RW Forum 5 - Sub 3

Comments

• GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Goth - oh for sure happy to see SLOW miles but what I was getting at really was NO FASTER than 8.15 and less miles. 5 miles is NOT a recovery run.

Hell fire I have a habit of running 9 plus :??)

DA - I have put some comments above about what you should do and also asked you questions to make you think about the plan.

I have a feeling I know why you have not gone sub 3 - you lack specificity and are thinking about the races you are doing along the way.

The marathon is the goal therefore ALL races between now and the marathon are training and should NOT be tapered for but run on tired legs.

I could say what the hell have you been out at 18 miles for in December when the marathon is MONTHS AWAY.

Forget MP, right now it is not important you just need to build the aerobic engine, if you are out at 18 then do 18 @ around 8.30 pace
  • Ah, but Doppy is doing Barca, and that's not that far away really. Certainly closer than London, and I did my first 18 yesterday in training for that. (At 8.26 pace).

• GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    ah I missed that somehow so I do apologise to DA as that is about 11 weeks away.

That said I would do 20 @ 8.30 pace rather than 18 then :??)
  • GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    DA - how about a list of all events you have planned between now and the 16th March please :??)
  • MinniMinni ✭✭✭

I've done 3 20s in the last 4 weeks. image

• mini you are in trouble! too many 20s too soon according to my mentor. Gobi that is the only race I have planned but it will not be at race pace. oh I forgot about a 10 k on26 th January .

So 20 this weekend at 8.30... never ran that slowly before. might need to take a book to read with me! what pace should I do my mid week MLRS at? Are you fed up with me yet?

• GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    DA - I guess it depends on the ultimate goal, I shall confess that as an ultra distance runner I did 2 x 20plus most weeks for about 6 months of the year but this was backed up with big volume all around

Never run that slowly before and also faded towards the end of all your marathons even though you have a 1.21 half PB - penny dropping yet ?

Wednesday - No slower than 8.15 pace and no faster than 7.45 pace.

Am I fed up yet? No not yet but you do need to read all of my comments before asking more questions :??)

just saying,,,,,,,,
  • GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    What do you mean already ?

I'm always grumpy I just have periods of less grumpy :??)
  • You crack me up Gobiimage

SUB 3:05 is alright, lit image

I've done plenty of long runs too, including a 20. Off to join Minni on the naughty step ....

Seriously, what's wrong with long runs at this stage? I run them slow so they don't knacker me. I'm coming back from a nasty back injury and my paces have dropped dramatically since I upped the miles so it can't be wrong can it?

(quickly running for cover now)...
  • I get the feeling if you are used to doing lots and lots of long runs then running them at this stage is fine.......but if you haven't got years of doing mega long runs all year around them maybe to early/........

am i right...... am I rightimage.........or should I slip back to the slowcoach threads image

• TRTR ✭✭✭

Seren - if you are used to 20s and do them slowly then the odd 18 to 20 can be done to keep the "memory" alive and the endurance high, but long runs are tough on the body and take their toll especially if done too quickly. Running long and running fast are the two biggest risks and must be managed, too many long runs or too many long fast runs and you risk burning out during the campaign.............I had only run one longish run in the last 6 weeks since the Gosport 1/2 mara, and I jumped back in with a 18 last weekend, it was a long way and I struggled to make the distance but it will give my body a boost and the next one should be easier. It wouldnt be wise to do that sort of thing too often though. 

• I am looking at running long runs 12 to 20 miles at 7 minute to 8 minute mile pace average. Mid week I will run 2 or 3 paced runs between 5 to 8 miles between 6 to 7 minute mile pace average or run intervals. In later stages I will I run two runs between 12 to 16 miles at 7 minute mile pace, marathon specific runs. Taper two weeks will consist of 3 or 4 days of running 30 to 40 minutes at 7 minute mile pace. Recovery/rest days will be days off or gym/cycling.

I will run 3 marathons within a 4 month period in 2014, like I did in 2013. I am looking at running 5k in sub 18 mins, 10k in sub 38 minutes, HM in sub 85 minutes. 

I do not follow any specific training plan. I simply run when I feel like it. 

• roadwarrior are all 4 of your marathons sub 3?

• GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Afternoon DA

Chicka :??)

Seren - the body need a break no matter how use to long runs you are

I should let TR mentor as he sounds just like me except I would have freaked if someone I coached went out and ran and 18 having done nothing over 13.1 for 6 weeks :??)

RW - are you a troll ? I thought you were a 2.20 man until I saw your modest 5/10km/half targets - I think you are in the wrong thread.
  • Why should it matter? I know I am capable of running much faster times than sub 3 hours in a marathon. I am capable of running a time that I know I am capable of and I do not need to have ran a sub 3 hour in the past. The past is the past and should stay in the past. The only thing that matters is now. 

My fastest mile is sub 5 minutes. I am working towards running a sub 2 hour and 50 minute marathon time within the next year or two. 

10 years ago I ran my all time PBs for 5k and 10k. I ran sub 16 minutes for 5k and sub 35 minutes for 10k. I do not use those times as indicator now because they were ran a long time ago. I would like to get closer to my younger self but I have a lot of work to do. 

I revise my goals and say I want a sub 17 minute 5k, sub 36 minute 10k and a sub 80 minute HM time. 

• GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    So no then.

Any chance you can leave this thread so I can mentorDA without your vision of your brilliance?
  • Gobi, I think I love you. No beating around the bush!

RW - try the team GB thread. You'll fit right in.

• TRTR ✭✭✭

Gobi -  I did a 16 or 17 within that 6 weeks. And had done a few 20s in the Summer when I was dithering wether to do ABo or not. In the 18 I also went past my finishline at 16 and 17M just in case I needed to stop.......great approach so far, sounds like I have learned a bit over the last few years. If Doppy applies her handbrake and follows your advice then she will do well, its not how hard you train and how much energy you can expend in the cmapaign after all, its how well you run on the big day that matters.  

• GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Indeed TR indeed :??)
  • I must say this is great reading! looking forward to seeing what distances and paces DA does this week after all that good advice! Go get em Lassimage

• GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Happy New Year DA and others who are hanging around.

I wish you all success with your training and targets in 2014.

I'm off to parkrun :??)
  • most normal people were having a lie in or nursing hangovers this morning. Not me! up. at 7am, coffee and toast, 40 min dog walk then off for my MLR before the weather got too bad. 14 miles averaging 7.45. I think that should be ok with you Gobi? was aiming for 12 but floods forced a detour. Rest day tomorrow and back to work.

• Good start to the year Doppy image

• Happy New Year all image

Great MLR there, doppy. I'm working tomorrow too :-/

Slow run with Mr Chick today. He's officially in fat camp now and I'm his drill sergeant (cue evil smiley)
  • MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    doppyashton wrote (see)

most normal people were having a lie in or nursing hangovers this morning. Not me! up. at 7am, coffee and toast, 40 min dog walk then off for my MLR before the weather got too bad. 14 miles averaging 7.45. I think that should be ok with you Gobi? was aiming for 12 but floods forced a detour. Rest day tomorrow and back to work.

I'm in your camp doppy. Up this morning for a couple of miles with the dog then off for an off road 10k complete with hills, mud, the lot.  Massive PB for me.  What do you mean it measured short...? image I thought we all decided you ignore the course measurement on the garmin. image

• GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Easy morning for me with organisation and then a jog round Newbury parkrun

DA - nice run but too fast. What happened to 8mm ? When I said don't stress exactly 8mm and then said no slower than 8.15 I didn't expect you to suddenly run at less than MP + 1min.

I'm just here for advice and my advice is slow down
  • You said MLR at 7.45 to 8.15. Ok I was at the top end. I'm listening. I will go slower on next one
  • Can I add that I did have a howling gale pushing me along for the last 5 miles. But yes I hear you load and clear. SLOW SLOW is my running chant. This morning I was singing along to my music while running to make me go slower. Gonna look for slower beat songs now.
  • GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Top end means to avg 7.45 you have spent too much time running faster than 7.45

I live to haunt your thoughts when running :??)

Slow down ....

Slow down ............

Slow down ......................

:??)