Options

2.4Km in 9 mins begginners program help

So hello everybody. This is my first post and my sole reason of joining this forum. Hopefully it will encourage me to stay here and spend some time posting to help or be helped ha-ha.

Looking at the title I no your sitting there thinking "What an Idiot!" but please hear me out. Im a new guy to running (Hence the beginners section). Im looking to get an Ultimate goal of running 2.5Km/1.5miles within 9 mins.

It will be a long process and I have no time limit for this (well 10 years max ha-ha), I understand it will takes years to achieve this but im looking for someone to help me build myself a plan, point me in the right direction for any good tips, and so on.

If your wandering why then its because im bored of my job/life and everything around me and need to start my life again in the RAF and want to be a Regiment Gunner but cant until I get this fitness down to the tee. Its something I really want to do in my life and I no I want it so bad but ive also relised that its not just going to fall on my lap. I have to work for it.

so as I said, I would really appreciate any help from people to reach my ultimatum!

Stats:

Im currently running on a Machine, 5 Min walk 10 min run, 5 min walk 10 min run. pace of 2.4Km in 14 mins

so as you can see I have a lot of work.

I would also like to run 5k continuously eventually for my own satisfaction to run a 5k marathon image

Thanks for reading everyone. sorry its so long. signing out lol! 

Comments

• Options

what are your main problems toi running.

are you short of time......are you overweight....do you smoke/drink heavily etc.

how long have you been doing the 2.5k on the machine and how many times a week.

also have you looked at the parkruns website to see if there are any local ones to you.........

once you regularly cover 5k and reduce the time then you will find the 2.5k much easier task

• Options

Main Problems to running is finding the time. I work 12 hour shifts then im to tired to run after :/      In the mornings is a no go as im up at 4am some days and 6 most.

trying to get that routine is being a pain! its ok when I have a night shift as I can use my running machine mid-day but night time is useless as im in a flat on top floor!

the 2.5K on the machine ive only been doing for a month, 3 days a week. Stopped for xmas for some reason lol. ( I no its not an excuse)

Parkruns... theres one about 5 miles from me but with my crappy job I don't have a life so cant get to it when its running.

Covering 5k, im looking into these apps that's on my phone Couch-5k to get me started.  the beginning days are too easy though so I feel im wasting energy that I can use doing something more worthwhile towards my running. maybe I just need to get that thought out of my head. when you have a goal though its hard to.

• Options

6 minute miles is an incredible challenge, especially for someone who doesn't have the opportunity to properly train. I doubt most runners get to that level (including me). Perhaps you should start with a more realistic goal, maybe being able to run 5k non-stop, and then getting your 5k times down to, say, 25 minutes?

• Options

as you have been ruinning a while start the couch to 5k  a few weeks in at a place where you feel comfortable......

and yes finding the time to run is hard.....can you get a head torch and run outside at night instead of the machine......

• Options

Zach Naylor... My ULTIMATE Goal is to run 1.5 miles in 9 mins. Must be doable for a fair few people otherwise it wouldn't be in the RAF Selection test for Regiment gunners. They wouldn't have regiment gunners if it was that hard.

Agreed.. it will be very difficult for ME to do right now, hence the reason im asking help for the best approach to this. Im not asking for a quick job as im realistic! ive done some running and I no its going to take me a few years but if I want to past that test before im 35 then I need to get started.

Headtorch! I need one of those as my feet tend to end up in ditches and I spraining lol,

• Options

Well, according to the link you've just posted the time for the 2.4km run is 11m11s (for blokes) to achieve a minimum pass of the pre-joining fitness test. It doesn't mention running the 2.4km in anything like 9m so I'm still not sure where you get this from.

I've got plenty of mates in the RAF who I can ask, if you'd like.

• Options

Oops sorry, that was wrong too... rushed to find the link this morning.

I've had a good look around and I agree with you. I say its 1.5 miles in 10mins 30sec.

I really do not no where I saw that 9mins thing.. I no I have though somewhere, could it be the end test after the initial training I saw?

I have still got a lot of work to do to reach the 10min mark and I still need a plan.

• Options
    Just get some running in. You have to start somewhere.

Even with a 12 hour day you should still find time for a 20-30 minute run after work.

You'll need a few months of just steady running before you can get into speedwork.

Do your runs at a steady pace that you could chat at.
  • Options

The good news is that a 7 minute mile pace is a much more do-able proposition.

I reckon with some careful training and a bit of effort you could get there in 12-18 months, based on how quickly I got faster when I first started running, but this will depend on lots of things. Cougie's right though, you just need to get plenty of regular runs in and build a base of fitness without injuring yourself. Start easy and be careful not to overdo it.

Good luck!

• Options

That RAF explanation could be taken two ways. 

"Men – 11 minutes 11 seconds for the run, 20 press-ups and 35 sit-ups"

Its either you have to do the run, pressups and situps all in 11:11 which would probably leave you around 9:30 for the run (45s press ups/45s sit ups) with 11s grace.  Thats pretty tough going.

Or it could be that you get 11:11 for the run itself but then need to complete 20 press ups and 35 sit ups in no given time period.  This would of course be much more achievable!

As others have said above, just get out there and run first and build up fitness that way, only then should you start to think how close you are to achieving the 2.4k run goal.  Try and make time for running, its hard work, nobody will tell you it isnt.  See if you can run in your lunch break if you have showers at work?

And best of all don't give up.  As someone else said if you need to do 2.4k in 9:30 then quite a lot of us will never achieve that in a lifetime.

John