler in. These are the most beneficial runs mentally as well as physically. It's always a battle with the CNBA fairies, and you saw them off good and proper.

I certainly wouldn't recommend you going on the track at this stage, but with 4 weeks to go, one or two faster sessions wouldn't go amiss. I'm fine with todays run, but be prepared to feel a little leggy after your effort on Saturday. Wednesday or Thursday (whichever suits you best) I would suggest you do some 5k paced running. Something like 8x3mins with 60s recovery, or 6x4mins with 90s recovery. Maybe use the path round the cricket field at Roberts Park?

Let me know when and where you plan to do the session, as I think I could join you on Thursday but have a mtg Wednesday at 7:45pm.

• Brian61Brian61 ✭✭✭

I'm talking bo****ks again. I can't make Thursday either! 

• Miles run this week, a lot.

Monday 7.8 still 9 min average but we were talking I reckon if I'd shut up it would have been average sub 9 min miles. Anyway it was quicker than the previous week.

Wednesday - I bottled the 5k interval laps as I don't know what I'm doing and I get in a state about it. However I did run 5.5 miles at 10k race pace. The first 3 splits bang on 8.4 min miles last two splits were quicker with last mile nearly 8 min mile, nearly! I don't know why I get in a state about the interval, structured stuff but I do.

Thursday - club run. I wanted an easy plod after the previous night but it was a bit harder as it featured Carr Lane a few other drags that I have been known to inflict on people when I'm leading. It's the decent that's the problem. knees not happy 6.7 miles at varying paces slow fast slow fast.

Saturday Parkrun was on the slow side but my legs have done a lot this week. It felt comfortable and if I'd seen someone I wanted to beat it might have been better. 26.37 on my watch

Today - just short of 21 miles. Haven't a clue what pace as my watch died at 6 miles and I didn't have company until a further 10 miles. The pace for the last 3-4 was 10 minute ish. My legs were sore and as usual I gave into the 'woe is me, tired legs' so plodded on Rather than attempt to up the pace. 

So that's a lot of miles and I'm still walking, just about. 44 miles, most I've run since last year.

this week? Probably better to rest tomorrow night? Club on Tuesday and squeeze in 10 miles before PM on Wednesday. I'm away with work on Thursday which is a pain. I would like to do Parkrun on Saturday as I should have rested legs and have thought of adding on my long run so I can have a lie in next Sunday when the clocks go back, or is that cheating. Physiologically I feel better if I don't stop on the long runs and for the past 2/3 Ive done non stop. If i do Parkrun it's timing it to arrive at the start in time and the getting away quickly after wards. I know I should do it the other way round 15 miles and the. Parkrun but it will be a slow one and that will annoy me!

Still a bad week for an old lady!

• Brian61Brian61 ✭✭✭

RED, Rest if you can tonight. You have deserved it. Nothing wrong with your progressive 5.5M on Wed, that was a really good tempo run!

Your plan for this week sounds good. Cut volume slightly only this week, (should be down to 80% of your normal average weekly mileage). Combining parkrun with long run is fine. But make sure your long run is no further than 16miles.

I go on holiday for a week on Saturday, so won't be on-line. So next week cut volume again. Try and keep the faster stuff in but just less miles. 2nd week out should be down to 60% of your normal mileage. So if you've been averaging 34 miles per week, next week should be down to about 21. Long run of about 9 or 10miles.

So could be something like Mon 3M, Tues 4M, Thurs 4M, Sat 10M incl. parkrun 

You will start to feel pretty good within next week, but don't make the BIG mistake of running further and/or faster. Allow the muscles to recover.

• I'm resting tonight - surprisingly tired today!  I was thinking 16-17 on Saturday. Wasn't sure about next week but 3-4 shorter runs sound ok, assuming some of them should have a bit of speed?

Have a good holiday!

• Brian61Brian61 ✭✭✭

The general concensus on marathon tapers is for the last 3 weeks to go something like 80%, 60% and 33% of your normal weekly volume. But try and keep the effort/intensity the same. So for instance where you might normally run 4M @ 9m/m, keep the pace the same but decrease the volume - so this run might become 3M @ 9m/m.

The secret to Saturday is that it shouldn't feel too hard, and it certainly shouldn't wipe you out. So maybe don't be too hard and fast with the target miles, probably better to run to a time that is reasonably comfortable to you, mentally as well as physically. I think what I'm trying to say is that you have completed the hard work, Saturdays run should be more enjoyable than your other long runs. If this means that you run for 2 hours and this amounts to 12 miles, so be it.

What I try to do in the last 1 or 2 long runs is build in some "errands". Go visit people that you haven't seen for a while. This takes the pressure off of miles, pace etc etc. I've visited aunties, had a cup of tea, run to the swimming baths had a swim and then continued. I've also purposefully dropped the car off somewhere and then run to pick it up! Another good one is getting dropped off, or get the train out and run back. Try and do something a little different to your other long runs. A lot to be said for novelty value.  

• Hi Brian - hope you have had a good week away?

last week finished with a combi Parkrun/long run 16 miles. Wouldn't do it again as I ran out of steam at the end. Lesson learnt. I had no intention of pushing it at Parkrun but on the second lap I saw someone I didn't want to beat me so I went a bit quicker. So each lap was quicker which is how it should be but 9 miles later I was tired. The runs earlier in the week were a mixed bag - bad club run as I needed up with newbie at the back who was very inexperienced. Good 9.3 mile run following day. Faster second half. Think I've conditioned myself to running slowly on the canal because as soon as I came off I started to run faster

4 miles on Monday Club run. Pushed it and splits all sub 9. Thursday 6.3 miles again all 10k splits. 3.75 miles yesterday gentle trot - and today 10.5 good run but slower than I hoped as it was conversation pace but last miles were a bit quicker than earlier ones.

So it's done, can't undo what's done, can't redo what I didn't do so 'what will be will be'. left Achilles isn't brilliant, knee is grumpy again other than that I'm fine.

was planning gentle trot on Tuesday and Thursday - 3 miles just to keep legs ticking over

• Brian61Brian61 ✭✭✭

Hi RED, relax now you are almost there. 2 runs of ~ 30mins sounds pretty good to me. Plenty of stretching, drink, carbs and sleep. You might find that you feel a little lethargic. This is normal as the muscles are recovering and taking on fuel/fluid.

What is your bib number?

• I'm number 23900 ....its my lucky number!

• Brian61Brian61 ✭✭✭

Congrats RED on a solid performance. Recover well and come back stronger. Hopefully no niggles on your next campaign.

Onward and upward!