Options

Mutual Support and Encouragement for fellow Newbies

Comments

• Options
    Yeh get well soon trigger

Well done on the park run Nick

Slap-a-belly well done on the weight loss

I have been and bought a running top and some running tight trousers! I don't really like them but with normal shorts over the top should be OK. I have been running in normal track suit bottoms and they are a bit baggy and long! Let's hope the kit is all OK, the phrase 'all the gear, no idea' comes to mind! image
  • Options
    Great stuff Nathanoz good luck with the running gear, I've got some of the running tights and feel a bit self conscious so wear shorts over the top and it works for me. Sorry to hear you're feeling rough trigger2. Still waiting on my time for park run to come through.
  • Options
    Times are in I shaved 43seconds off last weeks time but I know I can do better I've got 129 seconds to loose. Roll on next Saturdayimage
  • Options

Wow everyone is doing well

hope you feel better soon Trigger

I confess I have loads of running gear image My excuse is that I didn't have anything suitable to run in at all I when I started, most of mine has been in sales or comes from TK Maxx which is an excellent place for really good gear, these days I run in a short sleeved tech top with a long sleeve hooded top over that and Ron Hill Tracksters for trousers, I do have running tights which are nice but don't seem as windproof as the Tracksters 

• Options

Hi I am gutted, my shin splints just won't go away and now I have bad abductor pain. I don't think I have done a run without pain since I started running in November, it's really getting me down. I have booked in for a sports massage at the end of next week and think I will rest until then. I am worried I will loose what little fitness I have, anyone got any tips for recovery? Thanks. 

• Options
    Lots of wine! Seriously though probably very light exercise just to keep loose and mobile and wait till you see the professionals. Good luck.
  • Options
    Also try some ice and ibuprofen all depends on level of strain it may bd slight or could be a tear so do NOT overdo it, hope it hearz soon.
  • Options
    jooles2 wrote (see)

Hi I am gutted, my shin splints just won't go away and now I have bad abductor pain. I don't think I have done a run without pain since I started running in November, it's really getting me down. I have booked in for a sports massage at the end of next week and think I will rest until then. I am worried I will loose what little fitness I have, anyone got any tips for recovery? Thanks. 

Jooles

have you tried a calf stretcher board? You can get them for about £20 online, I find the stretch deeper than relying on myself leaning against walls after my run. I got one after reading about shin splints being caused by tight calf muscles.

I also went for Asics shoes which helped my over pronation enormously.

• Options
    Lots of wine! Seriously though probably very light exercise just to keep loose and mobile and wait till you see the professionals. Good luck.
  • Options
    Jooles2, that is not good, hopefully the massage will help. I also have bad pains today after my 3 mile run this morning. I am definitely going to a sports shop that can do gait analysis as I know my feet arch over and im going to buy some decent trainers
  • Options

Hi all and welcome to the thread newbies! Lots of great runs lately.  Sorry you re having jooles.  I've had some mild shin pain but think its largely down to getting into this running lark rather than an injury. I would echo what others have advised; rest from running, gentle walking etc.  Have you thought about cross training I.e bike, rowing machine in the gym? It should keep your fitness levels up without aggravating the injury.

Well done Slap and Nathanoz on the weight losses.  1lb off for me on Thursday.   Only another 17.5lbs to go until my absolute ideal weight.

Slap, I went out for my 20 min run on Thursday.   Was a little disappointed as onky managed 13 mins continuous running, walking for 2 then ran the rest of the 5 mins.  However,  when I checked the stats when I got home I realised I'd been going far to fast - I must of got carried away image. I'd been running close to 10 min/mile.  Going to try again next Thursday and slow it down.  We're up to 3x5 min runs with the running club schedule, so they're nice wee runs to do to fit round my individual 'longer' run. I'm finding that the running is starting to feel more natural, the longer I'm running in one go.

Clothing wise, I'm still building up to my running tights.image

Have a good week all.

Nicky

• Options

Hi thanks everyone for advice and support. I haven't heard of the calf stretcher board but will look into it. I got fitted for trainers that have helped but not completely. I was unsure about going out on my bike but think I will go for it mid week, by then I will be climbing the walls to get out. 

Nicky go for the tights, I look very silly in mine but they help me feel like a runner and they do make a difference. 

Happy running everyone!

• Options

Well done Happybunny, 13mins is still really good !!!  I'm sure you'll do the full 20 next week image

Jooles, hope your pains get sorted out soon, I haven't heard of the calf stretchers either, so much to learn!

I have yet to buy running tights..... maybe when I can do 30mins I will treat myself.. though my initial promise to myself was a massage!

Did my 3rd run this morning, 4 x 5mins and it was amazingly ok!  Roll on Wednesday and the beginning of my week 5.... 8 mins x 3 !

• Options

Jooles hope your shins feel better soon, rest and plenty of gentle stretching, I still have problems with mine on and off, the bike should be fine or swimming, water aerobics are also great for keeping up fitness.

Happy bunny 13 mins is still great and you will do the 20 next week I am sure 

Slap well done and good luck with your week 5

I went to the gym today as I was short on time, managed 2.5 miles so I am happy with that.

• Options

So today I went and had gait analysis at a professional sports shop. It was great to see how I ran on video in slow motion! and that the pronation was mild, but with the right trainers they supplied (Asics Gel) I can tell they are going to help enormously opposed to my old standard trainer.

I also know I have been over doing it. My knees are really sore and I simply went into 5k 3 times a week after not running for a long time, so must slow down and build up. Just not sure how long I should rest for or go back out and do short runs (maybe a mile)?   

• Options
    Gait analysis is great isn't it, although some people turn their nose up at it because they so you only get the proper analysis at say a sports centre and takes hours. But I went to a local shop and it worked for me image have a few days off running Nathanoz and utube some pre-run stretching. I had similar problems last year and with stretching and a mix of long and shorter runs have been fine. Hope your knees get better soon.
  • Options
    5km tonight, no stitch this time so alot better. 31 seconds faster than Saturday's parkrun so thats now a pb image
  • Options
    Well done Nick, I've run tonight to, just 2 miles for me though.
  • Options

Nathan that sounds just like me, I went from 1 mile to 3 too quickly and ignored pain too long. This weekend my body felt like it was hit by a bus, so I am resting all week. I really think slow progress is the best way to go. Hope your knees feel better soon. 

• Options

Hope the new shoes work out well for you Nathan

Well done Nick and congratulations on the PB

Jooles hope the rest this week helps you, are you doing some cross training instead to keep up the fitness?

• Options

Hi all,

Many thanks for your warm welcome.  I have just a read through and you have all been doing great things, I can only aspire to!  Jooles, sorry to hear you are in pain.  Sounds like you have been given lots of good advice.  Fingers crossed the sports massage helps. happybunny, well done on running 13 minutes+5 mins!  I find the app I use really helpful as it tells me my pace every now and then, and keeps me from charging off!

I start week 3 of c25k today - not feeling the best as think may have caught stomach bug from my niece, but the pull of my calendared runs is too much!  Fingers crossed I can step up to the run 3 mins part of this week...

Happy running all!

• Options
    Good evening all,

Nathan hows the 50 mile challenge going?

Kaleidoscope hope you manage to get your run in without being ill and Jooles I hope your week of rest is recovering you well.

And Caroline, I hope you're recovering well and will soon be back out there with us.
  • Options

Mummysaurus, I am not doing anything this week other than walking the dogs which is pretty painful. I think I might cycle and swim next week, however the more I read the more I think I have a stress fracture which will mean about 8 Weeks of not running. At least it will be warmer by then! Thanks kaleidoscope and peter for kind words. Reading what everyone is doing is keeping me motivated!

• Options

Thanks Peter, back in and feel bit better actually! Proud I ran my 3min intervals image

i tried to work on my breathing a bit more as I tend to have shallow, gaspy breathing going on... Does anyone have any tips for learning how to breathe more efficiently? I had asthma as a child and find it difficult to breathe in deeply while running, but not sure if these things are related.

• Options
    Well done kaleidoscope I'll be interested to see what advice you get for your breathing as it's my biggest problem too. However I've just got impatient waiting to see if I get in for the great north run in October (my first ever half marathon) so I've signed up and paid for my local half marathon in 6weeks .Gulp. image
  • Options
    Good luck with that Nick.

Re breathing I'm the same be interested in any advice as well.
  • Options
    I don't seem to struggle with my breathing so much as I was told a certain way a long time ago and it works for me. At first I had to concentrate hard on it but it gets easier. I simply ensure I take deep breaths each time and in a rhythm, inhaling for three strides and exhaling for two. Took me a while to do this as it sounds easy but it's also easy to forget and go back to shallow short breaths. It certainly helped me and I think distance wise it helped me increase, it's just my muscles and joints letting me down at the moment!
  • Options

Thanks, Nathan, that is similar to what I was trying to do last night.  I tried to breathe out for 2 and in for 2 strides.  It is difficult to do.  Sometimes I find it hard to breathe in for 2 strides, but could breathe out for much longer - what's with that?!  I go to Pilates 3 times a week and tried to 'belly breathe' and stay aware of my breathing as you do at pilates, but it can be hard to sustain.  Maybe it is something to work on just, and it will come as I practice.

On a lighter note, I run with my labrador, Ember, who would just canter on happily for days, while I'm worrying about breathing and gasping like a fish out of water (at times!) behind her.  I often think she looks at me as if to say, "what's the big deal, mum?" Oh to be as agile, fit and carefree as a lab!!

• Options

Wow, Nick, a half marathon in 6 weeks!  I'll only have finished c25k by then.  That's fantastic.  Although, now I'm not sure if you are truly a newbie?!!! Only joking image

• Options

kaleidoscope, it is not an easy thing to do. It does take a lot of practice. Stick at it and I am sure you will get there. I remember it took me quite a while, I still have to think consciously now about getting it right.

I used to take my dogs with me, could only take one at a time though and one would be all over the place while the other is perfect off the lead and just runs along side me, I feel guilty only taking one so stopped and just have to walk them separate to my run!