Sunday 22nd December 2013

Morning.

Lyrics - If I go hard, let me tell you that it's worth it

Boy is it wet, wild and windy here - it's lashing against the windows and howling round the hotel - but the race would appear to be on so I shall be in it. Mad or what?

What:             26.2 miles round the coast and back
Why:              to see how far it is?
Last hard:      steeling myself to go out in this is going to be hard
Last rest:        21/12

Yesterday's lyrics - Fairytale of New York by The Pogues.

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.

Comments

• What: rest day with the family I think

why: seems a good idea and last true rest seems a while ago

hope all goes well. Take it steady would be my advice but I know you'll ignore that!image

• Morning!

Looking forward to a report later!

What: 30 mins faily easy, although I do struggle running before 9.
    Why: collect car, including running up Vale Road. Was in the Crown last night, OH, amongst other establishments!

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Afternoon.

Good luck LMH.

What...  13 miles d&d

Why...  the programme told me to do 14... but it was a very hilly route.

Last hard: today

Last rest: Friday

Lyrics... no

• G'day guys!

What?  16km

Why?   For fun 

Last Hard? Today

Last Rest? Saturday

Lyrics?  None

Notes: TFL's still sore. Have realised it is most probably due to weak Glut medius. 1 legged squats last night + isolated glut medius clams = bum on fire!

• Portsmouth Coastal Marathon

Well although the wind as still howling this morning it was dry when we arrived at the race start - until about ten minutes before the off when the heavens opened and it poured down! With about five minutes to go I gave up, stripped down to my vest and shorts and pushed into the middle of the crowd for some shelter. Such was the noise of the steel drums that were playing that the first I knew of the start was seeing the people in front of me start running. Pretty soon I was over the timing mats and off for a flying first mile down the esplanade with the wind behind me. I knew that it was too fast but as usual decided that the 'first mile is free'. Lots of chatty people in the first few miles which was nice. The rain stopped quite soon after we were off and I settled into the run. The course was interesting - a bit like an old fashioned school cross country or an adventure race. Not much in the way of tarmac, lots of trail, some of which was very muddy, puddles that were large, muddy and deep, two sections of shingle beach which we crossed twice, through the woods, next to the sea, by the side of a busy road - lots to look at. In places I was struggling to stay on the path where the wind was blowing so strongly off the sea but I managed to find a few people to tuck in with and was having some nice chats.

The day brightened up, the grey skies were replaced by sunshine and the miles were ticking by most comfortably at sub 8s. Along the Billy Trail, turn round and hey, on the way home already. The great thing was that the course looked quite different in the opposite direction, the tide was coming in, further changing the landscape and some of the views were beautiful. I couldn't think of anywhere else I'd rather be or anything else I'd rather be doing today. At some point I made it into a little group with two guys, a very chatty Roger and a less so Mr White Cap. I said that I'd be happy if we could keep ticking along at 8 min miles and that if they took m home in less than 3.30 I'd buy them a beer if ever they found themselves in Derby.

I didn't always see the mile splits as my wrist was a little numb so I wasn't feeling the Garmin vibrate (I don't have an audible alarm) and the mile markers were positioned where they could get them rather than strictly at the mile points but I felt I was ticking along quite happily. At just past sixteen miles the man in front of me stopped dead in the middle of the path at a drinks station, it was on wet tarmac on a downward slope and I went flying, 'measured my length' as it were. I was straight up, palms stinging, shoulder jarred, knee hurting and the mood somewhat ruined, I'd also dropped the bottle of water that I'd picked up at the drinks station. Picked myself straight up with Roger expressing his concern, started running and did a little mental inventory. Palms very sore, not a problem for running, shoulder hurts, shake arms out and relax, knee is sore, don't look unless you're going to do something about it. Made an effort to take in the view, remember how fortunate I was to be able to run and put the smile and positive attitude back in place. Roger shared his water with me - top man. The aches and pains receded and I concentrated on clocking the next couple of mile times to ensure that I was working and to keep it comfortable until the twenty mile mark.

Hit that in 2.37 and knew that if I could just keep running I was on for a PB - mud, puddles and shingle beach still to come notwithstanding. I was gradually catching and passing people from here on in with very few going past me. Mr White Cap had disappeared at some point, I have no idea if ahead or behind, but Roger was still telling me that we were on track and entertaining me with a marathon tour of the world (he's run loads of marathons in lots of countries). At twenty three

• Ooops - sorry.

At twenty three miles I was doing the math and knew that 9 min miles would get me the PB but I also knew that the last mile along the promenade would be totally exposed and straight into the wind. I lost Roger here as he wasn't as quick across the mud as I and I could see some miles creeping over the 8 minutes but I also knew that I had some time in hand. I focussed on staying comfortable, running strong and picking off any women I could see. At last we hit the esplanade and Mr White Cap reappeared and kindly acted as a windbreak - as much as he could. There was a woman just in front of me but I was working very hard into the wind and couldn't find anything else, with a mile still to go it was all I could do to stay strong and push for that PB. And push I did. There as nothing left for a sprint finish but it didn't matter. I crossed the line in 3.27.11 (chip time); 5th woman and 1st woman 40 - 49. Happy Christmas!

• Brilliant LMH! Great report! I was with you every step of the way! And just think what you might do on a decent course! Happy Christmas indeed!

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • told ya, LMH, didn't I?image. That is absolutely brilliant and more than deserved. Glad the fall didn't cause any lasting damage ... Bet the course is worth about 5 mins over a flat one like VLM . Ace!!

Nice run, NN and hi Dibs image

what: 15 miles up and down a big mean hill (gradient is 15% near the top. ouch.)

why: Boston is hilly

last had:.today

last rest: Monday

lyrics: no
  • Thank you - still smiling here image I keep turning to Mark and saying 'I'm a sub 3.30 marathoner' - not something I'd have dreamt of even a year ago.

Oh it's flat enough chickadeee! Unlike your planned race - good hill repping.

I hope that I can get to this level of running fitness by VLM Alehouse - whilst not the fastest of courses it should certainly beat this one though in some ways the change of surfaces help.

• Brilliant race, LMH, and a fantastically entertaining race report too - very well done indeed on your new pb and finishing position!  You deserve it for all the work you've been doing - very impressive. image

Don't know the lyrics today.

10 miles down by the sea through Innellan and Toward, lovely run in 72:34.  I'm always faster down there, no idea why except it might be cause there are no hills at all.

• DustinDustin ✭✭✭

hello all, 
    Brilliang LmH, absolutely brilliant. You have been putting the work in and by the sounds of it you ran a measured, sensible race. Well done.
    Sounds like a good course , I'd still like to do it one year.
    Good distances covered by many others too.
    Yesterday managed an easy 9.5 miles first thing with the middle 5 off road so as to keep the knee as safe as possible. was pretty foul though, sideways rain and strong gusts so quite pleased. Today went over the woods/fields for a 5 mile recovery. No rain, but knee deep water in places, so good fun! So far,so good injury wise!
    last rest - Friday
    last hard -yesterday

Enjoy what's left of the weekend

• Great run LMH.

Don't be angry at the bloke who stopped dead in his tracks, tripping you up.  You just enjoy your evening, and we'll be angry on your behalf image

• Well done LM.H imageimageimage
    Amazed you still made the effort to write a report straight after
    (and all the *best* people go headlong - even though I had no one else to blameimage )

• RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

LMH Massive well done, that's excellent, well done image

Was tempted a few months back to do that as is not too far from Andover, but chose not to.

1 x 75 min run with Jnr and then later a 30 min tempo run, so 14m for the day

Take care

• GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Nice one LMH

What: CycloX racing, much pain and suffering

Why: big picture

Last hard: today for sure

Last rest: October 2014

Lyrics: No

Common knowledge I am not the happiest person around Christmas but today I am extra grumpy. Move along nothing to see.
  • emzapemzap ✭✭✭

Evening all

LMH that is a fantastic race. image You must be feeling so chuffed 

What: 9km ish hike up a mountain just behind Table Mountain
    Why: the weather was good, and we're off to the UK tomorrow (I did just write "back to the UK" it's been 4 months...)
    Last hard: the top bit of that hike as I was hungry and was only allowed the jelly babies at the top!
    Last rest: not sure
    Lyrics: nope

Have a good one all.

• Fantastic result LMH! Winner of the age group, was there a prize? AND a PB AND a sub 3. Not bad for a blustery Sunday.

Gobi, your cyclo cross sounds hard.

Last night was the Tri Club Dinner. Some wag today said "three courses I presume?"
    This morning was not exactly the fastest start to a day, but eventually I did manage to cycle back to the hotel to fetch my car. Besides that, there were two church services, including the carol service. That went really well. Our choir had 20 members today, that's the most ever.

Tomorrow, I think I'll get up reet early to go and swim the Christmas mile. A timed session, all for a pound, proceeds to Charity! Bargain.

• Little Miss Happy - you made that sound so easy and so much fun apart from the bad fall! Congratulations - great stuff!

Alehouse - glad to hear you are still going well! Congrats on the big purchase!

Chickadee - good training for Boston!

What: Nothing

Why: Sore bum - too much walk/running off-road day before!

Merry Xmas.