Options

Mutual Support and Encouragement for fellow Newbies

Comments

• Options
    Well done Caroline, running in the rain and glad to hear no knee pain today.

Yes just a couple of days to go ????
  • Options

looking forwards to hearing your updates image 
    Happy New Year to you and yours, heres to 2014! 

• Options
    Kate that's certainly a fantastic goal!

Rivergirl I started with a Race for Life walk one minute, run one minute and it all snowballed from there so easily achievable.

Hope you all have good New Year's Eves - I'm out for a New Year's parkrun in the morning image
  • Options
    Indeed Caroline, and a happy new year to you and your family, here's to a faster 2014.
  • Options
    Good afternoon all - hope you're well. Miserable running conditions out there today, too much of the wet stuff around. Meant to start the new year off with my usual parkrun but as there was a second local one at 10.00 I did both! That's the first time I've ever done that and the furthest that I've run since a 10k in October. Managed to stay relatively dry though!

Anyone else brave the elements today?
  • Options
    Afternoon Trigger2, well done. No rain here, but the wind starting to pick up here so no doubt the rain wont be to far away. I haven't been out today.
  • Options

Hi there , new year new you ! Im going to be starting out running again as of next week i havent run for 2 years and i had a couple of 10ks under my belt ,  feeling very unfit at the moment so looking forward to starting out again looking for some motivation and would love to enter a few runs as havent done that before.  image

• Options

Can anyone recommend best runnings aps on andriod? Thanks

• Options

Hello again to everyone. I went for a run in the howling wind and rain yesterday. The hardest bit was getting out of the door. I made a big performance in front of my family of the fact I was going for a run, who were all in onesies on the sofa enjoying loafing about, and the only thing stopping me from wimping out was having them laugh at me if I changed my mind. So I got out the door, and the rest was doable. I felt so alive!

• Options

Hi there Kate, and well done on getting out there, even though the weather was so bad. 

• Options

Thanks buddy. Can't use a bit of rain as an excuse eh! I've got some lovely running kit for all weather conditions, so no excuses. That's my tip for complete beginners: buy some lovely kit.

• Options
    Well done Kate - I always find it tough to start off in the rain - I don't mind getting wet if it starts raining once I get out there but actually pushing yourself out that door is tough!

Sonia can't help with the android apps I'm afraid - I use a garmin to log my runs etc.

Lovely sunshine out there today - anyone lucky enough to be running today? My next run is parkrun on Saturday and I think conditions might have changed by then (again!)
  • Options

Hi everyone, mind if I join in on your thread? I graduated from the C25k in December so I am a newbie, I did the Brighton Color Run last Summer, haven't done a Parkrun yet but I am registered, looking forward to sharing some hopes and dreams for 2014 running with you

• Options

Hi Mummysaurus,

The more the merrier I'm sure, more people brings more encouragement and thats what we all need.

• Options
    Evening all,

Hope all are well, any one got runs planned for the weekend, at the moment I'm waiting to see what the weather's doing before going out, but Jantastic starts Monday so it'll be run through whatever weather we get.
  • Options

Anyone else just starting out whose legs hurt like mad when they run and their thoughts do everything they can to get them to stop? I really want to run for 30 mins without it being hell, I hear some people actually enjoy running! I am 46 and overweight and have a lower back problem, will it get better??

• Options
    Hi Jooles,

The hurting in the legs will pass as the muscles get used to running. I get that feeling about wanting to stop all the time not sure how to get over that, maybe others have ideas. Overall as you get into your running you will find that it does get better.
  • Options

Evening all,I am also someone who did c25k last year.There where times when it felt like my feet had been replaced by dumbells and wondered if I would complete it.Have just reached the point where I can do 10km (slowly but far faster than the sofa has ever managed it).Apparently the first 10 to 15 minutes is the worst as your bodies thinking what the hell is he doing to meimage.In my limited experience this is true.I think this is a great thread  and long may it run.

• Options
    Well done Chris, plodding is better than sitting and not moving, no matter how slow you go.
  • Options
    Stick with it Chris and Jooles - it does get easier. I've been running for about 8 years now and still find that it takes me time to "settle" into a run! Off out shortly for parkrun I've got my wetsuit, flippers, snorkel and goggles at the ready!
  • Options

Hi all, new to the forum and running. Watched the great north run last year on telly and. Thought I want to do that. So have been working at it since November going out twice a week. I've entered the ballot for Gnr 2014 and waiting fingers crossed. I got mo Farrah's autobiography for Xmas it's very motivating and a good read generally.

• Options

Jooles2 I hear your pain, I still get aching legs, but just take it slow, are you following a plan? As for the negative thoughts when you start out I think everyone gets them while the heart and the breathing settles.......I have a screen saver on my works PC that says " Running is just a series of arguments between the part of your brain that wants to stop and the part that wants to keep going" it's certainly been true for me

Trigger2 hope you have a great parkrun

Nick - good luck with the GNR ballot I watched it last year and like you found it so inspiring 

• Options

Afternoon all, legs will get better they are just adjusting. I'm like trigger takes me a while to settle into a run and I hate hills! I don't think I'm ever going to love them like some people. Going out with the dog soon in between rain showers to plod round the park image

• Options
    Good luck in the GNR ballot Nick - decided not to enter it this year - ??50 is a lot of money and when you add together accommodation, travel from London etc it's really quite a lot of money. Once in a lifetime experience and I'm glad that I did it - seeing Mo Farah and the other athletes competing on the Saturday at the quayside was fantastic. I even got to give Mo a high five at the start of the GNR. I too got his autobiography for Christmas and have just started to read it.

Enjoy your plod around the park Tracey.

For the first time in ages parkrun was wet today. The winds were strong cross winds too and that slowed me down a bit. Not very happy with my time 31:06 but there we go - it's a start image

Good luck to everyone running out there today!
  • Options
    Trigger2 can I ask what's the pre race build up to the gnr as I've not been before. Is it straight forward and how early do you need to by there. I agree 50 pounds is expensive but I'm lucky I will be staying with parents who live across the river from the finish so hoping to catch the ferry across once I finish.
  • Options

hi everyone and welcome! Its so fantastic to have everyone here to help and support each other :O) 

Its great that we're running in this awful weather - imagine how much more pleasant it will be in the Spring! 

I'm not at that stage where I can settle into a run, as I'm still on the walk 90 seconds/run 90 seconds phase. Although, when I tried running before my wedding a couple of years ago I had no schedule to follow, and just kind of went for it. Which failed miserably. I honestly thought there were those that could run (weirdos) and normal people like me...

So, I can't speak highly enough for downloading an app, popping in your earphones, and doing exactly what the lady says. Its very rewarding, and builds you up slowly.

Interested to know if anyone does any other training/gyming? 
    Anyone else on a healthy eating plan? (I'm on a low GI regime)

Keep up the good work troops! We'll be unrecognisable come the summer image X

• Options
    Nick it was miserable in the pens last year as it rained almost from the moment we got in there (and you're in there quite some time) until we finished. Don't go expecting a pb - I did and was disappointed - it's not a pb kind of race - I got my pb at Royal Parks Half Marathon 3 weeks later! The atmosphere in the pens is very friendly - strangers supporting one another all the way. Worth taking the spare clothes to discard when you start running - they're donated to charity. Start practicing your "oggie, oggie, oggie" chants and get ready for a blast!

Caroline I'm back to Slimming World on Wednesday - my target weight is 10st 7lbs (I'm 5'10) and am currently 11st 2lbs so a bit of work to do there!

Had a search through my running gear and found a waterproof cap - think that'll be coming in very handy
  • Options
    Good evening all,

Caroline, hows the runs been going? I had a short run yesterday, did about a mile on run half walk a quarter run a quarter.

I don't do any other training or gym, might look at changing that in the future though. Re eating I'm not changing much, just cutting portion sizes and eating a bit more fruit and less chocolate.
  • Options

Hi, thanks everyone for the encouragement I really need it at the moment. My legs are still sore from a run two days ago but i am going out tomorrow to do the same route to see if it gets any easier. I have registered on jantastic so hopefully that will also inspire. Out walking the dogs today I saw lots of women running, all ages, all sizes, it was great to see.