RW Forum 5 - Sub 3

Comments

• FergFerg ✭✭✭
    Millsy1977 wrote (see)
    If its any consolation I got my first sub 3 in April and the majority of my long runs (including mid week ones) were run between 8.30-9.15 miles.
    As with a few of the Asics contestants I think they have picked people who are more or less a " shoo in" for the time rather than people that may get there if they work a lot harder than usual.

Millsy1977, well done on your sub-3. What sort of speedwork did you do to get that time?

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    Tuesdays I did either 8x400 or 6x1k or hill repeats - on a 3 week rota.

Thursdays was a tempo session anywhere between 5-8 miles.

Every other Saturday I did a Parkrun.

I also did 3 tune up races. 1x half as fast as I could.

1x half at MP with a 7 mile warm down and a 10 mile race flat out with a 5 mile warm up and 3 mile cool down.

Nearly all my other milage was slow (9/m/m)
  • FergFerg ✭✭✭

Millsy1977 - That's a nice varied approach to speedwork, thanks for sharing your training.

I've been resisting adding in mile or hill repeats to date, but the time has come!

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    Just for info I was wasn't always doing all 3 every week. And if I'd raced hard in the Sunday then the Tuesday intervals may have been dropped if I wasn't feeling 100%.
  • FergFerg ✭✭✭

I read between the lines there!

• Millsy that sounds like my kind of training. I love racing to get me used to that feeling of pressure.  Unfortunately I can't find a half between now and my marathon in March.

Instead I have found a 15 mile off road so it will be more about effort as opposed to speed and a 5 mile warm up. I have a few other shorter things planned where I can work on speed. 

Last night I did track session of 1k x 8 aiming for 3.45 but managing 3.40 on 6 of them.

Today a very slow MLR at 8.15mm ( getting slower Gobi image ) it helps having done track last night and then running again next morning. I couldn't have gone fast if I tried. 

Gobi...I have 20 mls in my plan this week at 7.30 pace.? is that allowed ?

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    Yes the racing helps give me the confidence that I do have the required pace in my legs without having to bash out too many fast long training runs.
  • Good to see the training going well Doppy. Out of interest, how do you feel this approach (with the slower paces runs) is working for you in terms of your goal?

I'm also following Rogers sub 3 thread too and find the difference in tactics between his and yours interesting. Having had the coaching from Steve a couple of years ago, I can vouch for the regular speed work that helped me. What I found the most beneficial was the Long runs where I used to have the faster MP miles in them at the end. Previously I had trouble with cramp in the latter stages and the MP miles in the long runs helped immensely, replicating the MP stresses on tired legs.

Even though you and Rogers approach may be different, you are both doing different kinds of training than you were previously.

• This is very different training for me this time . The high mileage is so much greater than I'm used to and also running six days a week is very new to me. I've only ever run four days a week before, however I am coping well with no injuries so far and I feel okay. I'm sure I feel okay because I am running a lot slower on my long runs although gobi might dispute that. I did my 1at LR with mp last week. It was hard but it was a real confidence boost to know that I can do it. My LAN isnow getting a bit faster which I quote like and it does help me slow down a bit on the LRs. The proof will be 16 th march to see odor all works.
  • Sorry about all the errors . Predictive text crap!
  • GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    why are you doing 20 @ mp plus 35 ? what do you think it achieves that you wont get doing it at say 8.15 pace ?

would it be on the schedule if i was your coach? No is the Answer.
  • don't know what you mean? 20@mp plus 35???? The 15 mile off road race is not this week. The 20@ 7.30 pace is this week. Maybe I didn't make that clear.

•   35 secs slower than marathon pace Doppy image

• oh ok, so I will go long and slow instead. Thanks. I guess a lot of people read these training plans and do what they recommend because they don't know any better ( which is why they follow a printed plan!) it's nice to have someone tell me otherwise.

• TRTR ✭✭✭

Doppy - Champions do the training that they need to do not the training that they'd like to do. You need to learn some pace patience and where your handbrake is, because you'll be needing them on race day. Gobi knows his onions.

• which is why I was questioning my plan of such a fast 20 miler 

• TRTR ✭✭✭

I see, but I would ask Gobi your recommended paces for long runs not plan them yourself, thats what he's there for.

• I am not planning them myself. They are on the plan I am following and Everyweek I check with Gobi about pacing

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    doppyashton wrote (see)

which is why I was questioning my plan of such a fast 20 miler 

oh, I thought it what you were planning to run, as in you set the paces yourself. 

• No. it is the RW plan very similar to the one Roger is doing, except he does it faster.

• I think the running more i.e. 6 times a week rather than 4 can only help as the body is getting used to adjusted to being used more. I found my biggest improvement was when I went initially from 3 up to 4 times a week and now in mara training 6 days a week. And I think the running slower helps too.

I've been heading advice on here too and doing more slower miles where I can. Like tonight I did 4 x 2000m reps @ 6.04 pace, but the 1.5 mile run there was at 8.15 pace and back it was 8.35 pace. Previously I would have gone quicker there & back, but the point of the session was the reps and not the warm up/down pace.

• GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Glad that is all cleared up.

No faster than 8.15 pace DA

:??)
  • It's gone very quiet on here...

• Busy busy ...... Good week. Have done planned sessions at planned paces. Swim with tri club this morning for 1.5 hrs then did progressive run home (10miles). Long run went well this week. 21 miles average pace 8.14. No nausea.
  • marrowsmarrows ✭✭✭

Good to hear it Doppy! Still on the wacky diet?

• Marrows, yes the no sugar and more fat diet going well. Seems to be the latest fashion at the moment. Lots in the media about it. 

Looking at the wind and rain at the moment trying to muster enthusiasm to run !

• local hilly 10 k done this morning. must admit a was lacking enthusiasm, but as it is a series of 5 races over the winter( this being no. 4) I needed to do it. So far 1st lady in all 4. Looking forward to the overall prize of a free night in a nice hotel and dinner.

• That sounds like a worthwhile prize doppy. I near killed myself to win a race series over the summer just to come away with a medal!